Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

HolePisser1982 posted:

spent 2 hours losing my poo poo at a big hokusai exhibit @ MFA Boston. felt like my brain was overheating lol, just getting my rear end handed to me by wall after wall of the sickest woodcut prints and the godly art they inspired. and now i'm all fuckin juiced up

I'm pretty drat jealous. What were your favorite pieces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Sleng Teng posted:

I'm pretty drat jealous. What were your favorite pieces?

Lol this gloomy waterfall piece that had a real dank creepy vibe that I loved

and the illustrations of any of the "fighting big monster centipede/dragon/fish" tales obviously had me pogging as a souls/monhun head (and i love the creativity of the little spirals inside of each fish scale. sooo much imaginative mark making)

I got super pumped at seeing the feet on this guy rendered as just starbursts?? (Will be stealing that for sure.) But also just floored at how much dimensionality was in the woodcut prints, how many things like little crests of waves or scales on fish had been subtly pressed into the paper.

And then for works inspired by:
This optical illusion-y fake wooden dresser (it's nearly flat) just with all kinds of epic inlays blew me away

This multi-layered stained glass carp I thought was just immaculate

and lastly, this trippy rear end motherfuckin "Chemical Waterfall" had me stoked. Lol got fully body chills a couple times in the exhibition and tactically took some time to sit and draw various things to cool down

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

HolePisser1982 posted:

and the illustrations of any of the "fighting big monster centipede/dragon/fish" tales obviously had me pogging as a souls/monhun head (and i love the creativity of the little spirals inside of each fish scale. sooo much imaginative mark making)

I got super pumped at seeing the feet on this guy rendered as just starbursts?? (Will be stealing that for sure.) But also just floored at how much dimensionality was in the woodcut prints, how many things like little crests of waves or scales on fish had been subtly pressed into the paper.

This optical illusion-y fake wooden dresser (it's nearly flat) just with all kinds of epic inlays blew me away

and lastly, this trippy rear end motherfuckin "Chemical Waterfall" had me stoked. Lol got fully body chills a couple times in the exhibition and tactically took some time to sit and draw various things to cool down

buying a ticket to boston

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

this Katsushika Oi piece was the other one to give me a bigass head rush. just insane quality on everything

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

drat i gotta check this out..

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

HolePisser1982 posted:

spent 2 hours losing my poo poo at a big hokusai exhibit @ MFA Boston. felt like my brain was overheating lol, just getting my rear end handed to me by wall after wall of the sickest woodcut prints and the godly art they inspired. and now i'm all fuckin juiced up

nice! i am planning to go in a couple weeks!

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Tales of Woe posted:

drat i gotta check this out..

Pragmatica posted:

nice! i am planning to go in a couple weeks!

it's so goated

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

HolePisser1982 posted:

this owns

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i ws in detroit last week and hit the detroit institute of art and its fuckin kickass, had to leave early so i couldnt do the asian wing but we skimmed through to get back to the car and it's fuckin cool. super excited to head back

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Museums ftw

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

HolePisser1982 posted:

HolePisser1982 posted:

this Katsushika Oi piece was the other one to give me a bigass head rush. just insane quality on everything

god drat these kick rear end. thank you for sharing.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

i've never been to any of the museums in boston, or seen much of it really. need to go back and fix that one day. I've at least been to all the big names in NY and I adore them

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

this!!!!!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

HolePisser1982 posted:

sick as hell, i'm gettin jelly lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

debating going to Otakon this year and if i wanna head down a day early if i do just to check out the Smithsonian since it's been at least a decade since i've visited it

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Sleng Teng posted:

dude, my pleasure! thanks for asking!

the boston art scene def pales in comparison to NYC's embarrassment of riches but hell, I can't complain. stoked to get a summer new york trip in tho

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

going to Japan for 2 weeks and most looking forward to a ukiyoe gallery on the travel plans. now I'm extra in the mood.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

HolePisser1982 posted:

get this: hokusoy

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The MFA is expensive but it’s a great museum, probably at least as big as the Met. I’ve been to all the NYC museums a million times but I still like to go when I’m there

