Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

KittyEmpress posted:

Okay I caught up with the unofficial Eleceed stuff and I guess I'll admit I was wrong. One singular bad guy was not solved by Kayden releasing his power limits and slowing his recovery. Instead someone else showed up to solve the problem for the MC.

It's getting a little annoying. Every arc has the exact same layout just with escalation. MC shows off they are so cool -> woah everyone is amazed -> worse guy shows up, nearly kills MC -> mentor shows up and saves him -> MC promises to get stronger and train harder -> repeat.

Luckily the actual characters (besides the MC who is just Generically Nice Guy mixed with Fight Addict) are really good and the cats are adorable.

The author has pretty much been following that formula since Noblesse, although I like Eleceed more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the premise of hanging out with horrible teenagers being the best thing in the world works better for eleceed. this is because the mc is also a teenager, as opposed to an ancient demigod with no social skills.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

KittyEmpress posted:

Okay I caught up with the unofficial Eleceed stuff and I guess I'll admit I was wrong. One singular bad guy was not solved by Kayden releasing his power limits and slowing his recovery. Instead someone else showed up to solve the problem for the MC.

It's getting a little annoying. Every arc has the exact same layout just with escalation. MC shows off they are so cool -> woah everyone is amazed -> worse guy shows up, nearly kills MC -> mentor shows up and saves him -> MC promises to get stronger and train harder -> repeat.

Luckily the actual characters (besides the MC who is just Generically Nice Guy mixed with Fight Addict) are really good and the cats are adorable.

yeah it honestly reads like what they'd kind of intended with noblesse when it seemed like the teenagers were going to turn out to be cool and strong before that got benched

i like that there's always the intermission where the kids are being teenagers hanging out and hollering at each other while the cats are smug. its good imo

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 22 days!)

caught up to Tale of a Scribe Who Retires
the cast still entertaining, and it getting a bit more into group politics, but its still interesting because it directly involves the main cast

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

My favorite part of Eleceed are when Jisuk and Subin team up to bully someone. They're hilarious.

The cats are a good second though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

KittyEmpress posted:

My favorite part of Eleceed are when Jisuk and Subin team up to bully someone. They're hilarious.

Yeah their interaction is great, they are ruthless to each other and when one of them isn't in the spotlight they just team up on whoever that is like little bastards. Jisuk also being completely scared shitless and completely deferential to the cat always gets me

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

started reading a new title that's been pretty interesting.
'How to Live As a Writer in a Fantasy World'

Didn't even know it was korean at first because it uses western names, but then noonas and oppos started popping up later.
Different from the over saturated marital arts and dungeon action titles.

MC is reincarnated into a fantasy world with magic, elves, dwarfs, demonfolk. No cheats, other than important characters just gravitas to him cause of plot. Other than he seems like a good writer? (but seems to be thru hardwork since his hands are full of signs of heavy pen holding. Seems most of the books in the world are very basic. Mostly non-fiction works in a diary fashion ("Today I killed a goblin. I ate stuff ect)

He writes a fiction work based on his memory of old standard fantasy tropes (that turn out to match the circumstances of the world's races) and it proves very popular and has cultural effect like bridging the relationships between races and introducing a concept of steam engines.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Big Life is kind of interesting, not isekai, not regressor etc. A middling to struggling author finds an old laptop and bag and notices that when he uses it he can all of a sudden focus and write much better than he had before. From there its a mostly upbeat story about someone turning their life around and becoming a huge, yet humble success along with some mystery about who was the original owner of the bag etc but won't spoil that any further.

It's mostly a cheerful / pleasant read mostly talking about the writing industry with the author doing everything from writing for webtoons to MMOs to high culture literary novels to screenplays etc.

It's either finished or close to done at this point. Nice read, very chill for the most part. Also has a cute cat as a non-speaking side character.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Everyone, thank you for recommending Hero Killer, it's very good and I'm pacing myself after reading like 12 chapters because I don't want it to burn through it and run out of chapters. Inverted set up of the protagonist teaming up with villains aside, I appreciate that it's a team story instead of just being the one lone protagonist against all enemies. Don't get me wrong, I liked Solo Leveling too, but A Returner's Magic Should be Special is more my speed since they're actually trying to help other people and have no issues relying on their friends and all that good stuff.

