Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

History Comes Inside! posted:

Tbf people predicted the ending of Lost as soon as it aired and the show runners spent the whole run going “nuh uh you’ll never guess it nobody could ever guess it” before ending it exactly the way people said they would from the beginning.

The Island wasn't purgatory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The show was.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

History Comes Inside! posted:

Tbf people predicted the ending of Lost as soon as it aired and the show runners spent the whole run going “nuh uh you’ll never guess it nobody could ever guess it” before ending it exactly the way people said they would from the beginning.

Oh yeah I remember that, and I got it mixed up with Westworld. Lost went like you said, and Westworld was the show where the show runners literally admitted that people guessed some key twists ahead of time because they were the logical thing, and then they rewrote things in a panic and arbitrarily changed important plot points to things fans hadn't guessed, because they didn't make a loving bit of sense.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

The Island wasn't purgatory

I'd argue if people are still unclear on this a decade later then the ending was poorly written. Like people complain about the endings to the Sopranos and Battlestar Galactica and Game of Thrones but most people agree on what happened

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Gaz-L posted:

I'd argue if people are still unclear on this a decade later then the ending was poorly written. Like people complain about the endings to the Sopranos and Battlestar Galactica and Game of Thrones but most people agree on what happened

most of the people confused stopped watching before the final season of lost and only heard secondhand what happened in the last episode

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, I had a lot of problems with Lost but I felt they went painfully out of their way to explain that the events that we saw take place on the island happened in the real world, and it was only this weird post-island phase they were in during the last season that was their limbo as they waited to all unite together again before moving on. I mean, I think at one point one of the characters (Hurley?) literally straight up just says it as flat-out text?

Still, the best ending for Lost is still the gif of the dog waking up and running into the wall :allears:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Apr 3, 2023

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

These motherfuckers are so loving tiresome. It's always some fat middle aged white dude with a bloatee running in to breathlessly tell everyone that ACKSHUALLY TRUE STORYTELLING MASTERY IS SUBVERTING EXPECTATIONS with that same loving "I am the expert of everything" voice, while being so loving wrong it would be hard to be wronger if you tried.

And I am also so loving tired of some people who should know better agreeing with them. This is how we get poo poo like the ending of LOST, where writers are so afraid of being predictable that they take the dumbest, worst possible options in an effort to swerve the audience and end up loving over their whole story.

You don't even have to go outside of wrestling: that's how you get Vince Russo and his SHOCKING SWERVES that were all about making sure no dirt-sheet smark could say they guessed his finishes ahead of time, regardless of whether they made sense or were good booking.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Low hanging fruit considering who its from but still:

https://twitter.com/JobberNationTV/status/1642766319698464769?t=66fBHWsBXtyIMy7z_KOLwg&s=19

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

reddit guy posted:

Seems convenient WWE had the show in LA, where Endeavor is based. This has been in motion for quite a while imo.

They had to host Wrestlemania where the buyer was based so that it would be easier to stop by and sign the contracts before the show.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, I had a lot of problems with Lost but I felt they went painfully out of their way to explain that the events that we saw take place on the island happened in the real world
There's literally a line in the finale where Jack's dad explicitly tells him that everything that happened on the island was real, and they linger on the point as Jack figures out he died after that, and then multiple characters explain where they are and what this new world is, so I never understood WTF anyone was confused by. It's the most straight-forward episode of the entire show.

Selachian posted:

You don't even have to go outside of wrestling: that's how you get Vince Russo and his SHOCKING SWERVES that were all about making sure no dirt-sheet smark could say they guessed his finishes ahead of time, regardless of whether they made sense or were good booking.
Russo booking was more or less "In Case of Emergency Break Kayfabe".

Like that time GOLDBERG REFUSED TO FOLLOW THE SCRIPT

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

Oh my, no. Even the Sopranos thread here has people back and forth on whether Tony got shot (although to be fair Tony getting shot does not particularly matter).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I loved the end of Return of the Jedi when the Great Master George Lucas had Luke kill Palpatine and he and Vader began a new era of galactic dominance.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

xbilkis posted:

https://twitter.com/mattkoonmusic/status/1642760939304013827

I dare you to name one story where the good guy wins in his expected moment of triumph

https://twitter.com/TrevorDame/status/1642772931448291328

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/JESnowden/status/1642877990550876160

Oh, good!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I hope dumbo dummy Jim Cramer interviews Vince.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Wait. UFC/WWE isn’t an April fools joke?

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, I had a lot of problems with Lost but I felt they went painfully out of their way to explain that the events that we saw take place on the island happened in the real world, and it was only this weird post-island phase they were in during the last season that was their limbo as they waited to all unite together again before moving on. I mean, I think at one point one of the characters (Hurley?) literally straight up just says it as flat-out text?

Still, the best ending for Lost is still the gif of the dog waking up and running into the wall :allears:

It was Hurley, yeah. He was often the audience stand-in and would often make comments and theories that aligned with what was being discussed on message boards and the like.

