Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Really liking the adjustment to cpu defensive ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Communist Bear posted:

Directional hitting is kinda weird. PCI at least feels kind of natural, but it is definitely alot harder. I guess though it's more realistic in that home runs feel rare and the result of good batting against the pitcher.

Oh I think directional feels more like how batters actually describe their approach. The idea of hitting a baseball using a third person shooter reticule seems weird.

So I kinda like it more of simulator style season play, but online play PCI is better because it struggles to get great contact on the edges.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

Word. OldCaptainLog on Xbox is me. If you send me a request, put something like "Goon" in a message with it. I've got an extremely cluttered friend's list on there from decades of goon gaming and it's easy to miss poo poo.

What's everyone thinking of the tech test? I'm reading a ton of positive impressions, but also reading that fielding has become impossible. Which sounds...neat.

Hey, I sent you a request, I'm stefanprodan on The Show, it wouldn't let me send a message so let me know if you don't get it. You can also try adding me, I don't have a cluttered friends request list :smith:

Also willing to co-op with anyone else in here, I think I'm getting pretty decent and I don't mind if anyone stinks I just want to have a good time and whack some balls around without being by myself, just add stefanprodan on the show and if you want to do voice if you're on xbox add StefanProdan#9551 on discord

I think co-op has a separate rating too so you don't have to worry about being dragged into higher rating games

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
I think I'm going to do some co op later in the season once I've knocked out my hit/runs challenges, but I'd be interested. I haven't tried it yet but was going to dip the toe with randoms.

Honestly it seemed potentially to be a more chill way to grind innings.

GT is my SA name if you want to msg.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

MJBuddy posted:

I think I'm going to do some co op later in the season once I've knocked out my hit/runs challenges, but I'd be interested. I haven't tried it yet but was going to dip the toe with randoms.

Honestly it seemed potentially to be a more chill way to grind innings.

GT is my SA name if you want to msg.

Sure, I'll add you on the show.

I just noticed, they really want you to do co-op play: you get 3x the ranked program points for doing co-op innings as you do solo, like for instance 25 innings is 5 points solo but 15 points co-op, and so on

If anyone wants to message me to coordinate games since we're not on the same platform it's StefanProdan#9551 on discord

Oh yeah it's up to 3v3 also so I mean we can all 3 of us play sometime

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 4, 2023

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Is it me, or does it take an awfully loving long time to level up your two way player in RTTS?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Is it me, or does it take an awfully loving long time to level up your two way player in RTTS?

Yeah, if you play the normal way it takes for loving ever

The fast way is to put the game on beginner unfortunately and just grind homeruns at least until you get to the gold or diamond skill set, then play the game normally if you want to

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah, if you play the normal way it takes for loving ever

The fast way is to put the game on beginner unfortunately and just grind homeruns at least until you get to the gold or diamond skill set, then play the game normally if you want to

No I'm at Diamond already. I just mean the attributes like Stamina, fielding, power vs l/r, etc

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

No I'm at Diamond already. I just mean the attributes like Stamina, fielding, power vs l/r, etc

oh yeah that stuff takes forever, the fastest way to do it I think is to sim until the last 3 games of a series, go into those games, sim them and exit, and then do the batting cage/training field stuff to get those big boosts

while watching a movie or something because zzz

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Stefan Prodan posted:

Sure, I'll add you on the show.

I just noticed, they really want you to do co-op play: you get 3x the ranked program points for doing co-op innings as you do solo, like for instance 25 innings is 5 points solo but 15 points co-op, and so on

If anyone wants to message me to coordinate games since we're not on the same platform it's StefanProdan#9551 on discord

Oh yeah it's up to 3v3 also so I mean we can all 3 of us play sometime

Got your add. No idea how to actually see you in game. Will figure it out eventually.

The reason I think co op gives more rewards is because you can't make mission progress for stats/10k PXP repeatable and I believe PXP won't accrue in co op. I use my PXP team build in ranked generally, so that's a huge setback in progressing in TA right now.

E: like roughly playing 6 games in Ranked will net you
10 points from PxP
3 points from wins
20 points from Innings until you're over 100
Whatever progress you make in PxP missions with cards/hits/runs/ks.

In Co op it'll get you 30 points from Innings and I think it also has a repeatable win point so 33. The extra mission stuff just puts it over in SP.

But I imagine I'd be less stressed playing co op, so maybe still worth it.

MJBuddy fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 5, 2023

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Ah, poo poo. I'm sorry if I missed any invites. I need to check this thread more often. I'll try to figure out how to add y'all. If you sent me a message, I won't miss it. My friends list is super loving clogged from decades of goon gaming, mixed in with lulls where I won't play anything for a couple years.

