Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Hows stoneshard on steam deck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Last King posted:

this is probably where the brain worms comes in, but after having played games like tarkov which have much worse mechanics, this didn't feel so bad. you've gotta manage hunger and thirst (eating not so bad, but taking meds and stuff will spike your thirst), and also manage injuries as well (need splints, will need to heal up diff. body parts depending on what's hurt, etc.) but it really wasn't that bad.

yes it increases the tedium, but i didn't mind too much as long as i had a goal in mind (i.e. travel to a dungeon to clear it / complete the quest). if you're just gonna be wandering around the world, then yes it gets bad because there's only so much you can cover before you start running low on supplies. but there's food and water out in the wilderness to help you mitigate the levels somewhat.

the game has a bit of a learning curve (i.e. certain vendors will buy certain items for more, limited inventory bag space will force you to make looting decisions to aim for a certain value per slot, etc.) but really takes off and shines afterwards. like i said, i was on the fence til i tried the demo (prologue). once i had fun playing with those basic systems, it was an easy purchase for me.

Ah hell it's probably worth a shot. I think that could be kind of cool if it's a test of long term planning and logistics. Kinda cool thought of in that light. Thanks for the detailed breakdown.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Stoneshard became MUCH more bearable for me once I enabled edge panning, which let me traverse overworld tiles with one single click instead of clicking 40 times to get through a map tile. I'm not sure if there's another method to do this, or if there's fast travel, but geez.

It's definitely very crunchy, feels like a mix of Diablo 1, DCSS, and a survival game.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1835240/Spiritfall/

Just opened Early Access. $16.19 USD. "Platform Fighter...Roguelite" Gonna give it a go later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Kg75DCefs&t=42s

Recent no commentary video.

e: Watching the video I'm wondering why I'd play this over Dead Cells or Skul. The first boss had no platforms at all.

e2: After one run, I think I like what the game is doing enough to keep it. Elites/bosses have stun bars you need to break before you can start juggling them, but you can defintiely smack them around. You can also smack projectiles around, and there's hazards on some stages you can knock enemies into.

Because of the combat and the power up system I think the game feels like Smash Bros + Hades. Not sure if there's going to be a lot of build diversity but in this clip my bolt was mutated into a flamethrower, I got an extra dive kick attack that applied a dot, and my normal attacks and launcher also had god-asocciated power ups. I rebound dodge from RT to B since my Dead Cells muscle memory was loving me up.

https://i.imgur.com/qI0yjJI.mp4

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 3, 2023

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Diephoon posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1835240/Spiritfall/

e: Watching the video I'm wondering why I'd play this over Dead Cells or Skul. The first boss had no platforms at all.

e2: After one run, I think I like what the game is doing enough to keep it. Elites/bosses have stun bars you need to break before you can start juggling them, but you can defintiely smack them around. You can also smack projectiles around, and there's hazards on some stages you can knock enemies into.

Not sure if that line was a joke or not but I think "platform fighter" refers to, as you say, games like Smash Bros -- not, like, a "platformer"

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

goferchan posted:

Not sure if that line was a joke or not but I think "platform fighter" refers to, as you say, games like Smash Bros -- not, like, a "platformer"

I think they know, but the comparison is absolutely valid. Even if it has Smash Bros style combat, it's still a sidescrolling action roguelike in the same vein as Dead Cells and Skul.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
OK sometimes it's literally just Smash Bros

https://i.imgur.com/6Nuiscr.mp4

I'm having fun though! 3 weapons, Hades style meta progression between runs, unlocking new features that will appear on the map, etc.

Smash Bros should absolutely rip this off for adventure mode.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

roguelite smashbros does sound kind of sick actually

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Looks like it might be pretty good once it's out of early access

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Awesome! posted:

This just reminded me that I really liked Abyss Odyssey back in the day. Not gonna go back to it, but that game was fun.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

PostNouveau posted:

Looks like it might be pretty good once it's out of early access

It does seem pretty short. First clear took me 20 minutes. Gonna pop back in here and there and look forward to checking it out as more content is released.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah i mean. arcadey kinda smash bros combat in arenas built for it sounds like it'd be a fun basis for a roguelite, offhand.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'd love to get into Stoneshard but to this day it remains the only roguelike I've ever played where I literally cannot figure out how to consistently win a fight against any enemy, or how to complete the intro starter quests that the village elder gives you, or how to earn money to buy equipment and supplies, or how to do literally anything in it except wander through the forest until I run into an enemy, then die.

