Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
My ancestors had slaves in Malaysia as recently as 1930 so gently caress ancestors

edit: not to say it was okay to have slaves before 1930

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

some plague rats posted:

this discussion is absolute dog poo poo but they took my buttons away so I can't actually stop it, so let's loving go

It's true, america should be destroyed immediately!

George Bush should be in prison for war crimes, he can be in the same cell as Putin.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
The Twin Towers were ugly. People only ooh and ahh over how "beautiful" they are now because of 9/11.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think people were more bothered by the people inside dying than the actual buildings

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
The people dying inside didn't deserve what happened to them by any stretch of the imagination.

But the country itself deserved 9/11 for our decades of meddling in the Middle East up to that point.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

But the country itself deserved 9/11 for our decades of meddling in the Middle East up to that point.

The invasion of Iraq killed hundreds of thousands of civilians and created a power vacuum that lead to the rise of Isis and the European refugee crisis, among other things.

I personally would prefer there be no mass murder, whether it''s "deserved" or not.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

doverhog posted:

The invasion of Iraq killed hundreds of thousands of civilians and created a power vacuum and lead to the rise of Isis, and many other bad things.

I personally would prefer there be no mass murder, whether it''s "deserved" or not but that's just not the world we live in.

OK, that is a valid point.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

doverhog posted:

It's usually anti-capitalist critique. Ancestors had meaningful relationships with the land, each other, and "gods", instead of being soulless automatons that only exist to make more profit for the capitalist ruling class.

To what degree any of that is true is up for debate, but that's what it means.

My ancestors sure as hell didn’t have a “meaningful relationship to the land”, even when they were farmers. There’s a reason we gave up farming as quickly as we could.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

thetoughestbean posted:

My ancestors sure as hell didn’t have a “meaningful relationship to the land”, even when they were farmers. There’s a reason we gave up farming as quickly as we could.

Not to mention it turns out that a lot of those ancestors used some pretty bad farming practices that really hosed things up. Oops. I guess that meaningful relationship was more like beating it in to submission just like the meaningful relationship they had with their kids.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The people dying inside didn't deserve what happened to them by any stretch of the imagination.

So you agree little man and fat boy were also deserved right?

As a kid of a Holocaust survivor I’ve gotten probes lots of times for saying Nakam was right, but for some reason, SS prisoners poisoned is disgusting probable hate speech but whomst could say if random US civilians deserved death? 9/11 is funny, killing the people dead 80 years who destroyed my family was a war crime and 80 years later, liking it is hate speech! Yesssss. Nakam is still right btw. Ya probe me for that you better probe everyone who says the bombs were bad or that the US deserved 9/11 or the every immense amount of posters who think my Russian friends deserved death for being poor and 23 while living in Russia

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 01:52 on Apr 2, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Atticus_1354 posted:

Not to mention it turns out that a lot of those ancestors used some pretty bad farming practices that really hosed things up. Oops. I guess that meaningful relationship was more like beating it in to submission just like the meaningful relationship they had with their kids.

I love how much of the New Deal was just the government trying to teach farmers how to actually farm correctly, and the farmers being incredibly resistant to it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

we don't need an airy-voiced-woman cover of a popular 80s-90s song in EVERY trailer

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

People who can't wait to report how some harmless fast food gave them explosive diarrhea after every meal are either lying or have a severely compromised digestive tract and should seek medical help immediately. "I ate a burrito from Taco Bell and got the shits." "I ate chili from Wendy's and was on the toilet all afternoon." "I ate a ladyfinger from Cafè Saisson in the Jewelry District and violently shat my pants." No you didn't, and also, no one wants to hear if you did.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There should be professional, competitive games of Telephone.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

exquisite tea posted:

People who can't wait to report how some harmless fast food gave them explosive diarrhea after every meal are either lying or have a severely compromised digestive tract and should seek medical help immediately. "I ate a burrito from Taco Bell and got the shits." "I ate chili from Wendy's and was on the toilet all afternoon." "I ate a ladyfinger from Cafè Saisson in the Jewelry District and violently shat my pants." No you didn't, and also, no one wants to hear if you did.

I tend to agree with this. I eat a lot of fast food, and only very rarely get stuff like that, but sometimes it DOES happen.

I think a lot of people who say stuff like that have orthorexia. The symptoms might be real, but I tend to think that they are psychosomatically induced.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Purely psychosomatic (that goon needs therapy)

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Gripweed posted:

There should be professional, compelling games of Telephone.

