Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think you can save the oil. Not sure on how to keep it non rancid.

You can also mix it with some diesel and burn it in your VW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Truck stop shower lube.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

i will say maybe 3 weeks ago i made apple fritters based off this thread. i liked them more once they had cooled. and wasnt really sure what to do with the oil. idk throwing it out seems weird but thats what the internet told me.

You can keep frying things in it until the taste is off, but most people just don’t deep fry enough at home to make that worthwhile. If donuts are a sometimes thing, dump the oil and factor it into the cost of donuts when you make them at home.

freddiestarfish
Dec 4, 2005
I LIKE RABBITS

Elephanthead posted:

I think you can save the oil. Not sure on how to keep it non rancid.

You can also mix it with some diesel and burn it in your VW.

You can separate out the oil from any water and crap with a high speed centrifugal separator, then purge the oxygen and store in a sealed nitrogen blanketed container.
Or i dunno, put it in a bottle with a lid on and it should be ok for a while i guess.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

freddiestarfish posted:

You can separate out the oil from any water and crap with a high speed centrifugal separator, then purge the oxygen and store in a sealed nitrogen blanketed container.

hmmm think I'll give this a try tomorrow

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Do it the cool kid way with gelatin

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I been broke and busy but pretty soon I’ll have proofer money and I’ll do a few runs with my sick-rear end mixer.

10lbs flour 5lbs eggs 5lbs butter 20 oz sugar 4 oz salt and 12 oz yeast makes like 200 doughnuts I’m pretty sure.

I’ll need to buy a divider but in the mean time I think I’ll enjoy the challenge of filling the proofer before the first tray needs to fry.

Shortening they say should be at least 15% new every time and a lot of filtration machines and stuff like that can be had to help prolong the life of your shortening. It’s like $100 or more to fill a standard doughnut fryer so it makes sense to take care of it. A lot of people advise tasting a bit of the fryer shortening before turning the fryer on to ensure that there aren’t any off flavors in there to kill you on yelp. This past winter I had two pans’ worth of oil last me like five sessions because it was cold in the garage and I was able to get most of the crumbs out. I’d imagine that most restaurant fryers aren’t quite as clean. Shortening is definitely expensive but the average goes down as you make more doughnuts.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
If you want to min/max your oil life but don't want to actually buy a filter, consider the following technique:

https://www.seriouseats.com/clean-cooking-oil-with-gelatin-technique

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Gelatin makes whipped cream a lot stiffer too gelatin is great

Thanks horses.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm genuinely glad this is still happening OP

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
What happened to the 480 donut/hr machine?

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Pretty sure it’s still in dude’s mom’s garage. Look up belshaw adamatic 618

Rationale fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 21, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Tarnop posted:

I'm genuinely glad this is still happening OP

Lol if you think this is happening.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

ok that was mean, I will be better

coconono fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 21, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

coconono posted:

How many donuts can you make before the divorce is finalized challenge

Please don’t shitpost about people’s families in BFC. See the rules thread, don’t be an rear end in a top hat.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Workin 630pm-7am with pipes hotter than my oven and everyone is like “baking is hard you are naive”

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Rationale posted:

Workin 630pm-7am in a completely different industry and everyone is like “you need a business plan you are naive”

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
werent the zaurg sagas in bfc? they were pretty cruel, but maybe its ok once a poster shits in their own well enough...

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Make $3442/wk on the all day every day.

That’s about $500 a day

Then the bennies are like another forty percent so call it $700 per day in net revenue before there’s opportunity costs associated with dicking around. It just seems so attainable to me?

Anyway I’m buying a divider and a proofer because I want to make a whole mixer full of yeast dough real real bad

I think a whole mixer full will make about 200 and that should serve as a relative benchmark like if frying and finishing 200 is easy peasy lemon squeasy I’ll scale up but if it’s difficult pifficult lemon squifficult I’ll obviously have to change something.

I need to get a proofer to proof my concept lol

Rationale fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 31, 2023

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

werent the zaurg sagas in bfc? they were pretty cruel, but maybe its ok once a poster shits in their own well enough...

They were, and they were deservedly cruel because he is a lovely human being who (if we don't assume it's the longest ongoing troll in the forum's history) mocked other people losing their children, spent money he didn't have on his own pleasures at the expense of his own children, and basically took a steaming dump on everyone who tried to help him in good faith.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Rationale posted:

Make $3442/wk on the all day every day.

