Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

God forbid you want to test drive a few cars before narrowing down the make and model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

Oh sweet summer child, let me tell you about the boom bust cycle

Yes senile codger, tell me about all these dealerships where the internet sales aren't just as bad as in person.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Vox Nihili posted:

Oh god no, gently caress you. Communal torture and rent extraction is not the loving solution.

"Communal torture"? This post is easily the most car-brained thing I have ever seen in this thread.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Midjack posted:

Yes senile codger, tell me about all these dealerships where the internet sales aren't just as bad as in person.

Went in to test drive a car that we web calculated payments at $300/mo. Quote from the dealer was $600/mo. Test drive was great, complained about the price, he made a bunch of excuses and knocked it all the way down to $550.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Elephanthead posted:

When does the bust happen? Because it seems like things are still going to be hosed in to 2024.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Fil5000 posted:

There's a reason that online dealerships have sprung up all over the place in the UK (dunno about the US), because most people just want to buy a loving car for a stated price without having to perform the ritual of the dealership dance.

I’m certainly not buying another one at this point, but Tesla’s buying process was the least-stressful I’ve ever experienced, and I’m consistently dumbfounded that other auto manufacturers gently caress around with dealerships at all at this point (other than in those US states that require them :wtf:).

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Elephanthead posted:

Last I read car manufacturers have severely cut down on new car production after the pandemic and have no plans to ramp up volume anytime soon since it’s more predictable to make huge profit on low volume rather than small profit on big volume.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

LanceHunter posted:

"Communal torture"? This post is easily the most car-brained thing I have ever seen in this thread.

I'm not the person you quoted obviously but they're right. The wisdom of the original argument is that you charge money and people seek alternate solutions. The way it's implemented is we charge money and offer no alternate solutions. We get lanes that cost money, and the same traffic on less lanes, with the added congestion of people merging in and out of lanes.

I think the reaction is different if the solution is adding a dedicated bus lane and a network of public transport that is useful. Or cutting a parking lane or driving lane in exchange for a protected bike lane that goes through a useful distance or direction.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

laxbro posted:

Last I read car manufacturers have severely cut down on new car production after the pandemic and have no plans to ramp up volume anytime soon since it’s more predictable to make huge profit on low volume rather than small profit on big volume.

thats just a cartel. like other putative cartels, defection is easy and you need violence to back it up. opec has violence so they still exist, but where are the car makers armies?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

They buy off legislators who can employ force on their behalf.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Blue Moonlight posted:

I’m certainly not buying another one at this point, but Tesla’s buying process was the least-stressful I’ve ever experienced, and I’m consistently dumbfounded that other auto manufacturers gently caress around with dealerships at all at this point (other than in those US states that require them :wtf:).

Turns out if you buy a car for twice what it’s actually worth, they treat you nice.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Residency Evil posted:

When does the bust happen? Because it seems like things are still going to be hosed in to 2024.

The bust also means prices go up

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Guest2553 posted:

They buy off legislators who can employ force on their behalf.

then defection is cheaping out on legislators

or keeping new production a secret

or lotsa other stuff

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 3, 2023

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Midjack posted:

The golden age of being able to email the internet sales manager and have the deal done before you set foot in the place seems to be tragically behind us.

Dunno if it's super GWM but i bought my car (new) using my credit union's car buying service just by emailing the service with what I wanted. They dealt with a fleet dealer a couple hours away, got me a price and it got delivered to my door.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

opec has violence

And rampant cheating.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

StormDrain posted:

We get lanes that cost money, and the same traffic on less lanes, with the added congestion of people merging in and out of lanes.

And the cameras are really easy to spot so I'll frequently see a car cruise past me in the express lane only to jerk over into the regular lanes immediately before the camera (bringing us from a steady 40mph to 0) and then jump back in as soon as they pass it.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

laxbro posted:

I work for an automotive supplier so I'm pretty familiar with ~stuff~.

