Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

acumen posted:

I got matched against a diamond player with 2000 elo. My kd is like .4 lol

I matched against 2 dudes with Immortal (Adept) equipped.

We won the first match with a lucky Arc Melee and then they wiped the floor with us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

gotta pay the time toll if you want that gun’s hole

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

i'm thankful that my favorite weapons from years past were all random rolled and found in the wild. not trials related flavor of the month picks (glares at igneus hammer)

this one goes out to the guns i love

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

acumen posted:

I got matched against a diamond player with 2000 elo. My kd is like .4 lol

How'd it go?

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost
I really want that rank 10 smg but trials is such a gross slog. I popped around a few different streamers and did the twitch bounties to see what they were running with and it doesn't even look like they're playing the same game I am, it's loving insane

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Pirate Jet posted:

Trials is a complete haves-and-have-nots over The Immortal, what the gently caress was Bungie thinking with this gun?

"Let's take the Ikelos SMG, already arguably the best PVP weapon in the game, and add ten to every stat. Should be fine."

Bungie has never really acknowledged that the weapons in this game aren’t just stat sticks and flavor text but functional items that can be strictly better than anything else based on nothing more than the collection of numbers that determine how they function. This always seems to catch them by surprise when it happens. Even if SMGs have been dominate for a while, and they have discussed a couple of specific nerfs to range and zoom the past year, they can still ship something like Immortal somehow.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

That voodoo is what the game is based around. Immortal is just this month’s flavor.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I actually reset my trials rank today, which is something I've never got close to before. This is definitely the weekend to grind to rank 10.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

sunday at work posted:

Bungie has never really acknowledged that the weapons in this game aren’t just stat sticks and flavor text but functional items that can be strictly better than anything else based on nothing more than the collection of numbers that determine how they function. This always seems to catch them by surprise when it happens. Even if SMGs have been dominate for a while, and they have discussed a couple of specific nerfs to range and zoom the past year, they can still ship something like Immortal somehow.

It's not a mistake dude, they did this on purpose for engagement numbers and to keep people playing and the hype rolling.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

RBX posted:

It's not a mistake dude, they did this on purpose for engagement numbers and to keep people playing and the hype rolling.

If I can't grind up and snort a new SMG every season I get The Shakes, so it's working.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Banshee is selling the 5/5 falling guillotine as a daily deal, jagged/swordmaster/relentless/whirlwind

New players Iwould highly recommend picking it up if you don't have one

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Junkenstein posted:

I actually reset my trials rank today, which is something I've never got close to before. This is definitely the weekend to grind to rank 10.

I went 4-17 to get my Gun and this was still the best Trials experience I've had in the history of Destiny

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Trials was fun this weekend, yeah. though instead of focusing for a PvP roll of the Immortal I have to spend all my Trials engrams on outfits

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hackan Slash posted:

Banshee is selling the 5/5 falling guillotine as a daily deal, jagged/swordmaster/relentless/whirlwind

:hai: this has my go-to sword for a long time

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i hate trials so loving much

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Zokari posted:

i hate trials so loving much

have you considered avoiding the parts of the game that you do not like or enjoy?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
What are some good ways to use swords? I've never really tried them before, but I bought today's Good Drop of The Buster Sword and I'm wondering how they work.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Kith posted:

have you considered avoiding the parts of the game that you do not like or enjoy?

yeah lets see how well that mode works without a healthy supply of scrubs to stomp

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You are not obligated to be a stomped scrub

vvvvv Swords are also anti-overload this season, except Lament which has intrinsic anti-barrier

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Bleck posted:

What are some good ways to use swords? I've never really tried them before, but I bought today's Good Drop of The Buster Sword and I'm wondering how they work.
Swords are good for:
  • Add-clear
  • Major-killing
  • Champion-busting
  • Boss DPS (if you can reach the boss and have access to a defensive tool that will keep you alive, such as Ward of Dawn or Well of Radiance)
  • Gambit (due to being effective at all of the above and moderately effective at the part below)
  • PVP Surprise Instakills (wait around corners, do not charge straight at people like an idiot)

Swords are good at pretty much everything as long as you can reach your target and/or attack it safely. Unfortunately this makes them useless for high-difficulty content where "using cover" is an important gameplay mechanic, but they're extremely versatile and effective otherwise.

Kith fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 2, 2023

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i say this as someone who just ground out rank 10 of trials rep going 7-15 with a k/d of 0.53:

bungie has already loving told us that aggressive frame smgs are cruising for a nerf at the end of the season, and that other primaries will be brought up closer to smg performance, and for the rest of this season why would you ever use a non-void primary in pve. if you're grinding for a pve immortal at this point you have nobody but yourself to blame. i have not fired this thing at anything yet, and the strong balance of probability is that i never will.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

haveblue posted:

You are not obligated to be a stomped scrub

idk how long we're going to keep up "RIP Lance" but this is extremely good thread title material imo

Zokari posted:

yeah lets see how well that mode works without a healthy supply of scrubs to stomp

it is not your responsibility to maintain the viability of a game mode that you hate

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Reiterpallasch posted:

i say this as someone who just ground out rank 10 of trials rep going 7-15 with a k/d of 0.53:

bungie has already loving told us that aggressive frame smgs are cruising for a nerf at the end of the season, and that other primaries will be brought up closer to smg performance, and for the rest of this season why would you ever use a non-void primary in pve. if you're grinding for a pve immortal at this point you have nobody but yourself to blame. i have not fired this thing at anything yet, and the strong balance of probability is that i never will.

