Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oscarthewilde

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

caspergers posted:

I listened to the audiobook and recommend. The idiolect the narrator gives to Ignatius is so funny and perfect. Got any recs that are more like this book, in terms of humor?

its not exactly the same, but Pynchon is pretty close. he's got the same knack for mixing ironically pretentious intellectualism with a lot of innuendo and other basic body humour. imho inherent vice is probably his most accessible book, but they're all fantastic. also a great movie for that matter

in other news: hey byob book thread! i've been continuing my quest to read all of Jose Saramago's books with Balthasar and Blimunda, a vaguely magical realist social satire set in 18th century Portugal, around the time of the Great Lissabon Earthquake. It's a bit confronting at times (one of the main characters lost his left hand, and my Mom got into a bad accident a couple of weeks ago and lost 2 of her fingers on her left hand. after 6 hours of surgery, they managed to save her index and middle finger but it's still uncertain how useful they'll be), and the narrator isn't quite as ironic and interesting as he is in other works, but it's still a drat good read. Definitely one of my favourite authors

oscarthewilde fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dumb Sex-Parrot

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Alfred Hitchcock was involved in that they put his name on the covers.

Was that the series that had "red herrings" in the text? Like actually mentioned as such.

I was more a DetektivtvillingarnaTvillingdetektiverna kid, but I read a few of the three detectives ones. Jack McGurk, Agaton Sax, and Ture Sventon were OK, too. And Astrid Lindgren wrote (at least) three kid detective novels which I read like AT LEAST TWICE each.

The only concrete thing I remember was their headquarters was an old caravan that was hidden under a pile of junk at their aunt's(?) junkyard. Also I'm pretty sure they once in a while visited Alfred to report about their latest adventures.

I don't think I have ever read any of Astrid Lindgren's books. I had a teacher who read Mio min Mio in class once.

thank you Saoshyantx4, Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss for the excellent signature

3D Megadoodoo

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

The only concrete thing I remember was their headquarters was an old caravan that was hidden under a pile of junk at their aunt's(?) junkyard. Also I'm pretty sure they once in a while visited Alfred to report about their latest adventures.

I don't think I have ever read any of Astrid Lindgren's books. I had a teacher who read Mio min Mio in class once.

I've read the master detective Kalle Blomqvist books and the Emil books. I tried to read some others but got hell of bored.

Oh yeah and Ronja.

baka of lathspell
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
im glad this thread is still busy. i got more into unfinished tales, reading about hurin? i think (or turin) and his adventures as an outlaw

im in the middle of dennis lehanes since we fell also

i spent 2 weeks in a school library and kids returned things like 70 days late all the time (no fines lol)

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

3D Megadoodoo

Still mad at Lehane for completely spoiling the plot of one of his books in the next book, because I bought both and read them in the wrong order.

baka of lathspell
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Still mad at Lehane for completely spoiling the plot of one of his books in the next book, because I bought both and read them in the wrong order.

he does that poo poo all the time. it was a joy tho finally reading darkness take my hand after seeing him refer to it in like every subsequent book

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Rags to Liches

future skeleton soldier

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Why didn't you just borrow them?

I did, they just told me to keep them when I went to turn them back in. They’d do that every so often throughout the year, just let us English nerds keep some books to make room for new ones. Some godawful crap but some pretty good stuff like the Once and Future King, I still don’t know why they wanted to get rid of that, it owns.

3D Megadoodoo

Anti-royalist, probs

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 28, 2023

ThePopeOfFun

just picked up a bunch of books i put on hold at the library. libraries rule.

3D Megadoodoo

i only go to the library to vote,
because i already have books

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

Liarmouth, a new John Waters book. It's sleazy and weird like his movies but things get even stupider and more insane as it goes. Just a goofy little nasty book and it was fun

the unabonger
I'm currently reading Meddling Kids by Edgar Cantero.

