Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Finnish YLE, paraphrasing Reuters, is reporting that Russian milblogger Vladlen Tatarsky (Maxim Fomin) was killed by an explosion in a cafe in St. Petersburg where he was giving a speech. I'm not familiar with the milbloggers, is this guy notable enough in any way to warrant being blown up, or could this just be a conincidental accident?
According to Tass, he was given a statue with bomb hidden inside which then exploded in his hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
It's hard to say exactly how notable he was, but he was EXTREMELY unrepentant about Russian war crimes, glorying in how it was awesome that they could "rob and kill everyone they wanted" because they were in charge now.

https://twitter.com/mjluxmoore/status/1575850093995257856

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Stubb Dogg posted:

According to Tass, he was given a statue with bomb hidden inside which then exploded in his hands.

I guess his apartment was on the ground floor?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Cimber posted:

I guess his apartment was on the ground floor?

https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/1642563446657933315?s=20

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Ugh.

I was more going that he could not fall down stairs or out his window.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
No violence but moments before disaster
https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1642566731141971973

Borscht fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 3, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

do be aware there's a video going around of....the aftermath too

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Yeah, not sure I want to watch that clip, even if nothing happens in it.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Crab Dad posted:

The crew survived amazing.

Holy poo poo, you weren't kidding

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
"Holy poo poo, You weren't kidding" is everything about that clip.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Cimber posted:

Yeah, not sure I want to watch that clip, even if nothing happens in it.

I'm not sure how much of a mess 200g of tnt (is that likely? Is tnt even used any more?) Makes but I take it everyone else in that cafe had a very bad day? That's...grim.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Roblo posted:

I'm not sure how much of a mess 200g of tnt (is that likely? Is tnt even used any more?) Makes but I take it everyone else in that cafe had a very bad day? That's...grim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja1xqzBnpas

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Roblo posted:

TNT is still the primary explosive in most munitions, although it may be mixed with others like RDX. It's stable and high explosive, so it's pretty ideal for military applications.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Doesn't a grenade have about 180g/6 ounces of explosive in it? So it'd be about as powerful as a grenade and dude was probably holding it or sitting next to it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Crab Dad posted:

The crew survived amazing.

guess it hit the fuel in the back so no carousel cookoff?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Nessus posted:

Doesn't a grenade have about 180g/6 ounces of explosive in it? So it'd be about as powerful as a grenade and dude was probably holding it or sitting next to it.

There was a video of the outside of the cafe that i saw, and the entire front of the cafe seemed to fall apart with part of the roof collapsing. Not having dealt with explosives before I can't say if a slightly more powerful hand grenade would do that or not, but I'd guess not.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah that didn't look grenade-sized at all from the video. It was a massive orangey explosion that blew out half a block of windows.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
This (safe for work) video of a lighter fluid bottle exploding in a laundromat dryer wreaked much more havoc than I expected. I don't know its explosive equivalent but I would be surprised if it was more than a grenade

https://www.reddit.com/r/Unexpected/comments/129fcns/laundering_day/

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I suspect its because grenades tend to use a specific construction where instead of a kaboom they're designed to convert that energy efficiently into many high speed pieces of metal. Less boom leftover for pyrotechnics in a grenade.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

M_Gargantua posted:

I suspect its because grenades tend to use a specific construction where instead of a kaboom they're designed to convert that energy efficiently into many high speed pieces of metal. Less boom leftover for pyrotechnics in a grenade.

Also factor in that the explosion occurred in a confined space and the blast wave reflected off walls?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cimber posted:

Also factor in that the explosion occurred in a confined space and the blast wave reflected off walls?

There's a massive difference between an explosion in a confined space and an explosion in an open field. If you atomized a bunch of grain and set it ablaze outside it'd be an interesting but brief gout of flame. Replicate the exact same conditions inside of a grain silo and you potentially have a mass casualty event. It's the same for high explosives, only more so.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

There's a massive difference between an explosion in a confined space and an explosion in an open field. If you atomized a bunch of grain and set it ablaze outside it'd be an interesting but brief gout of flame. Replicate the exact same conditions inside of a grain silo and you potentially have a mass casualty event. It's the same for high explosives, only more so.

So would you say that 20g of TNT would produce an explosion as depicted in the videos of the shopfront?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cimber posted:

So would you say that 20g of TNT would produce an explosion as depicted in the videos of the shopfront?

