Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

This is weird and I'm wondering if it's a me-thing or something others have observed. I went from an older deathadder to a new g502 x lightspeed, and found that the mouse felt 'slow' at the same DPI. I actually ended up going from the 1600 I was running up to 1800 or 1900, which really surprised me. Am I wrong or shouldn't cursor movement just = DPI x Mouse movement? Is there actually a difference in brands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

there's some variance in how well calibrated the DPI settings are between mice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbzs5IFCoMQ&t=189s

razer slightly under- or over-shoots the target in that test while logitech is dead on the mark

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

repiv posted:

razer slightly under- or over-shoots the target in that test while logitech is dead on the mark

Cool thanks. Guess I'm good from now on because I'll never touch razer again.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

repiv posted:

As long as the mouse isn't randomly changing the dpi, it's fine. It's not clickbait, but it doesn't really matter that much.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 24, 2023

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's also only a significant factor if you're using DPIs that are crippling the performance of your mouse in other ways. It's an interesting video, but his takes from it are terrible. These days, you should be running at least 1600 or 3200 DPI for latency reasons, and scaling your sens down to match. Unlike marginally inaccurate DPI counts, it's something that affects how well you can possibly play rather than just the number you need to set your sens to.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

this is a a very niche request. I mainly couch/bed and need a specific type of mousepad, namely a mousepad that is soft on the top but hard on the bottom. right now I use a normal pad on top of a clipboard which works, but wondering if there is something better, but not bulky like those laptop mousepads.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

halokiller posted:

this is a a very niche request. I mainly couch/bed and need a specific type of mousepad, namely a mousepad that is soft on the top but hard on the bottom. right now I use a normal pad on top of a clipboard which works, but wondering if there is something better, but not bulky like those laptop mousepads.

There are a number of hard mouse pads made in plastic, aluminum, and now glass. I used to just use an aluminum sheet for my mouse pad and it was pretty good. I'm not sure about a mousepad that's thin with both hard on the bottom and soft on the top but in looking around I mostly find something like this, which seems to be a hard bottom with a top mousing surface, but it's pretty thin:
https://steelseries.com/gaming-mousepads/qck-hard

If you think it might work, there's this one which is just polycarbonate:
https://www.amazon.com/Glorious-Elements-Mouse-Pad-15x17/dp/B08G676GN4

Or this which is aluminum:
https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Waterproof-Accurate-Mousepad-Computer/dp/B07X4DRCM8/

You might need to look into what size you want and see what surface you prefer, there's going to be a few options from different companies based on what you pick.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Hyperlynx posted:

Hm. Not a bad idea. Thanks!

I did have in mind having a button on the mouse for toggling sensitivity setting, but now that I think about it I don't really use that all that much...
logitech has a setting called dpi shift where you hold down the mouse button and it changes dpi only while the button is held. much better than a toggle

I think it's really useful to have a button like this for quick movement, faster 180s, higher situational awareness, high sensitivity shenanigans, etc.

IME a button like this to slow sensitivity is really detrimental if you already have a > 20 cm/360 sensitivity you are comfortable with. having a much slower sensitivity for precise aiming is surprisingly only a tiny bit marginally beneficial for most games with huge downside tradeoffs.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I have a wireless Razer Basilisk Ultimate, and I rather like the size of it and the fact that it has my thumb button so I can crouch toggle + a button nearby for ptt and a third for melee. Some of the switches are starting to give out, and it appears that they’ve discontinued it in favour of qi charging based ones

Are there any competitors that are similar? I had the Logitech G502 for a long time, but I’ve really come to love wireless mice for gaming, provided it either has a dock or uses qi compliant charging. I’m mostly concerned with the size and ergonomics of it, and also hopeful it’s less than like $120. I’m also super open to ergonomic alternatives, provided they have handy dandy thumb buttons, since I’m using an ergodox for my kb

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I have a wireless Razer Basilisk Ultimate, and I rather like the size of it and the fact that it has my thumb button so I can crouch toggle + a button nearby for ptt and a third for melee. Some of the switches are starting to give out, and it appears that they’ve discontinued it in favour of qi charging based ones

Are there any competitors that are similar? I had the Logitech G502 for a long time, but I’ve really come to love wireless mice for gaming, provided it either has a dock or uses qi compliant charging. I’m mostly concerned with the size and ergonomics of it, and also hopeful it’s less than like $120. I’m also super open to ergonomic alternatives, provided they have handy dandy thumb buttons, since I’m using an ergodox for my kb

Razer has a Basilisk Ultimate Hyperspeed on sale for $80 on amazon right now:
https://www.amazon.com/Razer-Basilisk-Ultimate-HyperSpeed-Wireless/dp/B08564NLZG