And that's after seventeen hours of trying.

I don't know what exactly it is that makes it not click for me but I don't think I've ever even leveled up in it (or do you even level up? I have no idea, but I have never progressed my character in any fashion whatsoever). It seems like you're expected to spend a long time doing... something? to get stronger before ever stepping foot out of town, but there's no indication of what that is that I've ever found. Like there's some kind of "Looting the Joppa chests" equivalent that I'm missing.

It seems like it would be a fun game once you have the means to deal with its crunchiness (like actually being able to afford healing supplies) but I have no idea how to get there

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 4, 2023

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'd love to get into Stoneshard but to this day it remains the only roguelike I've ever played where I literally cannot figure out how to consistently win a fight against any enemy, or how to complete the intro starter quests that the village elder gives you, or how to earn money to buy equipment and supplies, or how to do literally anything in it except wander through the forest until I run into an enemy, then die.

And that's after seventeen hours of trying.

I don't know what exactly it is that makes it not click for me but I don't think I've ever even leveled up in it (or do you even level up? I have no idea, but I have never progressed my character in any fashion whatsoever). It seems like you're expected to spend a long time doing... something? to get stronger before ever stepping foot out of town, but there's no indication of what that is that I've ever found. Like there's some kind of "Looting the Joppa chests" equivalent that I'm missing.

It seems like it would be a fun game once you have the means to deal with its crunchiness (like actually being able to afford healing supplies) but I have no idea how to get there

the curve when you first step in is steep, i agree. if you already have the game, i think you should try giving it another shot. i'm not even close to being an expert, but would suggest the following:

- skip the prologue.
- pick dirwin (his special is once you hit an enemy, they get -20% dodge and +20% dmg taken for 10 turns) so your attacks usually stick afterwards.
- after the initial conversation, talk to the guy again and ask for his ring (free stats). also talk to the drunk in town to get a quest and you can give him the booze he wants for a random enchanted amulet (you can by the booze from a nearby vendor but will also need to buy an id scroll to id it).
- with your starting cash, you want to make sure you have a bandage (for bleeds), healing salves (to heal wounded parts), herbal extract(s) to manage your pain levels, a few splints (to fix injured limbs), and a lockpick to open doors / chests.
- fill out missing armor slots when you can at first, as each part has separate stats / protection that gets accounted for.
- always use a main hand weapon and shield until you find books and gear so that allow you to skill up and switch into the playstyle you want.
- initially when fighting, you always want to engage from distance (i prefer a bow as you don't need to waste turns reloading) to whittle down hp on one enemy. when they start getting closer, maneuver so that you're in a better position at a doorway so you only have to engage one at a time, using line of sight to your advantage like so:

where your character is diagonal to the doorway, and enemies are bottlenecked so you're only fighting one on one at a time. step back further if needed to los range enemies bringing them closer into the doorway.
- make sure you heal up and rest between fights when clearing the dungeon so you've got as much hp as you can to give yourself the best possible chance.
- don't pay for food at first (you can forage as you explore the world), don't pay for more than one night at the inn at a time, and always make sure you are fully rested to get the vigor buff (+energy, +xp). avoid fighting when it rains as the debuff stacks quickly and wrecks your stats (increases fumble, lowers resists).
- explore around the first town and work towards getting a level before you take on the first quest - there's no urgency and in fact you could wander around the entire map, killing mobs, looting points of interest, etc. open world style.
- graveyards / crypts and some ruins have corpses and graves that you can loot for a chance at free loot when you start out (avoid graveyards at night as they spawn ghouls which will chase you down).
- avoid fights with animals as they are stronger than a lot of human enemies, and depending on the distance, you can run away from a lot of fights in the world map by diagonally cutting across two map tiles to "lose" the enemy.
- make sure you're only picking up good loot (i.e. 50+ per slot), avoid grabbing weapons / armor unless they are upgrades as they never sell for much at all. make sure you're selling loot to the right vendor (weapons to the blacksmith, jewelry and misc. to the general merchant, cloth / light armor, and pelts to the tailor, etc.) as diff. vendors will pay different amounts.
- don't waste money on id'ing everything unless it's for a weapon type you want to main, or a potential upgrade.

