Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

I AM GRANDO posted:

My pro controller has stick drift and I’m too intimidated to try the DIY repair instructions that are out there.
FWIW, my Pro controller started to get drift too. I went through with it and it was pretty easy. That was the first handheld I’ve ever opened up.

My intimidation comes trying to replace the battery in the actual Switch. I’m not going to touch that. I’ll just buy an OLED if it gets too bad.

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
I hope mario jumps to break a block but it doenst break and then a bump grows on his head and pushes his hat up and then those fuckin bird fish spin around his head while he’s crosseyed that would be so fuckin funny. mario movie is the best

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I AM GRANDO posted:

My pro controller has stick drift and I’m too intimidated to try the DIY repair instructions that are out there. Is this a good replacement controller?

https://nyxigaming.com/products/nyxi-wizard-wirleless-joy-pad-for-switch-switch-oled

Do they have one of these with the hall effect sticks but with a normal good controller configuration?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Do they have one of these with the hall effect sticks but with a normal good controller configuration?

They don’t. That one’s it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
8bitdo ultimate has hall effect and standard layout

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B9BGJVLL

This thing. I have one, it's amazing.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The 8BitDo Ultimate has offset analog sticks, so no.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I AM GRANDO posted:

My pro controller has stick drift and I’m too intimidated to try the DIY repair instructions that are out there. Is this a good replacement controller?

https://nyxigaming.com/products/nyxi-wizard-wirleless-joy-pad-for-switch-switch-oled

does this thing rumble?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It claims to have gyro and rumble. They also make a more standard style controller.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

The Postman posted:

that's right. the children's movie is like a nice steak that is going to be ruined with references to the children's games

references to old mario games are for 30-45 year olds, not children.

as with anything involving IP stuff it grates on me when every other scene has a winky reference to something. things can be both explicitly for kids and fundamentally well made and I hope that's what they've done.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Commander Keene posted:

The 8BitDo Ultimate has offset analog sticks, so no.

Huh?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

That was me shitposting about how I am not personally fond of the Xbox-style stick layout the Ultimate uses.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Wii U pro had the best layout, it’s scientifically proven

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I certainly liked it better than the layout of the official Switch Pro controller, I bought one of those Mayflash adapters to use it on my Switch.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Super-NintendoUser posted:

Every review says "it's just so stuff full of easter eggs, you'll tear up!" Yes, thanks I like my movie to remind of other things that I enjoy that are not part of the movie. I really like it when I'm eating a nice steak, and the chef sneaks a twizzler into the potatoes and a slice of turkey is hidden at the bottom of my wine glass because I can be like "hey! I know what this is, I like this thing, and I like how the thing I actually wanted to each just includes another thing thanks!"

In this case isn't it more like you're eating a steak and the chef includes lots of things that are associated with steak? Like, this is the Mario movie. I don't know why you would be upset that it references Mario. What else would it do?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the "easter eggs" are almost certainly stuff like "there's a shop with a yoshi coin in it". mario isn't a series capable of references much deeper than that, esp in a movie that's explicitly a marketing venture above all else.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If the reviews you are seeing for any film all just say there's so many Easter eggs and references, that isn't any reflection of the movie, that's a reflection the reviewer you're seeing has no other frame of reference or language through which to view movies.

If you sent them back in time to 1989 to review Batman they'd write about how many references to the comic and Easter eggs and teasers (like Harvey dent!) there were. That's just the only way their brain works.

You look at any frame of the Mario movie and if you have a mindset of looking for Easter eggs literally everything in the frame is going to look like that to you, because it is set in a world where all that stuff will and should appear.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 3, 2023

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
mario

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Gaspy Conana posted:

as with anything involving IP stuff it grates on me when every other scene has a winky reference to something. things can be both explicitly for kids and fundamentally well made and I hope that's what they've done.

exactly. kids wouldn't understand "mario" like you do.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Motto posted:

the "easter eggs" are almost certainly stuff like "there's a shop with a yoshi coin in it". mario isn't a series capable of references much deeper than that, esp in a movie that's explicitly a marketing venture above all else.

