Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Russian nesting dolls are so full of themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Vakal posted:

Russian nesting dolls are so full of themselves.

what are they hiding?

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Maybe he was just smoking carelessly and the bust had nothing to do with it

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Strange how so many useful idiots and brainless morons came out of the woodwork on social media to try pinning this on Ukraine while posting apologism for such paragons of humanity as this one
https://twitter.com/AlasdairMcc1/status/1561983490152771585

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

zone posted:

Strange how so many useful idiots and brainless morons came out of the woodwork on social media to try pinning this on Ukraine while posting apologism for such paragons of humanity as this one
https://twitter.com/AlasdairMcc1/status/1561983490152771585

If a major civil war starts inside Russia, then it will be all Ukraine's fault for defending itself.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/apr/02/russian-writer-mikhail-shishkin-letter-ukrainian-invasion-anniversary-my-russia-war-peace

I'm fan of this piece, the conclusion is kinda dire but on point.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

100% agree with the author here. At least he's safe and no longer in Russia.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1642785318163062786
The Mig's from Poland have begun arriving as well.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

HonorableTB posted:

Will Marin's election loss to the right in Finland make a difference in their NATO application?

I don't automatically like cats or moms, but I am still sorry that she/her party lost.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

Will Marin's election loss to the right in Finland make a difference in their NATO application?

No.

The government made a conscious effort to pass the laws and have all of the required votes done before the elections for this exact situation. Only things left are the lame duck ministers to formally sign the paperwork and deliver it to Washington when requested, and we are done.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

lol Look at the "right wing" of Finland's government that just won the election and it looks positively US Democrat. Man it would be nice to live in a country where THAT is considered "right wing".

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Yeah, mainstream european conservatives are like left-wing dems. "Left-wing" since single-payer healthcare is not up for discussion in most countries.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
so why did Marin lose

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Honestly, the motivates for assassinating this person are so tangled that I'm not sure you can untangle who's behind it as easily as "FSB vs Wagner".

NATO Intel agencies have been running hog wild in Russia this whole time. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that this assisination was a NATO Intel agency aiming at low hanging fruit just to show that they could. I mean, c'mon. Bomb hidden in a statuette is not the style of subtlety that the FSB has lately endorsed, with all the high profile drownings or trips out of the windows of multi-story buildings.

yeah

no

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
US is corporations own you, you live and die by their decree. EU is government owns you, you live and die by their decree. See? Left and right.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

so why did Marin lose

Several small things really; pushing through an unpopular change back to region-level government between local and national, making a mess of the laws regarding the Indigenous people of Lapland, being very badly hamstrung with NATO opinions (they had to do 180 on the topic since all cabinet parties opposed NATO before Ukraine war, Greens even opposed conscription), constantly climateshaming non-capital regions for not using public transportation and being over-relied with cars while not doing anything to fix those issues besides upping taxes and building trolleybus system to Tampere, taking more government loan without actually investing on anything useful, and having constant internal slapfight over who gets to take the glory of managing the COVID-19 crisis or how it is important to save the climate (but gently caress you to you unwashed savages who live outside Helsinki light rail network).

EDIT: And Marin's social democrats actually didn't lose, they just didn't win enough. The Greens (nothing besides climate, and taking you car, matters, Finland outside Helsinki should be closed nature reserve) and The Left Alliance (the remnants of "Russia is our friend", "lets not have own ideas just oppose everything Cock or Pers does") got the actual beating. The Center party (we do anything to help the smaller cities and rural areas, except help smaller cities and rural areas) just kept the losing streak rolling.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 3, 2023

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Thread on "Club of Angry Patriots"

https://twitter.com/Tatarigami_UA/status/1642593731462279173

https://twitter.com/Tatarigami_UA/status/1642593755910864899

illegible pie chart
Jul 2, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

EDIT: And Marin's social democrats actually didn't lose, they just didn't win enough. The Greens (nothing besides climate, and taking you car, matters, Finland outside Helsinki should be closed nature reserve) and The Left Alliance (the remnants of "Russia is our friend", "lets not have own ideas just oppose everything Cock or Pers does") got the actual beating. The Center party (we do anything to help the smaller cities and rural areas, expect help smaller cities and rural areas) just kept the losing streak rolling.
Also I read somewhere in the news yesterday that in Finland the party that has the prime minister seat has won the next elections only twice in Finland's history. Had it been any other party and prime minister, this would with a great propability happened anyway. It does not necessarily have as much to do with Marin as it may seem.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

illegible pie chart posted:

Also I read somewhere in the news yesterday that in Finland the party that has the prime minister seat has won the next elections only twice in Finland's history. Had it been any other party and prime minister, this would with a great propability happened anyway. It does not necessarily have as much to do with Marin as it may seem.

Yes, absolutely agree. And it is important observation that SDP - Marin's party- gained 3 seats so they did win in these elections, but not enough to keep the prime minister's seat because the "pro-NATO before war in Ukraine" opposition parties won more new seats than them. And by itself these results, getting more seats after 4 years running the show, would be historically significant result for the ruling cabinet party.

