Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Endman posted:

Tens of thousands of Ukrainian lives spent in the mud to get two mostly fake Scandinavian countries with fewer people in them than most US states into the North Atlantic Buying poo poo from America Alliance

its a good thing America produces so much stuff, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah there are a surprising number of orc NFTs

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z98Rr8zCsA

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

gradenko_2000 posted:

The F-35 is a surprisingly versatile vehicle! Take the kids to school! Take grandma down the shops!

But not if it’s raining

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Chillgamesh posted:

imo Elden Ring is better than any of the Souls games, 2 is the best Souls game, and Sekiro is better than all of them. I haven't played Bloodborne because console exclusive lol

Bloodborne and Demon's Souls are the best of them all

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

sweden and denmark are real countries its norway and finland who arent

i assure you: none of us are real countries

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

supersnowman posted:

Let's see if I get this right.

1 handle the screw and sponge to prep the gun. Possibly the rammer too.
2 put the load in the tube.
3 prep the fun to shoot wit the lanyard.
4 shoots the gun wit the lanyard.
5 bring the munition to the gun?
6 and 7 are in charge of prepping the munitions?
G aim and gives order.

I think that's right, it's cut off on the libgen version and my paper copy is at work.

It's a very intuitive illustration, and I find the distinct art style really adds to it.

Endman posted:

Which books are these from because I need it in my life

Osprey British Artillery 1914-19: Heavy Artillery
Osprey 42cm “Big Bertha” and German Siege Artillery Of World War I

e: Their artillery books are pretty good, though there are still a lot missing IMO (Soviet artillery, Austro-Hungarian, Italian, AT and AA for the same, they have a single book covering mortars, etc. ). Their Artillery Tactics of World War I book was fantastic and deserves a sequel, as does World War II Infantry Fire Support Tactics (covers infantry guns and mortars). I really like how their art style has stepped up in recent years.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 13:45 on Apr 3, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Chamale posted:

That's how canister shot worked, yes. But there was also shrapnel shot, which used a variable timer called a Bormann fuze. The powder inside burns at a steady rate, so there are time increments marked on it. The gunner would punch a hole in the metal fuze to expose the powder, and if it was timed right, the shell would fragment in midair just before reaching the enemy line.

It worked about 75% of the time, which is pretty remarkable (and more than the GPS unit on Excalibur, for comparison to current technology).

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
So Rybar is claiming the Russians are taking out deployed m777s 35km from the frontline, I am somewhat credulous since the only ammo they could use at this range are going to be Excaliburs and probably red bagged ones at that. It is also part of a broader claim that a couple dozen of m777s and similar systems have been taken out in the last few weeks and Ukrainian fire has seriously dropped off.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

So Rybar is claiming the Russians are taking out deployed m777s 35km from the frontline, I am somewhat credulous since the only ammo they could use at this range are going to be Excaliburs and probably red bagged ones at that. It is also part of a broader claim that a couple dozen of m777s and similar systems have been taken out in the last few weeks and Ukrainian fire has seriously dropped off.

It would be an really conservative and inefficient use of them, since there's a lot you can't do at the very end of your engagement envelope like that. A change in temperature or weather would be enough that you can't provide fire on a target if it was right on the edge of your range in ideal conditions, that sort of thing. I think it suits both the Russians and Ukrainians to cite that impressive maximum range figure though. It makes the Russian achievement seem that much more impressive, and for Ukraine it ideally shows their extreme range and technological sophistication etc.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

News are saying the 8,000 donated 155mm shells come out to about 1½ day of fire missions. Slava scandi.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

It would be an really conservative and inefficient use of them, since there's a lot you can't do at the very end of your engagement envelope like that. A change in temperature or weather would be enough that you can't provide fire on a target if it was right on the edge of your range in ideal conditions, that sort of thing. I think it suits both the Russians and Ukrainians to cite that impressive maximum range figure though. It makes the Russian achievement seem that much more impressive, and for Ukraine it ideally shows their extreme range and technological sophistication etc.

It would also mean the overall fire rate on the Ukrainian side would be very low wouldn’t it since you very well may be talking about the Ukrainians using very expensive ammo in single guns or pairs with a significant amount of maneuver?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i mean, as long as they can find the gun i don't think russia lacks weapons with the range to take it out

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Ardennes posted:

I don't know about the 35km claim but the videos of Lancet attack on 155mm artillery of all types are a daily occurrence on Telegram.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cerebral Bore posted:

i mean, as long as they can find the gun i don't think russia lacks weapons with the range to take it out

Yeah, it seems like Lancet drones are still very effective in terms of artillery hunting.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
isnt finding and destroying artillery a normal part of warfare using drones and aviation? what makes this situation unique?

