Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I understand that each step I take closer to an offer raises the cost of withdrawal. I'll work with the timing as best I can, but won't try to force anything as they both seem like good options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Red posted:

I'm working on it.

I just had interview #3 (of 4) for a new role with a great company, and it went extremely well - ran 40 minutes over, and ended with the lead interviewer noting she took her job as a leap of faith (she was unsure if it was the 'perfect' fit for her), and asked what about this role excited me or gave me hesitancy.

I studied for this one, printed my resume, notes and questions, and the job posting, and asked some follow-up questions from the previous round as well as new questions.

The final round is with HR, but I would guess that's more of a negotiation stage.

So this was a no, but the recruiter let me know I interviewed well, they just went with another candidate.

It just loving sucks to go through rounds of interviews over a month and have it amount to dick.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Red posted:

So this was a no, but the recruiter let me know I interviewed well, they just went with another candidate.

It just loving sucks to go through rounds of interviews over a month and have it amount to dick.

It sucks, but know that it wasn't a "yes or no" choice for them, but they had to pick 1 candidate and drop the rest. The other candidate may have been internal, a referral, related to the CFO, etc. The good news is based on everything you experienced you "passed" by any measure so you know you were applying to the right job at the right time, it just wasn't the right place. Now you've got a solid idea of what your market is.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

The thing I hate is smashing all the non-technical parts of the interview, but then for the technical interview/coding test you get an aggressive turbonerd who seems to treat you like some sort of threat. So even if his manager thinks you're great, the interview gets deep sixed because you didn't do a SQL window function to his liking.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Just assume you did it better than him and he recognised a threat.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

That's a good point, and it does help alleviate the frustration somewhat. And there's the question of whether I would want to work with someone that insufferable anyways.

On the other hand, I need a job before rent and bills money run out, so...I have mixed feelings (fortunately I'll be able to stay afloat for some months to come).

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Seventh Arrow posted:

The thing I hate is smashing all the non-technical parts of the interview, but then for the technical interview/coding test you get an aggressive turbonerd who seems to treat you like some sort of threat. So even if his manager thinks you're great, the interview gets deep sixed because you didn't do a SQL window function to his liking.

If the manager lets that happen, they’re a poo poo manager, imo.

Shats Basoon
Jun 13, 2013

Having an argument regarding what to do with a pre-employment drug screen with some friends so I'd like to put it to a third party.
-Recreational is legal in this state
-He has received an offer. The position is for a tech position, 6+ figgies.
-The job description did not make note of the offer being contingent on a drug screen and was not mentioned in any interviews (except for from the recruiter )
-The recruiter asked him if drug tests were a problem and he told her he uses occasionally, recreationally and an employer who drug tests might not be a good fit.
-According to him, he 150 mg of edibles over the last month
-After the offer he was told he needed to pass a drug test within 72 hours.

I suggested he should tell them he isn't available on short notice, get some OTC THC tests and offer to do the test this upcoming week.
A friend suggested he should be upfront with the employer, let them know he uses THC recreationally and might not pass the test and let the chips fall where they may.

What would you do in his position? Besides get in a time machine and not do drugs before looking for a job.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Say nothing, piss hot, tell them they're fools if they make a fuss about it

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
is this like a fed contractor job or something

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
My gut says if they're the kind of company to drug test in a state where they know it's legal then they're the kind of company to withdraw the offer no matter what at this point "on principle".

So do whatever is funniest TBH.

Seventh Arrow posted:

That's a good point, and it does help alleviate the frustration somewhat. And there's the question of whether I would want to work with someone that insufferable anyways.
See? Win-win!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

The Resume and Interview ULTRATHREAD: Say nothing and piss hot

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Unsinkabear posted:

The Resume and Interview ULTRATHREAD: Say nothing and piss hot

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
If he can stall long enough to make a difference do that, don't mention anything and take the test. They may ignore a THC positive if they legally can. There are a bunch of places that still test but will get overruled when the position is hard to fill.

Don't put in the notice until he's sure the test has come back and they're still looking to hire him.

Shats Basoon
Jun 13, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

is this like a fed contractor job or something

No its not

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Do the stall + piss hot tactic then

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Are you even sure the test will screen for THC?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

If I'm applying at a place where I worked before (and I left on good terms), how much would it rocket me past the competition if I could get a bunch of glowing reviews from the people I used to work with? Employees who are still at the company, including people in similar roles and also managers .