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The MFA is expensive but it’s a great museum, probably at least as big as the Met. I’ve been to all the NYC museums a million times but I still like to go when I’m there

even moma?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ive been to moma a few times and i always left disgusted and annoyed

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

HolePisser1982 posted:

god this is so loving cool

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

mysterious loyall X posted:

get this: hokusoy

read the room dude. that is not okay

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Last time I was in New York I went to the Met and they had a bunch of paintings from the old Dutch masters on display, my favorite was "Merrymaking at Shrovetide" by Frans Hals

They couldn't get away with explicit scenes back then so it's littered with sausages as stand-in dicks, dude was horny as hell. 17th century deer guy

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Fortaleza posted:

Last time I was in New York I went to the Met and they had a bunch of paintings from the old Dutch masters on display, my favorite was "Merrymaking at Shrovetide" by Frans Hals

They couldn't get away with explicit scenes back then so it's littered with sausages as stand-in dicks, dude was horny as hell. 17th century deer guy

lmao what a little freak

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

detail of an absolutely gnarly looking dragon from one of hokusai's books of drawings they had on display

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

They are all amazing, this one in particular is incredibly powerful to me. Thanks for sharing!

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Leadthumb posted:

They are all amazing, this one in particular is incredibly powerful to me. Thanks for sharing!

it's so loving good dude. art ftw

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I've been to MOMA a bunch but not in like at least 15 years probably.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I don't even remember anything I saw there except for a bunch of Chuck Close paintings before he got cancelled for sex pestery

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

HolePisser1982 posted:

it's so loving good dude. art ftw

This. Recently went to the Salvador Dali museum and it was loving mind blowing. His early surreallist stuff is clearly really good, but his late in life 'nuclear mysticism' works are on a completely different level from anything I've seen.

Like, it's impressive enough looking at it on a computer, but what you don't realize until you get there is that all his 'nuclear mysticism' stuff is like two stories tall, they're absoutely huge and loving impeccable down to the last detail.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Plebian Parasite posted:

This. Recently went to the Salvador Dali museum and it was loving mind blowing. His early surreallist stuff is clearly really good, but his late in life 'nuclear mysticism' works are on a completely different level from anything I've seen.

Like, it's impressive enough looking at it on a computer, but what you don't realize until you get there is that all his 'nuclear mysticism' stuff is like two stories tall, they're absoutely huge and loving impeccable down to the last detail.

:staredog:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Sleng Teng posted:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Dali is an rear end freak. And for that we love him.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

HolePisser1982 posted:

so sick, goddamn.

been curious. For the woodcuts do they have like, period prints that have been preserved from that time, or do they reuse the blocks to print new ones? I was reading some article about a new kind of blue that didn't fade like older ones, that Hokusai got a hold of and inspired his views of mount Fuji and it got me wondering how well old prints hold up compared to e.g. oil on canvas

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Arch Nemesis posted:

so sick, goddamn.

been curious. For the woodcuts do they have like, period prints that have been preserved from that time, or do they reuse the blocks to print new ones? I was reading some article about a new kind of blue that didn't fade like older ones, that Hokusai got a hold of and inspired his views of mount Fuji and it got me wondering how well old prints hold up compared to e.g. oil on canvas

IIRC from the 2015 exhibition I went to they had original period prints from Hokusai's lifetime as well as ones printed later. They had the full 36 Views of Mt. Fuji on exhibition which was fully sick. I'd like to see the new exhibit but I dunno if I'll be able to make it to Boston before it ends

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Arch Nemesis posted:

so sick, goddamn.

These seemed to be immaculately preserved original-ish prints, tho I don't know enough about the print runs of the time. and yeah there were some cases where ie- an unstable purple dye on a robe had dulled down to nearly grey, but generally any bit of aging on the surface just gave it character. That indigo blue dye was some primo fuckin poo poo tho, it still feels super lush when you see it in person. Like almost dripping down from the heavens in the "Red Fuji" print:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

related: props to the Mayan people who figured out mixing a type of plant w/ some clay to produce a gorgeous blue pigment that's completely impervious to time, light, all elements, etc