Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Junpei posted:

JESUS.

Poor Neon... god, Beroba is so evil.

This is the sort of plot beat that should lead into her getting a powerup the next time she gets a focus ep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Yeah, Beroba is a massive piece of poo poo, which is great. I'm also glad that there's something really weird going on with Neon's backstory, it helps make Ace's nonsense a little less outlandish if he's not the only one that's got this kind of nonsense going on.

Ace's reaction to the news was also executed very well, but I almost wish he just didn't say anything at all.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
About 6 and a half minutes in an Rita has adorable gap moe.

Also the three Legendary ShuGods seem to be, from left to right: the Hercules Beetle, I assume some kind of Spider (the "legs" might be wings instead though), and Scorpion. The Grasshopper also on it is weird, though I assume it's related to the Spider in the middle

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I gotta wonder though: Why did her dad wish for a daughter with a new name instead of just making it so that Akari never died in the first place?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I think the dialogue suggests dad didn't actually like Akari that much

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Somebody said Yuzuki is every time they've been photographed with their friends and lord, do I feel that in my bones.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Enjoying King Ohger so far. The character dynamics are interesting and I was expecting the twist, just not this early. Also, side note, I'm glad Rita shoved Yanma's assistant guy to the side because his voice is painfully grating and he is by far the most annoying character of the past three years of Sentai, possibly longer.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Caphi posted:

We all had theories on what Rita's under the mask would be but I definitely didn't have so tired, just loving exhausted, I want to go home already on the list. Absolutely incredible.

I just want to second this and say that Rita's the absolute best and I hope they can be just as cool and rest a bit, that's a lot to shoulder alone in the episodes to come.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Blaze Dragon posted:

I just want to second this and say that Rita's the absolute best and I hope they can be just as cool and rest a bit, that's a lot to shoulder alone in the episodes to come.

The thing is, within the show's context, it'd be easy to just go "if you have a good heart, follow it and everything will be good." That's how Gira and Yanma run things. But Rita's rules aren't self-denial or being uptight, they're principles - it's just hard. They acknowledge that they have a stressful job and sometimes they gotta lie down and vent to their yeti so they can get back to doing it because it needs to be done right.

also, my bingo board had "Gira is of the lost royal bloodline and Racles comes from usurpers." Finding out they're both of the same family, and even grew up together, is a bit of a game changer and makes me want to watch their confrontation in the first episode again. Did either of them know? Did they know the other knew? Why not if not? Does that actually scan? (It does put God Kabuto obeying Gira and not Racles back on the side of worthiness and not bloodline, so I can't complain too much...)

Neon: once we get the foregone "Neon is Neon and deserves love wherever she came from" out of the way, the most interesting part of this is... well, her dad. Is she his "ideal" daughter? If so, this what he thought he meant by ideal daughter? Most importantly, are we going to end up at some kind of "you are my ideal daughter no matter what because I love you" line? (I hope so!)

Caphi fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 3, 2023

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm pretty sure if you went to look up "Gap moe" in the dictionary, you'd find a picture of Rita there.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Caphi posted:

Neon: once we get the foregone "Neon is Neon and deserves love wherever she came from" out of the way, the most interesting part of this is... well, her dad. Is she his "ideal" daughter? If so, this what he thought he meant by ideal daughter? Most importantly, are we going to end up at some kind of "you are my ideal daughter no matter what because I love you" line? (I hope so!)

I'm also really interested to see how this recontextualizes Neon's relationships with her family. Her mother's behavior makes a lot more sense even without Akari dying, but especially with that additional context. Plus, her bodyguards are very likely to know what her deal is, so that could be interesting too. There's a lot of really interesting stuff that can come from this revelation once they get the basic stuff out of the way, I agree.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Unrelated, but what do people think of the four character themes sung by the actors of Geats, Tycoon, Naago and Buffa

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Junpei posted:

Unrelated, but what do people think of the four character themes sung by the actors of Geats, Tycoon, Naago and Buffa

i think they're all pretty good, but i tend to gravitate toward's Tycoon's for being catchy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ok, Rita is officially my favorite member of the team thus far.

Also while I saw Gira being a prince coming I’m glad they decided to rip off that particular bandaid nice and early at least

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 4, 2023

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
full version of the Kingohger OP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT_F7IrWjRc

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I was gonna give it a day to post it here in case someone beat me to it, but since there's at least some overlap:

https://twitter.com/BIGONE_tokyo/status/1643063586644983808

Live-action Getter Robo short being crowdfunded by Junya Okabe (former VP of Tsuburaya, now has his own studio). Could be something to keep an eye on, maybe.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
King On-ger 04 & 05
I really need to memorize the names, other than Gira, I'm just designating everyone by their colors.

miss old rollcalls where they say their full name every episode.

omg, Rita is amazing.

ep04

Blue at first was shown to have a crush on Yellow, but here in this episode, they're constantly bickering.

the food country guy's acting is so over the top, can't tell when he's scheming or when he's sincere. At least its better than Gira's annoying attempt with his playacting as tyrant.

ep05
Ice Country is pretty cool.
I loving died when Rita started 'talking' with her stuffed animal after locking the door. Amazing.

So obviously future conflict is how everyone is used to being the leader, so that's going to take a lot of episode time. And at the end here, they all just went back to their own country.

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

GateOfD posted:

King On-ger 04 & 05
I really need to memorize the names, other than Gira, I'm just designating everyone by their colors.

miss old rollcalls where they say their full name every episode.

omg, Rita is amazing.

ep04

Blue at first was shown to have a crush on Yellow, but here in this episode, they're constantly bickering.

pretty sure Yanma, who's the blue who's name i remember due to being the exact same as a pokemon -and it's shiny colouration. i'm pretty sure had his crush on her die when Himeno (yellow) blew up that house.

also you're right Rita Is amazing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 5, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think that scan was confirmed to be fake.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I think that scan was confirmed to be fake.

