Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Arivia posted:

Do you know what supplement, out of curiosity?
Witchaven, funnily enough, by WyrmWorks.

ETTiNGRiNDER posted:

If you look in the credits screens for Witchaven, you will notice a credit for "Story & Original Maps: Mike Pitts". Mike Pitts, along with Jon Emmons, created several tabletop RPG supplements under the name Wyrm Works, the fourth of which was titled, you guessed it: Witchaven. First released in 1992 and reprinted in 1994, Wyrm Works' Witchaven is a set of 20 looseleaf maps for tabletop RPGs such as D&D.

The set is described on the back cover sheet thusly:

"Witchaven is set near a volcano. This twenty page set is the most densely drawn of any of the WyrmWorks maps. It features a central conjuration room which is connected to a lava pool by a long shaft lined with magic metal. Other features include: A large holding room for monsters, slaves, and the like; an auditorium; and hundres of room complexes and apartments for housing witches (or anything the game master wants!). Like all of the other sets many of these maps can be mixed and matched to be used as smaller lairs or as individual maps."
(Yes, the "hundres" spelling error is verbatim from the sheet.)

Although in most cases the level designers at Capstone seem to have come up with their own layouts, there are at least two levels that can be clearly traced to the Wyrm Works Witchaven set:

Map 4-4 roughly corresponds to Level 10:

Map 4-9 is the basis for Level 4:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
And I found a thread on the Acaeum with Allen "grodog" Grohe and others describing the quality of them as a tabletop supplement as dogshit, as well! Doubly-cursed, then.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Quantum of Phallus posted:

someone should make a list alright...

A list of nsf casualties

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I wonder how much the rights to Witchaven and the Capstone name are

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Barudak posted:

I wonder how much the rights to Witchaven and the Capstone name are
I think a lot of that stuff has been snatched up by SNEG for Steam and GOG releases, so probably not very expensive. :v:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The Kins posted:

I think a lot of that stuff has been snatched up by SNEG for Steam and GOG releases, so probably not very expensive. :v:

I was gonna ask what the hell an appliance manufacturer wants in some game IPs, but then I realized that was SMEG.

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!
lol smeg

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
what would a red dwarf shooter look like anyway

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Polymorph prop hunt

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

kirbysuperstar posted:

what would a red dwarf shooter look like anyway

It'd be Gunmen of the Apocalypse themed, so Outlaws with some sprite and sound changes

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Witchaven 1 has the same number of enemies as Witchaven 2. That sounds pretty normal except, listen, they both have non-erroneous monster counts of 17, but they only share 9 monsters. Somebody sat down and garbage binned perfectly fine monsters and replaced them with nothing. Its like if Doom 2 went, ok, lets add chaingunners, revenants, and arachnotron but we have to dumpster imps, zombie soldiers, and hell knights.

Map 13 is also a level in Witchaven I can't tell if its genius, trolling, or lazy as hell but its got an absolutely enormous sprawling maze section which hides the level exit. This exit is blocked by a key door which is also fiendishly deep into the maze. Or you can just, you know, jump in through the open window in the back of the room and use the exit. There are so many keys and pathways in levels you just do not need and I've discovered you can super jump due to collision issues alongside diagonal movement and jumping movements making you faster, especially over slowing terrain makes me ponder what speedrunning this game would look like.

Edit: Map 12 requires you to go through an invisible wall (or burn a door open spell) in order to progress. Said invisible wall has 0 clues to its existence, well, unless you count the fact that the auto-map you can pull up at any time clearly shows it. Grondoval is not a warrior wizard, he is a cartogromancer

Barudak fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 2, 2023

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Witchaven 3 seems like it should be a Return of the Triad type deal where all the existing assets are reused in a competent engine to make something like what it should have been in the first place

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The singular design choice that really messes up Witchaven is that every level exit cannot be used if you havent collected the exit item in that level. It means every stage has to place two items to exit which often means you find the exit or the key and have no flippin idea where to go next, or the key is directly on the path to the exit raising the question of why you need it at all.

