Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
And there's a 15 minute bonus feature on YouTube about how dynamic the writhing and begging is, and how actual humans were motion captured to emulate the terror a real person would feel inches from death and it's like you spent millions of dollars on this? And Leon's on roller blades when you hit WASD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

it's hosed up the really gross fatalities from the latest MKs have actually given some of the devs psychological trauma from having to make them

not worth it mates

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RE4 remake Auto saves loving constantly. Except when you're in the shooting range and have two out of three s rankings and then switch games because 4-c is bullshit.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
What a cursed monkey paw it is for edgy 13 year-old credburn. One day all my violent video game fantasies will be realized but I won't absolutely love it

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
It's because we like to see violence but we don't like to see suffering.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

CJacobs posted:

Violent deaths in gaming are getting uncomfortable to me now that graphics are approaching photorealism. Not just your character but enemies too. Not an uncanny valley thing, more like a realization that I really just don't want to see body parts flying at that level of detail. If this is where the thriller genre is going with actor face capture then I don't think I'll be playing many more.

I've come to this revelation myself recently, I love comedic over the top violence; and it stops being fun when it gets too real. Like, limbs cartoonishly exploding off of someone in a fountain of cherry soda will never stop being fun to me; or a psychonauts style jar opening pop as brains just fly in and out of ears is always going to make me laugh. But there's a point where poo poo just gets too gruesome and uncomfortable for me to enjoy anymore, but is still presented as the same entertaining spectacle as the former like in modern Mortal Kombat.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vic posted:

It's because we like to see violence but we don't like to see suffering.

That's the key difference for me. Whether it's a game or film I don't care if a hundred mooks get their brains shotgun-blasted onto a wall but if I'm using a knife to carve my name in cursive into some security guard's chest as they scream about their wife's medical bills, it goes from action movie to horror film.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's miles away from realistic gore, but Far Cry 5 brings back the thing from FC2 where you can wing enemies and they get knocked into a prone state (basically exact same way players and ally NPCs do) and cry out for help. But what makes it really not sit great with me is that, best I can tell there is no real revival mechanic for NPCs as such; as long as any other enemy can wander over and merely touch the injured one they'll pop right back up at full health. So the mechanics incentivize executing incapacitated enemies (or going for perfect killshots) because otherwise they'll pop right back up again in about five seconds and need to be killed properly anyway. While playing as a heavily armed cop. It feels weird and bad!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzGqIcBy9sE

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

For me it's that doing violence is fun but hurting people is not. I love violence. If violence didn't hurt people I'd be all about it. The cool thing about video games is you can do violence without hurting people and that's fun as hell. But once it starts to emphasize the deeply unfortunate aspect of real life violence that is people getting hurt by it I'm no longer interested.

I've never even touched a modern Mortal Kombat. That poo poo was sickening to me just watching previews for it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
In The Forest you can chop up bodies of the cannibals you face to get their limbs to, well, eat them or get their bones for crafting. The game is pretty cartoonish in its concept of an island filled to the brim with hooting, psychotic cannibals and multi-limbed monstrosities but when you're hacking up, like, a naked woman (no genitals but still) it gets way too uncomfortable for me.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Morpheus posted:

In The Forest you can chop up bodies of the cannibals you face to get their limbs to, well, eat them or get their bones for crafting. The game is pretty cartoonish in its concept of an island filled to the brim with hooting, psychotic cannibals and multi-limbed monstrosities but when you're hacking up, like, a naked woman (no genitals but still) it gets way too uncomfortable for me.

Something something Dead Island Riptide collector's edition.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

gently caress the lockpicking minigame in Kingdom Come. gently caress it.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Genuinely agreed it's the lingering that really makes it excessive. Enemies in video games don't just fall over and die, they dynamically writhe and plead now. They don't just explode in half or their head comes off, their head comes off in four separate dynamic chunks based on where your bullet impacted. It's just... a thoughtless use of this technology in my opinion. The Dead Space Remake was very guilty of this with its peeling thing but Callisto truly frightened me from time to time with how utterly desensitized it is to human dismemberment. It was like rotten dot com became a walking simulator.
GTA4 had shoot-outs where at the end you'd have a dozen guys left rolling around on the ground rolling in pain, sometimes trying to get up and walk away.
Unless you headshot them, then they didn't do that.

I think this was dropped in 5. You shoot them, they ded.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hotline Miami was notable for its violence being very... violent, despite the simple lo-fi presentation.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Philippe posted:

I'm more upset that there isn't more cum in Kingdom Come. Total false advertising. :colbert:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Philippe posted:

I see the problem - you're supposed to use a lockpick, not your penis.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I knew I was doing something wrong!