I know every hiring manager is different, but just roll with it for the sake of argument.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Seventh Arrow posted:

If I'm applying at a place where I worked before (and I left on good terms), how much would it rocket me past the competition if I could get a bunch of glowing reviews from the people I used to work with? Employees who are still at the company, including people in similar roles and also managers .

I know every hiring manager is different, but just roll with it for the sake of argument.

It depends on the internal politics of the specific role and people involved.

It’s not a good sign that you don’t already know.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Seventh Arrow posted:

You should have your people send the hiring manager recommendations, yes. That's a tremendously valuable thing and if its the right people it may even make the interview perfunctory.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

It’s not a good sign that you don’t already know.

Do you mean in the sense of 'it should be obvious that recommendations help the hiring process'?

If so, you're probably right but being unemployed has a way of making a person frazzled.

Or do you mean in the sense of 'if the environment there is so politically turbulent that a recommendation could either boost or tank your application, depending'? Then I don't think that's the case.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Seventh Arrow posted:

Do you mean in the sense of 'it should be obvious that recommendations help the hiring process'?

If so, you're probably right but being unemployed has a way of making a person frazzled.

Or do you mean in the sense of 'if the environment there is so politically turbulent that a recommendation could either boost or tank your application, depending'? Then I don't think that's the case.
The latter, but not quite as dramatically as you suggest.

I mean it’s so highly dependent on the specific situation and people and politics than you’d be the best person to ask about it.

I meant that it’s a not a great sign when the person who knows the situation the best (you) is asking in a general way.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Yes, true! I was mainly thinking that recco's are usually not a thing in technical roles. But every little bit helps! I will start contacting people.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Lockback posted:

You should have your people send the hiring manager recommendations, yes. That's a tremendously valuable thing and if its the right people it may even make the interview perfunctory.

+1 have them call or email the hiring manager internally

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

After 12 years I am considering moving on from my current employer if the finances work out. I don't have to leave and I basically don't have any risk of losing my job as it is in critical infrastructure. Basically we have a new CEO and COO, things are getting hard to deal with. The industry is fairly small and there are only a handful of companies that might be able to meet my expectations. I picked two recruiters that I have been in contact over the years to have conversations with and did that last week. The vibe I got is that I might be pretty well paid based on the numbers they were talking, in which case I can still put up with what is happening at work.

I am pretty good about keeping my resume up to date but it needs a refresh from the last two years. I have never had a resume that was "generic", not tailored to the job I was applying to. In this case I will not be applying to jobs (or at least I don't plan to), jobs should be brought to me (we have a huge shortage of talent). Any advice on how to shape the resume? I plan to take into account the stuff in the OP but anything to consider in this scenario?

What should I do about a cover letter? I was probably just not going to do it since I can't make it specific to the job.

Anything else to consider in a situation like this?

In all honesty I am probably pretty well known to any of the companies that these two guys will pitch me to so not really sure how much all of this matters. (I would like to have a nice updated resume though).

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Recruiters will always try to convince you you’re overpaid because it makes you easier to place if you’re willing to take less money.

I’d disregard their input, imo.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yeah, I am not really hung up on that. I know they are just trying to get me to take a job and get paid.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Shats Basoon posted:

Having an argument regarding what to do with a pre-employment drug screen with some friends so I'd like to put it to a third party.
-Recreational is legal in this state
-He has received an offer. The position is for a tech position, 6+ figgies.
-The job description did not make note of the offer being contingent on a drug screen and was not mentioned in any interviews (except for from the recruiter )
-The recruiter asked him if drug tests were a problem and he told her he uses occasionally, recreationally and an employer who drug tests might not be a good fit.
-According to him, he 150 mg of edibles over the last month
-After the offer he was told he needed to pass a drug test within 72 hours.

I suggested he should tell them he isn't available on short notice, get some OTC THC tests and offer to do the test this upcoming week.
A friend suggested he should be upfront with the employer, let them know he uses THC recreationally and might not pass the test and let the chips fall where they may.

What would you do in his position? Besides get in a time machine and not do drugs before looking for a job.

Few days later, but I'm in a similar boat, or might be!

Currently in the final round of interviews for an IT gig and they do indeed drug test based on what I've been able to find out. In any case, I have a medical card in a medical legal, soon to be recreational legal state. I'm not going to say anything to them because it's none of their loving business, and I've just abstained from using for the last two weeks since I know a test might be in my future. I bought an OTC test pack, and have been borderline passing, so I think I'm good at this rate. My state (Maryland) doesn't offer any kind of employment protections for medical card holders unfortunately. Most places in my area from what I've heard through the grapevine, unless they are a federal contractor, do not give a poo poo or test. And if they do test, usually only test you prior to hiring you and then never again, and/or they outright ignore THC. Though I am not going to ask any potential employer if they care because it still has a stupid stigma attached to it unfortunately.

