Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chillgamesh posted:

imo Elden Ring is better than any of the Souls games, 2 is the best Souls game, and Sekiro is better than all of them. I haven't played Bloodborne because console exclusive lol

Elden ring would be amazing if it wasn't so easy by and large

Sekiro is better than all the souls games it's true

But Bloodborne rules them all, you can play it on PC afaik?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Slavvy posted:

But Bloodborne rules them all, you can play it on PC afaik?

you cannot

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
fallout 4 is alright because they made gunfeel on gamebryo passable. thats a divine miracle and we should accept it. super weird how they made settlements lol

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

There's a drat chinese submarine that you can get to do missile strikes. thank u comrade, i'm stalin and i will gladly use your missiles. But wait - Can I use that to threaten my enemies? To extract concessions out of other factions? haha no, it's just an underpowered callable artillery strike. oh good i can use my nuke to kill a couple raiders in raider base #146. great.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the real problem with new vegas is that they tried to do this big ideological story about two distinct types of imperialism clashing, but then they made the ncr so laughably incompetent that i guess they figured they had to make the legion just cartoonishly evil because otherwise everybody would side with the ostensible bad guys

A Russian troll farm posted:

Fallout 4 was loving bullshit. I modeled my character after stalin, and I was gonna roleplay stalin. They even gave me my own faction to be leader of. But then i'm just going around asking "wheres shaun!?" and having preston garvey tell me to go help another settlement. Zero control of minuteman policy, can't purge preston, nothing. its bullshit. gently caress you

it does cause a fair bit of narrative dissonance that they make you literally a general and still treat you as an errand boy

thats why the best option is to gently caress the minutemen and go full raider overboss

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Homeless Friend posted:

fallout 4 is alright because they made gunfeel on gamebryo passable. thats a divine miracle and we should accept it. super weird how they made settlements lol

technically its on Creation Engine. Lol that they managed to make basic combat, level design etc good on that engine and then bungled it all with the voiced protagonist. It's some incredible big brained suit decision.

A Russian troll farm posted:

There's a drat chinese submarine that you can get to do missile strikes. thank u comrade, i'm stalin and i will gladly use your missiles. But wait - Can I use that to threaten my enemies? To extract concessions out of other factions? haha no, it's just an underpowered callable artillery strike. oh good i can use my nuke to kill a couple raiders in raider base #146. great.

Fallout already has fatman nukes and you can sprint out of the blast radius. Maybe they just stuck to dirty bombs in the fallout universe and used the tech to make everything more jetsons.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Send us tourists
Full hotels, busy ski resorts: Why Ukraine's tourism sector is having a busy war | CNN

www.cnn.com posted:

✂️
While all functioning Ukraine hotels have shelters these days, most are in converted parking garages or long-unused cellars. The Leopolis’ is in a former cigar lounge that, in 2018, was converted into a private event space (once smoking was banned at the hotel) and also holds a small gym.

“I’ve been to shelters with the kids from the dance school where it smells like mold and everyone is trying to keep good feelings,” says Karttunen. “I know this shelter at the Leopolis is where I will go next time even if I’m at the [nearby] dance studio because it was so beautiful.”

Gut, who lives just north of Kyiv, also sometimes stays at the Radisson Blu in Kyiv. He now prefers staying in hotels as they provide an opportunity to socialize.

“You always have somebody to drink with,” he says. “To tell you the truth, I now try to be in a hotel more than at home because at home I am alone. The hotel provides some psychological support because you always have company.”

Visitors come to the Ukranian ski-resort area of Bukovel for other reasons. Sitting in the Carpathian Mountains, resorts here used to be filled with international visitors, many from Saudi Arabia and nearby countries due to relaxed visa requirements.

“When you entered the resort in 2021, it’s like you were in Dubai,” says Oleksii Voloshyn, CEO of the Edem Hotel Group which includes the HAY Boutique Hotel & Spa by Edem Family in Bukovel and the 80-room Edem Resort in Lviv.

“The hotels could get high rates and the guests were happy with the service and food and the hospitality. In 2022, none of them came because there were no flights.”

The Edem resorts are wellness venues specializing in medical/anti-aging programs as well as detox and relaxation. Before the war, 30% of their guests arrived from international locations. Now, 100% of their guests are Ukrainian.

Edem guests in Bukovel and Lviv come to escape the war, even if only for a few days.

“Ukrainians need to refresh their soul and body to continue to fight again. Everybody is a fighter now on different fronts,” says Voloshyn, who is also the vice president of the Ukrainian Hotel and Lodging Association.