66% through Witchaven 1 the issue is most levels have at most two keys to find and often they are partially or wholly optional. Whole areas of a level will often serve no purpose and with how slow and bad at pursuing you enemies are minimal risk to just wandering around hallways looking for what you need but being deeply unsatisfying if you go "out of order". Witchaven 2 is often the opposite, with 4+ keys in a stage strictly controlling your path so why even require me to find the teleporter key if I can't get into the teleport room without 3 other keys daisy chained from this area?

david_a posted:

Witchaven 3 seems like it should be a Return of the Triad type deal where all the existing assets are reused in a competent engine to make something like what it should have been in the first place

You can sort of see it, dimly, crudely. The problem is a lot of the fundamentals are messed up so just going "ok all enemies and tilesets in a single game" isn't going to be enough, you've got to do some underlying changes. They knew it themselves because leveling and how attacks work look the same across both games but are massively different. And yes, I did start making a list of what to do.

Although thanks to a bug I cant figure out how to trigger on purpose but absolutely can be done via some sort of input/saving+loading issues I have figured out the game is rendering the entire area at all times and the impentrable black void about 5 meters in front of your face in Witchaven 2 and parts of Witchaven 1 is not a coding limitation or some attempt at maintaing framerate, its an aesthetic choice.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I was loving Amid Evil but the enemies in the Arcane Expanse kind of got on my nerves (the low level enemies have too much health and the high level enemies don't have enough), and The Forges are kind of a slog. Everything manages to damage me, it's too cramped, and after being so relieved there are no floor-is-lava areas or spear trap sections, I'm in a whole level of them.

Level design is unbelievable, though. After I'm ready to exit the level I inevitably go back and wander around, every time.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Twobirds posted:

Level design is unbelievable, though. After I'm ready to exit the level I inevitably go back and wander around, every time.

For sure. Gameplay aside, "Arcane Expanse" and "The Void" chapters--their aesthetics, their music, their general design, etc.--are just fantastic and compelling levels. I don't remember 90% of the games I play a year after I play them, but I definitely remember those two areas.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Arcane Expanse was my favourite but The Void was notable to me because it's one of the only times I thought that sort of ethereal, trans-dimensional type of level was actually fun to play.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I hated the void the first time but when I replayed it I only moderately disliked it. But yeah, the level design was tops although god I was sick of the platforms in the machine world. All the NB games have good level and weapon design I feel. Probably enemy too.

I can't wait for fallen aces. I have like 5 hours in the demo alone lol. I can hammer out a playthrough in 10 minutes or probably quicker. I wish there was a shotgun though

e: I can understand not wanting to mix it up too much for fans of the base game but as much as I loved the weapons I would love to have seen a brand new arsenal for black labyrinth

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 2, 2023

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Arcane Exapanse was quite good. Im also hoping black library has a completely new weapon set but will buy it regardless.

One more Witchaven thing, and its something Im surprised Civvie didn't mention, there are on occasion doors in the game which open or shut based on you approaching or leaving them. They have a horrid track record of moving to the shut position as you approach and opening as you walk away. This is solved by shimmying around the trigger point until it breaks backwards and it opens while you approach and shuts when you leave.

The steam version with patch of Witchaven by the way fixes arrows and they will hit and poison you now, but so far there is nothing as absolutely brutal as Witchaven 2's arrow cyclones that instantly kill you that guard required things.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
My favorite part of arcane expanse was the mages who telegraphed their attacks with an eclipse. Just a cool and thematically appropriate way to let you know when to move.

Also I just played Cultic for the first time in over four months. Took me 27 minutes for the first level :cool: as I had to relearn absolutely everything. I was averaging under 90 minutes beating the game with full parts last I played :negative:

e: wait, no I beat it a little while ago. I haven't played it on steam in four months. Wonder why I suck so much then

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 3, 2023

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Twobirds posted:

I was loving Amid Evil but the enemies in the Arcane Expanse kind of got on my nerves (the low level enemies have too much health and the high level enemies don't have enough)

Which ones? The wizard guys that like to dodge roll? The insect and snake bois? What are you shooting them with? AE has a bad problem with overloading you with orange and purple mana, and E6 in particular hands out Aeternum ammo like it's candy. Are you landing the Voltride's overkill effect reliably?

I think the only enemy in Arcane Expanse I'd call egregiously beefy are the mace guys on horseback, I hate those guys.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Does e6 really mean anything since you can play them out of order? I assume you still mean the arcane expanse. Also the voltride sucks and I'd rather water staff enemies. The dps is slightly lower but your shots'll all land. The chain lightning is cool but seems temperamental and never procs when I need or want it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah, E6 is Arcane Expanse. I still think of them as going in the order they were released during EA. I really shouldn't expect newer players to know what that is.

The Voltride is probably my least favourite weapon because of how accurate you need to be with it (in a game where everything is zooming around at a hundred miles an hour), but if you can be that accurate then it'll kill things faster than anything short of the Aeternum. And the chain lightning takes all of that up to eleven. It'll proc 100% of the time if you hold down fire and land every shot during the death animation, but if you gently caress up at all then you've wasted a bunch of ammo to no effect.

I bring it up because the insects in Arcane Expanse are basically the perfect use case for it? They come in large groups, have moderately low HP (so you don't need to spend too long trained on any particular one to get the effect), and they're relatively slow moving and don't try to juke about the place.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Milo and POTUS posted:

My favorite part of arcane expanse was the mages who telegraphed their attacks with an eclipse. Just a cool and thematically appropriate way to let you know when to move.

Also I just played Cultic for the first time in over four months. Took me 27 minutes for the first level :cool: as I had to relearn absolutely everything. I was averaging under 90 minutes beating the game with full parts last I played :negative:

e: wait, no I beat it a little while ago. I haven't played it on steam in four months. Wonder why I suck so much then

i just started a playthrough of cultic on extreme today and i'm excited at how deadly everything is but also how manageable a lot of it feels given the tools at my disposal

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Cultic is very generous with explosives. Chucking some TNT is always a good opening gambit.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I beat it on extreme for the achievement and honestly after playing ultrakill it probably wouldn't be that hard. However, I think Hard hits the sweet spot in allowing you to get really crazy and have the game retain some level of difficulty. Very hard isn't bad either

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
1. Yeah it can be really frustrating to see a million subscriber youtuber make a video claiming something like "Doom + HL = Halo" leading to making a video like this

2. The Apple Extended Keyboard really was the best keyboard ever made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RNXcnGHE4Y

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Which ones? The wizard guys that like to dodge roll? The insect and snake bois? What are you shooting them with? AE has a bad problem with overloading you with orange and purple mana, and E6 in particular hands out Aeternum ammo like it's candy. Are you landing the Voltride's overkill effect reliably?

I think the only enemy in Arcane Expanse I'd call egregiously beefy are the mace guys on horseback, I hate those guys.

You're right, I forgot about the snakes and antlions, which I didn't have many issues with. I was thinking of the non-flying mages, and I usually defaulted to using the Claw since I always had a lot of orange mana. I've gotten good at using Voltride overcharge but those guys tended to escape it before the chain lightning procs (which I used constantly in the Solar Solstice). The flying mages almost always went down quick, fighting them always felt like a letdown, particularly when they spookily rose from pits or descended from the sky.

I wish the mounted guys did something other than charge you, my only solution was just to nuke them ASAP. I'd say about a quarter of the time my Aeternum shots don't hit anything. Am I not using it right or something? Should I just fire it more? I keep treating it like a BFG which probably doesn't help.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

If I was being rushed I always just aimed it down at the floor with unobstructed sightlines to as many enemies as possible. If it (or they) round a corner it won't hit. It's a cool weapon though finicky. I also think it has a maximum number of targets

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

There's a max number of targets and I'm fairly certain there's a max distance they can be from the ball- that can be a problem sometimes in big open areas. So yeah, floor is good, if the ceiling's low that tends to work wonders, a wall can work, and if there's nothing solid to hit you want to fire it just over their heads and from a fair distance away.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Finished Witchaven. Level design in Witchaven 1 is consistently better than Witchaven 2, with many levels getting firmly into the "pretty ok" range, but seriously, making you find the pentagram and the exit is absurd and just wrecks both these games. Usually the pentagram is in a place of prominenance, but in level 24 its put behind a staircase that is otherwise unintersting and unadorned, so thanks designer of 24. Its also way more consistent in its difficulty than Witchaven 2 as every single level is chockful of health potions except the final one which is obviously intentional as the exit room of Level 24 has a full heal + armor and a cache of potions to restock in case you were low. No weird multi level stretch of "eh, who needs health packs anyway".