It's obviously a very complex issue and of course money and greed comes into it. But, we all know ICE is dead. It's not a matter of if but when. California has a 0 new ICE vehicle sale mandate by 2035. This is the same in Germany and some other European countries. The writing is on the wall.

So, in preparation for that, everyone - OEMs and suppliers - have to pivot. In that pivot, some suppliers have decided to just wholesale withdraw from some of their business altogether. Okay, so now there's fewer parts being made and sold. Auto maker goes to a competitor supplier and says, "Hey, lucky you! How would you like to sell us more stuff?" and competitor supplier says, "Ehhhhhhh..."

Because they're already near or at capacity. To take on that new business, they'd have to invest in additional lines - all for what? A couple years of business and then...? So if the OEM really really wants those parts, it's going to cost them a LOT. Naturally, they don't want to pay it. So they don't get parts. And if they don't get parts, cars don't get made.

There's a lot more stuff going on, of course, but that's just one example of how the automotive industry is changing.

...I thought this was the AI thread.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
New Yorker moves to Texas, buys some cowboy boots, and takes the religious locals for all they’re worth.

The Texas Preacher’s $24 Million Ponzi Scheme
https://archive.ph/D6q27

quote:

Gallagher positioned himself as a former insider who’d repented for his Wall Street past and could share with clients what others didn’t want them to know. “We don’t work for Los Angeles, Chicago,” he said. Even as he repudiated academia, he emphasized his Ph.D., referring to himself, in an evocation of his advanced degree and the Wild West, as “Doc” Gallagher. Books such as Jesus Christ, Money Master: Four Eternal Truths That Deliver Personal Power and Profit and The Money Doctor’s Guide to Taking Care of Yourself When No One Else Will provided a patina of intellectualism. Photo ops with figures including Joel Osteen, Nolan Ryan and Dallas real estate doyenne Ebby Halliday endeared him to his clientele.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

doingitwrong posted:

New Yorker moves to Texas, buys some cowboy boots, and takes the religious locals for all they’re worth.

Now that's a grift. (And a good read.)

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

doingitwrong posted:

The funniest part about this story is that the Ponzi was only promising a 5% return.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

mrmcd posted:

The funniest part about this story is that the Ponzi was only promising a 5% return.

Listen, down there in Texas, they don't make the kind of ridiculous promises they make in those fancy NYC liberal ponzi schemes: this is God's country.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

ahh yes, Jesus Christ that well known money master

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

mrmcd posted:

I mean, this actually seems like some galaxy brain thinking on the scammer’s part. If you can set the marks’ expectations low enough to accept a 5% return, you can (theoretically) keep the ponzi going a lot longer than if you’re having to pay out 10 or 20 percent.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

AceClown posted:

ahh yes, Jesus Christ that well known money master

We all remember the story when Jesus saw the money changers in the temple and said "Yes! We need more of this!"

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
BWM - Me, my hot water heater just went out and needs to be replaced, and it physically pained me to transfer funds from my high yield savings to pay for it, despite understanding the interest I'd pay financing the replacement would far outstrip the money I'm making in savings. Humans are just bad at abstract poo poo.

drat these rates are nice right now. I'm a point from beating inflation.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

StormDrain posted:

I'm not the person you quoted obviously but they're right. The wisdom of the original argument is that you charge money and people seek alternate solutions. The way it's implemented is we charge money and offer no alternate solutions.
My original post explicitly called out the need for any implementation to couple the cost imposition with a strengthening of the alternatives, so the gently caress you poster they're responding to was completely ignoring that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

laxbro posted:

If OEMs could make more cars, they would.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If OEMs could make more cars, they would.

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1642868770145284096

If Tesla's books are accurate and they have the biggest gross and net profits around, they have a ton of room to come down on price and are about to have more manufacturing capacity than they know what to do with.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1642868770145284096

If Tesla's books are accurate and they have the biggest gross and net profits around, they have a ton of room to come down on price and are about to have more manufacturing capacity than they know what to do with.