Yeah, like, that's what I would expect a Mario movie to be

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You won't believe what drains Mario's warp pipe in the new movie!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Gaspy Conana posted:

This Mario movie has Mario stuff in it!?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
having raised a kid myself, and knowing a bunch of dorky nieces and nephews, I cant imagine an Illumination cartoon being much of anything beyond "eh, it was fine 🤷🏻" especially if it doesnt have the benefit of Despicable Me Deep Lore 👀

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

For half a second, Bowser's going to imagine Peach's crown on his head and the internet will lose it's poo poo all over again.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

*whispering to the kid next to me*

"the magic whistle from smb3 is actually the recorder from zelda 1 and if you have a keen ear you'll notice they play the same tune"

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

If the reviews you are seeing for any film all just say there's so many Easter eggs and references, that isn't any reflection of the movie, that's a reflection the reviewer you're seeing has no other frame of reference or language through which to view movies.

If you sent them back in time to 1989 to review Batman they'd write about how many references to the comic and Easter eggs and teasers (like Harvey dent!) there were. That's just the only way their brain works.

You look at any frame of the Mario movie and if you have a mindset of looking for Easter eggs literally everything in the frame is going to look like that to you, because it is set in a world where all that stuff will and should appear.

Yeah this, the easter egg stuff is incredibly powerful clickbait for a lot of people and rises to the top.

I just watched a trailer for something this morning and it ends and Youtube goes to its recommendation screen and all of a sudden it's a grid of 'Does X DIE???? (Shocked face emoji)' and '54 easter eggs you missed'. It's a loving two minute trailer, no-one is cutting it to put 54 easter eggs in it. That's brainworms poo poo.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Pirate Captain posted:

I hope mario jumps to break a block but it doenst break and then a bump grows on his head and pushes his hat up and then those fuckin bird fish spin around his head while he’s crosseyed that would be so fuckin funny. mario movie is the best

You mean Who Framed Roger Rabbit starring Bob "Mario Mario" Hoskins?

Watched it recently; it still holds up. It might've even improved due to lack of meaningful competition.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Literally the best movie of the 80s tied with masters of the universe and big trouble in little China

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Red Warrior posted:

Yeah this, the easter egg stuff is incredibly powerful clickbait for a lot of people and rises to the top.

I just watched a trailer for something this morning and it ends and Youtube goes to its recommendation screen and all of a sudden it's a grid of 'Does X DIE???? (Shocked face emoji)' and '54 easter eggs you missed'. It's a loving two minute trailer, no-one is cutting it to put 54 easter eggs in it. That's brainworms poo poo.

hey its a tough economy and sometimes you gotta take the Illumination money and make those kinds of videos to pay rent

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Red Warrior posted:

In the realm of brainworms clickbait the meaning of 'easter egg' has devolved so much I've seen it used to refer to simple cinematic foreshadowing of events within the same movie.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
What I'm taking away from this thread is that there's an eccentric billionaire who will pay huge amounts of money to YouTubers to comb over trailers for children's films finding the slightest clues for them to speculate over.

This post is in the spirit of jest.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Tiny Timbs posted:

This Mario movie has Mario stuff in it!?

Well, that puts it ahead of the licensed Michael Bay movies

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Licensed Michael Bay movies don't have Mario stuff in them!?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Licensed Michael Bay movies don't have Mario stuff in them!?

I'm saying Michael Bay's licensed movies have very little of their titular characters

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I hope at some point in the movie that Mario will teach typing.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

Morpheus posted:

I hope at some point in the movie that Mario will go missing

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I AM GRANDO posted:

I have this and it's quite nice. If you haven't used a GC controller in a while, it'll feel weird for a bit but I like it a lot.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I asked my friend if he wanted to watch the Mario movie with some other people and he very solemnly said that he didn't want to be disappointed by a movie again.

What does that mean?? Big movie releases almost always suck poo poo if you take them seriously lol I guess some people are actually invested? To me it's an excuse to get together with people and look at something cool but stupid on the screen. Graphics look pretty great on this one and charlie day as Luigi sounds like a fun time

Anyways I can't help but wonder what exactly my friend was hoping/expecting out of super Mario video film

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol "I don't want to have a fun time with my friends because I compulsively expect everything I see to be amazing and anything that's not just wears me down"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Driving home in silence because the Mario movie didn't have a deep thought provoking story and the world has let me down once again