Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
:hai: thanks, agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

well speaking of screen time my son wanted to watch moana last night, he calls the lava monster "hot fireman" which makes me laugh so much. like last night he was like "daddy daddy look its the hot fireman, i like the hot fireman"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Sam,

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Moana was my daughter's first favorite movie, and she now refuses to watch it in favor of Winnie the Pooh, but occasionally upon doing something scary like climb a stepstool or use a toy station at the same time another toddler did she will still tell us that she had been "brave like Moana"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
which Winnie the Pooh because there are some real dogshit ones in the last 20 years.

the one where Owl lies to Pooh and sends him on a death march specifically.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

so you mean the best one?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

She likes the original one best and we sometimes convince her to watch the 2011 one too just to switch it up a little bit even though it's a pale imitation

Book of Pooh, a show where 2000s-era American Christopher Robin has an imagination exclusively involving puppets on PSX-rear end-looking CGI backgrounds, and does not participate in their adventures himself, is actually fairly solid. The worst one seems to be the 80s cartoon, whose theme song I recognized but which I remembered nothing about. In the first episode the characters, like, go to the movies with Christopher Robin, implying that they can leave the hundred acre wood? And there are way too many plots involving big monsters? I dunno it's weird

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

We set up our kids with google accounts when they were very young, mostly to reserve the names. This was in the time period where we had to lie about the ages, otherwise we couldn’t get accounts at all. Once they started watching youtube though, years later, it was kinda important that my older kid *wasn’t* locked into only watching YouTubeKids, as that was way worse that regular youtube (it was all creepy spiderman animations and the like),and there were many kid-friendly videos that you couldn’t watch in that walled garden. We supervise all the YouTube stuff they consume, so content’s not really a worry/problem.
However, google just sent us an email that they suspect our older kids (10yo) account is being used by someone under 13. We have a few choices, we can continue the façade that the account is an adult – and we would have to prove that via credit card or id, or we can set up the account with parental supervision. We could do either option. It *seems* like the options with parental control are more granular now, such that we can choose which permissions to grant, with the exceptions of Age-Restricted Content on youtube, which is fine. Google will delete the account in 14 days if we don’t do something.
I’m a little concerned about Google knowing the age of my kid, and I’m also leery about having that account locked out of certain things that I haven’t considered yet. This seems to be all driven by COPPA, and has some kinda stupid policy stuff around it. Has anyone else gone through this? Should we go ahead and tell google their age and set up parental supervision or no?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Edit: A Google account seems like a fantastic place to throw out some junk data.

I hadn't even considered the possibility that I was falling behind the Joneses in securing leet handles for my kids.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts has issued a correction as of 19:39 on Mar 30, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I made my son an email address on my domain and just use that for his Nintendo online stuff.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
my kids Apple account is her nickname in Chinese so it’s all good. thankfully her name has a clear Chinese equivalent

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My child's first username will be KirbyKhanJr

My second born's first username will be LilMsKirbyKhan

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
PBSkids has plenty of decent shows for kids to watch. There's no need to give kids access to youtube. There's nothing they watch without my knowledge. I queue up everything. I'm a screentime nazi stalinist.

My older one has a phone connected to the wifi, but it locked down so that she can only facetime with people on her contact list or use Messenger Kids to talk to friends from school.

There's wikipedia on there too but she hasn't shown much interest in learning about Finland's heroic struggle against the USSR. Yet.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Edit: A Google account seems like a fantastic place to throw out some junk data.

I hadn't even considered the possibility that I was falling behind the Joneses in securing leet handles for my kids.

We've already talked to the kids about online stuff. And we talked about the 'Standard Lies' we will tell about critical data - like lying about our birthdays for things that don't need them - like Google, but lying consistently, so we don't have issues authenticating . So I'm not sure which option you're talking about when you say junk data - its going to be junk data, but how inaccurate is the question.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I made my son an email address on my domain and just use that for his Nintendo online stuff.

This seems like a lot of CJing if I don't already have that running. Honestly my 10 yo is probably up to running the domain himself.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My first born got gifted an Amazon Kids Kindle for his first birthday. It's been sitting in a drawer. One time I got bored and did Linux at it until the only function it could perform was to open zoobooks pdfs. I stuck a copy of The Jakarta Method in the /root folder in case my lil jailbreaker broke this latest jail.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Khan Academy Kids for the iPad remains the only game my daughter has played herself (she can make a Nintendo character move or jump but not both at the same time) and it seems fine but I can understand wanting to put a limit on those things for kids who actually know how to use them

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

I put on Trash Truck for my kid because I want the screen time. Good show.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

to keep things separate i served my son dinner on three separate plates tonight and he managed to knock all three of them + contents onto the floor, spilling everything, in different incidents. two were relatively easy to clean up but one was rice :negative:

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
we have a dog

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Praise Dog! Always ready and willing for kitchen clean up duty.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
[C-SPAM Parents] we have a dog

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

We call her Cuban Pete, she's the queen of the Roomba beat. When kid throws food on the floor she goes lick, licky boom, lick licky boom, lick licky boom.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

KirbyKhan posted:

We call her Cuban Pete, she's the queen of the Roomba beat. When kid throws food on the floor she goes lick, licky boom, lick licky boom, lick licky boom.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

My kid would watch handyman Hal on YouTube 24hrs a day if we let him. There is some good content on YouTube (ms Rachel, Catie's classroom and circle time particularly) but the algo likes to throw garbage at every opportunity so I tend to grab the good stuff and stick it in Plex.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Parenting protip: for loud electric toys, open them up and stuff the speaker cavity with something to muffle the noise.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I just take the batteries out

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I give them to my nephews.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
As a sound sensitive person(probably not autistic) I have found that parental complaints over noisy toys are a bit overblown. It might just be that all the worst of it also comes with disnarvel branding that we avoid like the plague, but those toys generally don't make a top 10 of most annoying things the kid does.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
if you're around that poo poo 24/7 it can turn into audio torture though, i 100% understand doing what you can to dampen it even a little

also every time you post in this thread i giggle at the intersection of its stated topic and your avatar

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Kitfox88 posted:

if you're around that poo poo 24/7 it can turn into audio torture though, i 100% understand doing what you can to dampen it even a little

also every time you post in this thread i giggle at the intersection of its stated topic and your avatar

It was given to me for being a dumbass, and not giving a red texter their victory lap just feels rude.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Oh I didn't even realize it was a link, I just mean the skeleton punching a child.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

My kid has an animated Rudolph the reindeer that sings Xmas carols really loudly, and she will hammer that button nonstop for an hour.

Rudolph doesn't know it, but he has a grisly fate awaiting him in a couple of years.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I’m totally counting all these chapter books I’m reading to my kid as number of books I’ve read this year. my ebook library is like verso book club stuff mixed with elementary school chapter books.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Good lessons in these books.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

sonatinas posted:

I’m totally counting all these chapter books I’m reading to my kid as number of books I’ve read this year. my ebook library is like verso book club stuff mixed with elementary school chapter books.

I rediscovered my wife's reading journal in the back of a cabinet today. It lasted for nearly a decade. It mysteriously stopped the day before our first kid was born

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

came downstairs to find my older kid listening to aphex twin - xtal

sigh

she was supposed to be going to bed but now im giving her a brief history of early electronic music while we listen to all of selected ambient works 85-92

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

https://youtu.be/WdEPgB2yizw

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I like The Clash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

personally i object to the word "shooting" in the name of their preschool