Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Mr. Pickles posted:

I was searching for the blockchain definition earlier today, so this was very informative tbh, thanks!

what about the wow private server Ascension where you get to pick all your abilities and create custom classes? Is it good?

Yeah it kicks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ascension is a lot of fun, although the community is a real cesspit, at least when I last played. You can just turn off trade chat and be fine though.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
All the interesting blockchain talk really got in the way of the most important thing, making fun of CCP. So:

lol and lmao.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I mean we are all trendy image conscious grown ups here

We don't talk about kitsch boomer subjects like CCP and whatever, they got a thread for that

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
This "Git" hub, is it a new MMO?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Cardboard Fox posted:

This "Git" hub, is it a new MMO?

It is massively multiplayer and online, but you can tell it's not an MMO because it's good.

GitHub actions doesn't have that issue though

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

GitHub Online

>>Pick up Fork
You pick up a Fork.
>>Modify Fork
You have been doxxed for betraying the original developer's vision. Your project has been removed.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

I heard their new PR pvp is pretty nice!

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Has anyone been paying attention to the ChatGPT and voice AI demos some people have posted on youtube? There's one made within WoW's engine that looks kind of...good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWSwO_qiyPs

Real world implementation of that can include an NPC that just sits in town and talks to you about the lore of the world. Like, you could create a lore database that the NPC can pull from to answer most questions about the characters, locations, and factions in your MMO world.

The AI voice portion is the most impressive part of that demo. It sounds like a real Tauren. Almost thought they had an actual voice actor.

If this is just the beginning of that tech, I can just imagine how far it can go.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Cardboard Fox posted:

Has anyone been paying attention to the ChatGPT and voice AI demos some people have posted on youtube? There's one made within WoW's engine that looks kind of...good?

Real world implementation of that can include an NPC that just sits in town and talks to you about the lore of the world. Like, you could create a lore database that the NPC can pull from to answer most questions about the characters, locations, and factions in your MMO world.

The AI voice portion is the most impressive part of that demo. It sounds like a real Tauren. Almost thought they had an actual voice actor.

If this is just the beginning of that tech, I can just imagine how far it can go.

Maybe. I played around with ChatGPT where I told it that it was a pirate and some monkeys had stolen its treasure and to give me a quest and it was able to roleplay somewhat intelligently as long as I didn't try too hard to gently caress it up. Like as long as I remained in character and kept talking about the scenario I could say all kinds of nonsense and it'd go along with it. But it's trivially easy to get it to start acting like a wacko if you want it to and the API they released has some really funny documentation where it's like "yeah so in this API message you can send it a system message that is supposed to lay out boundaries for it to operate within, but that doesn't work at all so the best thing to do if you want to use ChatGPT for a particular purpose is to spoof a message from the user providing it instructions. It'll probably work, try experimenting with different things!"

The thing is that in order for it to speak as naturally and intelligently as it does they need an amount of data so massive and lightly-curated that you can't really train it to do anything in particular and have it stick. I don't see that being a surmountable issue for large language models, the thing that makes it lifelike is the thing that makes it impossible to control.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

30.5 Days posted:

Maybe. I played around with ChatGPT where I told it that it was a pirate and some monkeys had stolen its treasure and to give me a quest and it was able to roleplay somewhat intelligently as long as I didn't try too hard to gently caress it up. Like as long as I remained in character and kept talking about the scenario I could say all kinds of nonsense and it'd go along with it. But it's trivially easy to get it to start acting like a wacko if you want it to and the API they released has some really funny documentation where it's like "yeah so in this API message you can send it a system message that is supposed to lay out boundaries for it to operate within, but that doesn't work at all so the best thing to do if you want to use ChatGPT for a particular purpose is to spoof a message from the user providing it instructions. It'll probably work, try experimenting with different things!"

The thing is that in order for it to speak as naturally and intelligently as it does they need an amount of data so massive and lightly-curated that you can't really train it to do anything in particular and have it stick. I don't see that being a surmountable issue for large language models, the thing that makes it lifelike is the thing that makes it impossible to control.

Apparently you're supposed to buy server time and run chatgpt through thousands of generations of training if you want to customize it for a specific task.

