Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Hey kids, want to tape nuclear bombs back together that fell off the back of a truck No?....well you're going to get used to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

I wonder if, in part, it's because the career "video game writer" doesn't attract the best.

There was that woman who studied literature at Ryerson who was hired to work on, I think Ratchet & Clank, but then was fired for screaming about boobs all day, then was fired from the BioWare remake of KOTOR.

If you put yourself in the shoes of the publisher, who is videogame writing for, and who do you hire to do it? It seems like the answer to both is "twitter".

they hired Peter Watts to write a video game but inexplicably put him on Crysis 2 so I think the only indicator that he wrote it was the weirdly intricate and hard sci-fi descriptions of the North Korean power armor

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

FrancisFukyomama posted:

they hired Peter Watts to write a video game but inexplicably put him on Crysis 2 so I think the only indicator that he wrote it was the weirdly intricate and hard sci-fi descriptions of the North Korean power armor

Didn't he write the novel?

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

re:outer worlds I kinda wonder if the anemic politics was partially bc fallout didn’t really have very fleshed out politics in 1 and 2 and people sort of retroactively projected NV level political worldbuilding into 1 and 2 bc of the way they associated NV with classic fallout, and outer worlds being just the fallout 1 writers meant it fell short of expectations.

though granted the overall writing quality of outer worlds was a major step down from fallout 1 but at the least the superficial politics wasn’t really that much of a departure from 1

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i think they tried to make something with mass appeal because their stuff was always interesting but never sold that well, relatively. But I don't think it worked so they made a dumb boring game and it still only made mediocre numbers.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I’m hopeful for the sequel. I don’t want it to be epic anticommunism if it’s not going to be able to stick the landing and I hate the aforementioned 40 minute breadtube videos, so I just want a good sequel with all that Microsoft money.

Speaking of sequels and stupid amounts of money, part of the embargo for Jedi Survivor dropped today so streamers who went to some event all put videos up this morning. I’m hopeful.

Unfortunately Star Wars is Star Wars, but KOTOR was so good I keep hoping they’ll make another groundbreaking CRPG, and that IP has enough money behind it interesting things occasionally happen.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I thought Fallen Order was a decent game in the vein of Uncharted or Tomb Raider. Respawn has enough experienced developers in it that still know how to make a video game and adventure is about the best fit for Star Wars.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

it coming out at the same time as disco elysium also made its writing/worldbuilding look like poo poo by comparison

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
ah yes, star wars world building

wait till you see how the good guys win this time!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Not So Fast posted:

tbh if Ukraine haven't won after Trump gets re-elected in 2024 they're toast

What's left of Ukraine if this goes on for another one and a half year?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

FrancisFukyomama posted:

it coming out at the same time as disco elysium also made its writing/worldbuilding look like poo poo by comparison

tbh yeah. Watching deep political lore of FNV seems quaint in comparison now. Thank god the last soviets in the balts managed to make good art. Then they got couped by transatlantic capital lol.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I know it was a basic 3 act structure told in 3 game environments, plus audio logs (in case you didn’t get it) but I actually thought they did a pretty good job with the Zeffo history arc.

I’d say it was about as good as an Uncharted game in telling a story about the past through the use of spaces.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

BULBASAUR posted:

where did the emperor get the crews for all of those star destroyers in the last movie? were they also in the ground, or were they recruited after? where from? who made their uniforms? where did they get their food?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

Didn't he write the novel?

Yeah, they got the Altered Carbon guy to write for the game and put Watts on the novel.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

genericnick posted:

What's left of Ukraine if this goes on for another one and a half year?

Probably a lot unless the frontline collapse and the government fail cascade into oblivion.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
when your space video game has worse writing and shallower politics than lexx

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lmao anti war dissent

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

where did the emperor get the crews for all of those star destroyers in the last movie? were they also in the ground, or were they recruited after? where from? who made their uniforms? where did they get their food?

the super super super super star destroyer, which looks almost identical to the others, but somehow performs even worse

yet another victim of the for profit military industrial complex

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Oppressive totalitarian governments like the Galactic Empire can't make stuff good, thems the breaks.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

thats why tesb is the best sw film

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lmfao at loser finnish pm being owned by a video of singing or w/e

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
police... investigating a bombing??? Which they say is ILLEGAL? loving authoritarian shithole states!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I haven't found a source for it english but there's been a suggestion in the Duma for stiffer penalties enacted for terrorism. The girl that got picked up for it might get a life sentence, by girl I mean she's like 26.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

euphronius posted:

Lmao anti war dissent

Do you think that woman is a patsy like the Crimea Bridge truck driver?

Its that time
Nov 8, 2011
About Fallout, Bethesda games are just bad these days. I really hate how they handle bandits/raiders/whatever, just bad guys running around for the sake of being bad with no backstory or way to parley. In F:NV you could interact, to an extent, with some of the outlaws and their presence were usually justified in some way or another. In Bethesda's Fallouts, they are just there and that's it, same in Outer World. It just shows how little, little depth there is. Remember Todd said you don't need a story if you got an open world.

