Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Waiting for the technician to weld a new lever was magical. That task was firing on all cylinders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

eke out posted:

i think "no misgendering" is a basic condition of everyone's participation but this is british TV so perhaps I should not speak too quickly

The British comedy and entertainment scene seems to be far more progressive than their journos and politicians and is probably a big reason why someone like Glinner is 100% persona non grata there and someone like Jeremy Clarkson has an oped in the Time or something about how the people who hate trans people are basically doing the same stuff that was done to gay and lesbian people and that they should try and take a step back.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Kiell and Mae are I believe quite close friends too, so it'll be interesting if that dynamic comes out at all

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

as an american i dont watch a lot of british television. i only know this guy from Ghosts, which also is generally a show with a high concentration of taskmaster alumni

Recommend Stath Lets Flats, great show he’s really funny in as the constantly annoyed straight man

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I can't wait to see the series 15 teams. There's a lot of potential in every combo.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
A really enjoyable start to the season, I thought. Simple but great live task (rewatched it frame by frame to enjoy the unfolding expressions). The contestants' reactions to the string one were fantastic. And I echo the amazement that the narrowboat task made it to reality, even if it did sound very sturdy when Jenny rammed the wall. I'm intrigued to see what other tasks they do on that location.

Of the cast that I 'know', they seem to be reacting exactly as expected, especially Ivo being the flustered disaster magnet. I haven't encountered Kiell before, but he comes across as the rare mix of confident and effective without being too blandly competent. Plus his ability to improvise songs mid-task.

Xelkelvos posted:

The British comedy and entertainment scene seems to be far more progressive than their journos and politicians...

For all the (deserved) Terf Island cracks, those sort of lovely opinions are overwhelmingly overconcentrated in our journalist/media class. Which means the subject gets an entirely unwarranted prominence as people in the media talk about it, politicians react to it and the journos talk about the politicians reacting to it.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Undead Hippo posted:

Richard Herring very publicly and repeatedly asked to be on Taskmaster when he interviewed Greg and Alex for his podcast so I don't think this is really a thing.

It's almost certainly a rumour they started to stem the tide of little known comics clamouring for a spot.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Just rewatched The Truman Show and exclaimed "Brace, brace!" at one moment very near the end - another Taskmaster moment imprinted forever there. Quite a weird choice for the very first task, the audience in the studio didn't seem to go for it.

Down under, hast off to Julia Morris, who has an unusual combinator of low energy but high commitment - and the latter was in full effect twice this week. Just full on stalking, and the bucket...

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I was wondering how they could ever top Fern's "WHAAAAAHT!?" but

quote:

"Brace, brace"
(timidly) "I'm bracing"
BANG!

is a good one lol

(but lets be honest, nothing will ever top Fern)

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

I do as well, but to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if it had been made a condition of their participation. Not to say Greg and Alex likely wouldn't have regardless, but it's probably something Mae's agent deals with ahead of time given the industry.

Well, according to wikipedia:

quote:

Martin uses they/them and she/her pronouns, saying, "I love it when people say 'they' but I don't mind 'she' at ALL."[44]

But as others have said, “no misgendering” seems like an obvious baseline when signing up for a project

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Loved that first ep! It's a good sign when every single contestant seems up for it. I think this season will be a good one.

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

Appreciated the sabotage in the very first live task of the season. Hopefully there's plenty more of that.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Extremely good first episode, the barge task seemed insane that they were allowed to do that. Was a bit worried because I wasn't too familiar with any of them except the guy who stars in the show ghosts but they all seem very funny and very well suited for this program!

Looking forward to the rest of the season!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Didn’t think the latest AU live task worked, again. Like I’m sure they sound like good ideas when they pitch them but not very watchable.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

smackfu posted:

Didn’t think the latest AU live task worked, again. Like I’m sure they sound like good ideas when they pitch them but not very watchable.

It was basically a twist on the UK studio task where Greg had to guess who was standing on one leg. It's not the most spectacular thing, but it's perfectly watchable, imo.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

“Is this person standing on the edges of the trampoline or on the step?”

