Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Kith posted:

have you considered avoiding the parts of the game that you do not like or enjoy?
I started to write the very obvious response, then realised you already know, so why fuckin' bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

wait where do you get the red bars for the class-exclusive swords? is that the rightmost of the two cheapest focus options at the War Table?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

wait where do you get the red bars for the class-exclusive swords? is that the rightmost of the two cheapest focus options at the War Table?

Yes, it drops either Imperial Decree (kinetic shotgun) or your class’s sword. The red border rate is pretty bad so save up a lot of engrams first

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Shame caster frames are a) not better and b) not given more love.

Also it's pretty lame that aggressive and lightweight frames are class-exclusive, but Warlock's class exclusive is totally unremarkable as a result of them giving everyone vortex.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

haveblue posted:

Yes, it drops either Imperial Decree (kinetic shotgun) or your class’s sword. The red border rate is pretty bad so save up a lot of engrams first

noted. I’m not loving with it until I’ve got a few more Defiance patterns finished anyway but appreciate the tip!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Shockeh posted:

I started to write the very obvious response, then realised you already know, so why fuckin' bother.

go right ahead, i seriously do not understand why people insist on subjecting themselves to things that they do not enjoy for rewards that they will inevitably be angered and/or frustrated by

e: like seriously i have never played a match of trials in my life and you know what? i'm loving happy. i correctly identified that poo poo was not something i was interested in subjecting myself to and having no contact with it rules.

Oxyclean posted:

Shame caster frames are a) not better and b) not given more love.

Also it's pretty lame that aggressive and lightweight frames are class-exclusive, but Warlock's class exclusive is totally unremarkable as a result of them giving everyone vortex.

it's remarkable because it's A) the only craftable vortex frame and B) the only sword that gets destabilizing rounds

also caster frames seriously gently caress up Crucible, especially since Trials offered one that dealt more damage for no apparent reason, so they're a touchy subject

noted. I’m not loving with it until I’ve got a few more Defiance patterns finished anyway but appreciate the tip!

if it makes you feel any better, it only costs 2 engrams as opposed to the defiance engrams' 4, so it's cheaper than it initially appears

Kith fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 3, 2023

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Kith posted:

go right ahead, i seriously do not understand why people insist on subjecting themselves to things that they do not enjoy for rewards that they will inevitably be angered and/or frustrated by
Because you're then disadvantaged when facing it elsewhere, same as always? Comp Crucible is already 3 stacks of Immortal Adepts everywhere.
I absolutely loathe LL enabled PVP; I want to win because I played better, not because I just sank more time into it.

And yes, it ends up being single percentile differences, but those differences make or break Crucible in all the times you win/lose fights over single HP differences.

E: And we've both been around enough you know all this, I'm just saying it out loud for catharis, honestly.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

You almost don't need to spend engrams on the defiant patterns themselves - spending a key at the end of a battleground gives you either a pattern you need or high stat armor. RNG is RNG, but the patterns are pretty easy to get so long as you spend some of those keys. But I suppose the "first focus a week is a pattern" is a good assist too - if you're not trying to rush a particular pattern, you can also just buy the cheap random engram and I think that should give you a pattern you need, since you can't get red borders for weapons you're done with. Sadly the "first focus of the week" does not apply to the opulent engram that gives the swords.

Spending engrams past that for defiant patterns probably isn't the best use of them, unless you just don't got time to run the battlegrounds.

Kith posted:

it's remarkable because it's A) the only craftable vortex frame and B) the only sword that gets destabilizing rounds
Fair! But clearly it's no Throne-Cleaver/Crown-Splitter by your metrics otherwise.

I'm sure it's just a matter of time till they make an all-class craftable vortex.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Shockeh posted:

Because you're then disadvantaged when facing it elsewhere, same as always? Comp Crucible is already 3 stacks of Immortal Adepts everywhere.
I absolutely loathe LL enabled PVP; I want to win because I played better, not because I just sank more time into it.

And yes, it ends up being single percentile differences, but those differences make or break Crucible in all the times you win/lose fights over single HP differences.

