Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Penitent posted:

The Writers: "Okay... so after the big villain reveal the whole space club goes back home to celebrate Star Trek day and Picard gives a big speech... I think that's a good place to stop for lunch. Throw it to the interns to look up the right Star Trek words to fill in the important bits."

But the writers and the interns already are the same thing though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Craptacular! posted:

I'm going to put my bet down on the Mystery Face: It's the elder Jack Crusher. And that's why they're doing the work in the first half of the season to remind everyone that Picard's closest friend is someone who was dead before TNG even started.

I love this and to make it extra dumb he is part of Armus because they got how he and Tasha died mixed up

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I just can’t believe they’re really going to

- reveal Jack’s mystery vision poo poo
- introduce the actual big bad of the season
- explain their motivation
- explain their plan
- enact their plan
- have the heroes figure out their plan
- have the heroes stop their plan
- resolve Jack’s mystery vision poo poo

all within the last three episodes of a ten episode season, just so they can string out one last mystery and preserve at least one last twist reveal.

The pacing of this season’s actual overarching plot is a loving nightmare.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I'm midway through Enterprise season 3, and having just watched Similitude (aka the one where they grow a spare sentient but short-lived Trip to harvest his brain and save real Trip) I realized that what's missing from Picard from my perspective are stories or ideas that are actually explored in depth and have ethical or moral implications. A lot of my favourite Trek episodes involve a moral conundrum which the crew and viewers have to wrestle with. I guess those situations are harder to do in a serialized show but it seems like the folks behind Picard can't even be bothered to explore the implications of the ideas they're coming up with before they rush on to the next thing. There's a Romulan migrant crisis! Sorry we have important business in space. Picard's a robot now! Let's barely mention this again. We have Vadic captive! Let's have a five second discussion about whether we should execute her. There are sometimes meaningful stakes for the characters or the universe as a whole but overall things feel pretty weightless.

I could do with less "wait til you see what's next!" and more processing meaningful events or issues.
Pretty much my feelings re: Picard. Star Trek was originally created to be, and generally was, a series of morality plays wrapped up in a disguise of outer space adventure. I can't remember whether it was in The Making Of Star Trek or David Gerrold's first book, but there was a line about how the stories shouldn't be "Kirk does a thing" but "Kirk has a decision to make". The debate leading up to that decision and the reaction to its consequences is the story, whatever the action going on around it.

That's not Picard. Picard is "this happens, then this happens, then THIS happens, and look who's back!, and this happens, and THIS happens, and..." They locked themselves into making ten-episode stories without really working out the story in the first place (or at all, in season 2's case). It's written like the bad seasons of 24 where they're flinging down pieces of track from the cowcatcher of the speeding train.

"Do I have the right to execute a prisoner for threatening the life of my child?" should be the Big Decision of an entire episode. But it's dealt with in 15 seconds and concludes "Yeah, waste 'em" because c'mon, we got other poo poo going on.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 3, 2023

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

He really is elon musk

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's like Star Trek Picard is doing everything wrong on purpose. How can they not know how terrible it is?

Also why was a mysterious whistled tune a part of two completely unrelated minor plot points two episodes in a row? It's like a mistake ChatGPT would make.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Anyway I'm watching DS9 again instead and recently started playing Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Fallen, the PC game from 2000. No Avery Brooks or Colm Meaney and the stand ins are disappointments, but everyone else is there and the game has a lot of ambition. You can use your tricorder to get energy readings from shields and adjust the frequency of your phaser to shoot through them, feels very Star Trekky! A shame it isn't first person, third person Unreal engine games feel a bit stodgy to play.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

My prediction on how Picard will end:
Just as we get to the final face off between Talking Head and Picard, we hear "Computer, End Programme!" and see Riker walk into the holodeck followed by Irish Romulan Lady scolding him for prematurely ending the holodeck therapy session while she wheels Picard back to his room, which is decorated like Chateau Picard. Riker looks on sadly as he realises just how far Picard's dementia has progressed and then leaves the nursing home.

Eighties ZomCom fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Apr 3, 2023

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Eighties ZomCom posted:

My prediction on how Picard will end:
Just as we get to the final face off between Talking Head and Picard, we hear "Computer, End Programme!" and see Riker walk into the holodeck followed by Irish Romulan Lady scolding him for prematurely ending the holodeck therapy session while she wheels Picard back to his room, which is decorated like Chateau Picard. Riker looks on sadly as he realises just how far Picard's has progressed and then leaves the nursing home.

And then it turns that THIS in turn is a dementia dream of senile Professor X from Logan.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The events in Nemesis never happened. Picard has been in a coma for decades after rolling the dune buggy on Kolarus III.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Spoiler: handface is Picard's housekeeper.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

SCheeseman posted:

It's like Star Trek Picard is doing everything wrong on purpose. How can they not know how terrible it is?

Also why was a mysterious whistled tune a part of two completely unrelated minor plot points two episodes in a row? It's like a mistake ChatGPT would make.