Sadness - My ranked record is 1-3

I've never, ever had such a bad start. Game logs below.

The crazy thing? My Battle Royale card is 6-1 right now, which is insane for me. I'm winning plenty of Event games. But Ranked? I'm getting stomped.
----------------------
Game One - 2 to 1 Loss - Opponent has lineup with loving bronzes, but pitches gold Cy Young. They knew what they were doing, and managed to hold me to almost nothing but singles and won based on a single home run. I think I got eight or nine hits to their two.

Game Two - 6 to 0 Win - Got six runs in the first inning and opponent quit

Game Three - 4 to 1 Loss - A good game where I outhit the opponent, and lost 4-1 thanks to two home runs. Only struck out four times, but got awful BABIP.

Game Four - 13 to 1 Loss - Got mercy'd in the fifth inning by a person with a bunch of insanely hard to earn cards. They beat me 13-1, then started taunting the gently caress out of me at the end. Possibly the worst beating I've ever received.
----------------------

Truth be told, I could handle losing that third game. It was competitive, I just lost. But getting matched up with trolls and goons when my rating is 60 loving hurts. I'm going off in the other game modes, so I'm not broken. Right?!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

Ah, poo poo. I'm sorry if I missed any invites. I need to check this thread more often. I'll try to figure out how to add y'all. If you sent me a message, I won't miss it. My friends list is super loving clogged from decades of goon gaming, mixed in with lulls where I won't play anything for a couple years.

Sadness - My ranked record is 1-3

I've never, ever had such a bad start. Game logs below.

The crazy thing? My Battle Royale card is 6-1 right now, which is insane for me. I'm winning plenty of Event games. But Ranked? I'm getting stomped.
----------------------
Game One - 2 to 1 Loss - Opponent has lineup with loving bronzes, but pitches gold Cy Young. They knew what they were doing, and managed to hold me to almost nothing but singles and won based on a single home run. I think I got eight or nine hits to their two.

Game Two - 6 to 0 Win - Got six runs in the first inning and opponent quit

Game Three - 4 to 1 Loss - A good game where I outhit the opponent, and lost 4-1 thanks to two home runs. Only struck out four times, but got awful BABIP.

Game Four - 13 to 1 Loss - Got mercy'd in the fifth inning by a person with a bunch of insanely hard to earn cards. They beat me 13-1, then started taunting the gently caress out of me at the end. Possibly the worst beating I've ever received.
----------------------

Truth be told, I could handle losing that third game. It was competitive, I just lost. But getting matched up with trolls and goons when my rating is 60 loving hurts. I'm going off in the other game modes, so I'm not broken. Right?!

Haha, you just need a bigger sample, 4 games is nothing and it sounds like you just ran into an actual goon in the third one. I feel like I've been probably lucky so far that I just haven't run into any WS players on their way up since my ERA is still like 2 in ranked and I doubt I'm doing anything crazy different while pitching than anyone else

I sent you a friend request ingame, it'll be in the ingame show the thing not the Xbox interface

We (the three of us or whoever else) should probably figure out something off of here that's more real-time like discord to message each other on though if we want to play games

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Haven't played a baseball game in literal decades? and definitely not something on this level of awesome. If I'm remembering correctly, it was MLB '99 because I remember Pedro being wildly unhittable and the ASG taking place in Fenway.

Road to the show question, starting pitcher, how much does all of the fielding/arm strength OR general stats like speed (not worried about hitting) stuff factor into overall rating? I make the plays I need to (outside of a few struggles in the first season while I got used to it) and am sitting mid 80s OVR in the middle of year 3. I assume that's a fine return without having cheesed it via beginner plays or whatever, just want to know what kind of ascension to expect. 99 is possible, right?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Stefan Prodan posted:

Haha, you just need a bigger sample, 4 games is nothing and it sounds like you just ran into an actual goon in the third one. I feel like I've been probably lucky so far that I just haven't run into any WS players on their way up since my ERA is still like 2 in ranked and I doubt I'm doing anything crazy different while pitching than anyone else

I sent you a friend request ingame, it'll be in the ingame show the thing not the Xbox interface

We (the three of us or whoever else) should probably figure out something off of here that's more real-time like discord to message each other on though if we want to play games

Ahhh, that’s probably why I missed it. I’m incredibly active selling cards, so I tend to delete notifications en masse.

Right now, my main focus is on wrapping up the US Conquest map. I’ve finished all the other ones, including the one release yesterday. Once I get that done, I’m down.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

Ahhh, that’s probably why I missed it. I’m incredibly active selling cards, so I tend to delete notifications en masse.

