Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

that's it? well, I hope they're doing better mentally, if they were in a bad enough place that some light criticism got to them that much.

That happened years ago. He got perma'd for saying chatbots were more sentient than disabled people and refused to back down from that stance

So doing better mentally was never really gonna be in the cards for turdiak, in all honesty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Gulping Again posted:

That happened years ago. He got perma'd for saying chatbots were more sentient than disabled people and refused to back down from that stance

So doing better mentally was never really gonna be in the cards for turdiak, in all honesty

Huh, is he Rutibex or did it happen twice??

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Kild posted:

Huh, is he Rutibex or did it happen twice??

oh i got them mixed up.

i can only remember so many different really dumb guys

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gulping Again posted:

Thread title?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I mostly remember rutibex because he got super mad about getting purged from goonfleet a few years ago and tried to strongarm goonswarm directors in a thread in which he had openly discussed doing market botting etc and the economic disparity of minimum wage vs. botting in EVE 8 hours a day

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Gulping Again posted:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Don’t think we should be trying to take the heat off of Sleepy Jeff until he faces justice

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Something something goons

also it seems like literally anyone who uses 'cultural appropriation' in any context is usually just a tedious, useless scold at best, I have literally never seen it used for any actual valid case of such

iirc the actual originating terminology was re: native american headdresses and other stuff where it was like “if you could not put replicas of our ritual outfits for sale as halloween costumes after genociding our people a handful of generations ago that’d be pretty swell”

but of course it’s the internet so it turned into a thing where people yell at half-japanese people who look too white for wearing a kimono or whatever

still going to root for anyone going after us sports teams for their lovely rear end names

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

iirc the actual originating terminology was re: native american headdresses and other stuff where it was like “if you could not put replicas of our ritual outfits for sale as halloween costumes after genociding our people a handful of generations ago that’d be pretty swell”

but of course it’s the internet so it turned into a thing where people yell at half-japanese people who look too white for wearing a kimono or whatever

still going to root for anyone going after us sports teams for their lovely rear end names

cos I was in China at the time, I recall an incident where a Chinese-American influencer put some white high school girl on blast because she wore a traditional Chinese qipao to prom, but then the mainland Chinese internet picked up on it and there were a lot of people in favor of it and wanted more people to do it

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That's really more of an issue of internet discourse generally being hot garbage. Cultural appropriation is specifically when you poo poo on items of actual cultural significance, like the headdress. A qipao is just a piece of formalwear, wearing one is categorically not appropriation.

These two extremes are pretty easy to break down if you compare them to western concepts with actual institutional backing. The items on a war bonnet mark various achievements and honors bestowed by the tribe; wearing one is comparable to wearing military regalia and medals, and the latter is a crime if you are not the person who has earned those. A qipao is a status symbol indicating nothing more than that you are a person who can afford to wear and maintain a qipao. If you wear a three-piece suit you at worst out yourself as a dork rear end loser, it's never a crime to do so.

There's a whole thornier middle ground of cultural commodification versus meaningful exchange to which I would never trust twitter discourse to meaningfully contribute, but whether something is specifically appropriation or not is usually pretty clear cut.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
you will be able to find a lot of anecdotal evidence either way about a subjective cultural concept lol, why do goons act like everything is this 1 or the other with no context

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Edited the thread OP to remove the SAD references. Let me know if you think some stuff should be put in the OP and I can revise

E: Anime destroys the mind

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 2, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That's really more of an issue of internet discourse generally being hot garbage. Cultural appropriation is specifically when you poo poo on items of actual cultural significance, like the headdress. A qipao is just a piece of formalwear, wearing one is categorically not appropriation.

These two extremes are pretty easy to break down if you compare them to western concepts with actual institutional backing. The items on a war bonnet mark various achievements and honors bestowed by the tribe; wearing one is comparable to wearing military regalia and medals, and the latter is a crime if you are not the person who has earned those. A qipao is a status symbol indicating nothing more than that you are a person who can afford to wear and maintain a qipao. If you wear a three-piece suit you at worst out yourself as a dork rear end loser, it's never a crime to do so.

There's a whole thornier middle ground of cultural commodification versus meaningful exchange to which I would never trust twitter discourse to meaningfully contribute, but whether something is specifically appropriation or not is usually pretty clear cut.

You arbitrarily decided this, there is no consensus on this term to that level but your specific examples suck because OED’s etymology for this term specifically refers to Orientalism (this is a pre-Said use of the term Orientalism, to properly conextualize)

"Arthur C Christy in 1945 posted:

Metaphysicians and mystics meanwhile created a new mythology of the "supernatural" and sought anew to understand physical phenomena or to secure kinship with the life in living things. During the Renaissance and the Enlightenment, the intellectual horizons of Europeans had been broadened. With the progress of the nineteenth century the natural order of human experience followed: after the discovery of new facts, new peo-ples, and new realms of thought and human experience, came the inevitable deepening of insights and understanding. The processes of discovery continued geographically and outwardly with the exploration of the hearts of continents; but they also became increasingly inward, as each new translation of great Oriental works revealed the dimensions of the mystical and intellectual worlds in which other peoples lived. The guiding principle of European cultural appropriation from the Orient continued to be laissez faire. Like the winds that blow as they list, often unpredictable in origin and indeterminate in direction, the drift of "oriental-ism" continued in startling ways in a different and newer age.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Huh. Okay maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Gulping Again posted:

Honestly, this one is pretty good too:

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Okay maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
it's alive

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
the Legend of the Insufferable Discussion Regarding What Cultural Appropriation is

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lol epic CSPAM guy already showing up to call everyone pedos. Thread off to a good start

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

the Legend of the Insufferable Discussion Regarding What Cultural Appropriation is

I agree this isn’t the place for such a discussion but dont like to let authoritative-sounding posts that are incorrect stand before some White idiot wears a yukata barefoot into my office during an AAPI history month campaign and claims an internet forum told him its ok. Because that’s already happened in my life and it was exceedingly stupid.

