Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Are subtitles a game option, a sound option, a graphics option, or an accessibility option?

Hell, there are times when I'm listening to an audiodrama that I want subtitles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it would be cool if games let you choose to enable per object motion blur and full screen motion blur separately, but they don't so it stays off

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I'll finally post this video.
https://youtu.be/VXIrSTMgJ9s

In short, older motion blur techniques give the motion blur a bad rep. You will not see a necessary number of FPS in games for your eyes to perceive them in motion. Camera motion blur is still often wonky and when people say they don't like motion blur they often don't realize per-object motion blur exists and many games managed to make it look great.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

dogstile posted:

Yes

Legitimately just put it in every single menu, gently caress it.

Same but choice of which monitor to display on…multiple monitors are way more common than they used to be.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ilitarist posted:

I'll finally post this video.
https://youtu.be/VXIrSTMgJ9s

In short, older motion blur techniques give the motion blur a bad rep. You will not see a necessary number of FPS in games for your eyes to perceive them in motion. Camera motion blur is still often wonky and when people say they don't like motion blur they often don't realize per-object motion blur exists and many games managed to make it look great.

This is fine but i'm not gonna make myself feel sick on x amount of random games just for it to look marginally better in y amount. I'm not that big of a graphcis snob.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Are subtitles a game option, a sound option, a graphics option, or an accessibility option?

its a display option

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"
Amazon Prime free games are up for April, highlights are Wolfenstein: The New Order and Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition

https://primegaming.blog/prime-gaming-april-content-update-wolfenstein-the-new-order-headlines-with-15-free-games-ef76e84c1978

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Proletarian Mango posted:

its a display option

It's a difficulty option

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Good games put it in every applicable menu.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A great game has subtitles toggle on the a button.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
*Publisher logo runs by*

*Middleware licensing and health info screen fades*

*Title screen drops*

"Press A to subtitle"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

The first thing a PC game should display when first run is the shortlist of mostly y/n toggles.

Subtitles
maybe subtitle/audio language?
Motion Blur
Depth of Field
Fullscreen/Borderless/Windowed
Maybe some volume sliders for SFX/voice/music
The option to go to a more detailed menu for video/graphics options

Okay now start the opening cinematic

stringless fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 4, 2023

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Don't know why you find this funny. It's a reasonable expectation to launch the game, set all the options you need, and only then start the actual game, see the introduction and all that.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
That’s the game launcher.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The best games launch in a small window and don't let you even access the options menu for 10 minutes because they just go straight into the game itself and you have to complete the tutorial before it unlocks all the keys.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The best games launch in a small window and don't let you even access the options menu for 10 minutes because they just go straight into the game itself and you have to complete the tutorial before it unlocks all the keys.

At Fullscreen 640x480 in a game made in 2022.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

FFT posted:

The first thing a PC game should display when first run is the shortlist of mostly y/n toggles.

Subtitles
Motion Blur
Depth of Field

Invert Y-axis

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
That's actually handled when they ask chief to look at lights. Whatever you do moves the camera up. You can bind look up to the A button if you really want.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

You somehow finish the tutorial where you weren't able to read anything, change the graphics, then have to figure out how to delete the autosave file from the cloud so you can replay it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nyaa posted:

That’s the game launcher.

And? :colbert:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Creating a 2K account just to launch borderless fullscreen.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh no, I don't mean that kind of launcher.

I mean the old-school style bespoke launcher that would come up when you popped the game CD into your computer. We need to bring those back, even if it's just like a first-time setup.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I know what you meant but those died. Honestly that's fine too, games are now robust enough inside that changing anti aliasing no longer requires a restart and they also no longer have to support three different renderers.

Wait.....

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh no, I don't mean that kind of launcher.

I mean the old-school style bespoke launcher that would come up when you popped the game CD into your computer. We need to bring those back, even if it's just like a first-time setup.

autorun.inf

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I mean as someone who routinely plays old games from like 20 years ago on an ultra wide monitor I am constantly immersed in the "glory days" of ini and cfg edits if not outright hex editing sometimes.

I don't really miss it like I thought I might.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I know what you meant but those died. Honestly that's fine too, games are now robust enough inside that changing anti aliasing no longer requires a restart and they also no longer have to support three different renderers.

Wait.....

Remembering how i had to use command prompt lines to get FF7 Remake to run in DirectX11 instead of 12 and then also download a 3rd party DLL injected Vulkan renderer wrapper for DirectX11 so i can finally play it stutter free

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Did it ever load That One Door Texture?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I just started a new playthrough of the original Deus Ex. The game is appallingly dark on modern systems and the brightness adjuster does nothing except in maybe, maybe one rendering mode which isn't listed by default.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

I just started a new playthrough of the original Deus Ex. The game is appallingly dark on modern systems and the brightness adjuster does nothing except in maybe, maybe one rendering mode which isn't listed by default.

1. *smacks lips* Sounds like a you problem, personally.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

2. that's terror

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
3. Do you have even ONE picture to back that up?

(use kentie's launcher)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Creating a 2K account just to launch borderless fullscreen.

Buy the Pro Gamer Battle Pass to unlock the ability to invert mouse, use ESDF, and to bind Move Forward to Mouse1.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

FFT posted:

Subtitles
Motion Blur
Depth of Field

or every pc game should auto-configure to recommended settings and let me reconfigure the graphics settings if it starts up into gameplay

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If I have a 1440p monitor and your game launches directly into an opening cutscene or gameplay where I can't get to the settings and is running at 720p or 1080p, you should go to prison.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
imprison those without 1080p monitors imo

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I can't use Kentie's launcher as I am using a mod that is not compatible with it. I used the Glide renderer and changed the resolution in the .ini file and it is playable.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I want a modern game that launches at 640 x 480 just to gently caress with people

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

ZeusCannon posted:

I want a modern game that launches at 640 x 480 just to gently caress with people

like every switch game

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ZeusCannon posted:

Last night I played a modern game that launches and stays at 176 x 184. ("Pentagorat")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

ZeusCannon posted:

Elden ring had a bug that made it do that randomly. It was hilarious every time it happened to a streamer.