Right now, my main focus is on wrapping up the US Conquest map. I’ve finished all the other ones, including the one release yesterday. Once I get that done, I’m down.

Yeah, I've been grinding up stubs doing flipping also, I'm at like 530k now or something, still a ways to go before even getting Sosa, much less Jeter

I do want to grind for those two, basically don't care about McGwire.

One thing that kinda sucks about the set thing and the early 99s is that it makes it so that I mean in the normal year progression you didn't really use the team collections or division collection rewards for that long but they were still decent for a month or two

Now, Jeter and Sosa are good but everyone else would just be for fun. Even the 97 Hank Aaron was immediately not relevant on day 1 compared to like some free WBC cards. Kinda silly.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah, I've been grinding up stubs doing flipping also, I'm at like 530k now or something, still a ways to go before even getting Sosa, much less Jeter

One thing that kinda sucks about the set thing and the early 99s is that it makes it so that I mean in the normal year progression you didn't really use the team collections or division collection rewards for that long but they were still decent for a month or two

Now, Jeter and Sosa are good but everyone else would just be for fun. Even the 97 Hank Aaron was immediately not relevant on day 1 compared to like some free WBC cards. Kinda silly.

Yeah, I agree. I do like that they're trying to keep stuff fresh and avoid to power creep progression over the entire year. But the WBC cards immediately made so many of the collection rewards just useless.

Chris Sale is always one of my best pitchers. But using his 92 when I have a rack full of 97+ folks just isn't competitive.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I finally did the nation of baseball for...some reason lol

At least I did get a bunch of team affinity done but it's kinda sad that I probably won't really use the Bob Clemente except for some event that requires core cards only or something if there is one

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah the last two years I made my way through team collections and this year I'm just holding money and flipping/buying cards I think will get upgraded until I've got enough to complete the set and then I'll buy out (or get a little buffer for the set 1 collection).

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I accidentally hit "sell now" instead of "create sell order" when listing on the market and cost myself 4,000 stubs. Grrrr

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Alright I still dont get the set business. Someone please explain it to me. Core cards can be used all year, set 1 can only be used for 35 more days.... So what's the point in grinding for/buying set 1 cards if theyre unusable in a month. Wouldnt it be a way better way to spend time and coins on good core cards via the market and collections? I know you can lock one card past the set 1 but I always run an all Dominican team and I'm gonna have the 97 WBC Gary Sanchez locked all year cause its the only position DR is weak at and well the card is really good (Jose Ramirez live series is excellent again btw, switch hitter with 100 quirks that make him way more dangerous than the stats suggest).

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Seltzer posted:

Alright I still dont get the set business. Someone please explain it to me. Core cards can be used all year, set 1 can only be used for 35 more days.... So what's the point in grinding for/buying set 1 cards if theyre unusable in a month. Wouldnt it be a way better way to spend time and coins on good core cards via the market and collections? I know you can lock one card past the set 1 but I always run an all Dominican team and I'm gonna have the 97 WBC Gary Sanchez locked all year cause its the only position DR is weak at and well the card is really good (Jose Ramirez live series is excellent again btw, switch hitter with 100 quirks that make him way more dangerous than the stats suggest).

Set 1 can be used until Set 3 is out, it's always going to be the current set AND the last one

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

Set 1 can be used until Set 3 is out, it's always going to be the current set AND the last one

That's confusing. Still annoying though that in two months cards you like might be unusable. I still think I'm gonna focus on getting and leveling good core cards. I did the collection for 86 Dibble last night. His 84 I used all game last year. His 86 is core and a captain card too. 102 fastball 91 cutter and 85 slider is incredible for messing with people's timing.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 7, 2023

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of the sets either to be honest

I think the main reason to get all or a bunch of Set 1 is just to get one of the Set 1 collection cards like either Chipper or Ruth and use that as your wildcard lock in for the rest of the year

Like Chipper will be playable the entire rest of the year for sure I think

But I'm mostly trying to get the free ones, I'm not trying to buy too many

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I did the whole WBC set cause well, WBC was really fun and is good for my DR team + some of those japanese guys will never get a card in game again so its cool theyre available. Then I did the one TA with Devers and Wander. Now ill try to do more collections and live series buying. I hope they dont sink Tatis
live series rating because of his suspension. His cards are so good.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm just flipping to get enough to get Sosa and Jeter, otherwise I'm just doing TA mini seasons just to make progress on it, I got 3 people from the NL west because I think that actually has 3 ok cards, the other ones are just okay, although I do like AL West also for Pena and Ward

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Devers is really good again btw. And seems like you face a ton of righty pitchers atm and he hits left.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Seltzer posted:

Devers is really good again btw. And seems like you face a ton of righty pitchers atm and he hits left.

