Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think it's also possible that creators have a long term plan for their series from the start but have to secure that additional season first before they can start laying down pipe. it might be easier to trojan horse via what initially appears to be an episodic show if a network is quick to cancel new series, or flat out doesn't want a serial show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Flapjack was golden, I will slap you down.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Das Boo posted:

Flapjack was golden, I will slap you down.

also

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

I think it's also possible that creators have a long term plan for their series from the start but have to secure that additional season first before they can start laying down pipe. it might be easier to trojan horse via what initially appears to be an episodic show if a network is quick to cancel new series, or flat out doesn't want a serial show

I know Owl House and Amphibia had a lot of stuff planned out from the start at least (some of which is on display during the early episodes if you’re paying close enough attention) though in the formers case a bit of that apparently got changed/switched around due to the show getting its final season cut down to three double length episodes.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

I know Owl House and Amphibia had a lot of stuff planned out from the start at least (some of which is on display during the early episodes if you’re paying close enough attention) though in the formers case a bit of that apparently got changed/switched around due to the show getting its final season cut down to three double length episodes.

I think it was posted here that owl house created the collector because their episode order got cut.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The 7th Guest posted:

Yeah I'm thinking execs just shoot down long term shows so creators have turned to selling them by going "oh no no no this show is purely episodic we promise" then turning around to their 5-season blueprint and laughing maniacally

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ups_rail posted:

I think it was posted here that owl house created the collector because their episode order got cut.

Actually upon doing some research that might not be entirely true, Dana’s exact wording was they “always wanted” to have a character like him and contrary to what I originally thought it seems the big changes didn’t start until the back half of Season 2 (meaning Knock, Knock, Knocking On Hooty’s Door where we first saw a glimpse of a Collector was made prior to the team finding out about the cancellation)

It’s kind of confusing to be honest and I hope after the show ends in a couple weeks the creators actually come out and explain just how much of the original plan got kept and how much got changed/cut

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 22, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Reminds me of that comic strip with Rebecca Sugar vs Cartoon Network and they're like "We're watching you Sugar..." "So is everyone from 18-35."

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

My understanding was "the collector is planned to be a big thing and our season 3-4 big bad and how we wrap the show"

Disney says "hey, order's been cut"

"OH poo poo COLLECTOR NOW"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject but did the Netflix Carmen Sandiego series share any staff with the Tangled cartoon out of curiosity? I just started watching the former and the artstyle looks somewhat similar

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The Carmen Sandiego show was a Kevn Dart production as far as visual design goes. He’s long produced animation in that style. It was also a Chromosphere production, while Tangled was Mercury Filmworks.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Just wanted to weigh in and say that Regular Show owns. I agree that the formula is pretty established by episode 2, but when I rewatch it I generally skip like the first half of season 1 so I'd say the humor or characters still need a couple episodes to find their footing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

kefkafloyd posted:

The Carmen Sandiego show was a Kevn Dart production as far as visual design goes. He’s long produced animation in that style. It was also a Chromosphere production, while Tangled was Mercury Filmworks.

Ah I see, just curious. I’m only one episode in but the show’s really good so far and Carmen being the actual protagonist is an interesting change of pace (also do they ever use the song at some point?)

Unrelated but how was The Lion Guard out of curiosity (I’ve heard it did some interesting things with Scar’s backstory)?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Larryb posted:

Ah I see, just curious. I’m only one episode in but the show’s really good so far and Carmen being the actual protagonist is an interesting change of pace (also do they ever use the song at some point?)

Unrelated but how was The Lion Guard out of curiosity (I’ve heard it did some interesting things with Scar’s backstory)?

They use the game show theme song in a "bonus" reward scene if you get the good ending in the Netflix choose-your-own-adventure To Steal or Not to Steal. In the next-to-last episode, in the background of a caper in Vienna, they have string musicians play the 1994 animated show music.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

galenanorth posted:

They use the game show theme song in a "bonus" reward scene if you get the good ending in the Netflix choose-your-own-adventure To Steal or Not to Steal. In the next-to-last episode, in the background of a caper in Vienna, they have string musicians play the 1994 animated show music.

Awesome, thanks

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Regular Show is a lot of fun, with the exception of any episode where Mordecai is moping or messing up a relationship. Those are always the worst.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Also the VILE agent that Carmen steals her iconic red coat and hat from is voiced by Rita Moreno, the original voice actor for Carmen Sandiego in the 90s Fox Kids cartoon.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Also the VILE agent that Carmen steals her iconic red coat and hat from is voiced by Rita Moreno, the original voice actor for Carmen Sandiego in the 90s Fox Kids cartoon.

Speaking of, I don’t think I ever watched the 90’s cartoon. Does it still hold up at all?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
It has its moments. The modern show cribs a lot from it while doing its own thing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, I don’t think I ever watched the 90’s cartoon. Does it still hold up at all?

It's kind of interesting to hear a very young Jennifer Hale as Ivy. And it was also interesting (for the time, and kind of for now sometimes) for her to be the action one and her brother be the smart one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Junpei posted:

I'm reminded of an edit I saw of The Dark Knight quote, in reference to Amphibia, where it summed up the current state of animated shows as "You either die an episodic sitcom, or you live long enough to see yourself become a shonen anime."