I've got a couple of the wireless lightspeed G502s and I like them, but they're currently $105. I think I paid $90 for new from ebay, I see one new on ebay for $85 but it's ebay and not an authorized retailer so it's a little risky:
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Lightspeed-PowerPlay-Compatible-Lightsync/dp/B07L4BM851/
https://www.ebay.com/itm/314468623298

The G502 lightspeed isn't the new hotness with the optical switches for the main buttons, though, that's the G502 X and that one is still $150+, about the same as the Razer Basilisk V3 Pro which has optical switches as well. As far as I know those are the main mice models with about the same shape. If you want to browse for general mouse shapes there's this tool someone linked a year or two back that has some 3d renders of a lot of mice you can put side by side to get a sense of what the shape is like:
https://www.rtings.com/mouse/tools/3d-model-shape-compare

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rexxed posted:

Razer has a Basilisk Ultimate Hyperspeed on sale for $80 on amazon right now:
https://www.amazon.com/Razer-Basilisk-Ultimate-HyperSpeed-Wireless/dp/B08564NLZG

I've got a couple of the wireless lightspeed G502s and I like them, but they're currently $105. I think I paid $90 for new from ebay, I see one new on ebay for $85 but it's ebay and not an authorized retailer so it's a little risky:
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Lightspeed-PowerPlay-Compatible-Lightsync/dp/B07L4BM851/
https://www.ebay.com/itm/314468623298

The G502 lightspeed isn't the new hotness with the optical switches for the main buttons, though, that's the G502 X and that one is still $150+, about the same as the Razer Basilisk V3 Pro which has optical switches as well. As far as I know those are the main mice models with about the same shape. If you want to browse for general mouse shapes there's this tool someone linked a year or two back that has some 3d renders of a lot of mice you can put side by side to get a sense of what the shape is like:
https://www.rtings.com/mouse/tools/3d-model-shape-compare

Oh drat, nice find!! Amazon says this basilisk is the one I bought two years ago, so fuckit might as well ride it out for two more years and then look into fancy self charging wireless mice when the one I’m about to order dies

Thank you :)

Khorne
May 1, 2002

halokiller posted:

If you use it under any blankets you can get away with a lot of mousepads.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Starting to think I should have bought a two or three hundred dollar mouse tbqh

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Dumb semi-related question: is there anything I can buy to keep my hands warm while using a mouse? I’m thinking like a giant mitten that’s flat at the bottom that can accommodate a palm a mouse and then some. Or something like that.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Dumb semi-related question: is there anything I can buy to keep my hands warm while using a mouse? I’m thinking like a giant mitten that’s flat at the bottom that can accommodate a palm a mouse and then some. Or something like that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vegetable posted:

A pair of winter gloves? Maybe one of those ones with the mitten you can fold back to have free fingers while you get a nice warm palm still.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I use thin knitted fingerless gloves for that purpose sometimes, they help a fair bit

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I think the idea is a big pocket (like a sleeping bag for a hand) with a bottom surface that you can mouse on. I doubt anyone makes such a thing.
You could probably find just a comfy pocket or oversized mitten and use a trackball, or get a rigid mousepad and wrap it in a tiny blanket.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

korean starcraft players would use electric hand warmers before playing

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Vegetable posted:

Something like This have been around for a while now. No idea on the quality or how hot/warm/burning they get, but it does exist.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I used to use one. It wasn't great but it was better than the alternative.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Happiness Commando posted:

I used to use one. It wasn't great but it was better than the alternative.

Was the alternative only using your PC indoors or like what's the use case for this? Are these like workstations on an oil rig in the pacific or the mouse for a CNC lathe in a cold machine shop etc?

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Vegetable posted:

Have you tried a pair of the cheap thin spandex/nylon fingerless compression gloves? Generally they've been more than enough for me to keep my hands warm when needed, and they're thin enough to not interfere with using the mouse/keyboard.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What about a lil space heater on your desk

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Gloves don't keep your hands warm unless your environment is really cold. It's mostly the rest of you. Wear a sweatshirt, maybe a heated sweatshirt. If that can't address the issue either you are mousing outdoors in antarctica or you might have a serious circulation problem and need to see a doctor.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Just put your computer on your desk angled so the case fans are blowing onto your hand, problem solved.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Stop working for Ebenezer Scrooge, people. This is a job seeker’s market

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Diabetes Forecast posted:

since Vertical mice are brought up, I've been trying to find if there's any other ones that have three buttons. I've been using the CADmouse for years but I think my arms are finally getting to the point I can't handle that anymore. The only real downside to this situation is there's basically no ambidextrous options besides that awful Posturite Penguin (which broke before I even got it, and is apparently a common issue.) so I'll have to just deal with not being able to swap hands anymore.