So, on a different genre, got any good Villlainess, yuri or female protagonist stuff? Mage & Demon Queen is basically all of those at once but I'm not sure of what else I should look for.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

Everyone, thank you for recommending Hero Killer, it's very good and I'm pacing myself after reading like 12 chapters because I don't want it to burn through it and run out of chapters. Inverted set up of the protagonist teaming up with villains aside, I appreciate that it's a team story instead of just being the one lone protagonist against all enemies. Don't get me wrong, I liked Solo Leveling too, but A Returner's Magic Should be Special is more my speed since they're actually trying to help other people and have no issues relying on their friends and all that good stuff.

So, on a different genre, got any good Villlainess, yuri or female protagonist stuff? Mage & Demon Queen is basically all of those at once but I'm not sure of what else I should look for.

Terror Man has a strong female supporting character in S1 who is heavily featured who becomes the main character of S2 and shows up in other YLab superstring universe comics

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Exit's That Way - lesbian drama about an actor and an assistant director. cw for some past abusive relationships.
Your Throne - villainess, non-transmigration. a villainess gets bodyswapped with the female lead saint.
The Exhausting Reality of Novel Transmigration - serial transmigrator ends up in the body of a villainess, and refuses to let her new younger sister be abused
Master Villainess the Invincible - transmigrates into the body of a murim story villainess, winds up being more of an action comic.
Cassmire: The Loyal Sword - villainess transmigration, decides to protect her sister at all costs. Becomes a master swordswoman, accidentally seduces all the male leads.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I like that instead of just being a homicidal rear end in a top hat Kangwoo from Player who Returned After 10000 Years is just unapologetically gleefully evil.

Just having so much fun being Korean Satan.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i've been reading leveling up alone despite it not being particularly good in any way. eventually i realized that i had also read some of the webtoon version at some point. so i went back out of vague curiosity to compare the two versions. and dang, the person who adapted it really worked hard. see, in the wn things just sort of happen for no reason and the mc gets stronger. that's it, really. that's what passes for a plot. there's no narrative, character development, or relationships. number goes up.

the wt links and expands those isolated, often vague events into a narrative. the mc doesn't have a couple random, inconsequential brushes with the authorities. instead, his uniqueness stands out a bit and a sort-of cop starts gunning for him in increasingly risky ways for the sake of her career. the mc doesn't randomly decide to start summoning demons out of literally nowhere, with no foreshadowing or buildup. instead, his system is secretly linked to higher powers and he is manipulated into getting involved with demons to serve a specific goal. also his system is a person instead of a disembodied voice that gets forgotten for long stretches and she is not happy about the demon stuff.

what's really a shame is that despite this heroic effort to transform a spreadsheet into a story, it's still not particularly good. it's okay, at best.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

At least Eleceed shows the MC advancing and getting stronger. Yes, most of the big bad fights with world rankers and the like are handled by the stronger awakened but the kids still get their licks in. Usually against one another, but occasionally they get to show off their improvement.

The first time they meet the flame guys, the kids get their asses kicked and the adults show up. Second time, the kids fight like hell and work together and actually do pull off a win against one of them.

Also in the latest episodes that aren't on webtoons just jet, Jiwoo goes infiltrating an underground lab and just absolutely clowns all the adults inside because none of them are on the level of the world rankers he's been pitted up against in the past.
It was genuinely nice to see him just go all out and wreck everyone as evidence that he is, in fact, a very gifted kid and the biggest reason he's had to have Kayden bail him out is because too many of his opponents have been crazy powerhouses on their own.