swords seem to be pretty strong, and an easy first point skill is keeping distance (you move one space back, and if the enemy steps forward next to you, you do a free attack which has a high stagger and bleed chance). another useful skill for surviving to work towards is dash (under athletics) to keep distance. you can also enchant your weapons with life steal which will make your survivability go up meaningfully.

a whole bunch of words but still barely scratches the surface as the game is pretty complex - it's got a great aesthetic and a lot happening under the hood (see below for combat as an example).

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005

Awesome! posted:

I recall getting Megabyte Punch as part of a bundle way back when. Think Subspace Emissary but with destructible terrain, swap out robot limbs to gain new options for both combat and traversal. And occasionally a stock match against a "boss" robot on a flat stage and ironically that's where the game is at its weakest.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Stoneshard got infinitely more bearable for me once I installed Cheat Engine and enabled a hotkey to toggle the game's speed by 2x. Made traveling the world vastly less time-consuming. The base speed is fine for dungeon crawling but egads it took forever to go a few map tiles.

Last King posted:

the curve when you first step in is steep, i agree. if you already have the game, i think you should try giving it another shot. i'm not even close to being an expert, but would suggest the following:
- pick dirwin (his special is once you hit an enemy, they get -20% dodge and +20% dmg taken for 10 turns) so your attacks usually stick afterwards.

Arna is also a good choice: she starts with a solid cuirass (needs repairing) and a 18-damage sword, and her trait gives her -2.5% damage reduction for each visible enemy, so she's much more likely to be able to survive accidentally stepping into a bad situation.

I found bows to be completely useless without either putting a point in Take Aim, or getting a better bow that doesn't start with -65% Accuracy baked in.

Finishing the first contract gives you roughly 500 gold, which is more than enough to load up on healing supplies.

Last King posted:

an easy first point skill is keeping distance (you move one space back, and if the enemy steps forward next to you, you do a free attack which has a high stagger and bleed chance). another useful skill for surviving to work towards is dash (under athletics) to keep distance. you can also enchant your weapons with life steal which will make your survivability go up meaningfully.

War Cry in the Combat Mastery tree is also great, it slaps all visible enemies with a massive debuff and gives you a huge Battle Rage buff. It can singlehandedly carry you through the first two contracts from the village elder. The cooldown is also short enough that once the debuff/buff expires you can just kite for a while before hollering again.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

Diephoon posted:

OK sometimes it's literally just Smash Bros

https://i.imgur.com/6Nuiscr.mp4

I'm having fun though! 3 weapons, Hades style meta progression between runs, unlocking new features that will appear on the map, etc.

Smash Bros should absolutely rip this off for adventure mode.

Not gonna lie, this looks really cool but I saw that .gif out of the corner of my eye initially and the "HIDDEN RIFT DISCOVERED" popup looked like it said "HIDDEN NFT DISCOVERED" and I got real worried. Thankfully that wasn't the case.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

i hate this this stupid loving flow chart is exactly what i needed to be interested in this game.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I went from having no real interest in Stoneshard to quite a bit from that effort post of advice.

Did it just come out of EA or something?

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

It's still in EA. A lot of the team is Ukrainian so they've been slowed for reasons, but the game has improved a lot since the initial release.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

They also released a new devlog update a few days ago: https://steamcommunity.com/games/625960/announcements/detail/3696932373455214122

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
is the pacing still glacial because that is what killed it for me when i tried the demo a while back

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Snooze Cruise posted:

is the pacing still glacial because that is what killed it for me when i tried the demo a while back

Yes. The game's also capped at 40 fps :whitewater:

I play at 2x speed and it really helps to alleviate both issues.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

SKULL.GIF posted:

The game's also capped at 40 fps :whitewater:

wtf...