E: And we've both been around enough you know all this, I'm just saying it out loud for catharis, honestly.

i would agree with you if it was not possible to obtain a weapon that could outperform it, which is not the case - huckleberry is straight up better than immortal, adept or no.

on top of that, being a SMG, it has a fairly narrow band of dominating performance and can be outranged or countered by the appropriate weapon. i WILL grant you that destiny 2's map designs tend to favor the SMG engagement range, but that doesn't mean it's completely unbeatable.

personally i've enjoyed finding many ways to break hearts and scramble brains and ruin lives because i know loving EVERYBODY is running immortal right now, so playing with that knowledge in mind has bumped up my atrocious K/D a few percentage points.

Oxyclean posted:

Fair! But clearly it's no Throne-Cleaver/Crown-Splitter by your metrics otherwise.

I'm sure it's just a matter of time till they make an all-class craftable vortex.

to be counter-fair, that list is ranking swords based on how effective they are at chopping off riven's toes in ten seconds or less, which is an incredibly and brutally niche application. death's razor whips rear end in gambit

Kith fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 3, 2023

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Trials is fun if you've taken drugs, I have discovered that. I went up a few ranks thanks to that. Mode is fun when you're too high to notice when you die (or win) lol

I still think Trials is a mode based on a fundamentally flawed idea, but what I think doesn't much matter. Also I don't really care that much, the best part of trials is rounds are 90 seconds tops, that rules.

I'm enjoying the hell out of the revamped Strikes, Glassway NF is fun as hell. Keen to see how everything feels come Wednesday (for me, timezones) with the primary buffs.

Game is good and fun, hot take.

Edit: they should add capture the flag and give us Facing Worlds. My favourite PvP modes are Control (and therefore Irony Banana) and Rift because of the chaos.

syntaxfunction fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 3, 2023

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Trials would be ok on blood gulch, but that's it

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

syntaxfunction posted:

Trials is fun if you've taken drugs

another very good thread title candidate

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Gimme some fun things to take and pay for me to order in and I'll make Bungo a tonne of new PvP maps that are awesome and may or may not be semi-copied from Unreal Tournament and Quake 3.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

Gimme some fun things to take and pay for me to order in and I'll make Bungo a tonne of new PvP maps that are awesome and may or may not be semi-copied from Unreal Tournament and Quake 3.

Longest Yard (Q3DM17) but the launchers are the ones from RoN.

e: On second thought, having to stop and shoot would probably be too awkward. Just assume whatever launchers they put in would be inconsistent.
e2: Kind of hosed up if they don't make a pvp map based on encounter 2 of RoN that is also a callback to Ship-to-Ship boarding action.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 3, 2023

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Crucru map inside the traveler when??

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Kith posted:

i would agree with you if it was not possible to obtain a weapon that could outperform it, which is not the case - huckleberry is straight up better than immortal, adept or no.

on top of that, being a SMG, it has a fairly narrow band of dominating performance and can be outranged or countered by the appropriate weapon. i WILL grant you that destiny 2's map designs tend to favor the SMG engagement range, but that doesn't mean it's completely unbeatable.

personally i've enjoyed finding many ways to break hearts and scramble brains and ruin lives because i know loving EVERYBODY is running immortal right now, so playing with that knowledge in mind has bumped up my atrocious K/D a few percentage points.

Come on fam, being loud and wrong isn't the way. Huckleberry? in pvp???? huh

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PathAsc posted:

Crucru map inside the traveler when??

At this rate? 2028

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

RBX posted:

Come on fam, being loud and wrong isn't the way. Huckleberry? in pvp???? huh

I use Huckleberry in PvP! I also have a terrible record in PvP but that probably isn't the gun's fault lol

I have been using progressively more inane weapons in Trials for fun. I am probably pissing off a lot of teammates, but I need to know if Something New and the Seraph sidearm are a secret killer combo! I also sometimes forget what exotic I'm wearing and swap subclasses mid match for funsies.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

bold and controversial take: I think I like Guardian Ranks?

