Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oh yeah do people here follow the thought that dominant hand should be on top of the stick or whatever is more comfortable or just do whatever since you’re new and will adapt to either way anyway?

What muddies is up for me is that I have a more dominant hand doing different tasks/sports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I have my right hand at the top for everything in life except hockey. I learned I shoot better with my right hand on top but I can't do any fine control no matter how much I practice. I have left hand on top for hockey and it just feels natural

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No, pick which side you want your stick on and run with it. It's not like (for example) skateboarding where forcing yourself to stand the wrong way feels alien and scary.

The only advantage for one over the other is if you use left handed sticks you'll get a better selection from clearance sales because there's less lefties in the US.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I use my left hand for writing and eating and throw right handed so I'm all kinds of hosed up I guess. I shoot righty and hit right handed as well so probably my left hand could reasonably be considered to be my dominant hand.

I grew up playing ice hockey and shooting righty was just how I picked up and used a stick.

I always tell people though that it's whatever feels natural. There's this thing about wanting your dominant hand on top of your stick for better control, but Mario Lemieux is right handed and he shoots right handed. Unless he was intentionally gimping himself because of how godly he is at hockey I'd say that it's all about what feels right.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ginette Reno posted:

I use my left hand for writing and eating and throw right handed so I'm all kinds of hosed up I guess. I shoot righty and hit right handed as well so probably my left hand could reasonably be considered to be my dominant hand.

I grew up playing ice hockey and shooting righty was just how I picked up and used a stick.

I always tell people though that it's whatever feels natural. There's this thing about wanting your dominant hand on top of your stick for better control, but Mario Lemieux is right handed and he shoots right handed. Unless he was intentionally gimping himself because of how godly he is at hockey I'd say that it's all about what feels right.

Yeah this is my thought. I write right, shoot left or right, but drive left and throw strong left hooks/jabs with orthodox stance. When I use a broom or shovel the right hand's on top, but when leaning over for a stick it feels "natural" to have right hand lower.

xzzy posted:

The only advantage for one over the other is if you use left handed sticks you'll get a better selection from clearance sales because there's less lefties in the US.

This is why I'm also considering going left :smoobles:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I grew up playing baseball and golf so it feels a lot more natural to have my off-hand on the knob.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I grew up playing baseball and golf so it feels a lot more natural to have my off-hand on the knob.

And just like with my golf swing, I like to stand up straight before making contact with the puck and fan on too many shots.

I've tried left and right sticks, and settled on the right. It's my dominant arm, and my left is strong enough, but shooting and even passing just felt off with a left hand stick.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

gently caress we lost our playoff game 1-4. They got a sub on their team who played D but was clearly their best player (from the best team in the leauge) and had assists on 3 goals and the fourth goal himself. Love strictly enforced games except when they don't do it.
But I got an assist on our 1 goal! I won the faceoff in our D zone, put it through their center's legs, then went around their D guy on the boards and through it to one of our guys who was breaking out ahead of me and he beat the goalie woo!

I missed my own breakaway, but the goalie kicked it to me and I threw it through the crease from behind the goal line as I fell into the boards and our guy missed the empty net. Later on he did the exact same thing I did, but I was the guy in the crease that missed the empty net. I just keep replaying both of those in my head. I should have had them ugh

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 16, 2023

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Just imagining the scene with the curb your enthusiasm theme playing.

I ended up going with a wooden, left-handed P29 since it was the cheapest they had and the clearance section only had $200+ sticks for either hand, though left did indeed have a larger selection. Doesn't feel too bad, I can learn it

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I went to watch my wife play in her first women's league game last night and ran into 2 other women I've played hockey with at the same game. It was fun rooting for 3 people!
Anyways she enjoys the slower pace of women's league over coed beer league since she's not being checked by guys 100-200 lbs larger than her in a non checking league.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Women have to put up with so much poo poo when playing hockey with men. I used to play Rat Hockey with a woman who was a 2-time national champ on Wisconsin and every dude suddenly became a super try-hard whenever they were matched up with her because they didn't want to be embarrassed by a ~girl~. Fortunately, she was good enough to embarrass them anyway, but it's way harder for women who aren't elite players.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At the level I play at the biggest problem is 100 pound ladies in a valid puck battle against a 250 pound fatass that can't stop and getting completely obliterated. Random hockey bumps and shoves look so dang bad when there's that much of a difference in mass.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
My other favorite is when the smaller women can't stop and run into the 250lb guy and knock them off balance making it look like a massive hit.

