Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I’ve seen a few a successful crusades without my help and plenty when I get strong enough that I can practically when the thing by myself.

For a different question, I did a Karling run starting as Lothaire. I formed the Holy Rome Empire awhile ago. Now I know in the 1066 start the HRE has a very nice crown artifact. Is there any way I can create that same crown on my own? I keep sponsoring inspirations, but so far I just get some blue level crowns that are fine, but no HRE crown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Sponsor Adventures in Western Europe; it's a unique artifact that spawns there.

Yes, that is silly.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
While we're on the topic, is it me or is really dang hard to get a throne artifact? I must have the worst luck sponsoring them.

edit: Oh dang, that's the other thing from that dev diary that I forgot: Destroying artifacts is the wrong solution to the wrong dang problem. Why is the artifact list a goddamn drop-down disaster? Destroying artifacts is no easier than just handing them out to non-heir family, it's all about that UI being a mess.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 23, 2023

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

They are very annoying as a item that a) has a specific slot but B) you can't directly sponsor, yes.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Oh god yes, I don’t need another goblet or loving tapestry while I’m sitting here with no regalia and a dining chair for a throne.

Hellioning posted:

Sponsor Adventures in Western Europe; it's a unique artifact that spawns there.

Yes, that is silly.

Ah thanks, I’ll make sure to keep on those and hopefully it pops up.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hellioning posted:

You'd think the same issue would happen for crusades for Egypt, then.

The problem the AI typically has with Jerusalem is that it's really bad at taking and then holding territory so it eventually loses to ticking war score. Larger kingdoms like Egypt it doesn't have as much of a problem with because it can establish more of a foothold before the doomstack arrives and they don't get completely pushed out of the war target before regrouping.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The problem the AI typically has with Jerusalem is that it's really bad at taking and then holding territory so it eventually loses to ticking war score. Larger kingdoms like Egypt it doesn't have as much of a problem with because it can establish more of a foothold before the doomstack arrives and they don't get completely pushed out of the war target before regrouping.

Ah, that does make sense.

(I did eventually see a Crusade for Jerusalem that failed in like a year from lost battles alone, so I might have just missed them.)

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I hate the establish Iberian foothold decision. I actually hate all the things with the Iberian struggle. I wish I could just turn it off.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Also the coastal counties in Egypt are WAY better for supply than Jerusalem so Crusaders don't get attrited away before accomplishing anything of value.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Invading England as Scotland/Ireland right now because I have the HRE and France as allies and thus have more troops then them on the whole.

My plan is to put one of my sons on the throne. Then when I die his brother will get Ireland, my oldest surviving son will get Scotland and I'll have four three separate independent kingdoms under my dynasty. (Four including Badajoz).

I'll probably have to spend a lot of time and effort helping him keep the throne unlike Ireland which is almost entirely Scots Catholic now.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've won a Jerusalem crusade, but it basically involved landing troops on the precise day hostilities started, and getting a lot of sieging done before everyone arrives. Bonus for being 'war leader' since I technically was heading armies as reinforcements poured in, but the space to breathe and resupply must have tipped things in the christian AI's favour enough.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Bird in a Blender posted:

I hate the establish Iberian foothold decision. I actually hate all the things with the Iberian struggle. I wish I could just turn it off.

I think you can turn off individual DLC in the launcher, or at game start somewhere.

Serephina posted:

While we're on the topic, is it me or is really dang hard to get a throne artifact? I must have the worst luck sponsoring them.

They seem to be relatively rare for me as well. Once I'm established as a king or emperor, I'll periodically check large realms for unique thrones and just steal one. There's like 4, and the only one with any restrictions is the Throne of Solomon, which every Abrahamic (or sympathy for the same) character can use.

DJ_Mindboggler fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 27, 2023

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Is there any way to identify how many runestones your family has built? I'm trying for Saga in Stone, and approaching the 1100s and want to know if I need to restart

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Moreau posted:

Is there any way to identify how many runestones your family has built?
Probably close to zero TBH

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Moreau posted:

Is there any way to identify how many runestones your family has built?

Lol there sure isn't

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I don't normally like cheesing achievements in games like this but there's no real good way to get saga in stone. I feel like you're supposed to cheese it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
What is the cheese, compared to playing normally? Rapidly swapping characters to bypass the decision cooldown?

edit: HAH, EXACTLY THAT. Feel smug about it!

Serephina fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 28, 2023

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Serephina posted:

What is the cheese, compared to playing normally? Rapidly swapping characters to bypass the decision cooldown?

Yeah. Get a bunch of money and piety by raiding, have a childless man with his childless brother as an heir. Try to revoke a title and get into a tyranny war. Surrender to get your brother on the throne. Since he just got a title he is allowed to raise a runestone, so do so. Then attempt to revoke a title, fail, and get into a tyranny war to put the original brother back on the throne. He just got a title, so he is allowed to raise a runestone...

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
What a fun achievement.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/dev-diary-121-an-active-life.1576149/

New hunts look awesome. I've officially entered the "I don't want to play the game until this new content is in it" phase. :birddrugs:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Finnish Flasher posted:

What a fun achievement.

It's unbelievably irritating. It's also not even the worst one!

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
this expansion is way bigger than was apparent when they first announced it

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

ELTON JOHN posted:

this expansion is way bigger than was apparent when they first announced it

Isn't the activity revamp mostly free to boot, except for the grand activities?