All others in the cabinet got their figurative assess handed to them, and badly, for a variety of reasons I listed on that message before.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Alan Smithee posted:

so why did Marin lose

That's going to be debated heavily going forward, but True Finns (the second biggest winners) are our right wing populist party who specialize in opposing everything, but especially minorities. When they have anything at all to say except "WE DON'T WANT THAT", they peddle easy answers that aren't ultimately practical or helpful, and I guess people are looking for those in an increasingly difficult situation.

The biggest winners, the National Coalition Party, are the one of the big three who basically rotate winning the elections. People vote one of them in, they don't magically fix everything, then people vote the next one in and it repeats.

I'm not surprised, but I am disappointed. The next four years (hopefully a lot less, I'm crossing my fingers for a new election before then) are going to suck in Finland.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Also, when your coalition partners include parties with historic policies such as: opposing NATO membership, opposing the conscript system and defense spending in general and opposing and preventing building nuclear power, the last year or so was quite rough.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
To surprise of absolutely no one, FSB blames team Navalny

https://twitter.com/meduza_en/status/1642836640430280704

Meanwhile Prigozhin blames "radicals" that are according to him unrelated to Ukrainian government

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1642813456557514752

Kremlin totally trusts senior officials, the ship is not sinking at all

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1642839590439469058

:lol: he can continue the tradition of flying dildos

https://twitter.com/InformNapalm/status/1642825905889320960

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

bad_fmr posted:

Also, when your coalition partners include parties with historic policies such as: opposing NATO membership, opposing the conscript system and defense spending in general and opposing and preventing building nuclear power, the last year or so was quite rough.

Yes, it took exactly 0 days for The Greens and Left alliance to start talking about "strategic voting" and "SDP poaching their voters" ruining them, with such wonderful party agendas as no to nuclear power, no to general investments into energy grid, ban all combustion engines now (and no government assistance to buy an electric car as a replacement), no to NATO, heavily cut from the Finnish army and immediately end the conscription system, being their core agendas just some 14 months ago.

The Green party is a sad one, the new management threw out basically all technologists and futurists in favor of the city-green "animals are people too", "Mother Earth needs to heal more than you need heating in your house" and "owning a car is just pure selfishness"-idiots.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Finland will officially become a NATO member tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/TPKanslia/status/1642844573968809989

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
So putin will throw a tantrum tomorrow to mark Finland joining NATO. 50+ missiles on strategic (lol civilian) targets in Ukraine would be my guess.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Gotta explain later

https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1642835525013741573

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Hmm, yes, this is a good re-enactment of the public confession scene from the 1984 movie. She did forget the line about spreading STDs to undermine the state though.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Lol Russia is saying the bombing was the work of the Ukrainian Security Service working alongside Navalny's Foundation :hmbol:

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

The friendly Nato people are prepared :finland:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
just loling that this whole 'war against NATO expanionism' is leading to NATO becoming bigger and more fotified

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

just loling that this whole 'war against NATO expanionism' is leading to NATO becoming bigger and more fotified

This is good for bitcoin Russia because _____

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

StrangersInTheNight posted:

This proves twitter leftists right

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
They say to keep your friends close and your enemies closer, so we're making sure NATO is as close as possible.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1642888746218422272
:lmao:

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

I'm posting from there right now, don't see why that's so bad?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

A Festivus Miracle posted:

NATO Intel agencies have been running hog wild in Russia this whole time.
Have they? What are you basing this on?

quote:

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that this assisination was a NATO Intel agency aiming at low hanging fruit just to show that they could.

Explain. Why would a NATO intel agency blow up a cafe with some low rate Z blogger?

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

spankmeister posted:

Have they? What are you basing this on?

Explain. Why would a NATO intel agency blow up a cafe with some low rate Z blogger?

That's the bit that often trips people up. Just want to leap to "but both sides/NATO bad" they miss the "but why" bit. Cmon Glenn Greenwold, tell us why you think they would want to do this?

Like, I get it with Nordstream, various sides have at least something to gain over it going up (even if that Hersh article was a load of shite), but in this case? Nah.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Toxic Mental posted:

lol Look at the "right wing" of Finland's government that just won the election and it looks positively US Democrat. Man it would be nice to live in a country where THAT is considered "right wing".

Lol i was always under the impression that the USA had 2 right wing parties, just one wayyyyyy farther to the right than the other

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Roblo posted:

That's the bit that often trips people up. Just want to leap to "but both sides/NATO bad" they miss the "but why" bit. Cmon Glenn Greenwold, tell us why you think they would want to do this?

Like, I get it with Nordstream, various sides have at least something to gain over it going up (even if that Hersh article was a load of shite), but in this case? Nah.

Most conspiracy theories fall apart when you consider how people really think. Attacking journalists in an authoritarian nation with state run media is pointless because it won't change anything.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

stab posted:

Lol i was always under the impression that the USA had 2 right wing parties, just one wayyyyyy farther to the right than the other

50% of Americans will have a mental meltdown if you say Europe considers Obama as centre right. It's quite funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1642837267751358464