Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
I can't remember if it's in the set flavor text or was in a Duelist article or something, but Irini is the daughter of the dwarven king and got turned by Baron Sengir when he took over the castle and booted out all the dwarves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

plainswalker75 posted:

I can't remember if it's in the set flavor text or was in a Duelist article or something, but Irini is the daughter of the dwarven king and got turned by Baron Sengir when he took over the castle and booted out all the dwarves.
Yeah, the dwarves kept trying to take back their castle so he turned Irini to break their spirits. After that he discovered the hidden planar gate underneath the castle and tried to force the remaining dwarves into telling him how to use it.

Baron Sengir is amazingly dickish and I hope he comes back eventually. Last time we saw him he was leading a huge army through that gate iirc

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Unfortunate typo

https://twitter.com/MTGGoldfish/status/1642889043875713029?t=rKnbNkSmmEFJhh4tYvIADA&s=19

(edit - goldfish translation only thankfully, saffron olive virus gets to wtitten words too)

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 3, 2023

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

This is the most interesting Battle yet imo. Is your 2 drop and 3 damage worth a huge anthem piece and wrath protection? Seems potentially strong out of the board for Mono-W humans in Pioneer.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Pretty nuts if you can fill your graveyard efficiently

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
lol at kroxa's extendo arm

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

fadam posted:

This is the most interesting Battle yet imo. Is your 2 drop and 3 damage worth a huge anthem piece and wrath protection? Seems potentially strong out of the board for Mono-W humans in Pioneer.

ah sweet another card for my dumb dranith magistrate explorer deck

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

off-brand questing beast

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Rampaging Raptor is interesting. Bringing 1 less damage and no option to spread the +1 counter over Thundering Raiju. Dealing the damage to planeswalkers is neat but niche and usually by the time you're playing Raiju the match is closing out. The pump aspect is neat but same deal, if they're leaving it up they probably don't have poo poo going on anyway. Then again sometimes they plop down a chunky creature you can't take out, a pumped raptor could maybe help.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Invasion of Gobakhan is gonna be the replacement for Wedding Announcement in W/x aggro decks post-rotation

Also it's Teyo's home plane, so that's neat

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It looks like limited is gonna be pretty nuts with how many pushed bomb type legends there are

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
I suppose another way to look at battles is sometimes OP has a creature with an annoying ability. They'll tank hits with their own life as long as possible, and avoid risking it in combat to safeguard the ability. A battle with a good enough flip could force chump blocks long before an OP would have to if they were just protecting life total.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

It looks like limited is gonna be pretty nuts with how many pushed bomb type legends there are

Yeah, limited this set is going to be wild with up to 5 rares per pack, no idea how that is gonna shake out except crazy

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Silhouette posted:

Invasion of Gobakhan is gonna be the replacement for Wedding Announcement in W/x aggro decks post-rotation

Also it's Teyo's home plane, so that's neat

Wedding announcement goes into midrange, not aggro decks. It's also 3 dudes (or maybe card draws if you have enough) and an anthem for no work, vs 1 dude and having to work for the anthem.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I could see Invasion of Gobakhan as a SB card in a format where more controlling decks revolve around wraths that destroy. I don't think we're likely to have that any time soon.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Nahiri's Witchcraft
1RR
Sorcery
Nahiri's Witchcraft deals 5 damage to target creature, planeswalker or battle. Look at the top X cards of your library, where X is the excess damage dealt this way. You may exile one of those cards. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order. You may play the exiled card until end of turn.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

precision posted:

We'll need to see what things are like at common. This might be a very bomb-y format, this might be another ONE where the bombs are amazing but it doesn't matter when you're already dead because the cheap commons are absolutely pushed. With the mechanics shown so far, I expect this format to be slower, between Convoke requiring a board and Battles drawing attacks and a whole lot of built-in mana sinks to even cheaper cards, but we also haven't seen a single common and don't know if there's some Red/White deck that's going to tell an otherwise slower format to sit down and shut up like Magic Origins.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

fadam posted:

Would be very surprised if this doesn't see play in Explorer/Pioneer at least as a SB card. Humans, Angels, and Spirits could all slot this in and turn it on pretty easily. The anthem effect is nice but the wrath-proofing is really where it will shine.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
"Prowess, Prowess" is the kind of poo poo you love to see.