The Edem group had plans to open a third resort in Kyiv in May 2022 but, as Kyiv was hit hard at the beginning of the war and intermittently throughout the past year, the opening was delayed. The hotel is now complete, and plans are to open by this summer.

## Family reunions

A new segment in the Ukrainian hospitality industry is reunification. Families living in different cities of the country – or even in other countries – spend time together at Carpathian mountain resorts or other hotels in western Ukraine.

A key to the survival of the Ukrainian tourism market seems to be flexibility.

While hotels converted existing parking garages and lounges to bomb shelters, the Lviv Tourism Office became a media center for foreign media, says its head, Khrystyna Lebed. “Almost 3,000 foreign media representatives were registered [in 2022].”

Internally displaced persons (IDPs) who have had to relocate due to the war are also using hotels. With western Ukrainian cities generally safer, many fled to Lviv. There, the hospitality industry has welcomed and accommodated those who have fled.

According to Lebed, for the most part, Ukrainian travel companies had no work until last summer when they began organizing children’s camps in the Lviv and Zakarpattya regions, and abroad.

As for local tour guides, understandably, “the demand for guided tours dropped significantly. Later, excursions were organized more regularly for IDPs who needed emotional recovery and wanted to learn more about the city. The city tours also helped IDPs with logistics.”

Many museums are also open and adapting. “Despite the absence of many exhibits, museums have new exhibitions, such as [artist] Maria Prymachenko,” Says Lebed. “For many people, [visiting museums] is a kind of therapy. There is also a growing demand for awareness of Ukraine and its history.”

Besides keeping the tourism industry going and paying staff, like everyone in the country, they are using their experience and resources to help in the battle.

Lviv’s hospitality industry has provided food and accommodation to those displaced by the war. Hotels provided free accommodations and meals for IDPs, comfortable emergency shelters in hotels, and spaces for volunteer centers. Hotel restaurants also prepared and delivered food to shelters, volunteer centers, and for the territorial defense forces.

✂️
Through its Edem Golf Club, it developed a program partnering golf pros with doctors to work with injured soldiers. It also offers yoga and other rehabilitation programs as prescribed by medical personnel on staff.

✂️
Though circumstances are far from conducive to growing the tourism industry, the Lviv Tourism Office says it’s doing its best to find new markets, bolster the industry and help Ukrainians celebrate their country.

Every September, Ukraine celebrates Tourism Day.

Lebed says the appropriateness of marking the occasion was debated, but eventually the decision was taken to invite cultural representatives from cities under Russian military occupation to Lviv to talk about culture, traditions and cuisine.

“And it was a fantastic idea! All of Ukraine gathered in one place. We heard the Sea of Azov sounds, tasted Crimean baklava, and learned how to dress up a Kharkiv-style headscarf. It was a fantastic day! We managed to travel around Ukraine while staying in Lviv.”

Looking toward the future, the Ukrainian tourism industry has high hopes. Once flights are operating, tourism insiders expect business, military, and construction travelers to arrive first.

When leisure travelers return, there will certainly be a substantial amount of dark tourism, generally defined as visiting locations of tragedies such as war, genocide, or other tragic events. Those working in tourism in Ukraine accept this.

Voloshyn compares it to Babyn Yar, a memorial in Kyiv marking the location of the largest massacre by the Nazis in what is now Ukraine. “This is what these places should become. A place that’s not to be forgotten and to be an example to never do it again.”
✂️

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

the real problem with new vegas is that they tried to do this big ideological story about two distinct types of imperialism clashing, but then they made the ncr so laughably incompetent that i guess they figured they had to make the legion just cartoonishly evil because otherwise everybody would side with the ostensible bad guys

it does cause a fair bit of narrative dissonance that they make you literally a general and still treat you as an errand boy

thats why the best option is to gently caress the minutemen and go full raider overboss

Ah! I forgot this until now. I installed artillery pieces in my bases, and the dumbass BoS guy tells me it's "tactically irresponsible" to give the minutemen that kind of firepower, as they could use it to destroy the brotherhood. Bro, i'm the loving faction leader!

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
also fallout 4 lets you do mutual aid by having an army rebuilding a commonwealth on earth. The fall weather is garbage though. Get a grass and tree replacer asap and make it spring/summer.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Tankbuster posted:

technically its on Creation Engine.

the creation engine evolved from its embryonic form, Gamebryo, of which it is a fork

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yes, and source 2 is technically a heavily modded fork of the quake engine.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

goddamn now you made me remember how fnv basically had an entire expansion dedicated to LE EPIC SCIENCE MEMES

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Tankbuster posted:

nah, I just have met american leftists who have been radicalized by epic F:NV.

