Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Ensign Expendable posted:

Finished a fairly large project: an Academy Achilles Ic:

This was actually a pretty lengthy build. Almost the full interior is present in the kit, even engine compartment details, ironically aside from the engine itself. I made my job harder by melting the ammo racks by accident and then having to scratch build my own. Thankfully, the kit comes with five spare rounds. With the storage box on top of the commander's side rack, you can't fit all five on that side anyway, so it all worked out.

The kit comes with a decent amount of stowage, but I also made use of the Tamiya and Academy stowage kits. The .50 cal is from the separate Academy kit as well. For some reason it was a lot better than the one that came with the kit, even though I think they were made in the same year. The periscopes are taken from an old Dragon kit, since the ones that came with this one weren't transparent. I actually had to file them down to get them to fit.

The most annoying thing about the kit was the ejection marks. Huge deep ones everywhere, in the hardest to reach places. Incredibly annoying. On the plus side, it comes with a lot of spare running gear parts. Not quite Dragon level, but you get a lot of variety when it comes to wheels and idlers.

There were a few things that I tried for the first time: use of gold metallic marker on the brass (worked very well), interference gold paint on the headlights (maybe not as well) and stencils for scratches (mixed feelings on this one).

I will second that the red/black stencil weathering looks kind of odd, but mostly it stands out because every other aspect of the model is sooo good.

I wanted to share the newest release from Plasmo, in which he literally gilds a Land Raider with real gold leaf. Which still costs less than the actual model, because haha Games Workshop. The man has gone insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
The dreadnought Queen Elizabeth has eighteen freaking boats on it.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

ugh i really wish thin plastic tubes making up things like the t-55 headlight cage would always just come as PE. or just a single loving piece instead of individual tubes

oh well at least one frame survived so i can make copies
Son of a bitch! I hand-made a headlight cage for a Czech t34 I was working on because I couldn't find any pre-made ones. Apparently t55 headlight cage was the magic search term, because that's exactly what was on the tank I was reproducing.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Vorenus posted:

I will second that the red/black stencil weathering looks kind of odd, but mostly it stands out because every other aspect of the model is sooo good.

I wanted to share the newest release from Plasmo, in which he literally gilds a Land Raider with real gold leaf. Which still costs less than the actual model, because haha Games Workshop. The man has gone insane.

At one point he says that if you play WH40K, you will understand the significance of the gold leaf. I don't play, so can you explain it to me? Is it just a mockery of how overpriced their models are, or does gold have some significance for that army?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Skunkduster posted:

At one point he says that if you play WH40K, you will understand the significance of the gold leaf. I don't play, so can you explain it to me? Is it just a mockery of how overpriced their models are, or does gold have some significance for that army?

I don't play 40k either, but I know enough that Adeptus Custodes are the Emperor's personal guard, and gold is a big part of their color scheme, probably because the Emperor sits on the Golden Throne?

IDK I think the modeler is overselling it, and works better as a mockery of the price than "these guys wear gilded armor in the loooooore."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm not saying he's definitely doing an April Fools thing, but last year on March 31st was when he put out the video of a World of Tanks Maus with an AA gun on top of the turret

So I expect "the looooore" is a way to "justify" slapping gold leaf all over a warham without just saying "I did this because it's funny"

Phy fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 3, 2023

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
As Warmachine said, gold is the standard color for the Custodes. It definitely works both for lore and for poking fun at GW's ridiculous pricing. I still think he's (hilariously) out of his mind to gild a tank for a gag, but either way I enjoyed it.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

FPyat posted:

The dreadnought Queen Elizabeth has eighteen freaking boats on it.

I feel for you. I'm looking at putting together one hundred 25mm AA guns for the Kongo. Each consists of at least 4 parts. I think that increases to 8 per unit if you add the 4 little braces between the baseplate and the gun pedestal. :psyduck:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Vorenus posted:

As Warmachine said, gold is the standard color for the Custodes. It definitely works both for lore and for poking fun at GW's ridiculous pricing. I still think he's (hilariously) out of his mind to gild a tank for a gag, but either way I enjoyed it.

In his defense, after watching the whole video, it did come out kinda sick looking. And it's an excellent riff on GW that the gold leaf was of comparable price to their gold paint. It was also nice seeing how he did his LED stuff, since I'm working on a project involving those right now as well and was planning to do what he did regarding using resin to create the lens effect.

I cannot stress this enough: gently caress Games Workshop.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Do they still call their miniatures “Jewels of Wonder” or whatever the gently caress they used to excuse their prices?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Warmachine posted:

In his defense, after watching the whole video, it did come out kinda sick looking. And it's an excellent riff on GW that the gold leaf was of comparable price to their gold paint. It was also nice seeing how he did his LED stuff, since I'm working on a project involving those right now as well and was planning to do what he did regarding using resin to create the lens effect.