...Holy poo poo it just clicked for me, because I woke up with my brain tuned in to the "Idiot who thinks he's clever" frequency:

It IS loving Lore. He IS the wierd meat face. He's manipulating the Changelings. He let them out and gave them purpose from Daystrom, he's also overriding Data while sabatoging their efforts. He's just doing this all to gently caress with Picard and destroy the federation for the lols. It's why he's loving with the Titan's systems.

The Daystrom heist was an inside job :tinfoil:

That's the big reveal, because the "twist" is so stupid.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

gently caress I think you're right. I can feel it in my idiot gut sense.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Considering that would explain a lot of stupidity, yeah, that tracks.

Stupidity explaining stupidity. Truly the most Picard show of Picard show attributes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm surprised they haven't had Spiner do the Andy Serkis special and do a conversation between Lore and Data.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lmao if the Genius that is Terry Matalas recreated TNG Descent but with Changelings instead of Borg for Lore pawns.

I'm not saying that's WHAT it is, that's just my theory

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Picard should be like "Look dude when we found you were embraced you with open arms and would have taken you to earth where you could write your own ticket and do whatever you wanted, you tried to feed us to a giant crystal. If it was about survival you would have just gone with us and lived a live of luxury."

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Oh God it fits too well. Lore is going to take over the whole linked fleet at the Holiday he just made up and gave the Changelings to spread in Starfleet, then sit back and LOL as the Federation destroys itself, and he blames it on Picard, maybe? He's probably going to betray the Changelings too, because who are a bunch of wierd organic soup monsters to call themselves gods before him?

I still have no idea where Jack Crusher fits or what the Professor X powers are though, that poo poo is even more stupid.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 3, 2023

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

Oh God it fits too well. Lore is going to take over the whole linked fleet at the Holiday he just made up and gave the Changelings to spread in Starfleet, then sit back and LOL as the Federation destroys itself, and he blames it on Picard, maybe? He's probably going to betray the Changelings too, because who are a bunch of wierd organic soup monsters to call themselves gods before him?

I still have no idea where Jack Crusher fits or what the Professor X powers are though, that poo poo is even more stupid.

Dr. Soong was the Dr. that treated Picard's mom, and implanted her with a biological copy of himself to try to treat her insanity. This was passed down to and presented as a disease in Picard. It's now in Jack, passed though Picard's genes. Lore is going to extract the genetic copy of Dr. Soong for reasons.

That's right - Soong is back, again!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Oops! All Soongs

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It would be so funny if they had to kill Data for some cheap pathos again, just doomed to continually be bought back to life only to be immediately killed off again

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If you wanted Lore to be the villain the of season then the obvious evil plot is that he wants to take over Picard's top-model android body. That's the story you write and then you can have all those classic star trek 'scenes taking place entirely in a character's head but using the standard sets and the cast representing aspects of themselves' vignettes you want.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

TulliusCicero posted:

Lmao if the Genius that is Terry Matalas recreated TNG Descent but with Changelings instead of Borg for Lore pawns.

I'm not saying that's WHAT it is, that's just my theory

It's dumb enough to be true and makes way too much sense.

With Lore being the core of the Daystrom Institute's security measures, of course he could set the Changelings free and give them access to the portal device.

Then he set things in motion to make sure the very people he wants to destroy are the ones who later release him from the Institute, because even monsters like a good laugh. Also, having the Chagelings release him it right away as they escaped would set off every Starfleet alarm.

Or it's a completely new character we've never seen before and they won't be introduced until the end of episode 9.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 3, 2023

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's dumb enough to be true and makes way too much sense.

With Lore being the core of the Daystrom Institute's security measures, of course he could set the Changelings free and give them access to the portal device.

Then he set things in motion to make sure the very people he wants to destroy are the ones who later release him from the Institute, because even monster like a good laugh. Also, having the Chagelings do it right away would set off every Starfleet alarm.

Lmao at giving a loving Narcissistic Genius Homicidal maniac with an estimated kill count in the possible thousands to millions from the Crystalline Entity, and Starfleet being like "Hmmm you seem really smart, run our top secret research security for us, what could possibly go wrong?!"

Like I know he's partitioned in the same body as Data but gently caress me is that stupid too

Why archive Lore at all? He's an evil piece of poo poo who has never done one redeeming action in his life: it's why he's a great campy villain, but reactivate him?!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Or -- hear me out -- it's Khan again.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
When we thought it was going to be Moriarty, I could understand it. For all his murderous vanity, he's a man of learning.

He'd love to be there with all the greatest mysteries and knowledge of the far future. And inventively killing anyone trying to break in.

But Lore? loving Lore?

It's like having hungry lions take care of newborn babies. Sure, no one is going to be stealing any babies any time soon, but goddamn.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Remind me, where is OG Lore again? He got deactivated at the end of that TNG Borg two parter, but they didn't like chuck him out an airlock after. So is it possible that Section 31 got their hands on him and reactivated him and now he's working with Old Man Datalore?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Alchenar posted:

If you wanted Lore to be the villain the of season then the obvious evil plot is that he wants to take over Picard's top-model android body. That's the story you write and then you can have all those classic star trek 'scenes taking place entirely in a character's head but using the standard sets and the cast representing aspects of themselves' vignettes you want.