We had a sales/tech presentation at work earlier this month.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Well you can do that with the openai davinci nodes which I think are as powerful (???) but chatgpt is a pretrained product so if you pay for that instead you're just stuck with whatever it does. But obviously if you don't use it you're not going to benefit from 100% of the same quality although it's not clear to me how easy it is to train something as good with the base openai stuff. Maybe it's not as hard as I assume. The ai Seinfeld twitch show is trained on davinci and it's definitely interesting but I definitely wouldn't rate it the same as chatgpt (and the one time it downgraded to an older node type because of a divinci outage it immediately started saying transphobic poo poo and got banned from twitch).

idk I don't really know that much about ai but it really seems like it only starts being able to have credible conversations when you cram half the internet into it

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Cardboard Fox posted:

What are the odds we'll get one more harebrained Richard Garriott MMO, because he can finally have his precious dialog system?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

Simply incredible that AI has finally been able to produce the dialogue system from Morrowind

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

simply incredible that we find new and exciting ways to not pay voice actors

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I don't expect a game developer to outsource the most enjoyable thing about making a game, which is the lore and story of the world they create.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

an iksar marauder posted:

I reached level 60 on the project 1999 green server

Proud of you.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Vinestalk posted:

I don't expect a game developer to outsource the most enjoyable thing about making a game, which is the lore and story of the world they create.

Ubi is working on it. Also, technically, it's what's happening in Dwarf Fortress or Ultima Ratio Regum or all those roguelikes that generate their world and history.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Ubi as in Ubisoft? Lol

My bad, not game developers, but specifically MMO developers. They always know what story they want to tell before they do the hard work of engine/mechanics/netcode.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Yeah it kicks rear end

my frostbolt tauren which also has curse of agony thorns and lightning shield is quite confused

I am lvl 14 and already can do 4 types of elemental damage. 1 to go. I am not sure how I feel about this

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Evercraft Online had an impromptu alpha for a few hours without much warning. Of course this had to have been during the Diablo 4 open beta while i was playing with hubs and friends. Oh well, time to wait 6 months for the next one

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

It's fun. They'll do another. They're working on the ogre starting area and want to get that up soon-ish.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wrong thread, I have a migraine :P

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I said come in! posted:

Wrong thread, I have a migraine :P

thats just because you havent been playing enough mmos

at level 40 you start to get migraine mitigation on ur gear and by 60 its almost a non issue

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

blatman posted:

thats just because you havent been playing enough mmos

at level 40 you start to get migraine mitigation on ur gear and by 60 its almost a non issue

just be careful, at level 80 you relinquish your original self identity and base your new one around an upcoming game

it was a pretty controversial patch

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Ascension is a lot of fun, although the community is a real cesspit, at least when I last played. You can just turn off trade chat and be fine though.

It used to be, but they're so hellbent on redacting and filing down anything that allows specs outside of their vision, which defeats the point of it.

E:

Eeeh, it's still a ton of fun for any newcomers, I'm sure. It's just frustrating to constantly have the wool pulled over your eyes by the devs, when you're working on oddball builds.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 27, 2023

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

jokes posted:

GitHub Online

>>Pick up Fork
You pick up a Fork.
>>Modify Fork
You have been doxxed for betraying the original developer's vision. Your project has been removed.

>>get fork
Huh? Type !help commands to see the command menu.
>>get fork
Huh? Type !help commands to see the command menu
>>sigh
Your chest heaves as you breathe a sigh of relief.
>>git fork
You pick up a fork.
quit nosave

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Can someone help me please? There was an MMOG way back where you piloted a fighter in factional pvp and there were giant carriers and stuff to take down and I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called.

TIA

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
eve online

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Kaysette posted:

eve online

no it was something that was fun to play

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

no it was something that was fun to play

It can’t have been an MMO then. Try a different thread. There’s a “remind me what game this was” type general thread.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

X3?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Space cowboys ?

Edit I think its actually called Ace Online

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Star Wars Battlefront 2 was fun.

No, not that one.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

it was janky, probably korean, probably grindy. You flew your fighter around (not in space, it was all in a planet's atmosphere) and there was pve stuff to shoot but there was also factional pvp and every now and then I think these giant boss ships spawned for each side and you'd either defend it or try to blow it up. God I know this thing existed but googling shows me nothing at all. Definitely multiplayer, wasn't Ace Online...

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
earth & beyond? e: nvm i read the prev post.

still. lets talk about earth and beyond. it was a game and i remember it being mildly cool. what went wrong?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Hm I think maybe it was Ace Online, I'm just remembering it back when it was called Air Rivals. Thank you friends.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Hm I think maybe it was Ace Online, I'm just remembering it back when it was called Air Rivals. Thank you friends.

lmao the game has had 3 names so i dont blame you

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Finally a happy ending in the MMO thread. Too bad it wasn't MMO related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

wasnt there another online game where you could like pilot a few different ships and you had to protect your mothership or some poo poo, called alliance or something like that