Yes there should be professional and compelling games of Telephone.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Animal-Mother posted:

Serious Telephone would have, like, half a page of text passed from person to person. It would be a real sport.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Animal-Mother posted:

Yes, there should be confessional and repelling caves of Telephone.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
tired: professional competitive telephone game
wired: professional competitive Eat Poop You Cat

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

People who can't wait to report how some harmless fast food gave them explosive diarrhea after every meal are either lying or have a severely compromised digestive tract and should seek medical help immediately. "I ate a burrito from Taco Bell and got the shits."

Yeah I just assume these people are doing a bit or something. Heck I have Crohn's and I eat Taco Bell about once a month with no ill effects at all.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

exquisite tea posted:

My former roommate used to get fast food nearly every day, then complain about how greasy it was and made her feel like poo poo. Each time I suggested that maybe she shouldn't eat it any more, she'd get ridiculously offended for some reason. It was bizarre.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I think the only time I've got ill from takeaway food is a tuna sandwich from a local independent sandwich shop, i think my boss had the same thing that day and got similarly ill, it's the risk you take with tuna, don't care i'd do it again

the worst experience i've had with a mcdonalds or a kfc or similar is not getting the barbecue sauce i asked for

i've only had a burger king once in recent memory and it was super disappointing, i was on holiday, stoned out my face, just away to go to the cinema to see Black Adam, super expensive, crap chips compared to McDonalds and the burger had a slight chemical taste.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Nunchucks are incredibly uncool. I’ve never seen someone with nunchucks and thought they looked they looked even slightly deadlier or more intimidating than if they didn’t have them

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

I’ve never seen someone with nunchucks and thought they looked they looked even slightly deadlier or more intimidating than if they didn’t have them

this is true except in the case of young kids, who are almost certainly deadlier to themselves and those around them with nunchucks than without.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Captain Monkey posted:

this is true except in the case of young kids, who are almost certainly deadlier to themselves and those around them with nunchucks than without.

:hmmyes:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Nunchuks are incredibly deadly to your balls.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Um I think you guys mean numbchuks

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Putting butter in your coffee is not that weird. Butter is just cream + some extra time.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Supposedly, a pinch of salt in your coffee is the "Navy way" of drinking it (or so I've heard).

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Putting cheese on beef is weird; you're smearing a dead cow with the food she made for her child.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

credburn posted:

Putting cheese on beef is weird. You're smearing a dead cow with the food she made for her child.

:owned:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Supposedly, a pinch of salt in your coffee is the "Navy way" of drinking it (or so I've heard).

A little bit of salt in your coffee can help take off some of the bitterness, if you're drinking some cheap diner swill or presumably what they served on active deployment.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

credburn posted:

Putting cheese on beef is weird; you're smearing a dead cow with the food she made for her child.

Japanese got a dish with egg and chicken called Oyakodon, Parent and Child bowl. It's 7/10 alright.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Putting anything in coffee is weird. You can just have a milkshake if you want to drink milk and sugar.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Veal chop stuffed with Vienna Beef hotdogs. We can call it Beef2.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

credburn posted:

Judaism largely agrees with you! Mixing meat and dairy isn’t kosher exactly for that reason.

thetoughestbean has a new favorite as of 18:26 on Apr 6, 2023

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

credburn posted:

wrong, we're smearing several different dead cows mixed together with the food that several other cows made for their kids + enough plastic that it legally has to be called a byproduct

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

credburn posted:

You're a loving monster.

But I'm 6'3" so like, I can't even fit in coach without awkwardly shifting my lefts diagonally. It takes some work, but I can kind of maneuver them to be facing left or right slightly (not a lot of room since I'm sitting next to someone) but when someone reclines their seat, I'm trapped in whatever position I'm in. If I want to shift, I can't do it without kicking the person in front of me repeatedly.

And in many airplanes, the last seat does not recline at all!!

lol this sounds like a You problem, just get shorter

signed, 5'2"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

So you agree little man and fat boy were also deserved right?

As a kid of a Holocaust survivor I’ve gotten probes lots of times for saying Nakam was right, but for some reason, SS prisoners poisoned is disgusting probable hate speech but whomst could say if random US civilians deserved death? 9/11 is funny, killing the people dead 80 years who destroyed my family was a war crime and 80 years later, liking it is hate speech! Yesssss. Nakam is still right btw. Ya probe me for that you better probe everyone who says the bombs were bad or that the US deserved 9/11 or the every immense amount of posters who think my Russian friends deserved death for being poor and 23 while living in Russia

Can someone translate this for me. Like. I've had a migraine and my brain is overheating trying to parse out what the gently caress point this poster is trying to make. i dont agree or disagree because i dont even know what id be disputing/agreeing with.

thanks