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
So "Prowess, Prowess, Prowess" is going to turn up in commander at some point right?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Seems like these would be nuts in a draft environment. Come down early, and if not dealt with turn into pretty serious threats. Like the flavor of this new 'Obliterator' but shame they didn't make the activation cost phyrexian UUBB. Easier to get to this way at least.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/AliaDeschain/status/1642947270927589377?s=20

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Narrow tutor into an enchantment draw creature possibly with lifelink and indestructible. Seems good in commander, not sure what to fetch with it in standard off the top but there's gotta be something scary.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm assuming you can't attack your opponents Battles, even if you wanted to like flip it so you can wrath it away

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
me, looking at that card

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

precision posted:

I'm assuming you can't attack your opponents Battles, even if you wanted to like flip it so you can wrath it away

They could have made it so that either player can attack battles, and the winner gets the reward. This would allow the cards to be pushed, and would encourage the use of creatures by both players.

What I've seen of Battles so far looks more like a subtype of Enchantments.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Read an article today where they started as subtype of enchantments but required too much text on them to make em work. What your describing is still possible. These battles are all sieges, but future battles could award prize to winner or consequences to loser or affect whole battlefield. Sieges aren't my jam for standard, some fun commander options, but I like battles for the new room they added for future designs.

I think Sieges were a good rollout idea, offers a tradeoff we've never had to really consider before, gets folks used to a new card type thrown on their side of the board, sieges are also pretty slow, and so far none of em seem busted enough to cause an immediate fuss.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Chamale posted:

They could have made it so that either player can attack battles, and the winner gets the reward. This would allow the cards to be pushed, and would encourage the use of creatures by both players.

There is almost no world where you would run a Battle in that case, since it entirely a Win More card for whichever player can flip it that comes at the opportunity cost of the player who put it on the battlefield. If the Front Side is too strong it would create a scenario where the person who played it would almost certainly get to cash in the back half anyways, and if the Back Side was too strong it'd be too much of a gamble to play in case your opponent manages to be the one to flip it.

Battles kind of need to be pushed already as-is because by their nature you are often going to be in a situation where you're going to have to play it purely from the front side and have to treat the back side as a nice perk to eventually get if you can get there. The ones that are not at least ok on their front are going to be 23rd cards in Draft and little else.

(e: Speaking of Battles, there's Invasion of Theros, and yeah, sounds like the mono-type gods at least got Got. It's about a year too late to see play in a Standard deck as is unless some super-pushed Aura rounds the bend, and I can't image either Eldrane or Ixalan are going to suddely bust out the Gods and Demigods and I can't imagine we're going back to Theros or Khaldheim so soon and Amonkhet was pretty light on Gods after the last time we stopped by so... new Plane? Or maybe Lorewyn? They had demigods, right? )

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 3, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Flavoreise I'd want to see battles that just have a world enchantment effect for the rest of the game. Like the battle happened and everyone after has to sit with the changes in the process

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
About a year ago a speculative 'lets play as phyrexians in the immediate aftermath of the final battle where Atraxa was captured' campaign was made before Dominaria United based on all the lore that was known.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15P1RmrzNnec70oZmlqCSncFw3u9fT27J
A thing the creator wanted was phyrexian adventurers politicking and doing stuff after the war, as well as the ability to turn oneself into a phyrexian obliterator part by part over time if you wanted. That Rona card reminded me of this fan campaign.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

precision posted:

you can bolt it I think if you wanted to do that

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Khenra Spellspear is kinda loving bonkers

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Silhouette posted:

Khenra Spellspear is kinda loving bonkers

At least it isn't a wizard.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

AceClown posted:

you can bolt it I think if you wanted to do that

SMH red stays OP :jerkbag:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You should be able to Fight Battles imo

Green is surely getting dudes that "do damage to target creature or battle"

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

the requisite bite spell will absolutely hit battles yeah

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
There is a battle that is a Fight already, I hope the Bite does hit battles though, that'd be good to have as an option.

Overcosted fight battle:

Quickest comparable I can remember, one of the best commons from M21 draft:

Battles as targeted removal seems pretty highly taxed at the moment but we'll see how they play out in a couple weeks.

edit:oh wait, this could be Bite in the set, I forgot it was spoiled already. It does indeed hit Battles.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 3, 2023

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

You should be able to Fight Battles imo

Green is surely getting dudes that "do damage to target creature or battle"

Siege [Insert Beast Type Here]. ETB deals damage to its power to target battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Chamale posted:

That could be a different subtype. So far they only have the one, siege, but they've said that other subtypes will have different rules for how they're defended or what happens when they're defeated. A type with a symmetrical effect that anyone can attack or defend ("skirmish" maybe?) would be interesting I think.