Why would Lore ever want to be in an old man body? The dude is vain as gently caress.

Plus Picard has none of the enhanced features Lore has as an Android, he already thinks he's a God.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Remind me, where is OG Lore again? He got deactivated at the end of that TNG Borg two parter, but they didn't like chuck him out an airlock after. So is it possible that Section 31 got their hands on him and reactivated him and now he's working with Old Man Datalore?

He got deactivated at the end of Descent yeah. Why you would EVER reactivate him is beyond me. B4 going wacko and becoming Lore 2.0 makes more sense than that. Again, he is a MURDERER OF POSSIBLE THOUSANDS/ MILLIONS.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Because reactivating a genocidal android and thinking they can control him sounds like something Nu Trek Section 31 would do. :v:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Like let's not forget that they recruited the Terran Empress and an ex-Klingon martyr who was at least partly responsible for the war against the Federation. So anything is possible.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Megillah Gorilla posted:

When we thought it was going to be Moriarty, I could understand it. For all his murderous vanity, he's a man of learning.

He'd love to be there with all the greatest mysteries and knowledge of the far future. And inventively killing anyone trying to break in.

But Lore? loving Lore?

It's like having hungry lions take care of newborn babies. Sure, no one is going to be stealing any babies any time soon, but goddamn.

In a well written Star Trek show I can see your point about Moriarty: he'd love the job and do it well.

The sad thing about all this poo poo is YOU could make some of these plot points in Picard fun and work. Bringing back Lore and the Changelings for the Wrath of Lore is fine, if everything actually works. Q wanting to help Picard appreciate life before he dies/ passes on whatever COULD work.

Romulan secret police more secret than the other secret police sabatoge their own people's rescue so that they can destroy Androids and stop a big evil Metal Octopus from another dimension coulddddddddd wwhaaaaaattttt whyyyyyyyy-

I'm sorry I think I had a stroke there. The point is the dumb poo poo in this show besides S1 could loving work in a good Star Trek show, it's like they just spit out an interesting concept and plot it in the laziest stupid way possible.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Picard S3 had like 3 1/2 good episodes in the Nebula
Picard S2 had like, 1 1/2 good episodes with Q/ Borg Queen Agnes shenanigans
Picard S1 is an utter Dumpsterfire and might be the worst completed work of Television writing I've ever loving seen

...progress?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Ever since Disco S1 the live-action Trek writing process has been to create a bunch of cool stuff they want to see in a new Star Trek show, then work backwards from there to string them together into a plot, which is why every Disco and PIC season has a slow, plodding first half that continuously introduces new plot threads, a really confusing transition to the final act where all the plot threads collide, then a mad rush to tie up all the mystery loose ends in the last episode or two

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

The Chairman posted:

Ever since Disco S1 the live-action Trek writing process has been to create a bunch of cool stuff they want to see in a new Star Trek show, then work backwards from there to string them together into a plot, which is why every Disco and PIC season has a slow, plodding first half that continuously introduces new plot threads, a really confusing transition to the final act where all the plot threads collide, then a mad rush to tie up all the mystery loose ends in the last episode or two

This is pretty much exactly what happened, and it’s obvious. It’s a combination of production staff that want to see certain elements in Trek to attract a modern audience, and old Trek nerds who ended up on the team who now have a chance to exert power and introduce “all the cool stuff”** they wanted to see Trek do when they were growing up with it.

** It was not, in fact, cool.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

TulliusCicero posted:

I’m not going to ask you to torture yourself and go back and watch those again, but I think if you did, you’d walk away with a bad taste in your mouth. They weren’t very good at all. They had scattered moments, but from a storytelling perspective they were all a mess.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

Picard S2 had like, 1 1/2 good episodes with Q/ Borg Queen Agnes shenanigans
Picard S1 is an utter Dumpsterfire and might be the worst completed work of Television writing I've ever loving seen

...progress?

Nepenthe was a good Season 1 episode. Probably the only one, but don't deny it its due.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

ashpanash posted:

I’m not going to ask you to torture yourself and go back and watch those again, but I think if you did, you’d walk away with a bad taste in your mouth. They weren’t very good at all. They had scattered moments, but from a storytelling perspective they were all a mess.

I mean the existence of Jack Crusher already docks that points, I just thought all the stuff on the Titan In the Nebula was mostly fine to good, the fight was inventive if just a homage to Wrath of Khan, and the ending of that being the Nebula is home to the Encounter from Farpoint Jellyfish was a nice touch.

I have no illusion that it was great though. In some of the Titan Nebula stuff there was a glimmer of hope in Star Trek Picard turning into Star Trek, and then it died. I think that's a shame.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Nepenthe was a good Season 1 episode. Probably the only one, but don't deny it its due.

That's the one with Riker and Troi right? That stuff was good, but that episode also did the loving awful Mass Effect suicide vision, so I docked it for that.

If it was just Picard, Soji, and Riker, Troi (and had any lasting stakes) discussing family in a log cabin that would be great.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 3, 2023

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The big bad is Trelane because why the gently caress not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

It's that hot wierd lady who impersonated Satan to a planet and wanted to make Picard her love slave

Audra I think? It's her