Serious though, it's fiddly and annoying and doesn't work. I wish they had just copied the Fallout minigame, because that's the best one.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I don't find video game gore all that believable anyway, so it doesn't at all seem worth it for Naughty Dog and NetherRealm and whoever else to traumatise their artists

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Do any games but Sniper Elite actually let you shoot people in the heart and have that be an instant kill like headshots?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RareAcumen posted:

Do any games but Sniper Elite actually let you shoot people in the heart and have that be an instant kill like headshots?

RDR2 marks the warmth of the human body's various organs at the maximum level of Deadeye and yeah at that rank you can get heart-shots like during animal hunting.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

Soldier of Fortune technically let you do this, but really shooting anyone in any body part was usually a gruesome instakill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq82etLV0a8

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hi-Fi Rush was stylistically one of the coolest games I've laid eyes on in ages but my god was it sensory overload. Maybe it's an ADHD thing I dunno but it feels like the game is yelling at me. It blocks the view of the enemies. Giant opaque colorful indicators all over the screen to let you know things are ready or something's winding up. Sounds that don't match the beat you are trying to keep pace with, as a reward for successfully keeping pace with it. So many lights and sounds and feedback that don't direct me at all toward what I should smack next. I only made it a few stages in before realizing that adding any more complexity to this game would make it kinda unplayable for me. They gave me Peppermint and I was like "oh... but I don't want to have to do that..."

Still, here's kicking the boss in the face with the power of partner attacks because no one can resist such an opportunity.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 09:58 on Apr 3, 2023

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I would recommend cranking it down to Easy and just enjoying the spectacle. The game is so fun and charming that I think even with the combat made perfunctory, there's a lot to enjoy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The spectacle is what's making it unenjoyable. I got mostly A ranks on normal but I wasn't having fun getting them because there's giant particles and stuff in the way of the camera and enemies. I wish it would have just let me enjoy the fighting. Thank you for the suggestion but I think this presentation just isn't what I'm looking for.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 11:24 on Apr 3, 2023

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Croccers posted:

GTA4 had shoot-outs where at the end you'd have a dozen guys left rolling around on the ground rolling in pain, sometimes trying to get up and walk away.
Unless you headshot them, then they didn't do that.

I think this was dropped in 5. You shoot them, they ded.

Yeah, I think you're right.

GTA4 differentiated between unconscious NPCs that can be revived by paramedics and dead enemies that cannot. GTA5 did not. Anyone knocked out in a fist fight or in a vehicular collision was automatically dead and pronounced so by paramedics. I thought that was a step down and don't know why Rockstar would remove that feature from 4 to 5.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Every single sound and visual indicator in Hi-Fi Rush is synced to the beat, and I do mean everything. Chai and enemies will purposely delay their windup to hit on the downbeat, and there's nothing that requires a faster reaction time than an eighth note. If it feels off, then it means you're off.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's funny that with all of the violence of God of War (the new ones) there's really only one move that bothers me and it's the Stun Grab finisher you do on the werewolves. Kratos peels off its lower jaw and takes a strip of neck and chest with it. And it bugs me because it is way too reminiscent of tearing off extra skin when you pull out a hangnail.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Having thankfully got past the point that made me think about this, a question about some terrible game design for you all:

What are some difficulty spikes so bad that they genuinely feel like it was a mistake that it turned out like this?

Nioh's second real boss is apparently an infamous one; at the end of a level full of fairly slow enemies that are clearly trying to help you get the hang of watching for attack patterns and openings early in the game, suddenly it throws an absurdly fast enemy with effective invulnerability phases, status effects on her moves, and space control far beyond anything you've seen. It genuinely feels like she was designed for the 65% mark of the game but just kinda wound up in Extended Tutorial Zone somehow.

Another case I remember, although not well enough to know if it was true or just suspected: The Secret World had a notoriously hard dungeon boss that apparently stemmed from the fact they accidentally gave him the wrong shielding ability. Instead of the version intended for his actual strength (roughly 'just got to max level' difficulty), he was packing a shield intended for his endgame, nightmare-difficulty version, making him absurdly hard to kill.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

The tutorialish section of Stalker: Clear Sky was horrible. It was set in a swamp, and all the water was radioactive, with the only way to offset this being to stay out of the water, lovely guns which made the fauna and bandits really hard to kill, and the end of the section was you vs mini-guns, of which the pro strat was to leave the area, which triggered the guns, and the go back to the swamp and find another way to leave.

Also, speaking of tutorials, the first level of Driver was harder than anything later, except perhaps the last level, and all you had to do was drive around a bit and slalom some pillars.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cleretic posted:

What are some difficulty spikes so bad that they genuinely feel like it was a mistake that it turned out like this?

Indivisible is one that I always think of for this. It's an action rpg where the party and enemies are all simultaneously active during battles, with action timers playing out in real time so you constantly have to be attacking and countering as characters are ready to go. At some point in the game, certain tougher enemies get an attack style that your counter has to basically be frame-perfect for or take major damage, which is tough to pull off with everything going on at the same time. I always struggled with it, but I got pretty good at collecting myself to change strategies to protect and heal up when that happened, so it was ok.