I think the notion that having a close range Strand primary with demo or Hatchling and very good stats will never be useful is a bit overstating it.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
To add to Kiths excellent points above, your new falling guillotine is a void vortex frame which means as long as there are easily killable packs of red bars around, volatile is gonna be blowing poo poo up everywhere (this season only for ez volatile, get it while it’s fun), and if you happen to have Nezarec’s sin on a devour warlock it will keep you in vortex grenades and rifts forever at the same time, also while healing you.

They can be useful for jumping crap as it puts you in third person, and a light swipe will stop your downward momentum (maybe within a limit, but I can’t remember if that was fixed and or applied to eager edge only) and lunge you forward. This helps not only with platforming but cases where bosses stomp you off or the taken centurion shield guys blast you off. No matter what, the lunge back still works, it’s just the “stop falling momentum” part I can’t remember if it got changed. Just keep your cool, and swap to sword and swing once to get back to platform. They sometimes have janky auto-tracking mechanics that change the direction of lunge but you will learn to cope.

You will get used to this and then swap to rocket launchers and LMGs to try to save yourself which is funny in its own right. The rare self-own.

Highly recommend seeing if you can grab an eager edge sword (blue and purple flavor from dares can roll it) for mobility screwing around, especially on hunter and titan where you can very easily retain the momentum from the eager edge lunge. Still useful on lock but activating your glide kills the momentum. It’s not like game defining but for easy content it’s nice to have a turbo switch option.

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 2, 2023

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'll just add that void swords are great when volatile rounds is active and you need to quickly clear some close range adds

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I socked my way to rank 10 and got a rangefinder target lock roll and I still suck in pvp lol :negative: :corsair:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

MJeff posted:

I think the notion that having a close range Strand primary with demo or Hatchling and very good stats will never be useful is a bit overstating it.

not useless, exactly, but post-primary buff rufus' fury is going to have basically the same sustained dps as the immortal even within the latter's range envelope, plus the ability to get demo and hatchling. obviously the immortal will do more cyclic dps, but strand builds will ten million percent be fine with rufus' fury.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Have they said anything about making Statis less of a grind to fully unlock?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Reiterpallasch posted:

They're getting a nerf mainly aimed at pvp and any pve falloff won't really change much. It's still an smg

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Kith posted:

Swords are good for:
  • Add-clear
  • Major-killing
  • Champion-busting
  • Boss DPS (if you can reach the boss and have access to a defensive tool that will keep you alive, such as Ward of Dawn or Well of Radiance)
  • Gambit (due to being effective at all of the above and moderately effective at the part below)
  • PVP Surprise Instakills (wait around corners, do not charge straight at people like an idiot)

Swords are good at pretty much everything as long as you can reach your target and/or attack it safely. Unfortunately this makes them useless for high-difficulty content where "using cover" is an important gameplay mechanic, but they're extremely versatile and effective otherwise.

You forgot about filing ahamkara claws.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

You forgot about filing ahamkara claws.

That falls under Boss DPS.

Although SOME PEOPLE would claim that there are better tools for fighting Riven. Feh. FEH, I say!

kinda tempted to write a "best swords to use on Riven" post

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Doing Riven legit with a sword.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

All Riven kills are legit. Fred Bungie himself said so.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

lmao there is already another SMG in the pipe for next season and it will be just as juiced

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Doing Riven legit with a sword.

you wouldn't actually want swords for doing Riven legit, at least not your whole team. You need someone in position to shoot eyes.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Lament or Falling Guillotine

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hackan Slash posted:

Am I missing something or did they refresh/changed what Banshee is selling because it's no longer this

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
His "Featured" set re-rolls the weapons, within the weapon type, daily, but the specific roll gets rolls again at 4.00 PM or something.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

KITH'S VERY EXCELLENT LIST OF SWORDS TO USE FOR LEGITIMATE RIVEN KILLS
the sword explainer has logged on

Once Riven activates her wipe mechanic, your team has ten seconds to hack away at one of her feet before she kills you in Spanish. Blow your Supers, drop a Well of Radiance or Ward of Dawn so you don't die to the floor, and go to town using your sharpclub of choice. The typical strategy is to open with a Heavy Attack and then do Light Attack Combos until your Heavy Attack is charged again. If you happen to be using Whirlwind Blade, keep in mind that it stacks per attack, not per hit, so Heavy Attacks that hit multiple times will only produce one stack.