The number being thrown around is 200 grams, not 20.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It's been a minute since I did demo, but I seem to recall a pound of TNT producing a pretty big explosion. 200g is about a half pound, and more than enough to kill someone standing next to it, especially if there's fragmentation from some kind of enclosure.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Here's a better question, who pulled 200g out of their hat? Is that a deduction backwards from blast effect or volumetrics from whatever the gently caress it was stuffed in?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
I could probably make that scientific wild-rear end guess from blast effects and size of the thingy yeah.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Second part of the T-section battle came out. The tank crushes the trench, soldiers down there are concussed or dead and don't move when the tank closes in. They don't have any AT grenades or anything to deal with the tank. It doesn't turn on top of them like the tanks in WW2, but goes back and forth. The bmp dismounts infantry. One guy in the dugout seems to have survived. UA soldiers are seen taking care of somebody. Judging from where the smoke that comes down on the far side back, it looks like there's russian positions that have a line of sight on that spot. The trench is gone in the end.

I don't think it's safe to show it here.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Having used gelignite back in the day when you didn't need a license to blow trees out of the ground, I can tell you for an absolute fact that anyone near that is fuckin' dead.

200 grams is pretty much a full stick, maybe a bit more.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

not caring here posted:

Having used gelignite back in the day when you didn't need a license to blow trees out of the ground, I can tell you for an absolute fact that anyone near that is fuckin' dead.

That dashcam video showing all the windows jumping out of their frames from the air overpressure says to me that anyone not already hosed up by the explosion is also having a bad, bad day.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Overpressure is a motherfucker. One of the more interesting things that can happen is that the person looks most whole, but are a bag of melted jello. Their bones and skin might be intact, but the soft bits tenderized.
Besides the fact it can kill, it does all sorts of bad poo poo to the body if you survive. Brain damage, organ damage (There are some studies to support the theory that exposure to overpressure cause long lasting breathing and GI tract problems- but there are always other issues so it becomes like PTSD/TBI: where does one end, and the other begin? ), ripping up your sinus cavity, causing eyeballs to rupture.

If you're lucky, you end up mostly functional. If you are less so, you end up locked in your own brain, unable to communicate.

Tried to avoid being blown up. It's kinda ungood for you.

Because this seems like a reasonable place to share this- according to the Soviet accounts from the Afghan War, after deploying thermobarics into caves/dugouts/bunkers, they would find dudes with their lungs pulled out through their mouths. It was in one of Grau's books, I believe the Soviet General Staff College's "Soviet Afghan War"

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

I mean, the explosion's in some kind of cafe or bar, right? Highly likely they've got gas for cooking, at least, so the initial blast of the statue might have just ignited other stuff that resulted in the effect we see in the video.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hypnobeard posted:

I mean, the explosion's in some kind of cafe or bar, right? Highly likely they've got gas for cooking, at least, so the initial blast of the statue might have just ignited other stuff that resulted in the effect we see in the video.

That doesn't appear to be what happens in the video though. Secondaries are usually pretty visible as secondaries. And with a gas line there'd need to be time for the gas to leak into the room and mix properly to explode. A gas line is full of gas and has no oxygen in it.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

CainFortea posted:

That doesn't appear to be what happens in the video though. Secondaries are usually pretty visible as secondaries. And with a gas line there'd need to be time for the gas to leak into the room and mix properly to explode. A gas line is full of gas and has no oxygen in it.

Fair 'nough.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

not caring here posted:

what about geligma

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

what about geligma

Commonly used by the Sugondese army

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Tunicate posted:

Commonly used by the Sugondese army

Mostly by soldiers in the GARGLON unit, whose call/response when saluting is “GARGLON BOFA” and “DEEZ NUTZ!”, respectively.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
There was a booth selling geligma at SAW CON last year

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Fragrag posted:

This (safe for work) video of a lighter fluid bottle exploding in a laundromat dryer wreaked much more havoc than I expected. I don't know its explosive equivalent but I would be surprised if it was more than a grenade

https://www.reddit.com/r/Unexpected/comments/129fcns/laundering_day/

Bear in mind that fuel explosions produce fireballs like that while high explosive, like in a grenade, typically does not. There's one short, sharp BANG without fire and flame.

The big, impressive fireballs you see from military weapons in movies are done using gasoline, to make them look big and impressive.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I've said many times before (possibly in this thread) grenades look unimpressive when they go off.
The results they produce are ghastly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

bulletsponge13 posted:

I've said many times before (possibly in this thread) grenades look unimpressive when they go off.
The results they produce are ghastly.

shrapnel bad