Jammed the end of my little finger into the corner of a stanchion last night. Oddest bruise I've gotten so far, it's just a line on the end of my finger.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My wife absolutely trucked some big dude at the blue line on accident a few weeks ago during our playoff game and it ruled, mostly because the opposite always happens. She got 2 mins for it and our team went nuts because she takes like one penalty every other year.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 17, 2023

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

My wife absolutely trucked some big dude at the blue line on accident a few weeks ago during our playoff game and it ruled

One of the women on our team absolutely trucked a ringer on the other team and the livebarn gif of that hit was regularly posted in our benchapp chat.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Lol I wish we had livebarn just for poo poo like that.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

“Look at the live barn dude!”

“We don’t even have that here you loving pheasant. Nobody cares”

Best use of LiveBarn I’ve seen

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

One of the women on our team absolutely trucked a ringer on the other team and the livebarn gif of that hit was regularly posted in our benchapp chat.

Post it here thanks. And yeah this woman on my team was a former professional soccer goalie and ex military. She's 5' 11" and 220 lbs of muscle. I love watching her. She's kinda our enforcer. When someone fucks up one of our smaller member she comes in and bodies people (but cleanly) and makes sure to talk so they know a woman just beat them in a battle in the corner. My favorite is when someone is trying to knock her down in the crease and she counter moves them and throws them on their rear end. Ash is my hero. It's always satisfying seeing D league try hards get embarrassed because a woman beat them

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

RC Cola posted:

Post it here thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQKGOBs4Bgc

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

A+ "accidental" hit. Well worth the 2 minutes. Love everything about that.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

One of the women I used to play against was very petite and played D a lot, and she could dangle around me like I was standing still, every time. It was hilarious.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Well we finished top of the league so got a buy. Played tonight against one of the teams we have the toughest time beating. It was a tight game, lost 4-3, with them getting a weird swinging at the puck goal. But they're a bunch of good guys who we were drinking with in the parking lot so it's OK.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
Welp. I got over my fear of dropping in net. Something in my brain just went "If you die, you die. Meh."
My knees don't hurt because of it (They hurt for other reasons, but hockey is not making it any worse), my hips feel fine, everything is coming up Milhouse.
I just need one more thing to click: If there's a battle in the crease for the puck...DON'T loving GET YOUR DUMB rear end STICK IN THERE! JUST DROP YOU MORON! HOLY JESUS CHRIST ON SALE YOUR JOB IS TO STOP NOT PLAY!

Also helping: a C2 league that's actually C2. Woot!

I'm proud of all of you! You're doing great! Keep going!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

In my experience, even the worst goalie on earth is better than no goalie and skaters are always glad to see goalies in pickup games.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oh boy buying shoulder and elbow pads separately comes back to haunt me. Elbow pads and gloves are fine, but getting the upper elbow and shoulder bicep guards to work well together is a pain. Would sizing down on either one help?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I just cut the arm parts off my shoulder pads, no regrets.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thufir posted:

I just cut the arm parts off my shoulder pads, no regrets.

These are removable but it would be nice to have something small there so that the shoulders aren't just flopping around everywhere

I also got to skate on a really nice indoor ice the other day. I didn't think ice could be so good.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't velcro my bicep pads anymore because the straps wore out. Once the jersey is on they don't move at all.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I’ll try that if it continues to be a problem. But honestly when I’m skating for a bit I don’t notice it anymore.

Anyway I tried stick and puck to get a feel for things before hockey lessons start. Hockey is hard. I should’ve read the OP. :negative:

But on the bright side the feet kinda do things automatically cuz I’m so focused on following the puck

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
We started the playoffs this week. I scored my first goal tonight. It was the game winner. Beat the goalie blocker side low off the post on a set play off the faceoff. He couldn't see it coming and didn't drop until it was in the back of the net.