Yeah he seems good but I'm running Gunnar Henderson at 3B and I fuckin love him so far, he also hits L, is 113/115 vs right, high 80s in all the fielding, and 91 speed

Clevername Lookhere
Jan 9, 2006
New to The Show here and starting my first Franchise. Does anyone know if spring training "matters" for lack of a better term? For example - Should I be limiting or not playing my starters, making sure to get plenty of time for my minor leaguers, etc? I'm playing spring training so I can practice, but wanna make sure I don't wear out my pitchers too early or anything like that. Probably just overthinking it but I haven't found much info on this online yet.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Seasons are 60 days. Set 1 is good until July, at which point it'll be phased out when set 3 is introduced. The wild card slot in your lineup management screen is useless right now but come July you will be able to slot any one retired card into there.

With how top heavy the ratings are this year I don't think it'll be an issue. You can be 94 OVR just by playing the first half of the WBC program. Core diamonds will also fetch a decent price all year since they never retire, so you can turn one core diamond dupe into 2 or 3 seasonal diamonds if you desired. I like it because it speeds up the grind to having a competitive team and the meta will keep shifting

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Based purely on stats, the WBC cards are hard to beat right now.

I've actually rehabbed my Ranked record from 1-3 to 4-3. I had a game today where the lead changed four times, and I somehow came out on top. I don't really think I had any business winning that game. But Chris Sale is one of my favorite pitchers in the game, so I hit the gently caress out of him. He's limited in where and what he can use, once you get it down.

Should be done with the US Map early next week. Then I should be down to try out so coop.

Warning - I'm very bad.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

Based purely on stats, the WBC cards are hard to beat right now.

I've actually rehabbed my Ranked record from 1-3 to 4-3. I had a game today where the lead changed four times, and I somehow came out on top. I don't really think I had any business winning that game. But Chris Sale is one of my favorite pitchers in the game, so I hit the gently caress out of him. He's limited in where and what he can use, once you get it down.

Should be done with the US Map early next week. Then I should be down to try out so coop.

Warning - I'm very bad.

Totally fine! I just wanna get out there and smack some balls around and get some co-op innings since I did a lot of the rest of the missions

plus we'll be ranked against people very low on the co op ladder

Would be fun if we can find a time all 3 of us can play

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Putting in those event rounds now too. I skipped last week because it's a goon fest of pre order whales but got 6 wins tonight (probably should have won a few more but alas).

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Yeah pretty much every player I ran into last week had the 99 McGuire you get for having the complete AL core collection

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

MJBuddy posted:

Oh I think directional feels more like how batters actually describe their approach. The idea of hitting a baseball using a third person shooter reticule seems weird.

So I kinda like it more of simulator style season play, but online play PCI is better because it struggles to get great contact on the edges.

Yeah I've changed my mind, directional hitting is my friend now.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I don't want to gently caress up my approach, but using PCI on some of these minutes feels impossible. I'm getting stuck on single moments for entire days.

Should I just turn on direction for the moments? I've never encountered a "Hit a Home Run" that took me multiple tries.

loving Bautista.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Directional is like the preferred method for home run moments, I'm not sure is Charlie Blackmon's moment is even possible without it.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Yeah definitely make the settings as easy as you can if you're grinding games or moments or you'll just end up getting frustrated. Also I get more consistent power using the regular swing instead of the power swing. The power swing just LOVES to generate infield popups on good contact

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If you're using zone for moments, really try to wait for pitches that are in the higher part of the zone and try to get a little under them

The PCI is so big on veteran that it becomes really hard to get under pitches that are thrown low, not to mention the ball is probably going to drop a little more than you think

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Grem posted:

Directional is like the preferred method for home run moments, I'm not sure is Charlie Blackmon's moment is even possible without it.

It wasn't that hard. I just sat my PCI around mid and looked for anything high and inside and tried to stay barely under it. Took longer to do most pitching moments.

But yes last year I did directional on those when I struggled and just held up and in. I also think a lot of people online are using it but that's just because I don't think someone who cant throw a strike is suddenly crushing sinkers at the knees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You never know, I read all about the Chuck Nasty moment and on the 4th try I got the no doubter HR animation. On the other hand I accumulated about 2800xp before I finally hit one with Duvall off Bautista. Was a good lesson in the importance of the vision stat. Used PCI for all of it. Had maybe 5 die in the deep triangle just right of center, 3 or 4 off the top of the wall in left, and 1 one hop the wall in right.