But then, very late game, all of a sudden those attacks start becoming one-hit KOs, and it just became a brick wall for me. Get a couple enemies spamming those, and your party just drops like flies over the course of 20 seconds or so. I tried to keep going and figure out the block, but it was just too brutal for me to deal with and I quit because it wasn't fun any more.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Having thankfully got past the point that made me think about this, a question about some terrible game design for you all:

Nioh's second real boss is apparently an infamous one; at the end of a level full of fairly slow enemies that are clearly trying to help you get the hang of watching for attack patterns and openings early in the game, suddenly it throws an absurdly fast enemy with effective invulnerability phases, status effects on her moves, and space control far beyond anything you've seen. It genuinely feels like she was designed for the 65% mark of the game but just kinda wound up in Extended Tutorial Zone somehow.

Another case I remember, although not well enough to know if it was true or just suspected: The Secret World had a notoriously hard dungeon boss that apparently stemmed from the fact they accidentally gave him the wrong shielding ability. Instead of the version intended for his actual strength (roughly 'just got to max level' difficulty), he was packing a shield intended for his endgame, nightmare-difficulty version, making him absurdly hard to kill.

Nioh 2 continued that tradition with an absolute motherfucker of a boss in the second main mission, a giant old snake demon. You don't have very many tools at that point, if you deal too much damage to the wrong body parts too quickly it will switch into a separate mode that is even more dangerous, and it's got a good old one-hit-kill grapple move as well. Took me an inordinate amount of time to grind it down, and as it turns out just about every single boss I faced afterwards was so much easier it's not even funny.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CJacobs posted:

Genuinely agreed it's the lingering that really makes it excessive. Enemies in video games don't just fall over and die, they dynamically writhe and plead now. They don't just explode in half or their head comes off, their head comes off in four separate dynamic chunks based on where your bullet impacted. It's just... a thoughtless use of this technology in my opinion. The Dead Space Remake was very guilty of this with its peeling thing but Callisto truly frightened me from time to time with how utterly desensitized it is to human dismemberment. It was like rotten dot com became a walking simulator.

Manhunt was the start of this trend but in that game at least the horrendous violent was part of the entire point of the game. Weird that in fifteen/twenty years the sort of poo poo that got a game functionally banned in a lot of places is relatively commonplace now.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Perestroika posted:

Nioh 2 continued that tradition with an absolute motherfucker of a boss in the second main mission, a giant old snake demon. You don't have very many tools at that point, if you deal too much damage to the wrong body parts too quickly it will switch into a separate mode that is even more dangerous, and it's got a good old one-hit-kill grapple move as well. Took me an inordinate amount of time to grind it down, and as it turns out just about every single boss I faced afterwards was so much easier it's not even funny.

Wo Long decided to double down and make the first boss one of the toughest in the game - not in small part due to the fact that it's the first boss you fight so you don't have a lot of time with the mechanics, and coop doesn't get unlocked until after you beat him. To add to that, he has two phases, there's no checkpoint between the phases, and for the next dozen or so bosses, no one else has two phases.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Terra Nil is a very cute little strategy/puzzle game where you clear up and clean out wastelands to repopulate them with flora and fauna, then clean up your stuff and gently caress off.
And it's the last bit that drags it down. It's a short and cute game with 8 levels, but the last phase of dismantling before you leave the level is just tedium that drags down the entire experience.

You've already solved the hard parts (First phase: managing your resource economy, Second Phase: setting up enough biomes and in the right configuration.). The 'now dismantle everything you built' part just feels like it's there to pad out gametime.
There's no difficulty to it other than juggling accessibility to areas and dismantling stuff. So much of it is spent waiting for the drones to disassemble stuff (and in the correct order, because you need to dismantle your transport system as well.), while actually 'solving' it takes just a few moments.

Cute game otherwise, but really not worth the price I feel. It should have had a few more levels to experiment a bit more with the mechanics or something.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cleretic posted:

I remember the original Driver on PS1 had a weirdly difficult tutorial in a parking garage before you were allowed to play.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Lobok posted:

I remember the original Driver on PS1 had a weirdly difficult tutorial in a parking garage before you were allowed to play.

Its a shame Driver existed before the days of trackable achievements because that would have an impressive number of people who never finished it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

CitizenKain posted:

Its a shame Driver existed before the days of trackable achievements because that would have an impressive number of people who never finished it.

I remember spending so long to beat the tutorial I did not want to play the rest of the actual game at all

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CitizenKain posted:

And the other funny bit is that the demo just put you out in the city and let you freely drive around. So I had hours and hours of actual driving under my belt by the time I started the game itself, only to be instantly frustrated by that completely useless BS at the beginning.
:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CitizenKain posted:

Makes me wonder, was there a time when trackable achievements overlapped with the era of game rentals? The percentages for late-game stuff would have been so skewed.