It is? First I’ve heard of it, can anyone confirm or deny this?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

OT Discord says it's edited from Taiga scans, and the image quality varies between the images too much.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

OT Discord says it's edited from Taiga scans, and the image quality varies between the images too much.

Ah too bad, removed then (I wouldn’t be surprised if we start getting some legitimate information before too much longer though)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Did Punkjack's actor get his bouquet yet or not?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

One of my favorite soft vinyl toy sculptors has been having fun with ai image crap for a few months ago and he just posted this 'fake Showa toku heroes' images and it would be perfect for avatars.

https://twitter.com/picopicoshimbun/status/1644046914818830336?s=20

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
Tag yourself, I'm incredibly angry Red Baron

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Gave in and watched the 20min Shin preview. Don't really feel bad about it since the entirety of it is a sendup to the first ep of 1971 in around the same runtime.

It's really cool and sold me on this version of Hongo where I previously wasn't sure what they were going for. It's neat that they're really going in on the aspect of him being a loner who's deeply uncomfortable with what he's become. Very fast paced tho and if I have any worry it's too much runtime getting spent on very one-note kaijin, though based on the three character relationship trailers they did there's at least one who has something going on with Yuriko.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/MrCooper92/status/1644342574725906437?t=6e3Q8I1Bfjzp9mjzAtpS5g&s=19

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:f5:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So how’s the Ultraman Z dub out of curiosity?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It's charming! I think I need to get used to the idea of watching live-action dubs.

It's funny that the dialogue is conspicuously better whenever the speaker doesn't have lip-flaps. Z and Haruki are well-characterized and written, Yoko is cool so far, and Sean Schemmel makes a surprise appearance as Zero.

Not sold on how "Captain Hebikura" is being portrayed, but that could change as more of that character is revealed. The scientist lady is also a little more exaggerated than the rest of the cast, so we'll see how that shakes out.

Overall, production values are high. They're taking this seriously and the effort shows. It'll be a great way to introduce kids to Ultraman.

https://twitter.com/Klenda_V/status/1644740299858518017?t=jnQ1I949ZNGGaGvtdigrZQ&s=19

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Think they did a good job with the translations.. Zett switches back and forth between speaking with contractions and not, which is exactly what you'd expect from an alien that's been to ESL classes

At least the dubs have emotion, though I agree Yuki's voice is a wee bit over the top. Nothing bad about the actors especially for the first episode where everyone is just getting established.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/TokuNation/status/1643595323116273664?t=0Ki2yWmZCct5-5DwuEg-lw&s=19

Eldsluft
Dec 22, 2021

"Ingenio stat sine morte decus."
Geats 30:
Neon's dad was the worst. He couldn't get over with Akari's death and wished for the "ideal daughter" Neon solely to have her married to someone from the future (for the profits of Kurama Group).
I loved the scene where Kyuun reads his papers to Neon and then decided to tear it up and speak directly to her in the end.
Neon's identity crisis was not completely resolved yet. There would probably be another one or two Neon-centric episodes later.

The scene where Daichi realized the final match was a draw and threw the prison key to Keiwa was funny.

The whereabouts of Mitsume was not surprising at all... nor was Michinaga's true motive. At least we got to know the name of the probable final boss (Sueru).

btw (also Geats ep 30 spoilers):

https://twitter.com/TomConstantines/status/1644864830875238402

Eldsluft fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 9, 2023

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Glad to hear the Ultraman Z dub is good. I hope people decide to get into that show because of it, Ultraman Z kicks rear end.

I saw a clip from the trailer, and it definitely had toku vibes. It's cool that it was intentional.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Eldsluft posted:

Geats 30:
Neon's dad was the worst.

That is a BOLD statement for Kamen Rider.

Eldsluft
Dec 22, 2021

"Ingenio stat sine morte decus."

Craptacular! posted:

That is a BOLD statement for Kamen Rider.

My bad, my bad.
But he surely is horrible compared to most geats characters (though not as horrible as Beroba).

Some other thoughts on Geats ep 30 (and incoming ep.31):
Sara is seen again in previews of ep. 31 (where she seems to be bad at cooking as usual :3). Hopefully she can survive this "Heaven or Hell" game too. (Though it read more like a random killing terrorism than some actual "game" with rules now. Since the current GM is Michinaga...really? you planned this?)

Ace and Keiwa's reaction to Neon saying "there's no place I can return to" in the last part of ep. 30 is interesting.

Also Rejoice! It's the first time Boost Buckle didn't attempt to hit Keiwa before flying away.

Eldsluft fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 9, 2023

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
This has been something I've been thinking about ever since the future people reveal: why aren't they concerned about the butterfly effect of the wishes/DGP influencing the future?

Unless the reason they're doing this is because they know that the DGP already happened because it was all in the past and it's all one timeline and okay my head's starting to hurt now.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Junpei posted:

This has been something I've been thinking about ever since the future people reveal: why aren't they concerned about the butterfly effect of the wishes/DGP influencing the future?

Unless the reason they're doing this is because they know that the DGP already happened because it was all in the past and it's all one timeline and okay my head's starting to hurt now.

They have a thing that can literally rewrite reality that is so easy for them they use it to film Reality TV. That is the entire conceit of the DGP. They can just say "Our time period stays like it is" and that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They refer to the changes of the DGP wishes as creating new worlds.

The organizers are just from a different world.