I completely agree, and I don't mean "insane" as a pejorative.

I've really wanted to do a Tau Commander or Dreadnought model, maybe even a Titan, but I look at the price and and the size and I just laugh to myself.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The really depressing thing about GW's prices these days is that by licenced wargaming standards they're not that bad. They're solidly middle of the pack now.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Every time I feel bad about how much I've just spent on a scale model kit, I simply look at the price of a 40k kit or a model railway locomotive and feel slightly better.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I always have my old gun collection to look back on to keep things in perspective. Over the last 10 years of modeling, I've probably still not spent as much as I did on one of my more esoteric guns. Plus, I get infinitely more joy out of building a model than I did getting a gun and putting it in the back of my gun safe in perpetuity.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
The thing about hobbies (at least the vast majority of them) is that by their very nature they are expensive regardless of what they are and how much money you have.
The purpose of hobbies is to utilize your free time and disposable income, whatever that might be. If you're poor than buying some basic paints and a couple models and laboring over them will do the trick, if you're rich then buying lots of models, fancy equipment and traveling to hobby shows will be on how you spend your money and time. The same goes for Model Trains, Classic Cars, Playing Music, Board Games, Motocross, Golf and just about every other hobby you can name.

I mostly paint Warhammer minis, but I dabble in traditional scale models, and gundams, the kits are cheaper, but that just means I buy more of them, and spend more money on extra nonsense like tools and paints.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Warmachine posted:

Over a decade ago, I bought a Tau Piranha because I thought it looked cool. I was pretty disappointed in the fit, finish, and level of detail compared to what you would get for the same price from Hasegawa or Tamiya. I posted my thoughts and a sentiment similar to yours in the WH40K miniatures thread and found how how loyal their fanbase really was. I've been too afraid to post again in that thread since then.

Are their any companies that make fantasy vehicles like that, but as detailed scale models instead of clunky toys?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

My dad gave me this old modelmaking guide, it’s got some fun tips to get that 80s look

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Skunkduster posted:

Over a decade ago, I bought a Tau Piranha because I thought it looked cool. I was pretty disappointed in the fit, finish, and level of detail compared to what you would get for the same price from Hasegawa or Tamiya. I posted my thoughts and a sentiment similar to yours in the WH40K miniatures thread and found how how loyal their fanbase really was. I've been too afraid to post again in that thread since then.

Are their any companies that make fantasy vehicles like that, but as detailed scale models instead of clunky toys?
The Gunpla thread will probably be able to point you at fancy tanks for Gundam to blow up. Other than that you're probably looking at established franchise kits like Star Wars, Star Trek, Macross etc for spaceships, with maybe some robots here and there.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Skunkduster posted:

I am actively working on one of the big GW showcase models right now. Recent manufacture, modern molding techniques, all that stuff. It still sucks in detail and fit compared to some Tamiya kits that are older than I am.

You want Bandai kits. Get you a big dumb robot in 1/144 for like fifteen bucks that goes together like a charm, or get a Master Grade for some absurd features.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Another dumb newbie question, sorry. I have the Tamiya acrylics for airbrushing but will they be okay for the small details that absolutely require a brush or for dry brushing? I looked online and from searching everyone says you can't do brushing with them and I'm wondering if that applies to any brush work or just using them for large brush work like base coating?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I brushed with them for years without any problems.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
They're not great for brushing, as they're a solvent based acrylic, so the paint tends to dry on your brush before you can even get it to the model. It can be done, but you have to really thin them down with thinner, and keep your brush clean so it doesn't get bogged down with dried pigment.

Much easier to grab yourself a few true acrylics in the colors needed from any of the major brands, i.e. Games Workshop, Vallejo, Ak Interactive, etc etc.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Skunkduster posted:

There's an absolutely gorgeous Bandai kit called the M61A5, and I desperately want to buy and build it. Unfortunately, (I'm assuming due to rarity) it makes GW stuff look quite reasonable at $240.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Skunkduster posted:

You just described Gunpla and, in general, anything made by Bandai. Their basic niche is meticulously engineered fandom models that their experience with making absolutely bugfuck amounts of mecha kits for 40 years feeds into. I posted this video in the gunpla thread, and one of the things he touches on is the fit and finish and how impressive Bandai kits are in that regard. Even the jankiest Bandai kits will give your average scale model a run for its money on fit and finish. They spend stupid amounts of money and effort on the engineering and it shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMAOZNnP3OY

And, speaking of the gold-leaf Land Raider and GW in general, I got the exact same kit when I was much younger, and I still remember how awful the fitment was. This was well before I knew what 'Tamiya White' and 'Sanding Sticks' were.