It's pretty entertaiing so far, I definitely like Cantero's writing style. Not super positive about the lesbian character's portrayal, and I hope it gets better, but am worried it will get worse.

I most recently read A Headful of Ghosts, which was pretty good. Another author I just generally like the writing style and voice of in Paul Tremblay.

Been on a horror kick lately.

3D Megadoodoo

The crime novel I just started reading on the bus introduced two beat cops and their names are Ketchup and Karate and I don't know if this is supposed to be a joke. Is this what Dutch humour is like?

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Dutch humour

404 Not Found

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

beer pal

im haveing a great time reading against the day by thomas pynchon

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

3D Megadoodoo

beer pal posted:

im haveing a great time reading against the day by thomas pynchon

Python is 10/10. Glad I read.

Rags to Liches

future skeleton soldier

Started on the Reality Dysfunction which is the first book of the Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F Hamilton and I have no idea what's happening at all, it's nuts. I've heard the trilogy's a good read, so I'm gonna stick with it and see if the pacing evens out since I think I'm still at the 'holy crap, the scope here is insane and he's not letting anything breathe' stage.

caspergers
Read Gravity's Rainbow five years ago and I was way too dumb understand it. I will revisit with my new experience of five years and crush it like it was Dr Seuss

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

baka of lathspell
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
reading ray bradbury's "zen in the art of writing,"

caspergers posted:

Read Gravity's Rainbow five years ago and I was way too dumb understand it. I will revisit with my new experience of five years and crush it like it was Dr Seuss

thats the spirit

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Finger Prince

I finished the last book from the Shadows of the Apt series by Adrian Tchaikovsky.
Overall the whole series was really very enjoyable. Book 5 wasn't very good, but it introduces important plot points that are relevant later on.
Mostly the series is about war, and revolves around various wars, but it's told in a fashion that is very honest and does not glorify it at all. It pulls a lot of parallels to our own history of war, but that I think is what makes it believable, even with the fantastic elements.
The characters are very well written in general and undergo changes based on what they experience, and there is depth there where there isn't really "the good guy" or "the bad guy" (though there is a "good" theme - freedom, and "bad" - tyranny and slavery).
It's probably not to everyone's tastes, but I really profoundly enjoyed it.

Ass-penny

going to finish Termination Shock soon, getting to that part of a Stephenson book where the seemingly unconnected threads start to come together. probably reading some Terry Pratchett soon since a homie dropped a bunch of his books off at my place and Small Gods was good.

the unabonger
I am now on a Stephen graham Jones kick. I really enjoyed The Only Good Indian and am currently enjoying My Heart is a Chainsaw. Horror is very entertaining for me right now.

3D Megadoodoo

the unabonger posted:

I am now on a Stephen graham Jones kick. I really enjoyed The Only Good Indian and am currently enjoying My Heart is a Chainsaw. Horror is very entertaining for me right now.

You should try BOO!

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Howl's Moving Castle. I really wanted to like this. I tried getting through it twice but couldn't. The story sound like it should be exciting: a titular moving castle; wizard hired to kill evil witch; fire demons, etc. The writing is just so dull. I kept falling asleep reading it. It's won plenty of awards, so maybe it's just me.

3D Megadoodoo

Buttchocks posted:

Howl's Moving Castle. I really wanted to like this. I tried getting through it twice but couldn't. The story sound like it should be exciting: a titular moving castle; wizard hired to kill evil witch; fire demons, etc. The writing is just so dull. I kept falling asleep reading it. It's won plenty of awards, so maybe it's just me.

Maybe go back 20 years and read it as a kid?

slushpuppy
Anna Karenina -This book is long
Whatever - This houellebecq guy is hosed up but the book is short

Ass-penny

I'm like halfway through Guards Guards already dang Pratchett books read pretty fast

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

rear end-penny posted:

I'm like halfway through Guards Guards already dang Pratchett books read pretty fast

That's because of how great they are :hai:

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

xcheopis

"argh random fluctuations of the space-time continuum!"