Now we get at least two more games. Hockey is so much fun to play.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Anyone know of good material to put in a skate to reduce negative space? There's some above and in front of the toes. Firm but at least a little bit soft if possible so it doesn't just destroy my socks. I've heard of powerfoot for the top of the toes, but would like something that can take the force of pushing against the front of the toes.

Jhet posted:

We started the playoffs this week. I scored my first goal tonight. It was the game winner. Beat the goalie blocker side low off the post on a set play off the faceoff. He couldn't see it coming and didn't drop until it was in the back of the net.

Now we get at least two more games. Hockey is so much fun to play.

Nice. Free games good. That's what I look forward to later. Going to playoffs just so you can score more free ice time, the real prize.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Chill la Chill posted:

Anyone know of good material to put in a skate to reduce negative space? There's some above and in front of the toes. Firm but at least a little bit soft if possible so it doesn't just destroy my socks. I've heard of powerfoot for the top of the toes, but would like something that can take the force of pushing against the front of the toes.

Nice. Free games good. That's what I look forward to later. Going to playoffs just so you can score more free ice time, the real prize.

I've seen some guys use foam or big ole sponges in their skates but mostly for protection against lace bite. I'm sure it would work as a little bit of toe box comfort/fitment as well for cheap option.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I use bunga pads for stuff like that. Stick them right on the skin and slide my socks over the top to hold them in place.

Really only use them to buffer the seam where the toe cap and boot meet as it digs into my big toe there.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Went to stick and puck tonight where there were a bunch of kids also playing. I spent the entire time just shooting pucks at the wall so I could get fast rebounds but when it would bounce and I didn’t catch it, they’d see me chase and stop it to pass back to me so I got some receiving/cradling practice too. That was nice

After a couple practices and stick and pucks, it feels like the stick is too long for me but I might just be trying to shoot too close to my body.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
There’s a couple of ways to shoot and the puck can be close to the body or further away, depending on what you’re doing. Main thing is making sure your bottom arm is straight, locked at the elbow, under your chin and flexing your stick. If you get in that position, is the blade in the right position to shoot? If not, you may need to shorten. Personally, I use my longer stick when playing D or center, and like my shorter stick if I’m playing on the wing.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Here we are, still winning in the playoffs (with the 3-0 shutout). Almost like actually having roster rules about who gets to play in which division changes a lot of what happens in the game. Not having to solve goalies or defenders that are playing down 3-4 divisions makes the game a whole lot more fun. It's double elimination, so we'll get at least 2 more games still. Love free-ish hockey.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

There’s a couple of ways to shoot and the puck can be close to the body or further away, depending on what you’re doing. Main thing is making sure your bottom arm is straight, locked at the elbow, under your chin and flexing your stick. If you get in that position, is the blade in the right position to shoot? If not, you may need to shorten. Personally, I use my longer stick when playing D or center, and like my shorter stick if I’m playing on the wing.

Do you just choke up on your stick if you need to stickhandle closer to your body? Only thing I can do is choke up both hands but that's why I'm thinking I might have a preference for having the stick closer to my body so thinking if a different lie/length might help. But I'll continue working with what I have for now, a Sherwood PP09 pattern which has a 5.5 lie. I ended up using my other wooden P29 stick for street practice, and I'm really liking the PP09. Doesn't seem too hard to lift the puck and I find receiving/making passes easier than I did with the P29.

I'm using a wooden stick with a flex of 85, cut down so probably closer to 95-100, and I can get some flex at home but on the ice I can't tell if I'm flexing it at all. I'll be more conscious next time

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I don’t choke up, just move my hands further from the body to bring the stick blade closer in.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
Top hand should be free and moving away from your hip to give you the freedom to stickhandle closer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thanks a lot, will try that at practice.

Speaking of, I'm now getting emails from the rink about future clinics. Officially in the youth adult industrial sports complex :smoobles: