Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, see, you're laughing... And I don't know why.

Have you actually seen his act? Because out of context it makes no sense. I'm not saying it's good in context, but I understand where the humor is supposed to be coming from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dale's parenting skills seem to vary wildly between episodes. Sometimes he's a good dad, others he drives Joseph away by convincing him he's an alien or makes up a "smoking bandit" character to win Joseph's respect.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

sweet geek swag posted:

Have you actually seen his act? Because out of context it makes no sense. I'm not saying it's good in context, but I understand where the humor is supposed to be coming from

I was mostly quoting Bobby.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jay Arr Jay Arrr, he’s a really bad guy who lives on a ranch with his mom.

I just started watching Dallas.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
You call this a Mint Julip? Where's the vodka? Where's the tomato juice?!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

He really wanted a bloody mary and how the hell do you confuse these two drinks?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

sweet geek swag posted:

I have been told literally the point of RJJ is that he's the bore who won't shut up and delays the actual punchline. But boomers don't actually know what jokes are and so just assume he's meant to be funny by association.

The Moon Monster posted:

Dale's parenting skills seem to vary wildly between episodes. Sometimes he's a good dad, others he drives Joseph away by convincing him he's an alien or makes up a "smoking bandit" character to win Joseph's respect.

Even while inconsistent characterisation is a regular theme with KotH, I'd say that fits. Dale is, as mentioned, incredibly passionate and driven when he's actually paying attention, but that energy doesn't necessarily go in a positive direction.

Apparently the episode where he ends up in an asylum has the doctor suggest he keeps taking his medication, and I get the feeling Dale understands on some level he's genuinely got mental issues.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I have been told literally the point of RJJ is that he's the bore who won't shut up and delays the actual punchline. But boomers don't actually know what jokes are and so just assume he's meant to be funny by association.

Even while inconsistent characterisation is a regular theme with KotH, I'd say that fits. Dale is, as mentioned, incredibly passionate and driven when he's actually paying attention, but that energy doesn't necessarily go in a positive direction.

Apparently the episode where he ends up in an asylum has the doctor suggest he keeps taking his medication, and I get the feeling Dale understands on some level he's genuinely got mental issues.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I told you nicely to buy me a gun.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mr Hill is helping me buy my gun.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Excellent grouping Colonel! Plus those hollowpoints penetrated Shakespeare into the so-called 'joyous comedies'. As You Like It? Well, I like it plenty.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I like the part at the end when he snaps the pill in half and seems to be angry, but immediately perks up and follows it with "Easier to swallow!" I dunno why, that's just always been one of my favorite gags.

Of course, nothing can top "Did you just say 'Go mom?' Now who's crazy."

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’ve had situations where I’ve had to bite my tongue to stop myself from saying the “go mom?” quote.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I find these episodes centering on Bobby's comedy annoying. the radio clowns, Propaniacs, Chris Rock, etc.

the episode with the turmoil between Dale, Dale's wife and Redcorn is all-time great episode imo. perfect example of why the show is good. the writers are interested and thoughtful enough about the characters to explore them and break the status quo, at least for a bit.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

if Hank was allowed to take his buddies to the fancy restaurant, none of that would have happened :colbert:

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I find these episodes centering on Bobby's comedy annoying. the radio clowns, Propaniacs, Chris Rock, etc.

I think I'm going to vomit

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

the fadeout on the episode where kahn has a pool party and billy ocean is playing is a fuckin vibe

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I wish I had a pool I could fall back into like in the iced tea commercials

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

the episode with the turmoil between Dale, Dale's wife and Redcorn is all-time great episode imo. perfect example of why the show is good. the writers are interested and thoughtful enough about the characters to explore them and break the status quo, at least for a bit.

On the other hand, I chuckle every time Hank says, “Mister Sack”

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Doesn't one of the last episodes of the series have Dale institutionalized?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yes one of the s13 plots has Dale so traumatized by Joseph being romantic with a girl it sends him over the edge. Reminds me a little of Hank going blind from shock after catching his mom and her boyfriend getting freaky.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/bonejail/status/1641855211353554945?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

SettingSun posted:

Yes one of the s13 plots has Dale so traumatized by Joseph being romantic with a girl it sends him over the edge. Reminds me a little of Hank going blind from shock after catching his mom and her boyfriend getting freaky.

How about when a ventriloquist's dummy causes Dale to have a complete psychotic break

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Someone stealing his lawnmower sent Dale on a complete psychotic break. The man wasn't well

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Not just anyone.. Mister “Big”

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Revival Dale is medicated and his having to navigate the US medical system has him now hating and distrusting the government for entirely valid reasons.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

manero posted:

On the other hand, I chuckle every time Hank says, “Mister Sack”

Now see here

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I still don't know why Raymond J Johnson is funny.

I don't care if he taught America to laugh, could've been Mr 1976, or got anyone through the second gas crisis; it just makes zero sense.

A lot of people from that generation have lead poisoning

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Most charitably, it's basically a meme.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
https://twitter.com/tatsthatgohard/status/1642224418658066434?t=J37eKSPGsy877Wc1_B5JEQ&s=19

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
drat, the tat is cool, but that Hank rap slaps! Anybody got a link?

E: wasn’t hard to find: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HISi-3BXtA8

It is not canonical for the hill residence to have a basement.

King Carnivore fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 2, 2023

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

E: whoops

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

Dear Octavio,

This is the hardest letter I've ever had to write

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Most charitably, it's basically a meme.

That's exactly what it was. Its a shaggy dog story of a bit that was probably thought of as funny because it kept cropping up a lot in lots of places. The guy even had his own disco record.

He was the Steamed Hams of his day. Of course Steamed Hams wont ever die because it is timeless and funny. I will gladly purchase my Steamed Hams disco record when the time comes.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

King Carnivore posted:

It is not canonical for the hill residence to have a basement.

I always thought it was weird that Dale had one. Basements are extremely rare in Texas for whatever reason. I don't believe I ever saw a house with one.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

The Bible posted:

I always thought it was weird that Dale had one. Basements are extremely rare in Texas for whatever reason. I don't believe I ever saw a house with one.

If you don’t have a basement how will you build a tunnel??

It was honestly probably added intentionally as a fallout bunker or if the house was built in the 60s built as a potential fallout shelter and the basement was the reason dale bought it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dale does have a history of digging tunnels and other enhancements to his house without a permit.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Dale does have a history of digging tunnels and other enhancements to his house without a permit.

Yeah, but they tend to be disastrously designed as well. He DID build the stairs himself, though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Dales Christmas present to hank that year was letting him help