Anyway. A lot of the failures of modern story telling can be laid at the feet of people who studied audience metrics and social media interactions instead of things like narrative pay off or plot structure or character development. Nobody cares if a story is good anymore, they just care if people talk about it on Twitter so much that it starts trending.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sisal Two-Step posted:

It was Hurley, yeah. He was often the audience stand-in and would often make comments and theories that aligned with what was being discussed on message boards and the like.

Anyway. A lot of the failures of modern story telling can be laid at the feet of people who studied audience metrics and social media interactions instead of things like narrative pay off or plot structure or character development. Nobody cares if a story is good anymore, they just care if people talk about it on Twitter so much that it starts trending.

Definitely, the preoccupation with raw ratings and dynamite ratings is toxic and bad

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I respect how galaxy brained he had to get to spin this as good for the performers.

https://twitter.com/ThisIsNasty/status/1642928214980050945

(Beyond not wanting your agent to be your boss, think about all of the UFC movie careers from the purchase to present.)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Insert here the months of WWE addicts denying that WWE was being prepped to be sold and deriding every report as AEW bias or mudslinging. Also that Vince was just back as a figurehead.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Beyond Wrestling Drew posted a really dumb thread and one of the counter takes managed to be even more bizarre.

https://twitter.com/brodouche/status/1642929769879678977

After watching the Circle 6 stream I beg indies not to try to run worse production values.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

MassRafTer posted:

I respect how galaxy brained he had to get to spin this as good for the performers.

(Beyond not wanting your agent to be your boss, think about all of the UFC movie careers from the purchase to present.)

Marvel Phase 5 just got a lot more interesting!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I say we hear this guy and his $2 beer plan out.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

MassRafTer posted:

Beyond Wrestling Drew posted a really dumb thread and one of the counter takes managed to be even more bizarre.

https://twitter.com/brodouche/status/1642929769879678977

After watching the Circle 6 stream I beg indies not to try to run worse production values.

I agree, it would rule to go back to a 2003 cost of living, but I'm not sure that wrestling promoters will really be the ones to make that happen

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

I suspect that guy didn't watch anything other than the boring-rear end, staid GCW shows, if he even watched them

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Sounds like Endeavor just sent Alfred some really good meats.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Bonk posted:

Sounds like Endeavor just sent Alfred some really good meats.

*mumbling* meatplatterendeavor

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCir...nt=share_button

Trust The Process

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

The amount of salty/coping reddit posts that get deleted by the mod team is hilarious.

Here's one for the archives:

"I was really upset when two Japanese wrestlers won the Royal Rumble and both lost their matches at WrestleMania, I always blamed it on Vince but I was fine. I never liked Triple H as a wrestler but loved what he did with NXT and later the larger WWE universe but after this WrestleMania, which I was so emotionally involved with I don't know why, I am quitting watching wrestling as a whole because it's messed me up emotionally, like when the streak was broken. I have never been a sports guy and my friends always made fun of me for watching wrestling but now I see the reason, it's scripted and no matter how perfect the story could be they would always want it to be something different because they want to subvert the expectations. I'm sure WWE doesn't mind losing one fan when they have millions but I would miss watching WWE. Good bye, Squared Circle."

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Less than 24 hours after the biggest AEW defection got nerfed in the biggest show of the year

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

D.N. Nation posted:

Less than 24 hours after the biggest AEW defection got nerfed in the biggest show of the year

I get what he's saying here, at least, even if I don't think he's right. Hypothetically, these big Hollywood agents could get you placed in TV/movies outside of wrestling. Realistically, this won't happen because WWE doesn't actually want anyone to be successful outside their chosen few.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Endless Mike posted:

I get what he's saying here, at least, even if I don't think he's right. Hypothetically, these big Hollywood agents could get you placed in TV/movies outside of wrestling. Realistically, this won't happen because WWE doesn't actually want anyone to be successful outside their chosen few.

It won't happen because Nick Khan wasn't even that kind of agent. He represented a bunch of sports talk show hosts and UFC has seen person try to crossover into acting since the sale, Ronda Rousey. It went well.

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021
https://twitter.com/ThatsFNW/status/1643050689743196160

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

if he does come back it'll be because of YOU PEOPLE!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

JUNGLE BOY posted:

if he does come back it'll be because of YOU PEOPLE!

Its fear mongering and fake news!

^ this is literally what us being said after Vince was on TV literally earlier to state he is back in charge and being kept on they are so hard into denial

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/JDfromNY206/status/1643086830848360448?s=20

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I mean it's almost certain Vince is back at this point but the desperate refusal to believe that HHH isn't a perfectly flawless booker is also pretty amazing

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Endless Mike posted:

The sad truth is that James Gunn as an individual is more responsible for WWE guys making it in Hollywood than the entirety of WWE.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Whoever does the Fast and Furious movies helps as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Endless Mike posted:

Reminder that WWE let Rock leave to go to Hollywood cause they assumed he'd fail without their help and come crawling back to them and now 20 years later they're derailing their most successful storyline in a desperate gambit to get him to just visit for a day