Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I feel like this explains a lot about how Twitter broke the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

twitter is designed from the ground up to create echo chambers, who knew

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Every recommendation algorithm by definition generates some version of an echo chamber. Hell, the fact that active threads get bumped up to the top on SA generates its own kind of bias about what people read.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Young Freud posted:

Look at the other topics, they're all labelled "-Misinfo" but all of "UkraineCrisisTopic" is literally dumped into the same bin.

Since there's not a link in to the source code breakdown, here's the thread start...
https://twitter.com/aakashg0/status/1641976869460275201?s=20

That's all very nice and good, but with one important problem: it's not very accurate! A couple of his tweets clearly contradict what's shown in the code snippets he's using as his sources, and looking into the repository for the actual context surrounding those code snippets suggests that his other tweets are inaccurate as well.

Which shouldn't be shocking if you look past the authoritative-sounding tweets and look at the actual source! Aakash Gupta is a MBA who's spent his entire career in marketing and management. He likes to tout his days in code camp and his management positions in tech companies to portray himself as a technology expert, but he builds that image solely to drive people to his paid Substack where he claims to dispense expert marketing advice around whatever the current hot tech buzzword is. And for the most part, he's just collecting info from other dubious tweets that have been circulating around, and compiling them into a single thread - he just takes other people's screenshots and paraphrases their tweets. He cites his actual sources later in the thread, and half of them are cryptobros; all this info is actually coming from the likes of @NFT_GOD and @xerocooleth.

Just because a tweet seems detailed doesn't mean it's a good source.

He points to lots of variables with detailed names...but the repositories often don't contain any code that actually uses those variables, so their actual impact is completely unknowable. And even with just this much, there's places where he appears to misinterpret the code. For example:
https://twitter.com/aakashg0/status/1641976906982498310

He says here that external links get you marked as spam unless you have enough engagement. Which is a takeaway one might have if they only read the comments and none of the actual code. The actual code describes a much more complicated logic, with at least four different conditions that go into the decision of whether or not a link is marked as "SPAM_SCORE" or "NOT_SPAM_SCORE". And if you go into the repository and look at the complete class, you can see the value of "ENGAGEMENTS_NO_FILTER", which tells you that the amount of engagements needed to clear the reputation check is a whopping 1.

Similarly, I can't find anything that backs up his assertion that Ukraine content is downranked. The screenshot he shows only demonstrates that Ukraine Crisis content is assigned a category in "SpaceSafetyLabelType", but he doesn't actually demonstrate that this reduces the content's reach. Digging through the repository, I'm actually fairly confident that it doesn't. Yes, a lot of the other SpaceSafetyLabelType items are clearly the kind of stuff you'd expect to be downranked or filtered...but I can dig through the files and find exactly where about half of them are downranked, which happens in other files. "DMCAWithheld" gets handled specially in Action.scala, for instance, while "DoNotAmplify" has half a dozen entries in various Rules files. The Ukraine stuff doesn't have such an entry.

In fact, the only other place Ukraine is mentioned at all in the repository is in PublicInterestSafetyRules, where Ukraine-related misinformation is clearly singled out.

And the "MisinfoCrisis" policy reason listed here does get cited as a reason for downranking and policy violations elsewhere in the repository.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Vegetable posted:

Hell, the fact that active threads get bumped up to the top on SA generates its own kind of bias about what people read.

this is why bookmark browsing is the superior way to use the forums :hehe:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:thumbsup:

https://twitter.com/MNateShyamalan/status/1642625820727336961?s=20

My plugin can still tell the difference though. Wonder how long that will last.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

My plugin can still tell the difference though. Wonder how long that will last.

That part of the plugin was already broken once and it was updated so they'll keep finding a way unless there's a significant rewrite (lol).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/Win98Tech/status/1642944854991699968

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I really hope no one can revert it back and we're just stuck with it

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It actually looks like him trying to hide a lawsuit

https://twitter.com/williamlegate/status/1642952407251296260

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

MonsterEnvy posted:

It actually looks like him trying to hide a lawsuit

https://twitter.com/williamlegate/status/1642952407251296260

But...how does this hide the lawsuit? I realize public opinion is not the court of law but how does making everyone think of Doge again, reminding them about Dogecoin, hide it!?

How Is this man this stupid? HOW? I mean I understand on an intellectual level and yet I cannot accept it on an emotional level.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
if he makes its number go up then how can there be crimes?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

He appears to be mocking the lawsuit, not hiding it.

The doge joke perfectly aligns with what he says in the lawsuit: “There is nothing unlawful about tweeting words of support for, or funny pictures about, a legitimate cryptocurrency that continues to hold a market cap of nearly $10 billion.”

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Alkydere posted:

But...how does this hide the lawsuit? I realize public opinion is not the court of law but how does making everyone think of Doge again, reminding them about Dogecoin, hide it!?

How Is this man this stupid? HOW? I mean I understand on an intellectual level and yet I cannot accept it on an emotional level.

when you search for "elon" and "doge" instead of getting a news article on how he's a scammer, you get a news article on a stupid website thing and don't find out about the scammer thing

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So uh, he's trying to ensure that his lawyers can't argue for jury nullification? How does "hiding" it from public view actually benefit him?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Professor Beetus posted:

So uh, he's trying to ensure that his lawyers can't argue for jury nullification? How does "hiding" it from public view actually benefit him?

he cares more about his public image than he does about the chances of winning this lawsuit specifically, because the vast majority of his wealth is due to convincing rubes to buy tesla stock at hilarious multiples to its actual value

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

evilweasel posted:

he cares more about his public image than he does about the chances of winning this lawsuit specifically, because the vast majority of his wealth is due to convincing rubes to buy tesla stock at hilarious multiples to its actual value

This is why his Twitter fuckup is so hilarious

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
So I guess this is the general social media thread, maybe I can get some help:

I have a dumb meme page on facebook and for the past few weeks, whenever I someone posts a reply, if I click my notification to either like the reply or respond myself, it's been opening meta business manager. Which is ugly, has too much poo poo I'm interested in/ will never use, and doesn't even have a dark mode. I just want to toss a like to the person who posted "lol" to a meme about loving faeries.