Mostly though what I love about Eleceed are the character interactions. The fights are good but each of the characters are enjoyable and it's fun to see some of their arcs - like Jisuk and Subin going from pretentious assholes to lovable assholes. Also nice seeing Kayden being a bad influence on Jiwoo by turning him into a crazy fighting maniac, and how all the other kids get influenced by Jiwoo in turn. Everyone gets caught off guard by the fact that he's just genuinely a nice guy who wants to test himself out and isn't playing politics with his fighting like everyone else, and that amuses me.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just started reading Eleceed. I like the dynamic between the main character and Kayden, even if this story inevitable just repeats the same stuff over and over like Noblesse. Noblesse was always at its strongest with the comedy anyways.

edit: I'm at chapter 46 now, and I like how Eleceed is basically a study in all the possible male tsundere sub-types. This also has a much better balance of comedy to combat than Noblesse did, at least for now. The combat isn't that great in this - it kinda feels like it has a lot of the weaknesses of later Tower of God combat, where there's just a lot of fancy effects and the text tells you how strong it is.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 11, 2023

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I just started reading Eleceed. I like the dynamic between the main character and Kayden, even if this story inevitable just repeats the same stuff over and over like Noblesse. Noblesse was always at its strongest with the comedy anyways.

edit: I'm at chapter 46 now, and I like how Eleceed is basically a study in all the possible male tsundere sub-types. This also has a much better balance of comedy to combat than Noblesse did, at least for now. The combat isn't that great in this - it kinda feels like it has a lot of the weaknesses of later Tower of God combat, where there's just a lot of fancy effects and the text tells you how strong it is.

When talking about male tsundere I can't help but think you're talking about Jisuk explicitly, and let me tell you : He never stops being one of the absolute best characters in the series.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

edit: This gag of Jisuk thinking that no one else is aware of the powerful cat living with Jiwoo is very funny.

khy posted:

When talking about male tsundere I can't help but think you're talking about Jisuk explicitly, and let me tell you : He never stops being one of the absolute best characters in the series.

He's the main one yeah, but there's also Kayden himself.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 12, 2023

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Jisuk is everyone's best friend.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I really think the low detail versions of all the cats are great

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm a big fan of how after all the trauma and drama the grey cat just lives a normal cat life now.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm a big fan of how after all the trauma and drama the grey cat just lives a normal cat life now.

Yeah that was kind of cool. It pops up now and then and just chills out after getting kinda worked up.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Shugojin posted:

I really think the low detail versions of all the cats are great

All the cats are great. Low AND high detail.

Also Mr Goo's love affair with cats never gets old.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Aww, Jisuk complimenting Jiwoo on his progress after owning this other rude guy and then taking a selfie with the guy in the background. Also good on Jiwoo for rejecting the guy's attempt to prolong the match.

And then Kayden having a nightmare where his bottom half is the fat cat. I'm pretty sure this comic has been getting at least one outloud laugh from me every chapter.

edit: lmao Jisuk suddenly kicking Subin because she's sitting on Kayden's tail

edit2: I didn't have very high expectations due to it being by the Noblesse author, but this is great. The fights aren't that interesting (they're not bad, but Jiwoo's fights are probably the least interesting just because they seem to usually follow the pattern of "Jiwoo dodges a bunch of stuff (and is maybe cornered) and then uses his Super Attack," but the characters are all extremely likable and funny.

edit3: It's kind of a shame that Jiyoung is the obvious "main love interest," because Iseul is Jiwoo's age and shares his main hobby of liking animals.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 13, 2023

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2023-04-16/gosu-webtoon-gets-japanese-s-korean-animated-adaptation/.197132

Gosu seems like it's gonna get an anime adaptation.

That's cool. They could do a lot with that one to make it fun / funny alongside just being a martial arts story. Here's to hoping it does good enough that they do a Yongbi prequel series for it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Hell yeah Gosu adaptation, I can't wait to see all our favorite landscapers get jobs again

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Started rereadin' Father, Peerless from the beginnin' to catch up and I'm noticing stuff/characters that were mentioned in advance but I never really gave much thought to back when I first read them.

Like knowing the whole political stuff in advance helps me appreciate the stuff being set up in the earlier chapters.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's so weird that the isekai'd mentor from red storm briefly appeared in peerless dad.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i lost interest in Peerless Father after it got deep into politics stuff.
wish it focused more on his kids too instead of sprinkling little teases about them over 200+ chapters, I want them to start kicking rear end

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the kids kinda confuse me because I feel like a decent amount of time has passed where they look the same but other people noticeably aged

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man I love the political stuff in Father Peerless. It's fascinating.