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Perfect for steam deck, however last time I tried to didn't have great controllwr support so wasn't very playable on deck.

Ant better?

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Does Across the Obelisk have a decent end game? I played it over the free weekend, but I am kind of torn on buying it. I enjoyed it somewhat, but each campaign seemed awfully long and individual battles were unpleasantly slow. It also felt like the game was literally unbeatable unless you have numerous failed 4 hour slogs to invest into the metaprogression and in unlocking characters and cards. Maybe I was just bad though, I never beat it over the free weekend.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Pain of Mind posted:

Does Across the Obelisk have a decent end game? I played it over the free weekend, but I am kind of torn on buying it. I enjoyed it somewhat, but each campaign seemed awfully long and individual battles were unpleasantly slow. It also felt like the game was literally unbeatable unless you have numerous failed 4 hour slogs to invest into the metaprogression and in unlocking characters and cards. Maybe I was just bad though, I never beat it over the free weekend.

I really liked it. It's very much a game about bullshit escalating by incremental degrees on both sides, and a late-game party will be able to do pretty crazy stuff. Some of that is based on unlocks and character metaprogression but a lot is also just deck thinning, equipment and upgrades.

I didn't feel particularly inhibited by the metaprogression but then I rarely do.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Of Blade & Tails is another pivot option on the rough sort that Stoneshard is serving up:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1768780/Of_Blades__Tails/

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Of Blade & Tails is another pivot option on the rough sort that Stoneshard is serving up:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1768780/Of_Blades__Tails/

Oh poo poo it's Inherit the Earth but a roguelike.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i like the pixel animal people but the actual portraits in that feel so goofy to me lol, fox man looks too seirous

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

i like the pixel animal people but the actual portraits in that feel so goofy to me lol, fox man looks too seirous

Lotta pixel art games have this problem. It's usually more pronounced where portraits are in a completely different art style though.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I realize its kinda a little unprecedented other than Shiren but I really want one of these old school style games that has both graphics and controller support. There's very little out there that meets those requirements.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Runa posted:

Lotta pixel art games have this problem. It's usually more pronounced where portraits are in a completely different art style though.

i feel ya, which is why the stoneshard art is on point!

been all around pretty surprised with the quality of this game...

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Shiren is on sale on Switch: https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/shiren-the-wanderer-the-tower-of-fortune-and-the-dice-of-fate-switch/

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

BurningBeard posted:

I realize its kinda a little unprecedented other than Shiren but I really want one of these old school style games that has both graphics and controller support. There's very little out there that meets those requirements.

Tangledeep?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Mithross posted:

Tangledeep?

Eh I had a feeling someone would mention it. More modern design than what I'm thinking of. I want Crawl or CoQ with a big glow up and controller support. Yeah yeah I know it's highly implausible.

It is a really excellent game though and I wouldn't have heard of it if not for this thread.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mithross posted:

Tangledeep?

i love tangledeep and i wish there were more games like that....

e: i know about shiren but for some reason i ust have a really hard time getting into the mystery dungeon games. they just don't grip me at all

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Apr 6, 2023

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

BurningBeard posted:

Eh I had a feeling someone would mention it. More modern design than what I'm thinking of. I want Crawl or CoQ with a big glow up and controller support. Yeah yeah I know it's highly implausible.

It is a really excellent game though and I wouldn't have heard of it if not for this thread.

Umm... if that's what you're after then there's a decent chance that after the next TOME expansion hits, someone will make a steam deck acceptable control scheme, if no one has already. That doesn't really translate all the way back to a regular gamepad but it's about as close as you are likely to see (not that TOME has amazing graphics)

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
…maybe POWDER?

Honorable mention: Jupiter Hell, not really old school enough however.

I feel like there should be more I’m just not aware of, but that’s just a suspicion. Rather then something I forgot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

BurningBeard posted:

Good news! CoQ was greenlit for the Steam Deck which I think means it's playable using console controls? I've not personally tried it but it's worth looking into.