Up until today, my work around was to use my phone for responses, but now facebook wants me to download the business suite app instead of just taking me to the post on my goddamn page. All the work arounds I've googled are for pages that have active business profiles and do not work for my issue.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Twitter appears to be systematically blocking functions linking to or promoting substack pages.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Substack debuted a new feature, Substack Notes,
last night resulting in Musk calling up his engineers in the middle of the night to prevent any tweets that has a Substack url from being liked or retweeted, limiting their wider engagement.
https://twitter.com/_FleerUltra/status/1644370566038822912?t=g4fhSdjBvKq6YkjE7f-9hA&s=19

The thing is that Substack is popular with journalists, especially the chud-adjacent grifter types, because they can set up subscriptions with their readers, so there's a lot of complaints from journos and other op-writers about this.

Queue Matt Taibbi, whose face turned out to be quite tasty to Elon the Leopard...https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1644400117036851208?t=aVvuxOqWRTQ4_nSYN83gkA&s=19

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah I’m sure GG and Taibbi in particular are pissed

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Straight up ghosted and tossed away, incredible leopards won’t eat my face moment.

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1644442463766212608

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I don't think Taibbi is a Greenwald-level overrated prick and I thought most of the mistakes harped on in the MSNBC segment were petty bullshit but still LOL serves him right for playing toady to Musk for the scoop.

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015

Vegetable posted:

Every recommendation algorithm by definition generates some version of an echo chamber. Hell, the fact that active threads get bumped up to the top on SA generates its own kind of bias about what people read.

I wonder if sa could productively change that by making threads only sort to the top when they hit a new page instead of every post.

Actually that may make it worse now that I'm thinking abt it but im not a computer guy

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Republicans posted:

I don't think Taibbi is a Greenwald-level overrated prick and I thought most of the mistakes harped on in the MSNBC segment were petty bullshit but still LOL serves him right for playing toady to Musk for the scoop.

Agreed. Pretty rude to subject Taibbi to serious scrutiny of what he wrote like he’s some kind of journalist.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm not sure what he expected, did he think that Elon was going to continue being his buddy?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Republicans posted:

He probably exceeds Greenwald, at the moment I can't think of any instance of Greenwald koolaid-manning through journalistic ethical lines to doxx a narcissistic billionaire's perceived enemies.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Name Change posted:

He probably exceeds Greenwald, at the moment I can't think of any instance of Greenwald koolaid-manning through journalistic ethical lines to doxx a narcissistic billionaire's perceived enemies.

greenwald doxxed an nsa leaker, to the federal government itself

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Greenwald basically lied about his bosses and coworkers at The Intercept so that he could quit while claiming he was 'pushed out' and go start his Substack

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I can at least wrap my head around a guy someone viewing everyone else as disposable toys, and I can understand desperately wanting to be liked, even by weird schlubs.

But the way those impulses combine in Elon is baffling, because apparently the only person on the planet he regards as a real human being, and not an NPC created by the Matrix for him to do with as he pleases, is Catturd2 :psyduck:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Soonmot posted:

So I guess this is the general social media thread, maybe I can get some help:

I have a dumb meme page on facebook and for the past few weeks, whenever I someone posts a reply, if I click my notification to either like the reply or respond myself, it's been opening meta business manager. Which is ugly, has too much poo poo I'm interested in/ will never use, and doesn't even have a dark mode. I just want to toss a like to the person who posted "lol" to a meme about loving faeries.

Up until today, my work around was to use my phone for responses, but now facebook wants me to download the business suite app instead of just taking me to the post on my goddamn page. All the work arounds I've googled are for pages that have active business profiles and do not work for my issue.

I run my relative’s business FB and get the same issues. There does not seem to be a work around and it’s just the shittifying of Social Media, it appears.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Republicans posted:

I can't stand GG but at least he didn't write a memoir in which he bragged about sexually harassing his employees

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-people-taibbi/u-s-journalist-faces-sexual-harassment-furor-over-memoir-idUSKBN1CX0QC

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Musk claims that Taibbi is employed by substack and also Substack tried to dl Twitters database.
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1644638493883211779?s=20

Searches for Substack now returns "newsletter". It also returns results for substack so it appear to mostly muddle searches on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/zeynep/status/1644520442793787392?s=20

Good stuff :munch:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did he ever appoint someone else to run the company like he said he would?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

What does your heart tell you

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I AM GRANDO posted:

He only said that because he was being sued for not paying enough attention to Tesla.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Also the poll was rigged because people who don't pay him were allowed to vote.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

duz posted:

He only said that because he was being sued for not paying enough attention to Tesla.

What, by his competitors? Who wants him paying attention to anything?

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...
https://news.yahoo.com/elon-musk-painted-over-w-051530156.html
Is this real? I mean, I really can't tell anymore. Did Elon musk really make a boob joke at his company headquarters. Does anyone think this man is serious anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Grater posted:

https://news.yahoo.com/elon-musk-painted-over-w-051530156.html
Is this real? I mean, I really can't tell anymore. Did Elon musk really make a boob joke at his company headquarters. Does anyone think this man is serious anymore?

Yes, it's real. As to your other questions, please refer to the fact that Elon musk recently renamed himself hairy balls.