Maybe I just don’t like most live tasks much.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The best task of that AU ep was the photo one.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Brutakas posted:

I can't wait to see the series 15 teams. There's a lot of potential in every combo.

The one thing I don't want is Frankie/Jenny vs the others. I think we've seen enough of the 'low-energy old folk against the youths' dynamic.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Ivo Q&A video on the taskmaster channel mentioned that Frankie was Ivo's teammate.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I could quite easily see Frankie being a tiresome prick in the team tasks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

stev posted:

I could quite easily see Frankie being a tiresome prick in the team tasks.

We'll see just how far Ivo's politeness will go.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

MikeJF posted:

The Ivo Q&A video on the taskmaster channel mentioned that Frankie was Ivo's teammate.

Excellent. I'm hoping for a spiritual successor to Rhod and James.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Can't possibly be worse than Joe Wilkinson.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

The British comedy and entertainment scene seems to be far more progressive than their journos and politicians

Well, Greg Davies is, not so sure about Alex Horne who once confided that women has gotten a bit "chopsy of late"-

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Alex didn't know what chopsy even meant though. I think he just parrots to Greg whatever stuff he heard on the street that day. Like how he buys his groceries by copying other people's receipts. Or how he always just eats whatever a co-worker is eating.

One of these things is even real.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
so the perfect way to do the bucket task is to put one item in buckets 1 and 14 and then just nest the buckets? in ascending order?

Vrih
Apr 4, 2004
:)

PhazonLink posted:

so the perfect way to do the bucket task is to put one item in buckets 1 and 14 and then just nest the buckets? in ascending order?

I think the task was worded that each bucket had to have different items in it, otherwise Luke could have just gone round complimenting all the buckets.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
got tickets for the next series recordings :whatup: will report in

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
surprised how positive the reaction is for the first episode tbh, I thought it was pretty bad. plenty of time left obviously, but I've been enjoying the Australian series far more than I did that episode

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
drat, I really enjoyed the first ep, it was firing on all cylinders for me. The barge task was amazing, and I think the cast is gelling really quick. Ivo feels like he's setting himself up as a new Ed Gamble, but Kiell is confident and has the ability to back it up. Jenny might be another Jo Brand, but we'll see. I really like Mae's energy and I think they'll do well, and Frankie is there too!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

First task fell a bit flat for me, they really banked on it being funnier without the music because of licensing but it just was a huge "had to be there I guess" moment. But it certainly picked up and what's most important everyone seems to have fun and be very in the spirit of things.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Paperhouse posted:

surprised how positive the reaction is for the first episode tbh, I thought it was pretty bad. plenty of time left obviously, but I've been enjoying the Australian series far more than I did that episode

The energy in the studio felt weird to me. Like someone had a meltdown right before they started recording and everyone's on edge. But maybe it was just whiplash after watching the AU episode.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The dancing task had such a lack of energy, due to the silence, it was never going to be great TV. They should have given them a catalogue of royalty free music to pick as their track.

The barge task was one of those execute-a-specific-assignment-without-options tasks in not usually such a fan of. In this case they got away with it because crashing the barge is funny on its own

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The dances being done without music was part of the comedy.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SirSamVimes posted:

The dances being done without music was part of the comedy.

Yeah, part of the point was to see how silly they'd look without any music. I think it worked for some but not others.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It might have been the intention, but the result for me was just something that was so flat and devoid of energy.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Yeah the dancing task just fell completely flat and was a real drag of an opening to a series. Liking the cast, especially Mae, but I'm looking forward to seeing them in a better episode.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rochallor posted:

a real drag

Speaking of which, Frankie putting on the dress and wig was extremely tedious.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah, it took a long time to get through and every one ends up being basically the same and then it's made especially tedious by the lack of music

felt like a real failure on the production end, shouldn't have let them pick impossible-to-afford music and probably should've been cut or at least put somewhere else in the airing rather than first thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Yeah agreed the dancing just felt kind of boring really, but it picked up nicely from there.