On Ukraine, OPEC commited to slash oil quotas, making the prices go up which will drive inflation and oil profits even higher. Looks like Saudi Arabia does not give a drat about what America thinks anymore. America's circle of friendship is getting less and less popular.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

you know how the pipeline bombing is a mystery but we all know who did it really?

well this isn't like that. There's so many factions, it could be any of them. It could be Ukraine, it could be Putin, it could be someone trying to get at Putin. Maybe Taiwan did it. The motive of killing the guy because he was a prominent blogger is a perfectly plausible one in these times. But so is the one where its a Navalny fan girl trying to strike at Putin. I'd also believe Putin would have a critic killed but I don't think he'd do it like this. Very messy. But it might be someone that likes Putin and was pissed at this guy complaining about the war.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

She's probably turbo hosed unless she can prove she was setup.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

A media franchise with good Worldbuilding is Gregg Turkington and Tim Heidecker's On Cinema At the Cinema Multimedia Universe

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Lostconfused posted:

Oppressive totalitarian governments like the Galactic Empire can't make stuff good, thems the breaks.

They weren't an oppressive totalitarian government. They had no infrastructure. No territory. I can understand that they might have had a fleet mothballed somewhere, but what about the people to operate them?

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

did they ever figure out what the deal with that was or did they just quietly forget about it bc the only two possibilities, it was a suicide bomber or it was some schmuck who got tricked into killing himself, were both too unpalatable to get a positive media spin on it

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Putin awarded him a posthumous order of courage, not really a critic or enemy of the state here. If you want to spin a false flag conspiracy here you'd need to go with some kind of martyr angle.

Otherwise most people on Russian side generally agree that it was Ukrainian special services behind it and just dumped her when she served her purpose.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

Otherwise most people on Russian side generally agree that it was Ukrainian special services behind it and just dumped her when she served her purpose.

In this case though it would show links between Ukrainian/US intelligence and the more radical portions of the liberal opposition. It seems in recent years that St.Pete was more of a hotbed than Moscow itself.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

supersnowman posted:

She's probably turbo hosed unless she can prove she was setup.

I saw a video of doorkickers grabbing her mom and sister yesterday. I guess considering they would have trained for Chechnya, it was no loving joke.

I’m just trying to follow the logic of a peace activist carrying out a terrorist attack at home. Nonviolent stuff like when Catholics burglarized draft offices during Vietnam, I get. Something like this would read a lot more like turning coat.

The fact that her family survived being taken into custody was a stroke of luck considering how heavy the antiterrorism response is in Russia. It seems like a peace activist, like a liberal western looking one, would not invite Alpha or Vympel knocking down their parents’ door as the cost of doing business.

The woman who was involved in the Dugina thing, Natalya Vovk, headed for the border immediately, and didn’t have family left in the country to get swept up in the dragnet.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ardennes posted:

In this case though it would show links between Ukrainian/US intelligence and the more radical portions of the liberal opposition. It seems in recent years that St.Pete was more of a hotbed than Moscow itself.

Well yeah, her husband or whatever already disavowed her. And yes nationalists do seem to be screaming about getting revenge on the "liberal opposition".

It also doesn't help that some of the people that took up a "no war" position have cheered on the terror bombing.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Al-Saqr posted:

isnt finding and destroying artillery a normal part of warfare using drones and aviation? what makes this situation unique?

Normally we're the ones who do it. When others do it too it's just not fair! (stamps feet)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

Well yeah, her husband or whatever already disavowed her. And yes nationalists do seem to be screaming about getting revenge on the "liberal opposition".

It also doesn't help that some of the people that took up a "no war" position have cheered on the terror bombing.

As I was saying, a lot of the anti-war liberals are more organized and "hard-core" than people in the West think. Less about her personally, but I am not surprised some of them have championed it and that the liberals now are less really about Putin or just stopping the war, but really about creating a "new Russia" that wouldn't resemble the old one.

It is hard to talk about left v right wing in this case, its more Westernizers and Slavophiles but willing to spill blood over it. The Union of Salvation but they want to give the crown to King George.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 21:45 on Apr 3, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Al! posted:

that all sounds great but i think im probably not going to play anything but Against The Storm ever again

Against The Storm is what the Armed Forces of Ukraine have been doing all this time

Slava

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FrancisFukyomama posted:

re:outer worlds I kinda wonder if the anemic politics was partially bc fallout didn’t really have very fleshed out politics in 1 and 2 and people sort of retroactively projected NV level political worldbuilding into 1 and 2 bc of the way they associated NV with classic fallout, and outer worlds being just the fallout 1 writers meant it fell short of expectations.

though granted the overall writing quality of outer worlds was a major step down from fallout 1 but at the least the superficial politics wasn’t really that much of a departure from 1

I've never played any of the Fallouts and I thought Outer Worlds was garbage, so it isn't that

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
is it good that poland is ramping up military procurement and recruitment while belarus is hosting russian troops and getting nuclear weapons? more weapons means more peace, right?

right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I feel like Russian swat guys are fundamentally different than US ones.

Like they don't do no knock raids. They definitely raid but they definitely knock and serve a warrant first, then they knock down the door if you don't open up.

For some "political" orgs it seems almost blase where they get raided several times a year or something.