It's definitely leaning more into the character game than the mapgame (well except for last week's mechanics changes) but that's cool by me honestly.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Tucked away in the extensive talks on hunts and pilgrimages is the existence of a "Grand Wedding" option, and god, that is a thing I have wanted since early on in CK2 when I first started playing. It always felt really weird that I would just instantly be married as an emperor, (or honestly, even a count) with no pomp whatsoever.

I wonder if it's a thing you can throw for someone else (your children, clearly) to gain prestige.

Maybe a successful wedding could improve the court opinion on your spouse so that they don't hate them for being foreign. Sort of a formal introduction.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Dallan Invictus posted:

It's definitely leaning more into the character game than the mapgame (well except for last week's mechanics changes) but that's cool by me honestly.

I agree and I think it is very good that they are deciding not to simply remake CK 2. At first, I was semi-disappointed we didn't get regional mechanics DLC but now I understand what they are gunning for - a more true-to-life RPG experience. CK2 remains available for those focused on map-based gameplay. I thought Royal Court was fantastic and if they continue on this direction, I will be more than happy to keep up with DLC purchases.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

I enjoy map painting but mostly only do it because there's not much else to do, and if this is the kind of thing they want to work on then they should have at it. The roleplaying is so superficial right now, but a few lumps of content like this one seems to be playing out and the realm could end up a pretty interesting place to hang out.

Some of the functionality sounds incredible for modders too. The xp on traits and their branching paths feels like it opens up a ton of space for RPG stuff in mods that doesn't involve kludging together your own systems, and the travel system giving you a way to interact with the map like a choose your own adventure has a ton of potential.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
It is becoming increasingly possible that we could play as someone unlanded by the end of CK3.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I would play single games a lot longer if Renounce All Titles, Fake Your Death, and Journey around the World looking for a new spot to set up a court were a possibility.

XP on traits also opens up a ton of opportunities for education, trait improvement, and inherited traits getting wholly overhauled. Genetic Genius/Beauty/Physique being innate XP bonuses for certain traits rather than actual traits would go a long, long wait in breaking up the genetics lottery. Have Intelligence/Attractiveness/Physique be traits you can work on and improve or lose over time and those inherited traits just being something like "Naturally Beautiful + 50% exp gain for Attraction Traits". It also means you could tie lifestyles to bonuses in those areas. A Chilvalrous knight can work on physique and become Herculean without just being a born a titan baby.

Omnicarus fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 29, 2023

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Omnicarus posted:

Have Intelligence/Attractiveness/Physique be traits you can work on and improve or lose over time and those inherited traits just being something like "Naturally Beautiful + 50% exp gain for Attraction Traits". It also means you could tie lifestyles to bonuses in those areas. A Chilvalrous knight can work on physique and become Herculean without just being a born a titan baby.

I mean, this is what the Strong/Weak and Shrewd/Dull traits are meant to reflect (cultivated as opposed to natural boosts) but more ways to change thoae would be good and XP is a way to achieve that (theoretically anyway).

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

You know, this game really does get you saying strange things. Like, "oh good, my son has cancer, hopefully he dies before I do", and "I didn't think marrying my sister would result in so many deformities so quickly."

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
things were going well but then i died and now im gay and my wife hates me because i banged her uncle but i dont really care what she thinks because she made me get rid of my cat

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

ELTON JOHN posted:

things were going well but then i died and now im gay and my wife hates me because i banged her uncle but i dont really care what she thinks because she made me get rid of my cat

this is the aerith dying of CK3. We all hate to see it, but it happens every time

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Not sure if this was posted but the CK3 version of the Warcraft mod was released recently. Haven't tested it yet so can't comment on stability but it is just as ambitious as Elder Kings.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/warcraft-guardians-of-azeroth-2

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

ELTON JOHN posted:

Pets >>>>> spouses, every time. :colbert:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

queef anxiety posted:

Not sure if this was posted but the CK3 version of the Warcraft mod was released recently. Haven't tested it yet so can't comment on stability but it is just as ambitious as Elder Kings.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/warcraft-guardians-of-azeroth-2

It's stuck back in ver 1.5.2, and as a result, is incredibly unstable because that was apparently a crash happy patch of the game. They're trying to get it working on the most recent patch but have nothing to show for their efforts yet. The Steam Workshop has none of the changes from their git, for instance.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Apparently local artisans are stuck with that shame forever. I hooked/married someone with an inspiration into my court, and they produced a common artifact. Looking into the save the artifact has 20 quality/25 wealth, like a local artisan is capped at... so I figure some AI commissioned an artifact, hired the guy as a court artificer afterward, and he got an inspiration. But the local_artisan flag is never removed, so even if they get a real inspiration later they'll still produce junk.

e: Looking into it further I think they try to remove the local_artisan variable when the artifact is complete, but there is no local_artisan variable, it's a character flag.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Apr 3, 2023

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Regency dev diary is up - and it's pretty hefty to boot, they've implemented a whole new system for power sharing (complete with coup risk) that's explicitly extendible to other cases.

I don't know how it'll play but it reads pretty well with plenty of levers to pull, and we'll find out how it plays in just over a month, since the other announcement today was a new season pass, a May 11 release date for Tours and Tournaments, a Q3 target for Wards and Wardens, and a Legacy of Persia flavour pack targeting a Q4 release.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Seems like a solid enough year. $35 is about the most I'd pay for that stuff, but so long as I'm interested in the content of the expansions I don't think it's too exorbitant.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Looking good. Now Im getting exited about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

They've won me over with the dev diaries, this is looking way better than their initial announcement. :)