Ok, I don't want to be a debbie downer, but I don't think you will make this in donuts and coffee.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Truly wild that a guy who’s eagerly crushing his extremely lucrative job wants to pivot into a business with a million pitfalls and stupidly thin margins. Goon in the well donut hole.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Truly wild that a guy who’s eagerly crushing his extremely lucrative job wants to pivot into a business with a million pitfalls and stupidly thin margins. Goon in the well donut hole.

Grass is always greener/more interesting.

The margin on an individual donut is loving insane, the problem is that most places just end up trash canning most of their product, isn't it?

Gotta figure out how to sell those half day old and day old donuts somewhere. Price discrimination. Get a contract with someplace to take most of your remaining product at 2pm for 60% off or something.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Baddog posted:

The margin on an individual donut is loving insane, the problem is that most places just end up trash canning most of their product, isn't it?

Gotta figure out how to sell those half day old and day old donuts somewhere. Price discrimination. Get a contract with someplace to take most of your remaining product at 2pm for 60% off or something.

It's also that the real margin on a donut isn't so insane, but most people don't understand cost accounting, and they say "oh the cost of a donut is a the dough" and don't do things like say oh each donut I sell has to help cover the cost of the lights and gas and insurance.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
They call it overhead cause it’s over my head

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I think a lot of people have dreams like this. gently caress, I definitely do.

Most of us have the sense to not actually do it, though.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Yeah You’re sitting this one (and all the other ones) out because you’re super smart and sophisticated whereas only a stupid rear end in a top hat like me would try to start a business to get financed as a career

You’re the squidward to my spongebob

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Rationale posted:

This is my favorite thread on the forums. If this place ever opens and it's where I think it is I'll make a trip down and grab some.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Baddog posted:

Congratulations on independently inventing Too Good to Go
https://time.com/collection/time100-companies-2022/6159510/too-good-to-go/

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
It’s the day old bread store, but on the internet!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Rationale posted:

Yeah You’re sitting this one (and all the other ones) out because you’re super smart and sophisticated whereas only a stupid rear end in a top hat like me would try to start a business to get financed as a career

See, this is what makes this thread acceptable - Zaurg wasn't even good at burns, let alone budgeting poo poo or making plans for things. You get a :thumbsup: in general.

Though seriously, I wasn't kidding when I mentioned that I had dumb ideas to quit my job and do (whatever) all the time. Golden handcuffs are hard to take off, and mine are something approaching platinum handcuffs once you include the benefits. Every time I actually, seriously consider quitting to do something else, I end up coming back to "wtf will ever make me this kind of money / benefits / time off? loving nothing," and tie myself down for another few years of pharma career.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sundae posted:

See, this is what makes this thread acceptable - Zaurg wasn't even good at burns, let alone budgeting poo poo or making plans for things. You get a :thumbsup: in general.

Though seriously, I wasn't kidding when I mentioned that I had dumb ideas to quit my job and do (whatever) all the time. Golden handcuffs are hard to take off, and mine are something approaching platinum handcuffs once you include the benefits. Every time I actually, seriously consider quitting to do something else, I end up coming back to "wtf will ever make me this kind of money / benefits / time off? loving nothing," and tie myself down for another few years of pharma career.

Terrible adult novels on Kindle :ssh:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rationale posted:

Stupid assholes entirety unlike you also try it.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Sundae posted:

Handcuffs

Yeah these golden handcuffs are sweet but as soon as my back gives out they’re gonna smash my head with a big hammer and put them on someone else. I can squeeze maybe another $5-6 from them by being responsible for ninety-nine assholes and answering my phone 24/7 but my income has basically stagnated and isn’t liable to move much for the rest of my “career”. Generally the work is no problem but I’m going to be singing a different tune in fifteen years and the people that I have to deal with trigger my parasympathetic nervous system.

I drank some 8ball juice and saw the future and if I plug away doin the next ten years like the last ten my kids are gonna be getting expensive and my carpals are gonna be getting tunneled and I’m going to slowly move from the overtime list to the layoff list all right about the same time.

Maybe we’ll strike oil digging in the grease trap I haven’t given up on being rich I just know my job will never ever ever ever ever make me actually rich.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Why you wanna be rich so bad? Anyway, coffee and donuts ain't gonna do it.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I don’t expect to go coffee>>billions

Maybe cafe>>six other things>>idle rich

Maybe get so rich I can afford to lose on housing or bread or something

Like if I play my cards right I can snowball these pipe checks into getting assassinated by the cia

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Feet pics are the road to success.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Rationale posted:

Like if I play my cards right I can snowball these pipe checks into getting assassinated by the cia

Buddy, you need to try to make other people slightly less obscenely rich to get the CIA after you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
So if I can’t have my big dreams let me chase my little ones