Buy two Logitech Lifts, left handed and right handed :v:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

K8.0 posted:

or you might have a serious circulation problem and need to see a doctor.

The doctor is just gonna tell me to get off the computer. :negative:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Vegetable posted:

I was having cold hands problems after aggravating my wrist RSI a couple of months back. I tried the old fingerless gloves I had from when I was computing in a cold room, there were three pair to try out. The PUGs knitted fingerless gloves with a pull over mitten were okay for warmth, but I didn't personally like having my thumb covered and since they're a little thick it wasn't the best feeling for wearing long term. They don't seem to have a listing any more but they are very similar to these: https://www.amazon.com/OMECHY-Knitted-Fingerless-Insulation-Convertible/dp/B07F9JVN3S/ Might be an option if it's really cold.

Some fingerless work gloves I had from Wells Lamont (can't find them listed anymore) were uncomfortable for sitting and mousing but I think it's mostly because they were a canvas material. They just didn't insulate much. The cheap cloth work gloves I cut the fingers off of 15 years ago were the best solution for me even though they were the most janky. Not super warm but warm enough and they also let me put a USB battery hand warmer on the back of my hand by tucking it in. It wasn't the most comfortable thing but it worked for the few days I had really bad cold hands problems. There are a lot of thinner material fingerless gloves on amazon which might be worth trying. I'd try to get stuff from somewhere it can be returned if it doesn't work for you.

When the inflammation went down my hands went back to normal and not feeling oddly cold, but I still use these hand warmers from time to time.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BF56MPT5

Don't use them past setting 1 if you put them directly on your skin, and even then it's a good idea to have at least one layer of cloth between your skin and the heaters. If your skin gets too dry they can cause a burn, although it's not super likely on the first setting. They work well, though. I think their 10 hour estimate for run time on setting 1 is generous but I've had them go 6-7 hours no problem. I did find the included cable sometimes doesn't work, but they're USB-C charging so that was easy to sort out. There's other models that can let you use the heater as a battery bank as well, but I have a ton of those so I just bought these to be small warmers that didn't cost much. Putting one on the back of your neck wrapped in a bandana or something is really nice if it's cold, too.

I think in the future I'm going to sew a pocket on the back of the gloves for the hand warmers to sit in so I don't have to half rear end it with some velcro stuff, but that's a project for when I get my sewing machine out.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

VelociBacon posted:

Was the alternative only using your PC indoors or like what's the use case for this? Are these like workstations on an oil rig in the pacific or the mouse for a CNC lathe in a cold machine shop etc?
Terribly insulated house that was built in 190-something, computer was in the corner of two exterior walls. That room was never above 55 degrees in the winter no matter what the thermostat was set at

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
There is a heated mousepad called Toasti that works pretty well if you can live with the power button in the upper left

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

K8.0 posted:

Gloves don't keep your hands warm unless your environment is really cold. It's mostly the rest of you. Wear a sweatshirt, maybe a heated sweatshirt. If that can't address the issue either you are mousing outdoors in antarctica or you might have a serious circulation problem and need to see a doctor.

That or stop smoking

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The wheel on my classic Intellimouse at work started to act wonky, would move an increment or two up or down after I'd be done scrolling. Ordered the Pro version. Could I maybe fix the wheel on the other one if I took it apart?

mewse
May 2, 2006

codo27 posted:

The wheel on my classic Intellimouse at work started to act wonky, would move an increment or two up or down after I'd be done scrolling. Ordered the Pro version. Could I maybe fix the wheel on the other one if I took it apart?

If you're lucky it's just dust in the wheel, if you're unlucky the sensor is dying and you need replacement components and soldering skills

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Looking at a teardown of that mouse, it looks like getting access to the wheel will be a PITA. It's built into the top shell somehow.

OTOH there's a potential easy fix for this problem: scroll the wheel like a madman for a few minutes. On a wheel with a rotary encoder, that will kind scrub the contacts a bit and hopefully clean them.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've been using a G502 for over 8 years and I think it's time to switch to wireless. I like the shape but I wish it were lighter and I can’t really reach the DPI shift button with my palm grip. The G502 X line seems to address both concerns along with changing to optical switches.

Has anyone tried the G502 X Lightspeed Wireless for $140 or G502 X Plus for $160? It seems like the main difference is RGB on the Plus? In that case, I might as well just get the regular X when it goes on sale.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 6, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Has anyone tried the G502 X Lightspeed Wireless

I just got this like 2 weeks ago and I'm super in love with it. Very happy.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!
I know this heresy, but trackballs are better than mice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I like my G502x wireless, too. I got the non-RGB one. The additional top buttons overhang your thumb a bit, unlike the wired G502. That's my only real complaint (and that's quite picky).