My fond memories of Dragon Ball Z bring to mind how much of that show was basically a sitcom anyway. It's if Superman did martial arts and was also Homer Simpson.

The Kirby anime is also more or less The Simpsons if you squint, Dedede and Escargoon are basically Burns and Smithers, and the main two kids are basically Lisa and Bart. (Kirby is, obviously, Maggie)

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 25, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

My fond memories of Dragon Ball Z bring to mind how much of that show was basically a sitcom anyway. It's if Superman did martial arts and was also Homer Simpson.

The Kirby anime is also more or less The Simpsons if you squint, Dedede and Escargoon are basically Burns and Smithers, and the main two kids are basically Lisa and Bart. (Kirby is, obviously, Maggie)

Said relationship is even more blatant in the Japanese version where the latter is straight up in love with Dedede

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I'll say what I said in the other thread, I think this might ultimately be a good move... presuming they don't put it on at midnight after a Rick & Morty rerun.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, have there been any updates on that show lately?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
They're doing animation checks on S2 right now. We don't have a confirmed date, but production's drawing to a close!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it really does seem like Cartoon Network as a brand is being de-emphasized in favor of Adult Swim, if major shows like Superman and Unicorn are moving to it. maybe WBD is just going where the ratings are going

it's interesting to me because it's not like cable TV is gonna GROW in audience, it's gonna keep receding, but I guess the kid demographic has plummeted far further due to Youtube Kids, Netflix Originals and Twitch, while adults still own and watch cable TV or at least VOD.

e: I'm assuming Battu, Invincible Fight Girl, Gross Girls, and the PPG and Gumball revivals will still be Cartoon Network shows though. If any of those move to Adult Swim then it's probably a major red flag for the kids' side of the channel.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 29, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Superman show looks interesting at least (though Lois and Jimmy kind of remind me of an older Luz and Gus from The Owl House for some reason). Now if only they’d show us more than one screenshot from it (or better yet, a trailer)

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Yeah, it's funny how much Lois looks like twenty-something Luz Noceda.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Larryb posted:

The Superman show looks interesting at least (though Lois and Jimmy kind of remind me of an older Luz and Gus from The Owl House for some reason). Now if only they’d show us more than one screenshot from it (or better yet, a trailer)

People have been making jokes about that since the day that show got announced

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Based on that one screenshot alone this Lois looks like she could be a fun version of the character so hopefully she’s handled well

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

I'll say what I said in the other thread, I think this might ultimately be a good move... presuming they don't put it on at midnight after a Rick & Morty rerun.

It'll be on after Tartakovsky's new show which is slated for 7PM (as part of [as]'s encroachment on CN)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The first episode of season two of The Ghost And Molly McGee is up on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bszhXSqsqUw

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Heh, Luz Lane.

Honestly that's a way better interpretation of the character than nearly any media has done for decades at this point. Her whole deal always has been a woman that Superman has trouble keeping up with.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Larryb posted:

The Carmen Sandiego cartoon ranks up there with King Arthur and the Knights of Justice as kids shows with unreasonably hype OPs.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Heh, Luz Lane.

Honestly that's a way better interpretation of the character than nearly any media has done for decades at this point. Her whole deal always has been a woman that Superman has trouble keeping up with.

Yeah, I’m hoping for a more competent, proactive Lois like has been the case in a lot of the comics and such in recent days (she’ll probably still get in trouble from time to time but will also likely pull Clark out of nearly as many scrapes)

Come to think of it, will this be the first strictly Superman related cartoon we’ve had since TAS?

Yvonmukluk posted:

The first episode of season two of The Ghost And Molly McGee is up on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bszhXSqsqUw

Huh, I think this might be the first episode of the series that was aired as one continuous story rather than being broken up into shorts (though there were a few two parters late in the first season that probably should have just been handled that way)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 2, 2023

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Lois is the most lawfully dubious one out of the three. Kinda chaotic good.
And I guess Jimmy is neutral good and poor baby Clark does his best to be lawful good.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The only alignment worth a drat is chaotic bisexual

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think in the classic dynamic of Superman stories, Superman himself doesn't have a very strong personality (and all the stories wherein he is treated as some kind of pure avatar of all that is good end up making his personality seem even weaker), which allows for his friends and associates to really grow their personalities in order to guide stories themselves, and Lois has always been the strongest personality of his supporting cast.

Which incidentally the fact that Superman doesn't have a strong personality wraps back around into the idea of how Clark Kent being meek and shy is actually just what Superman is on the inside instead of being an elaborate act. He's just a big ol' well-meaning goober who has to put on a tough face when he's on the job, but is free to shrink away from attention when there's nothing to be done.

Anyhow, I've been hyped for the idea of a cartoon focused on Lois Lane ever since the DC Nation Tales of Metropolis shorts forever ago, but goddamn that Adventures with Superman cartoon has been in production forever as well, and there hasn't really been much more put out about it than that one picture and a couple character model sheets. And of course, with an anti-animation, anti-women CEO running the company with a habit of canning projects, I wouldn't hold your breath. Although I imagine both superheroes and Adult Swim are both the animation parts of the company with the strongest staying power.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

To be fair, the mere fact they recently announced the show was still in production and moving to Adult Swim gives me hope that this one will actually see the light of day.

That said, I really wish they’d give us a trailer or at least a few new images though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind, see below

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 3, 2023