Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Burns posted:

I wonder who he managed to piss off that went beyond just driving up to him in a black unmarked car and unloading an automatic into him.

Russians cant afford unmarked black cars or automatic weapons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

McGavin posted:

On Canadian radio they said that he was critical of the war, but left out that he was critical because it wasn't brutal enough. :ughh:

Lol. Can i ask which news station this was? Canadian news is awful, just the worst milktoast poo poo ever.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Burns posted:

Lol. Can i ask which news station this was? Canadian news is awful, just the worst milktoast poo poo ever.

Hourly news on CBC, which makes it even more shameful.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Apparently they arrested some 26 girl who apparently dropped a box with a bust of a Russia commisar on it into the building to blow up the critic

I saw an interesting twitter comment so take it with ZERO confirmation of anything they are saying.

quote:

Wrong place, wrong time. She was played by the FSB. Tatarsky was a critic of Shoigu, the Kremlin sent a message. BTW, it's Prigoshins restaurant.. and he was invited, but didn't come (mabey he has better spies in the Kremlin..)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I saw that as well, best to take it with a huge grain of salt.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Girkin must be absolutely terrified

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mokotow posted:

the pubic wig?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Mokotow posted:

Surely, some wry Yiddish wit exists in the world to make a, "Gerkin shrinks.", joke.

As an aside, is there a Yiddish thread on SA? I embrace swearing and ribald jokes in every language.

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 3, 2023

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

There is one but you can't use the t-word in it.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

shadow puppet of a posted:

There is one but you can't use the t-word in it.

tits?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

tuchus

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
tunt

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ah. such vulgarity

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Intelligence agencies don't risk messy operations like this on utter nobodies. A risk to the people involved, a risk to their methods and sources being revealed, and a risk of being accused of terrorism for the slight gain of a dead ex-criminal loudmouth of no real threat. That Greenwald seems to be implying that the Ukrainians went to that effort seems laughable, and worse, that he is implying that they are "terrorists" for having done so rather elides the reality of Russian disinterest of who they kill as long as they are Ukrainian. There's no journalism here and not a shred of objective thought. Greenwald isn't the journalist he might have been in the past, and certainly isn't the journalist he thinks he is. I'm sure there's a story there, but not the one Greenwald seems to imply.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Cheryl

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Babou!!!

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Sedgr posted:

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

More and more people are saying this

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Serpentine!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Karma Comedian posted:

More and more people are saying this

I can't for the life of me understand why

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Sedgr posted:

I wonder what the statuette was? Classical marble statue, Warhammer 40k, or life sized replica of Putin made out of turds?

I think they believe it was white, porcelain, and possibly bowl-shaped from what I read.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

the popes toes posted:

Intelligence agencies don't risk messy operations like this on utter nobodies. A risk to the people involved, a risk to their methods and sources being revealed, and a risk of being accused of terrorism for the slight gain of a dead ex-criminal loudmouth of no real threat. That Greenwald seems to be implying that the Ukrainians went to that effort seems laughable, and worse, that he is implying that they are "terrorists" for having done so rather elides the reality of Russian disinterest of who they kill as long as they are Ukrainian. There's no journalism here and not a shred of objective thought. Greenwald isn't the journalist he might have been in the past, and certainly isn't the journalist he thinks he is. I'm sure there's a story there, but not the one Greenwald seems to imply.

I wouldn't call him a "nobody", he's been fighting Ukraine since 2014 and his telegram channel had 500k+ subscribers.

People without strong state protections who become symbols of Russian chauvinism like Tatarsky, Igor Mangushev, Aleksandr Dugin, seem to be getting targeted. It could be they're killed because they make the SMO look bad, or due to some other internal conflict, but I don't see why it can't be the GUR doing it

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Flavahbeast posted:

I wouldn't call him a "nobody", he's been fighting Ukraine since 2014 and his telegram channel had 500k+ subscribers.

People without strong state protections who become symbols of Russian chauvinism like Tatarsky, Igor Mangushev, Aleksandr Dugin, seem to be getting targeted. It could be they're killed because they make the SMO look bad, or due to some other internal conflict, but I don't see why it can't be the GUR doing it

This is true. Anyone in Russia who pays attention to the war would be very likely to be familiar with Tatarsky. He was approaching Rybar levels of popularity in the mil-blogger sphere. My take was that this was a warning to Prigozhin. Tatarsky was killed in Prigozhin's cafe at an event Prigozhin was said to be invited to as well. This has the feel of an MoD action.

This is where poo poo becomes very real to an average Russian city dweller. When one doesn’t know whether they could be killed or wounded simply by dining at a cafe in St. Petersburg.

It implies a failure of the state security. Which can lead to further security restrictions, as the security apparatus responds. This is especially true if the state security apparatus is the one behind the attack in the first place.

A statuette filled with 200g of TNT was handed to Tatarsky. Man killed on the spot.