I have to say, the final level is actually fairly fun and the only time the game actually throws enough enemies at you to pose an actual issue, and your difficulty controlling yourself and attacking, limited room clearing abilities, and dependency on boost items with a massive horde and final boss who can do things makes it probably the most fun boss stage of any of the Build games. I cannot believe I'm typing this.

Random thoughts:
  • The dragon enemy is used exactly three times in the game. Once in level...9?11? somewhere in the first half of the games 25 levels. The remaining two times are both in level 24. Like I was in the penultimate level wondering, hey did they really only use that dragon once and then BAM! Then right when I thought, wow that was hilarious BAM AGAIN.
  • I had to use the door open skill 3 times in 25 levels versus around 6 times in Witchaven 2's 15 levels. However, I only found a total of 7 casts of door open in Witchaven 1 versus like, 40 casts in Witchaven 2, and part of the reason I needed less is I got used to their idiotic decision to not allow switches to be reuseable
  • Level 17 is a massive, sprawling room with movement slowing water over a massive, sprawling room over movement slowing lava. Its not a hard level, but it is aggressively tedious in a way no other build game is going to be able to match
  • Keys are just so randomly useful or useless. So many stages I would stumble upon the pentagram then the exit and have keys in my inventory.
  • There is a room in level 18 that I do not believe you can escape from without the flight spell. This is fine, sort of, since they put two in the room with you, but you need to be level 3 to use that spell so I'm not sure this level can actually be dagger started
  • At least 4 levels require you to walk through invisible walls to find keys/pentegrams/paths to progression
  • I don't think the game needs two different "overheal you beyond max health and fill your armor to max" but it does

Barudak fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 3, 2023

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

When Civvie said he played TNT Evilution for a month, he meant it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY-me5oGyEM

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I thought TNT Evolution was *fine* and definitely less of a chore than Plutonia.

I was also playing it with Final Doomer+ and enjoyed that weaponset. I hope more versions of that mod come out so I can finally play Eviternity...

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

tnt is frickin trash top to bottom. just dogshit. can't wait to watch every day of civvie playing it

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I never had that much of a problem with TNT. I think if it had come out as a megawad like it was originally going to, it would go down in history as basically fine.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mordja posted:

I thought TNT Evolution was *fine* and definitely less of a chore than Plutonia.

I was also playing it with Final Doomer+ and enjoyed that weaponset. I hope more versions of that mod come out so I can finally play Eviternity...

Same. I don't think it has particularly high highs, but I never thought its lows were too bad.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I think TNT & Plutonia were probably the first big add-ons I played, and I remember liking them. But I mean, the core gameplay is so good that it's hard to truly mess up, I guess.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I liked TNT & Plutonia as well, but I'm assuming that is because I played them on Final Doom for the PSX so like half of the total levels had been stripped out for space reasons or something.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I didn't mind Evilution at first, but if I remember correctly things really fell off the further you got into it. The last level or two where so rudimentary that calling them "phoned-in" could be praise.

Also I'm not sure but was there an Egypt/pharaoh themed level? I might be confusing it with a Duke3d level, since that sounds too outlandish to me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Serephina posted:

I didn't mind Evilution at first, but if I remember correctly things really fell off the further you got into it. The last level or two where so rudimentary that calling them "phoned-in" could be praise.

Also I'm not sure but was there an Egypt/pharaoh themed level? I might be confusing it with a Duke3d level, since that sounds too outlandish to me.

The first secret level, Pharaoh. It's broken and can't be completed without a patch as originally shipped (or using a trick if you know it's broken), just in case that's stuck in your memory. There's a long history of Egypt-themed Doom levels starting with Pharaoh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

did they patch a bunch of stuff in cultic? You used to be able to crawl over the debris blocking the exit in the crypts and I'll be damned if I can figure out how anymore. Also ammo seems more plentiful, especially for the rifle and I don't remember cultists harassing you when you fought the tank.