Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

a little practice blending watercolors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
It was Dog March, but I broke down and doodled some kitties.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

I like your kitties, Ike!

Trying to figure out tree branches in perspective

edit: it needed stronger shadows on the left branch

aw frig aw dang it fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 26, 2023

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

thinking about UHF

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

shadows are hard, and I Dislike how the W&N burnt umber wants to lift up as soon as you wave a damp brush in its direction

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Could be a paper issue as well - is it cotton or cellulose based paper?

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Angrymog posted:

Could be a paper issue as well - is it cotton or cellulose based paper?

Could be! That's in a Strathmore Visual Journal w/ 140lb watercolor paper. It doesn't say whether it's cotton or cellulose, but it acts like cellulose and I'd be surprised if it wasn't. I also have some Arches and another brand of burnt umber paint, so why don't I try a little experiment...

Bigger paper is Arches, top swatches of burnt umber are Winsor & Newton. Bottom swatches are Da Vinci burnt umber. I also included a swatch of W&N Permanent Sap Green on both papers because I was curious if it was just that pigment or what. The rotated boxes thingy was just me killing time while the paint dried :shobon:

To test I used a damp 3/4" wash brush, taking three strokes on each swatch. It does look like the Strathmore paper is more willing to let go of pigment than the Arches, although all the burnt umber swatches lifted visibly. The Da Vinci paint on Arches seems like it held up the best among the burnt umbers.

I guess a conclusion from this might be that if I'm going to be doing a lot of glazing in a painting then I should consider mixing to get that burnt umber color rather than using either of those paints, since it doesn't seem like that pigment holds up under even just a few strokes of a wet brush. And also that cotton paper is rad and worth the money (look at that sap green!)

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

aw frig aw dang it posted:

cotton paper is rad and worth the money

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Feeling bleah about this one but I learned some stuff. Need to treat gouache as its own medium and not just weird watercolors, for one thing. I also gotta use a brush next time I ink over it because running a pen over dried gouache feels awful. Third, I gotta learn how shadows work like, at all.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

great stuff, i love seeing people work with gouache, i could never use it when i tried for some reason but it gets such vibrant results

business card

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

HELLO. I return from my absence with a witchsona:

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

After my moaning about not understanding shadows I decided to spend some time today working on that. Still not comfortable with them but starting to make a little sense.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

Feeling bleah about this one but I learned some stuff. Need to treat gouache as its own medium and not just weird watercolors, for one thing. I also gotta use a brush next time I ink over it because running a pen over dried gouache feels awful. Third, I gotta learn how shadows work like, at all.

This is great. Reminds me immediately of Maurice Noble, one of the greatest background artists for Looney Tunes and other famous works of animation. His works are definitely worth looking up, and I'd also recommend finding some of his books and/or interviews. His approach to his work has provided a wealth to how I think about anything I'm working on.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

IkeTurner posted:

This is great. Reminds me immediately of Maurice Noble, one of the greatest background artists for Looney Tunes and other famous works of animation. His works are definitely worth looking up, and I'd also recommend finding some of his books and/or interviews. His approach to his work has provided a wealth to how I think about anything I'm working on.

Oh wow he had some fabulous stuff! Thank you for telling me about him, I've got a lot of fun things to look into now.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Shinmera posted:

HELLO. I return from my absence with a witchsona:

Yesss let's do this

schmarson
Dec 21, 2012

MY DUDES

Ultra Carp
It was Poisson d'Avril in France!

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Yesss let's do this

Heck yea

#1967: now with colours (tentative)

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Just random doodling and practicing stuff

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

#1968: A small story setup I had in mind for Karina

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

I had insomnia last night so I started drawing my witch getting a new outfit. Then I messed up her face and covered my crimes with gouache

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

A N I M E. And an excuse to test paints. But A N I M E.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

I got a brush pen and it's going to take some getting used to! The look is neat, tho, and once I have better control over my line weights with it I think it's gonna be real useful

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I got a brush pen and it's going to take some getting used to! The look is neat, tho, and once I have better control over my line weights with it I think it's gonna be real useful

Oh keep us updated on that! My brush pen is an unknowable horror but the lines are so nice when they work! So tempting.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

those look amazing! delicate and solid at once

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

#1969: no prizes for guessing what this one's about

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Turbinosamente posted:

A N I M E. And an excuse to test paints. But A N I M E.

It's funny, there's some series and characters I will always think of by their French name first. In this case, Lamu.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Brush pen-in' and watercolorin'

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Fanart of the mysterious child-stealing Bandit, and Professor E. Gadd (Warwick Davis), from Super Mario Bros the Movie 2 (1997).

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Portraits are hard :negative:
I've done so much erasing around her left eye I'm worried the paper can't take much more

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

#1970/1971

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Painted a weird small dog

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
More fanart of characters from Super Mario Bros 2 (1997), the much-maligned sequel to the beloved Bob Hoskins movie.

Wario (Danny Devito) and Waluigi (Joaquin Phoenix) were Koopa's attempts at cloning Mario and Luigi with added dinosaur DNA. They proved to be too uncontrollable but eventually struck out on their own, Wario founding Wario Coliseum, and Waluigi becoming Dinohattan's richest pinball magnate. People battle it out to the death in Wario Coliseum--some are there by choice, but others are forced to compete and are strapped to so-called "warioware" that ensures compliance.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Argue posted:

More fanart of characters from Super Mario Bros 2 (1997), the much-maligned sequel to the beloved Bob Hoskins movie.

Wario (Danny Devito) and Waluigi (Joaquin Phoenix) were Koopa's attempts at cloning Mario and Luigi with added dinosaur DNA. They proved to be too uncontrollable but eventually struck out on their own, Wario founding Wario Coliseum, and Waluigi becoming Dinohattan's richest pinball magnate. People battle it out to the death in Wario Coliseum--some are there by choice, but others are forced to compete and are strapped to so-called "warioware" that ensures compliance.

apparently A Lot of people didn't know this movie existed, i keep getting "Super Mario Bros 2 (1997) first time movie reaction" recommendation on The Youtube.

Zibraltar
Jul 15, 2007

by VideoGames

Argue posted:

This rules. Nice work.

Here's an old chestnut.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

I got my first digital tablet and broke it in drawing pokes

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

YEAH!!!

yeah

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I also drew pokeman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

HopperUK posted:

I also drew pokeman

hell yeah pokemans!

i drew this beefachu for a coworker on a slow day