Vorenus posted:

There's an absolutely gorgeous Bandai kit called the M61A5, and I desperately want to buy and build it. Unfortunately, (I'm assuming due to rarity) it makes GW stuff look quite reasonable at $240.

Oh gently caress me, and gently caress you for bringing this to my attention. And yeah, I'm pretty sure anything in the "U.C. Hardgraph" line is going to be marked up to high hell now, since I think they only got a (very) limited run in the early late 2000s? I'd have to double check.

https://gundam.fandom.com/wiki/Universal_Century_Hard_Graph

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 4, 2023

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Warmachine posted:

Oh gently caress me, and gently caress you for bringing this to my attention. And yeah, I'm pretty sure anything in the "U.C. Hardgraph" line is going to be marked up to high hell now, since I think they only got a (very) limited run in the early late 2000s? I'd have to double check.

https://gundam.fandom.com/wiki/Universal_Century_Hard_Graph

They rerun those periodically though not as often as more popular sellers. Keep an eye out over the next couple of years, we're about due for another printing.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If the 40k aesthetic is something that actually matters then checking out Etsy for 3d printed kits or resin casts of 3d printed kits might be an option for you too.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Another dumb newbie question, sorry. I have the Tamiya acrylics for airbrushing but will they be okay for the small details that absolutely require a brush or for dry brushing? I looked online and from searching everyone says you can't do brushing with them and I'm wondering if that applies to any brush work or just using them for large brush work like base coating?

Echoing the comment that Tamiya acrylics dry very quickly, but they sell a product they call "Paint Retarder (Acrylic)" that slows the drying time nicely.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

MyronMulch posted:

Echoing the comment that Tamiya acrylics dry very quickly, but they sell a product they call "Paint Retarder (Acrylic)" that slows the drying time nicely.

I'm pretty sure this is because Tamiya uses alcohol as their solvent instead of water, which most other acrylic manufacturers do. On one hand, this makes it great for airbrushing because of the quick drying effect. On the other, that makes it harder to deal with brushing.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It varies wildly from colour to colour as far as I can tell. I've had Tamiya acrylics brush on fine, and then the next colour fails to survive a second brushstroke and takes off the colour below it.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Maybe I should just buy some Vallejos and save myself the worry

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Well, try both. Half of hobbies is experimenting and finding out what works and what doesn't, and discovering something new along the way. Even the top modelers in the world will be done wrong by a product now and again, but messing around leads to new techniques and skills.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I agree with what Hedgehog said and will add that experimentation is why a lot of us keep paint mules around. I have an old P-39 kit that was an absolute failure for me that I use to try out new paints and techniques before I try them on the kit I'm actively working on.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've lost one of the 1/350 ship propellers for my Dreadnought - it was on my desk in a cup and now it's just completely gone. Before I break into the surplus kit I had earmarked for resale, is there anywhere online which supplies just the propellers?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Southern Heel posted:

I've lost one of the 1/350 ship propellers for my Dreadnought - it was on my desk in a cup and now it's just completely gone. Before I break into the surplus kit I had earmarked for resale, is there anywhere online which supplies just the propellers?

Did...

Did you take a sip from that cup?....

:ohdear:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Southern Heel posted:

Scalemates says this at least exists, you just need to rummage through google to find a stockist

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Ah, another member of the It Was Right Here Three loving Seconds Ago Club. Welcome, brother. We are a proud, if not frustrated, people.

Edit: one step closer to that seascape diorama. :pervert:

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 5, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Southern Heel posted:

The carpet monster claims another.

Thoughts and prayers. I lost not one but two parts in my previous build. I tore apart my whole hobby room to find the first. The second I didn't discover until much later, at which point it had already been crushed.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

I've found the most foolproof way to find something I've lost to the carpet monster is to immediately start scratch-building a replacement from sheet styrene or leftover PE and by the time I'm finished I will find the missing part on top of my shoe or something.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Well, try both. Half of hobbies is experimenting and finding out what works and what doesn't, and discovering something new along the way. Even the top modelers in the world will be done wrong by a product now and again, but messing around leads to new techniques and skills.

Alright. I’ll attempt using both just to see. I might even prefer using both for various things anyway. I just like to get off on good habits when starting something new just so I don’t have to unlearn bad habits down the line (like when I started learning mandolin)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I have a mix of about 10 different brands of paints here. Mostly Vallejo, Tamiya, and MRP. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses, so don't sweat it if you have a hodgepodge of materials. It's part of the fun.