Tesla's books are not accurate and they do not have the biggest gross/net profits.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

load bearing if

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

And even if that's all true you're counting on Elon to make a good business decision which seems a bit much to expect right now.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I would joke that an extensive history of tweeting nice things about Elon could get you favorable pricing and financing terms on a Tesla, but thats not out of the realm of possibility anymore.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

We all remember the story when Jesus saw the money changers in the temple and said "Yes! We need more of this!"

Jesus hashes for your sins

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

doingitwrong posted:

My white collar criminal education is relegated to watching a LOT of American Greed and reading the occasional article, but that type of grift truly makes my blood boil. I’m from Texas, and I hate most of that state with a burning passion, but every time I read about women like the first woman interviewed, it reminds me of the time a for profit college tried to scam my mom into taking out massive loans to go back to finish her undergrad. This was after she was laid off from her job of 30 years and struggling with the realities there. And it’s like…why? I may not agree with everyone’s politics or religion, but surely people deserve to at least live with the dignity that they have earned, right? Whether it’s my mom or someone else’s, taking that away because a mark is desperate for the humanity they should be afforded by living in this “first world country,” and…

I don’t know. I hope that guy dies painfully in jail, never again knowing human compassion because good god he doesn’t deserve it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I'm not sure whether stealing $50,000 from a Mexican cartel and then bragging about it, or just bragging about it without doing it is worse with money.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/state/texas/article273913990.html

quote:

A Texas man bragged about stealing money from a Mexican cartel and believed he was safe from retribution in the United States — but now he’s missing, according to the FBI.

Erik Tadeo Ramirez was last seen trying to escape from a moving pickup truck as it crossed the Juarez-Lincoln International Bridge in Laredo, Texas, according to a criminal complaint filed by the FBI.

A March 24 video recording captured a man with a bloodied face in the passenger seat of a blue Dodge Ram with several other men at 1:09 a.m. He opens the door and tries to jump out, but the men grab him and pull him back inside, officials said in the complaint. The truck blows past the bridge attendant and heads into Mexico, leaving a blood-stained shirt and pair of pants along the road, according to the complaint.

Hours earlier, Ramirez was boastful, witnesses told investigators. They overheard him talking on the phone at 11 p.m. during a party at a home in Laredo, telling an unknown woman he’d stolen $50,000 from Cartel Del Noreste, according to documents.

He told the woman he wasn’t scared of her, that he didn’t fear retribution because he was in the United States, witnesses said.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Elephanthead posted:

Please, no George R R Martin idioms

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Please, no George R R Martin idioms

"Much and more" - 45

"Little and less" - 17

"Many and more" - 23

"Half a hundred" - 72

"Half a heartbeat" - 71

"Words are Wind" - 21

"It is known" - 20

"Near enough as makes no matter" - 2

"Would that I could" - 22

"Must needs" - 50

"Nipples on a breastplate" - 3

"Is/was not like to" - 69

"Clout on the ear" - 3

"Jape" - 106

"Mummery" - 9

"Mummer's farce" - 21

"Mayhaps" - 56

"Nuncle" - 40

"Man/woman grown" - 72

"Seven hells" - 53

"Gods be good" - 57

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Phanatic posted:

I'm not sure whether stealing $50,000 from a Mexican cartel and then bragging about it, or just bragging about it without doing it is worse with money.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/state/texas/article273913990.html

this seems like an extremely bad idea to dare a crime ring to do something where their jurisdiction is separated by a bridge

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

"Much and more" - 45

"Little and less" - 17

"Many and more" - 23

"Half a hundred" - 72

Yes, but what of biting thumbs and cows copulating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
I've been wading my way through this thread and am still several hundred pages back, reading posts from 2021, and came across this:

I was quite puzzled when I noticed the Astro was predicted for release by the end of 2021, because I'd never heard of it. Even when I Googled it, it took a while for me to be convinced that it is actually a thing that has been available for sale for over a year. Nobody's talking about it at all. Even the Wikipedia article about it is pitiful.