Tsar Putin got rid of a nationalist big mouth putting pressure on him to do things their way. Alexander Dugin was babbling about martyrs. He (and Girkin) should take the hint, shut up, and let Putin lose the war however he wants.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 3, 2023

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Flavahbeast posted:

Criminals, and he was an out-and-out criminal, can be useful during wartime. At a certain point they become a liability. Better, then, to take care of them before they are out of the state's control.

Motorola, Arkan, Kadyrov, etc., these people take what they can get but seem to find the tip of the sword hanging over them... fall.

Sometimes these systems of both crime, organized or otherwise, always touching the state, get pushed under the rug as quickly and as early as possible. Sometimes they make a name and consider themselves untouchable.

I dunno if this falls under Clancy-chat, but there looks there's a through-line in the "Russian world" of supporting these horrible people to do horrible things and then discarding them when plausible deniability is lost. This is not unique to the Russian sphere of interest, but it seems to be a feature of the system of control from the Yugoslav Wars on (Clancy-chat, the Russians were involved and took what lessons they could from it). Trading money for influence, influence upon money, upon money, upon influence.

Maybe we should have let that British officer punish the RF then and there in the former Yugoslav republics. We're past that now.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost

Sedgr posted:

I wonder what the statuette was? Classical marble statue, Warhammer 40k, or life sized replica of Putin made out of turds?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Is that the M3gan I keep hearing about?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

A Boom House?!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Scuttlebutt says it was a statue of the target himself.
I choose to believe it was a nesting doll. Him under helmet, him bald, Cheburashka, it's ears pop out, *ting* "Friends!" BOOM!

gently caress, that's horrible of me to say. Innocent people may have died.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

HonorableTB posted:

This is true. Anyone in Russia who pays attention to the war would be very likely to be familiar with Tatarsky. He was approaching Rybar levels of popularity in the mil-blogger sphere. My take was that this was a warning to Prigozhin. Tatarsky was killed in Prigozhin's cafe at an event Prigozhin was said to be invited to as well. This has the feel of an MoD action.

This is where poo poo becomes very real to an average Russian city dweller. When one doesn’t know whether they could be killed or wounded simply by dining at a cafe in St. Petersburg.

It implies a failure of the state security. Which can lead to further security restrictions, as the security apparatus responds. This is especially true if the state security apparatus is the one behind the attack in the first place.

A statuette filled with 200g of TNT was handed to Tatarsky. Man killed on the spot.

Tsar Putin got rid of a nationalist big mouth putting pressure on him to do things their way. Alexander Dugin was babbling about martyrs. He (and Girkin) should take the hint, shut up, and let Putin lose the war however he wants.

This was 100% a warning aimed at the ultranationalist faction. Even though, in the bigger scheme of things, Tatarsky's just a pawn, if a popular pawn, he's still well known enough among and outside the ultranationalist circles that what happened to him was a warning to lay off on the criticisms. I think what Strelkov did recently about forming his "angry patriots club" was one factor that set things off.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

A Boom House?!

:drat:

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
if russian intelligence were involved they missed the perfect opportunity to put polonium in the coffee machine, killing everyone including their operatives who would be identified immediately by independent osint twitterers. even then it's not like they've done something crazy like bomb apartment buildings, marking the beginning of the putin regime or anything

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Will Marin's election loss to the right in Finland make a difference in their NATO application?

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

HonorableTB posted:

Will Marin's election loss to the right in Finland make a difference in their NATO application?

No.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Honestly, the motivates for assassinating this person are so tangled that I'm not sure you can untangle who's behind it as easily as "FSB vs Wagner".

NATO Intel agencies have been running hog wild in Russia this whole time. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that this assisination was a NATO Intel agency aiming at low hanging fruit just to show that they could. I mean, c'mon. Bomb hidden in a statuette is not the style of subtlety that the FSB has lately endorsed, with all the high profile drownings or trips out of the windows of multi-story buildings.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Icochet posted:

Probably just a burst samovar

Don't look at me, man. I was nowhere near the place.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

HonorableTB posted:

This is true. Anyone in Russia who pays attention to the war would be very likely to be familiar with Tatarsky.

Looks like ISW writes about this in their daily report today.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

Samovar posted:

Yeah we all know you have impressive reach and distance, no need to brag.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Samovar posted:

Excellent

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Lol the woman that gave the milblogger the bomb straight up said "Security asked me if there was a bomb inside" right before it went off

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

HonorableTB posted:

Lol the woman that gave the milblogger the bomb straight up said "Security asked me if there was a bomb inside" right before it went off

ISW claimed that Fomin asked her as a joke if there was a bomb in it about five minutes before he found out there was a bomb in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Absolutely no way was this a nato member intelligence assassination. The clear possibilities, to me anyways, are the Russian state, some other Russian person or organization (most likely imo), or Ukrainian partisans inside Russia.