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

rear end-penny posted:

Been slowly making my way across the whole of his ouvre and yeah they go fast.

Finger Prince

I read City of Last Chances by Adrian Tchaikovsky. A nice standalone book about revolution, magic, and some deeper mysteries. I like how he writes about magic. It's not something prescribed that you learn about in wizard school or something, it's mysterious and primal. I've read several of his fantasy novels now and he has a knack for describing something succinctly (?) and letting your own imagination fill in the gaps, so that you understand what's going on intuitively. If that makes sense.

Oh I totally forgot, I love how he characterizes God/Gods in the book. Really well done and kind of uniquely interesting.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 4, 2023

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

Last Tango in Cyberspace. not sure if this will be a good cyberpunk book or a bad one, so far the opening has been sub-Gibson so here's hoping it picks up. Also picked up A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius and that's a good, if dense, comic conceit for a novel/memoir.

barclayed

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"
i still heavily enjoy YA books (mostly John Green) and after starting Will Grayson, Will Grayson (a book he co-wrote with David Levithan) i wanted to check out Levithan's other works. just finished Every Day, a book about a person, referred to only as 'A', who wakes up every day in a new body. he tries to leave these people's lives as undisturbed as he can. and he's good at it. until he falls in love with a person he meets.

there is a paragraph that i resonate very deeply with, which is penned when he wakes up in the body of a transgender person.

"It is an awful thing to be betrayed by your body. And it's lonely, because you feel you can't talk about it. You feel it's something between you and the body. You feel it's a battle you will never win... and yet you fight it day after day, and it wears you down. Even if you try to ignore it, the energy it takes to ignore it will exhaust you."

anyways, good book. i still have to finish Will Grayson, Will Grayson and Let it Snow.

"What I wouldn't give to return to those halcyon days."

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

Veniss Underground : A newly reissued collection of Jeff Vandermeer's early stuff set in yet another bizarre Chia Mieville type setting. (The other is Ambergris)

Billa

The Emperor protects.
Im reading the biography of Oppenheimer (not for the film but out of curiosity) and god drat, it has to feel good to be the boss of Einstein.

Bilirubin

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Veniss Underground : A newly reissued collection of Jeff Vandermeer's early stuff set in yet another bizarre Chia Mieville type setting. (The other is Ambergris)

I really liked this one!

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if you have the money and the patience, you can Hello Kitty anything

Thank you deep dish peat moss!
3D Megadoodoo

Billa posted:

Im reading the biography of Oppenheimer (not for the film but out of curiosity) and god drat, it has to feel good to be the boss of Einstein.

"Hey Albert, do the meemee (that's how it was spelled back in those days) face again! Yeah nah that's an order, I am death incarnate and all that and everything, remember?"

Anyway I read Highsmith's A Game for the Living and I agree with the author's own thoughts on it:

Partricia Highsmith posted:

This is my worst book, so please think twice before you buy it.

Dumb Sex-Parrot

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
I saw someone on Twitter talking about a book featuring The Picts, which were a people inhabiting Scotland back in the first millenium. Anyway I "gave" it to myself for Christmas and finally got around to reading it.

thank you Saoshyantx4, Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss for the excellent signature

3D Megadoodoo

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I saw someone on Twitter talking about a book featuring The Picts, which were a people inhabiting Scotland back in the first millenium. Anyway I "gave" it to myself for Christmas and finally got around to reading it.

Is it good? When I was in school, everything about picts was about 100% "WE JUST DON'T KNOW!?!?!?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dumb Sex-Parrot

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Is it good? When I was in school, everything about picts was about 100% "WE JUST DON'T KNOW!?!?!?"

It was published in November last year and says it has a lot of the latest research. It's also very wordy and I haven't gotten too far, but the pictures are nice. Here's a review: https://www.scotsman.com/arts-and-c...s-evans-3930845