The factions, the petty infighting, the choosing sides, etc. etc.

It makes it worth it when Noh decides he's had enough of that poo poo and just makes his own faction and stops trying to zigzag between the two useless Tang sons and decides to ally with the capable Tang cousin instead.

And then you have Noh talking to the comatose Wise Dragon and telling him that he realizes how much the Wise Dragon let him get away with insubordination back in the early days, and how understanding the perils and difficulties of leading and running a faction yourself gives him an appreciation for the old man.

I love the Administrator and his machinations to exterminate the entirety of the Murim, and how he grew into the person he is today (granted that's not in this webtoon but in a prequel webtoon).

I love the whole dealio with the 5 Elements and the Demon Gods.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Manatee Cannon posted:

the kids kinda confuse me because I feel like a decent amount of time has passed where they look the same but other people noticeably aged

It's especially hosed up cause that girl that Noh saves early on ends up being his wife and she ages up very noticeably in between the time she's saved and the first time he meets her up (in her disguise) again.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yeah that stuff is not great

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Apparently in the original novel he actually had a second wife who was written out (she apparently gets killed) and the second wife is actually the third wife there.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

I liked the one woman in Peerless Father
the granddaughter(?) of the old guy that transcended earlier in the story that’s the head of some organization
I really liked him from the small bit we saw of him, wish he struck around longer. Found him and the lady so reasonable even though they’re suppose to be from the “evil” clan

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Edit: Wrong thread

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

GateOfD posted:

the granddaughter(?) of the old guy that transcended earlier in the story that’s the head of some organization
I really liked him from the small bit we saw of him, wish he struck around longer. Found him and the lady so reasonable even though they’re suppose to be from the “evil” clan

that was the guy from red storm.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

GateOfD posted:

My favorite thing about the Cult Leader is that she seems to be around Noh's age, but you later find out that she's even older than the Heavenly Dragon, who himself is older than at least 2 of the other 5 Guys (the Administrator and the one from Wudang). So she's either the oldest among the 5 Guys, or the second oldest (depends on how old the Shaolin Guy is).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm still keeping up with Hero Killer and I don't know how to put into words their exact personalities but I absolutely love Chaos and HighNoon. Are they putting up a disturbed facade, are they actually twisted like the Joker, is that just how they smile and it's naturally offputting to normal people? I don't know what to believe but I love those two whenever they show up.

I'm on episode 91 right now.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
neither of them is really all that complicated. chaos is an old, broken down vet who still has some ideals about heroism left despite not really being able to put them into action any more. also that's never what the hero clan was to begin with, so he's nostalgic for something that never existed. chaos is a dreamer. highnoon is fiercely loyal to her found family to the exclusion of all else, and all of her actions are in service of keeping them safe. she has no particular loyalty to the hero clan, but prosecutor does so she sticks around. highnoon is a pragmatist. but they both pose and vamp around and have great big smiles with heterochromia, so they look deranged.

and also highnoon is one of ihwa's many girlfriends. she's less scary than most, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I love that Baek was told not get into a fight, and for like a year and a half he did just that. Only to throw his first serious punch and turn someone's head into gore and then pauses because :dafuq:

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Man I love the political stuff in Father Peerless. It's fascinating.

The factions, the petty infighting, the choosing sides, etc. etc.

It makes it worth it when Noh decides he's had enough of that poo poo and just makes his own faction and stops trying to zigzag between the two useless Tang sons and decides to ally with the capable Tang cousin instead.

Re-reading Peerless dad with the Tapas translations instead of having a different group every 30ish chapters really cleared things up for me. This is also the first manhwa that I've followed that really gets into the politics of these Murim stories. The few other's I've read have only really been one sect versus another or just a lone warrior that kind of does his own thing with light politics. Noh's philosophy of "seeing things through" is what really endears me to him as a character. And the brilliant Dragon Pavillion is a good capstone for how Noh

And I'm eternally annoyed that neither of Tang's lovely sons bit the dust. They got my boy Ilcho killed and he deserves justice. :argh: If Noh doesn't get to them I hope the Administrator decides to take action.