Anyways, If your friend isn't a heavy user other than the edibles over the past month, they might be fine. If not, :shrug:. Depending on the state, they might have legal protections unless it's a federal job or something that is DOT regulated. If I was your friend, I would delay taking the test for as long as possible, and absolutely not be upfront with the employer unless I take the test, piss hot, and then they mention it. At that point, you've got nothing to lose, but otherwise? So long as your friend isn't using while on the clock, it's none of their loving business, and it will likely not benefit them to tell HR before hand. Honestly, I can't wait till the feds finally stop giving a poo poo about it, that, or when I move to Canada where barely anyone gives a gently caress about it anymore.

So I highly doubt this is going to come to pass, because I don't think I am THAT lucky, but in any case. For the first time in my adult life, there is a possibility, however remote, I might receive two offers next week within a few days of each other. The first place I interviewed with last week said they would make a decision and let me know early next week after they interviewed all of their candidates. The place I'm having final interviews with this week, seems to be operating on a similar timeline. If I get an offer from one place, but haven't heard from the other and they might take another few days or another week to make a decision, what's the best way of handling that? I don't want to get greedy and try play one against the other, but it would be nice to have both offers in hand before making a decision one way or the other.

Honestly either job would be nice, but the one I'm doing final interviews for this week pays more (other place hasn't even mentioned salary yet, but based on glassdoor I think it's going to be less) and has a better WFH policy. I don't want to outright reject the first place before I know one way or the other with the gig that pays more.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Handsome Ralph posted:

Few days later, but I'm in a similar boat, or might be!

Currently in the final round of interviews for an IT gig and they do indeed drug test based on what I've been able to find out. In any case, I have a medical card in a medical legal, soon to be recreational legal state. I'm not going to say anything to them because it's none of their loving business, and I've just abstained from using for the last two weeks since I know a test might be in my future. I bought an OTC test pack, and have been borderline passing, so I think I'm good at this rate. My state (Maryland) doesn't offer any kind of employment protections for medical card holders unfortunately. Most places in my area from what I've heard through the grapevine, unless they are a federal contractor, do not give a poo poo or test. And if they do test, usually only test you prior to hiring you and then never again, and/or they outright ignore THC. Though I am not going to ask any potential employer if they care because it still has a stupid stigma attached to it unfortunately.

Anyways, If your friend isn't a heavy user other than the edibles over the past month, they might be fine. If not, :shrug:. Depending on the state, they might have legal protections unless it's a federal job or something that is DOT regulated. If I was your friend, I would delay taking the test for as long as possible, and absolutely not be upfront with the employer unless I take the test, piss hot, and then they mention it. At that point, you've got nothing to lose, but otherwise? So long as your friend isn't using while on the clock, it's none of their loving business, and it will likely not benefit them to tell HR before hand. Honestly, I can't wait till the feds finally stop giving a poo poo about it, that, or when I move to Canada where barely anyone gives a gently caress about it anymore.

So I highly doubt this is going to come to pass, because I don't think I am THAT lucky, but in any case. For the first time in my adult life, there is a possibility, however remote, I might receive two offers next week within a few days of each other. The first place I interviewed with last week said they would make a decision and let me know early next week after they interviewed all of their candidates. The place I'm having final interviews with this week, seems to be operating on a similar timeline. If I get an offer from one place, but haven't heard from the other and they might take another few days or another week to make a decision, what's the best way of handling that? I don't want to get greedy and try play one against the other, but it would be nice to have both offers in hand before making a decision one way or the other.

Honestly either job would be nice, but the one I'm doing final interviews for this week pays more (other place hasn't even mentioned salary yet, but based on glassdoor I think it's going to be less) and has a better WFH policy. I don't want to outright reject the first place before I know one way or the other with the gig that pays more.

Weirdly enough, a company I worked for 20 years ago in Maryland decided not to hire someone because they tested positive for steroids, which I wasn't even aware they would look for.

Me: Steroids? Is that a big problem?
Boss: Well, I mean, they are illegal, so
Me: /shrug

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Depends on the steroid, surely?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

Depends on the steroid, surely?

No idea.