Grinding up to 7 and 8 has been satisfying and encouraged me to do content I don't normally do like the weekly missions or nightfalls, it's been interesting. Rank 9's probably gonna be a pain just cause I need to hit pinnacle cap but it has illuminated that I have never completed prophecy or shattered throne (despite having wish-ender...) so I'll definitely get those done at least.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Guardian ranks are fine for what they are, which is supposed to be a guide for what to do to advance in your ability and skill at the game. Unfortunately it's in a weird spot where there's a few issues:
- People want to be rewarded for the effort put into ranks, more than just number go up
- However, people really want number go up, hence the issues with commendations, because the numbers were a lot higher than what a lot of people felt were reasonable.
- They put things like extra loadouts as unlocks in the rank system, which makes it more confusing whether it's a guide or a set of goals.

It's a perfectly fine system, but kind of stuck in between whether it's something you should be consciously focusing on achieving, or simply a guide for where to go next in the game. I don't really know what the right move or change is that will make people happy. Add more rewards but risk issues with people not achieving them (the FOMO position) or remove all rewards and have it be seen as largely irrelevant by everyone apparently?

TL;DR I like them too!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Guardian Ranks are just Diablo 3’s Seasonal Journey but they made the mistake of making them bad with no rewards instead of good/fun with great rewards.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

RBX posted:

Huckleberry? in pvp???? huh

huckleberry loving rules and if you think otherwise you're wrong

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

arsenicCatnip posted:

you wouldn't actually want swords for doing Riven legit, at least not your whole team. You need someone in position to shoot eyes.

:thejoke: :dance:

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Just replayed the witch queen campaign and it reminded me how great the story development was presented then.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I played this game at launch and enjoyed it well enough in terms of playing through the campaign, and now I'm starting to hear from podcasts that the game is actually pretty good now at being something where you can play through a new mission every week? That sort of small, drip feed content sounds perfect for me, something novel I look forward to every weekend with a pretty clear "you've seen the new stuff, come back next time" limit. Is that how the game works now? Do they add one new story strike ever week or something, at least when the DLC is new? If so, I'd like to get back into the game. I downloaded the Steam client and the gunplay, of course, is still great. But I had a couple questions:

First, I don't have access to that old character anymore, because I foolishly let the Blizzard account transfer window pass - so should I buy lightfall, or the bundle of previous DLC. Does the old DLC suffer from being incongruous with the current state of the game that I'll see at the tower or anything like that? Will I still have plenty of people for strikes?

Second, in my original character I'd run Zavala strikes until I had the same red and white armor and assault rifle that my titan had started the tutorial with. I'd liked that, a little arc where I'd gotten back the old gear that was kind of a badge of office. I saw another NPC guardian in the same gear during the Lightfall cinema, so I'm guessing it's still a visual shorthand for "yup, that's a guardian". Anyway, I'd like to get that gear again, is it still available?

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Jack B Nimble posted:

I played this game at launch and enjoyed it well enough in terms of playing through the campaign, and now I'm starting to hear from podcasts that the game is actually pretty good now at being something where you can play through a new mission every week? That sort of small, drip feed content sounds perfect for me, something novel I look forward to every weekend with a pretty clear "you've seen the new stuff, come back next time" limit. Is that how the game works now? Do they add one new story strike ever week or something, at least when the DLC is new? If so, I'd like to get back into the game. I downloaded the Steam client and the gunplay, of course, is still great. But I had a couple questions:

First, I don't have access to that old character anymore, because I foolishly let the Blizzard account transfer window pass - so should I buy lightfall, or the bundle of previous DLC. Does the old DLC suffer from being incongruous with the current state of the game that I'll see at the tower or anything like that? Will I still have plenty of people for strikes?