CROWN-SPLITTER - Aggressive Frame
[Previous Season] [Titan Exclusive]
Best Perks: Jagged Edge | Heavy Guard | Relentless Strikes | Vorpal Weapon

- Ranks above Lament because it has better DPS. Yes, really.
- Aggressive Frames swing slow, so Vorpal Weapon is the superior choice for DPS since picking up Whirlwind Stacks takes loving forever.
- Titan Supremacy :hehe:

THRONE-CLEAVER - Aggressive Frame
[Craftable - Season of Defiance] [Titan Exclusive]
Best Perks: Jagged Edge | Heavy Guard | Duelist's Trance | Vorpal Weapon

- Use in the exact same way you would Crown-Splitter, except you can kill a redbar before DPS to activate Duelist's Trance, allowing you to get in an extra Heavy Attack during DPS.
- Ranked lower than Crown-Splitter because it's pathetically Solar and therefore can't get Volatile Rounds.

THE LAMENT - Exotic Frame
[Exotic - Beyond Light]
- 4x Rev, Light Combo, Heavy before energy runs out, then do the standard Light Combo > Heavy routine when you've got energy back. You won't have time for extra revs after the initial combo, so don't worry about those.
- Not like it needs it, but notably the only sword on the list that can't slap on Boss Spec for +7% Damage.
- Heals you on hit, which is useful if your Well or Ward break for some reason. Though if that happens, something has gone horribly wrong and you're probably all dead anyway.

BEQUEST - Adaptive Frame
[Craftable - Deep Stone Crypt]
Best Perks: Jagged Edge | Swordmaster's Guard | Relentless Strikes | Vorpal Weapon

- Has 10 more Impact than other Adaptive Frames, causing it to deal +10% more damage.
- The original version didn't have a Damage Perk worth using, but the re-release has Vorpal, so now it's the best Adaptive Frame for DPS and it's craftable! Get your Bequest pattern today!

GOLDTUSK - Lightweight Frame
[Craftable - Season of Defiance] [Hunter Exclusive]
Best Perks: Jagged Edge | Swordmaster's Guard | Relentless Strikes | Whirlwind Blade

- Extra good at Whirlwind Blade because it attacks ridiculously fast.
- Oddly, has VEIST Stinger available as an alternative Origin Trait. Switch to that for extra Charge Rate and therefore more Heavy Attacks.

GENERIC ADAPTIVE FRAME SWORD
[Craftable - Season of Defiance, Dares of Eternity] [Targeted Drop - Shadowkeep] [Random Drop - World, Vendor, Dawning] [Previous Season]
Best Perks: Jagged Edge | Swordmaster's Guard | Relentless Strikes/Duelist's Trance | Whirlwind Blade/Vorpal Weapon

- Actually better at Boss DPS than Vortex Frames, but not by a huge amount. A well-rolled Vortex will outperform a badly-rolled Adaptive any day.
- Also much more common than Vortex Frames.
- Reminder that Bequest gets +10% damage innately, so if you're married to the idea of using an Adaptive Frame for DPS, craft a Bequest and use that.

DEATH'S RAZOR - Vortex Frame
[Craftable - Season of Defiance] [Warlock Exclusive]
Best Perks: Jagged Edge | Infinite Guard | Relentless Strikes | Whirlwind Blade

- Functionally identical to Falling Guillotine, but more easily obtainable due to its modern drop-source and easy to get a perfect roll for due to being craftable.
- Also has some pretty fun and spicy perks available, but that's outside the scope of this guide!

GENERIC VORTEX FRAME SWORD
[Targeted Drop - Iron Banner] [Random Drop - Grasp of Avarice, Vendor] [Previous Season]
Best Perks: Jagged Edge | Swordmaster's Guard | Relentless Strikes/Duelist's Trance | Whirlwind Blade/Vorpal Weapon

- Vortex Frames tend to have perks that are more oriented towards Add Clear, but are still competitive with Adaptive Frames at Boss DPS with the correct perks.
- Our Lady Falling Guillotine is one of these, but only shows up at Xur or Banshee when she feels like it. Hope for a good roll!
- Eternity's Edge also lives here, though that's less exciting because nobody cares about Eternity's Edge (and if you do for some reason, it's Warlock Exclusive).

QUICKFANG - Lightweight Frame
[Previous Season] [Hunter Exclusive]
Best Perks: Jagged Edge | Swordmaster's Guard | Relentless Strikes | One For All

- Can outperform other swords and even Goldtusk if you're good at timing the activation of One For All, but is much harder to use and therefore much lower on the list for that reason.

ANY CASTER FRAME SWORD
bad
don't

- this isn't pvp

Kith fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ex post facho posted:

Lament or Falling Guillotine

lament has significantly better dps. a 4x rev combo for lament deals ~140k, a heavy-light combo on a vortex deals 101k. if you want a good legendary sword for boss dps, bequest is adaptive (which have better boss dps than vortexes), craftable, and gets +10% damage for free due to having 10 more impact than other leading brands.

unfortunately falling guillotine has kinda fallen behind the gold standard that it used to be. it's still a very versatile weapon, but there are better options available in every situation