(No, it wasn’t these forums.)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
He's a turdiak, turdiak on the floor
And he's turdin like he's never turd before

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Edited the thread OP to remove the SAD references. Let me know if you think some stuff should be put in the OP and I can revise

E: Anime destroys the mind

anime is good
it can also be very, very bad.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Turdiak

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

ulvir posted:

wtf is touhou

I was reading it as Toho, the Japanese studio that made a bunch of Godzilla films. I'm just as confused as you.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

DaysBefore posted:

Lol epic CSPAM guy already showing up to call everyone pedos. Thread off to a good start

He's so aggro lol

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Epic Cspam Guy: I called something pedophilic for no reason, and people got mad at me. This is imp zone's fault somehow.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Epic Cspam Guy: I called something pedophilic for no reason, and people got mad at me. This is imp zone's fault somehow.

he did also say turdiak would be posting here under an alt ... hmm.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Alaois posted:

jonah is a gbs agent

I was wrong, jonah was a cspam agent but they had to disavow him

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Gulping Again posted:

oh i got them mixed up.

Rutibex was that vein of soft bigot who occasionally let some racism about Muslims, homophobia, transphobia, or vile misogyny leak out over the years across a lot of different thread, and he should've been hit with a permaban a long while ago. But they were little nuggets buried in his rap sheet between big segments of more pedestrian stupid video game arguments.

Still, it was very funny how he'd brag about making pirated board games by printing out scans of boards and card pieces and taping them to cereal boxes. And after he was threadbanned from the Path of Exile thread he made an alt to keep posting bad build advice there, and got upset when people knew it was him and his alt got banned.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Alaois posted:

I was wrong, jonah was a cspam agent but they had to disavow him

Jonah and the Fail

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Nuns with Guns posted:

Rutibex was that vein of soft bigot who occasionally let some racism about Muslims, homophobia, transphobia, or vile misogyny leak out over the years across a lot of different thread, and he should've been hit with a permaban a long while ago. But they were little nuggets buried in his rap sheet between big segments of more pedestrian stupid video game arguments.

Still, it was very funny how he'd brag about making pirated board games by printing out scans of boards and card pieces and taping them to cereal boxes. And after he was threadbanned from the Path of Exile thread he made an alt to keep posting bad build advice there, and got upset when people knew it was him and his alt got banned.

I remember him getting very serious about how witchcraft and magic were real, in CSPAM, which is quite the contrast to his later ban request because of thinking AI is sentient

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Nuns with Guns posted:

This is something that an eight-year-old child would be proud of figuring out, oh my God.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't think there's any harm in wanting both witches and computers to be real, so long as you don't also dehumanize a bunch of marginalized groups for some reason in the process.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Thinking magic is literally real and AIs are literally sapient feels like different cheeks of the same arse

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You have to be a special kind of [redacted] to think either things are real quite frankly.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Thinking magic is literally real and AIs are literally sapient feels like different cheeks of the same arse

in a way, but I tend to think they're viewpoints belonging to different varieties of idiot. rutibex synthesising them into one worldview struck me as special

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I have to assume anyone posting about how AI text generators represent human levels of sentience probably just had a really transformative sexual experience with a femdom chatbot, in which case more power to them.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Mad Hamish posted:

This is something that an eight-year-old child would be proud of figuring out, oh my God.

lmao when i was about that age my grandma worked for the elementary school i went to and she would come home all the time with custom drawn and laminated versions of board games she knew so we could save money

it owned and i wish i still had them

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

exquisite tea posted:

I have to assume anyone posting about how AI text generators represent human levels of sentience probably just had a really transformative sexual experience with a femdom chatbot, in which case more power to them.

https://twitter.com/transitracer/status/1618164441941700608?lang=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mad Hamish posted:

I had to dig out a picture he posted:

Rutibex posted:

Talisman unfun? No I don't think so! Nothing quite captures the nail biting edge of your seat dice rolling of Talisman. I would never besmirch the good name of Talisman. Just look at this custom set I made, pulling content from every beautiful edition of Talisman as well as dozens of great homebrew internet expansions. Over 1,000 adventure cards split into 5 decks (outer, inner, timescape, dungeon, city), 250 spells, and 80 classes. I initially mixed in Pathfinder Adventure cards but have since made the set 100% Talisman.

I wasn't going to sit by and have it's good name sullied, Talisman has just as much strategic depth as Arkham Horror :colbert:

Keep in mind that Talisman has a board that looks something like this when you add on all the expansions:

He was constantly recommending this game to new people.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don't think there's any harm in wanting both witches and computers to be real, so long as you don't also dehumanize a bunch of marginalized groups for some reason in the process.

There might be someone out there harmlessly wishing for that stuff, but thankfully we don't have to contemplate that with Rutibex.