Second, in my original character I'd run Zavala strikes until I had the same red and white armor and assault rifle that my titan had started the tutorial with. I'd liked that, a little arc where I'd gotten back the old gear that was kind of a badge of office. I saw another NPC guardian in the same gear during the Lightfall cinema, so I'm guessing it's still a visual shorthand for "yup, that's a guardian". Anyway, I'd like to get that gear again, is it still available?
D2's big yearly campaigns are currently do-at-your-own-pace story driven affairs. You can complete the most recent one (Lightfall) it in about 8 hours of playtime. The Seasonal questlines are drip-fed week by week with additional seasonal activities. This season, for example, has a handful of small missions and cutscenes that were drip fed for about 5 weeks, and currently we're in the tank waiting for the conclusion of the season. Usually whenever you finish the main campaign or seasonal storyline, the post campaign shenanigans for exotics, strand fragments, weapon patterns, armor rolls, transmogs, and such take up your time. There are additional things like secret missions that crop up from time to time (Currently we have one called Avalon). Occasional events like Guardian games or Dawning (christmas) break up the monotony with additional weapons to chase, different ways to play, cosmetics and so on. People have mentioned the Guardian Rank System, and I think that's an excellent checklist of things to do in the game that can guide you towards different activities and give you something to do. After you're done with New Light, the main campaign and not sure what to do next, the GRS can point you towards accruing light, learning about the mod system, snagging upgrade materials, nightfalls, dungeons and raids.

First point: Lightfall gets you the current offerings and you can also snag the new Seasonal offerings to keep up to date on the smaller story movements. Older DLC has storylines that play into the current story but aren't necessarily super important to know about. When you purchase older content, you're mostly paying for access to the story, the weapons, the armor, and the activities that those particular pieces of DLC had. Each big content drop came with revamps to parts of the entire game. Lightfall adds Strand, a new subclass. Witch Queen added craftable weapons with foundry perks (a trend continued in Lightfall) and a revamp of all light subclasses. Beyond Light added Stasis, a new subclass. Shadowkeep added Armor 2.0 (which, all the armor is armor 2.0 now). Forsaken readded special weapons to the game and added the new light class supers (which are so standard that they're not offered for free to everyone). The quality of these DLCs vary a bit, but I think Witch Queen and Lightfall have solid campaigns gameplay-wise, with Witch Queen having some stellar storytelling. I'd pick up the most recent DLC (Lightfall) and Witch Queen and just sorta pick up the others over time depending on what you'd want, equipment and ability wise.

Second point: The "parade armor" that you see in the character creation menu is a world drop at the moment, and you can snag those items and then, using bounties from Ada-1, add them to your transmog pool. You can make all your armor look like that if you like.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok, the only old gear I have any desire for at all is that red and white armor, so if that's a world drop I'll probably just grab Lightfall so that I'm part of the current, ongoing progression, and then if/when I want more content later I'll look to get some of the older DLC.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Black Talon with catalyst will surprise you with how much damage it does. If you spend all your heavy this way you can probably get the most bang for your buck of any heavy weapon.

The issue is that it requires a lot of mental space to always be parrying and then shooting. You'll probably get killed by something else just concentrating so hard.

I tried to make it work at one point. It's a really cool build, visually. And with mods you can keep it going in a NF pretty much the whole run. But yeah, miss a block and you're effed.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Kith posted:

huckleberry loving rules and if you think otherwise you're wrong

It's very good right now, particularly when paired with for example a disruption break grenade launcher to help get that first kill.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So just to follow up on the "red and white titan armor" thing, that's not "Noble Constant Type 2 Armor Set"? Or is that outdated information? "Parade Armor" seems to be more of a...cosmetic?

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Jack B Nimble posted:

So just to follow up on the "red and white titan armor" thing, that's not "Noble Constant Type 2 Armor Set"? Or is that outdated information? "Parade Armor" seems to be more of a...cosmetic?
Yeah, Noble Constant Type 2 for Titan. Frumious armor for Hunters. Ego Talon for Warlock. The world drop purple armor shares the same look as the white armor.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Great, I just grabbed the gauntlets in the EDZ, thanks!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Honestly, I forgot about caster swords. I wish we could get new ones with different form factors.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Pretty sure we never did get a legendary void one.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I could've sworn Temptation's Hook was Void, but no, apparently it's Arc.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Kith posted:

I could've sworn Temptation's Hook was Void, but no, apparently it's Arc.

I had to look this up too and I was using it just last night (because I had also forgotten that caster swords exist)

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

syntaxfunction posted:

Trials is fun if you've taken drugs

Congrats on the thread title

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RocketRaygun posted:

Congrats on the thread title

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

You know what's dogshit? The pvp in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

pvp is most fun when you play non-serious modes. (or can take the serious modes not so seriously)

which again makes me glad they're making a rotator for just the non-serious modes.