Fantastic is cool and all, but I wouldn't join a cult or anything.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Orks continue to be naïve and think Ukraine cannot attack Russia wherever and whenever it wants. Putin should surrender to NATO.

Its been pretty wild to see just how quickly everybody got used to the pervasive casual racism from this war. I know I shouldnt be surprised, but still, every liberal being revealed as a propaganda fueled racism golem the moment the media deems a target 'acceptable' for hate has been a ride. When it comes down to it, there is no core difference between a liberal and a chud

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
tbh it has the fig leaf of fantasy races.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Nix Panicus posted:

Its been pretty wild to see just how quickly everybody got used to the pervasive casual racism from this war. I know I shouldnt be surprised, but still, every liberal being revealed as a propaganda fueled racism golem the moment the media deems a target 'acceptable' for hate has been a ride. When it comes down to it, there is no core difference between a liberal and a chud

most westerners are willing to be extremely bloodthirsty and bigoted regardless of particular ideology

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Looks like the finish right wing + center right are going to win comfortably when added together against the libs in finland. Add another to the wall of center left parties getting obliterated because economic conditions and those parties refusal to address them

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

They wanted to make the Legion more in depth, but they ran out of dev time and just made them cartoon villains. Bethesda only gave Obsidian 18 months to make the game, and Obsidian walked into the project with so little knowledge of the engine they had to turn to an Oblivion modder for help. Its a miracle New Vegas came out at all.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
lol the engine is one of the easiest to start making new content in. Skyrim was made by a team of 100 odd people in 3 years. Meanwhile Outer Worlds made by Obsidian had all the staying power of wet cardboard.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Looks like the finish right wing + center right are going to win comfortably when added together against the libs in finland. Add another to the wall of center left parties getting obliterated because economic conditions and those parties refusal to address them

No really hot girlboss finnish leader?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

hell yeah, bricks on the accelerator baby

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

It's interesting that there was no security at this event. Every night club, museum, heck, every metro station in Moscow/SPB has more security than that.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

tazjin posted:

It's interesting that there was no security at this event. Every night club, museum, heck, every metro station in Moscow/SPB has more security than that.

To drag the video game derail even further, blowing up your target with a bust of themselves is some Hitman level poo poo. Did the CIA try anything like that back in the day?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Z the IVth posted:

To drag the video game derail even further, blowing up your target with a bust of themselves is some Hitman level poo poo. Did the CIA try anything like that back in the day?

not sure, but they tried to give castro tuberculosis via diving suit which I feel like has to come after "try to blow him up with trojan statuette"

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

yup, gonna be miserable a 4 years ahead, but then again, these people deserve to suffer

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cuttlefush posted:

not sure, but they tried to give castro tuberculosis via diving suit which I feel like has to come after "try to blow him up with trojan statuette"

they had the exploding cigar and poison ice cream 👁️

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I thought Sanna Marin was pretty popular, what happened? Is inflation hitting Finland hard?

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

bethesda games had cats before. Remember Ma'iq?

Is he really a cat or is that just another lie?

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
New Vegas was such a buggy piece of poo poo on release that I've never pre-purchased a game since, so thanks Obsidian.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Not So Fast posted:

I thought Sanna Marin was pretty popular, what happened? Is inflation hitting Finland hard?

No matter how "Insulated" european countries feel they are against the energy prices caused by the war they never really are. Inflation is still getting higher in finland, power is still between 2 to 3 times more expensive and is prone to go insane. And she was popular until the effects of the war started being felt in the country

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

consolation prize for Erdogan https://twitter.com/independent/status/1642637910984851457

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YrIj4I7ecg

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

something as stupid as this could happen. Maybe a Nobel Peace Prize for Finland in NATO
https://twitter.com/derjamesjackson/status/1642636843014406146?s=46&t=

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
how is it a tight election if her party finished third? also lol succdems lose to the far right after ratcheting up the horror once more.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tankbuster posted:

how is it a tight election if her party finished third? also lol succdems lose to the far right after ratcheting up the horror once more.

Its only tight if you look at the percentages and fail to understand that the 1st and 2nd place are going to form a government together.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Tankbuster posted:

Meanwhile Outer Worlds made by Obsidian had all the staying power of wet cardboard.

Outer Worlds sucked so bad lol

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its only tight if you look at the percentages and fail to understand that the 1st and 2nd place are going to form a government together.

any links to the result?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tankbuster posted:

any links to the result?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65157357

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Chillgamesh posted:

Outer Worlds sucked so bad lol