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

News are saying the 8,000 donated 155mm shells come out to about 1½ day of fire missions. Slava scandi.

Yeah, the estimation is around 7000 shells a day which would be the total for all caliber they are using. Depending on the size of their 155mm park, they might get a few days out of 8000 shells for those guns only.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1642862020382040064?s=20

quote:

2024 BRICS Summit to be held In the Russian city of Kazan — President Putin

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

supersnowman posted:

I don't know about the 35km claim but the videos of Lancet attack on 155mm artillery of all types are a daily occurrence on Telegram.

It does bring up the question of exactly how much Ukraine is shelling, and exactly what type of systems are they using. Perhaps even the honestly paltry amount of shells being sent from Nordic countries may not even that unreasonable if there aren’t guns to fire them.

Basically, it is unclear what the “6-7k” of shells being fired a day means.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

we should just call this the UN from now on

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Al-Saqr posted:

isnt finding and destroying artillery a normal part of warfare using drones and aviation? what makes this situation unique?

The most common target for artillery, going back to the Seven Years War at least, is other artillery. This is even more true (traditionally) of 155mm guns.

What makes this situation unique is mostly media related tbh. It's all wrapped up in narrative and counter narrative.

e: This ties into Ardennes' earlier observation about single or paired roving guns. The Ukrainians are using a force preservation strategy. Russian resources tied up in hunting for those few targets can't be otherwise employed, so it's not the worst idea in the world.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 14:42 on Apr 3, 2023

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/MSN/status/1642885100735016967?s=20

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Al-Saqr posted:

the 777s were gifted wunderwaffe

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

please tell us how much is left of that $70B after the lockheed and zelensky tax

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

FF does your expertise go as far back as being able to tell us the merits of ACW-era rifled cannons (Parrots?) versus smoothbores (Napoleons?)

In Ultimate general: civil war the Parrots have better range and damage but are rarer while the Napoleons are cheaper and can be massed.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

US nuclear bomb may have been damaged in accident at Dutch base, report says

lol how nonchalant the US is about its nukes

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Im the guy with butterfingers who drops the nuclear bomb

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

you talk as if they are very chalant of them at home

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

bad news everyone

the orcs have ponies now

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

are horses better in mud?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Jel Shaker posted:

Which type of mud

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jel Shaker posted:

Horses can drown in mud

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Jel Shaker posted:

To counter the mud, the Germans made organizational changes and improvements in transportation. One of the best methods for negotiating the rasputiza was the short, sturdy panje horses. In fact, “German mobility during the spring mud season, by contrast, depended to a great extent on peasant panje wagons.” The Soviets and the Germans used the one-horse panje wagon, which was light enough to ride over the mud without being stuck carrying small loads of 100–150 kilograms. These horses were indispensable, and no agency of the German military in the Soviet Union was without them, including the Luftwaffe. The Germans placed many transportation requirements on the “small native panje horses because only they could master the terrain … and panje horses could pull through practically anything.”

Panje horses, however, despite their ability to negotiate mud, succumbed to the weights they hauled just like Western-bred horses. Historian Dennis Showalter wrote that when the Germans faced the rasputiza for the first time, the stress of “hauling guns and wagons through the mud” proved too much for their Western-bred horses, even more so for the smaller panje horses.36 Another historian, R. L. DiNardo, stated that when fully provisioned, the German 105mm artillery piece “weighed as much as 4 tons—[moving it was] a difficult task for six well-fed heavy draft horses. The standard German Army horse-drawn vehicle was made of steel, which also proved too heavy for the small panje horses.”

- Mud: A Military History

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Horses can drown in mud

too soon

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
The horses would be more useful at a petting zoo imo

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/pravda_eng/status/1642534464738799619

why would elon musk do this

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Some Guy TT posted:

bad news everyone

the orcs have ponies now

Putin will stop at nothing to quench his thirst.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

how could elon made anyone with the blue-yellow flag almost always post dumb cringe on twitter

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
more like elon muscovite amirite?

Some Guy TT posted:

bad news everyone

the orcs have ponies now

you're laughing now, but wait until you see how many cavalry buffs the tuvans have stacked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

OctaMurk posted:

The horses would be more useful at a petting zoo imo

Your worried about fighting on the front but somehow are assigned to the pony platoon, a mobile petting zoo to boost morale.