If you're hiring guys for your warehouse, I'd think roids are a plus, but hey

Red
Apr 15, 2003

wrong thread

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Hey, everyone, me again. I am updating my resume because the new job isn't working out and I want to explore options. I intentionally overdid this resume so we can cut it back. Before we begin, I KNOW this resume would get thrown out. I just wanted to put everything I can think of in the draft so it can be cut down more easily.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

There are going to be people with better and more industry-specific insights, but the thing that strikes me right off the bat is that you quantified your contributions at your prior role - $X revenue, Y% increase - but not at your current one. If the information is not proprietary, they should both be presented the same, and I'd go with having hard figures for both.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Same things I always say when I post in this thread: I'm not a hiring manager or HR person. I'm a software dev who just helps friends and coworkers and goons write resumes some times. Listen to others before me. I have no expertise in accounting.

Your action verbs are pretty good, except your final one for the construction company starts with an adverb 'closely' instead of the verb 'analyzed.' Similar on the Big 4, where you have 'efficiently' leading a bullet point. Also, "suggested" is a verb so it's an "action word" in that sense, but it isn't an "action word" in the sense of Kabow, Bam, Boom! You might be able to re-write that or select a new word. Perhaps "devised" etc etc?

Also, if you have multiple action words, I feel it can soften their impact. "Prepared and negotiated" might read better as one or the other, depending on what you want to highlight.

Some of your bullet points are individually way too long. Remember that these are going to be read by very bored and often stupid people. Like, for my job at the dick sucking factory, my resume says: "Redesigned the gas station glory hole to increase throughput, increasing dicks sucked from a few dozen to over one hundred each day." I am not sure if you're supposed to use the digits (100) or words (one hundred) but I think that's dealer's choice.

The first bullet point for the Finance Company needs trimming. Obviously, a lot of the space is the industries you have experience with. I don't know if the specific industries you've worked with is a common practice for accounting resumes, but on the surface it seems like it might be better served in the Qualifications segment. In fact, that might be well served as a bulleted list, or even better, a brief sentence you change for each employer to include their industry. So, perhaps you submit a resume to a Chocolate Teapot Maker, you highlight your manufacturing experience. You submit a resume to a film studio, you highlight creative industries, etc. You can then puff up the sentence to make it impressive, like "Managed accounts for various industries, including <INDUSTRY OF OPENING>, <NEXT MOST RELATED FIELD>, <IMPRESSIVE SOUNDING poo poo>" and so on. Of course, this assumes you can be truthful and impressive. If you don't have the experience, just put whatever sounds coolest or closest or both.

The same could be said of the states you've worked with before. Maybe a bulleted list section, or a sentence. I don't know how much it will translate or requires certifications or anything.

Remember what the OP says: it's a record of your accomplishments, not a list of your duties. Though I think having a point or two that describes duties is fine as long as it provides color for the ways in which you kick rear end and are the best candidate. Do you have any particularly large or difficult bids that you helped win? The bottom "profit margin" sounds like something worth bragging about, though I don't know if accounting managers are typically considered "profit centers' in businesses.

For the construction company, the third point starting with "organized" is also quite long. You have two prepositional phrases using "which" so that sentence is just unwieldy. The structure should probably be something like Action word -> baseline description -> accomplishment / value add. "Organized annual audit of over one thousand paychecks across [X] employees and [accomplishment Y]" or something.

I don't like the phrase "over ten" for some reason. If it's less than 20, it probably suits you to be exact or say "around" instead of "over". It sounds like resume puff talk, which it is and so is everything else, but where you draw that line is a matter of personal taste.

When you say "All bills were paid on time, all bills were accurate" you really should just say "All bills were paid on time and accurately" or something. People are going to read this very quickly, so it's important to not repeat yourself.

I don't like using the word "litany" because it is commonly (though not necessarily) negative. Focus on your ability to comprehend many complex rules but don't make it sound like it's an annoyance. I can't think of a better word, but maybe there is an industry term for "a pile of rules." In software, we call them "requirements."

Instead of "massive issue" maybe say "critical issue"? Similar to the above part: this is nitpicky, but the complication isn't what an exec cares about. They care about the effect it has, and I think the criticality implies that better. Again, this is a personal word choice and others in the thread or those that receive this may feel differently.

I don't think you need a comma between multiple and interrelated? It's only two adverbs so I think it's fine to leave them without. (I just know grammar just by use, I don't know the rules by heart so someone who knows MLA etc can correct me.)

Will people who read this know what GAAP and IFRS are? I assume so, but it's important to consider.

You say Education and Awards, but only have education. Did you remove some award? What about certifications? It says you're CPA eligible, but do you have any industry certs? If it's just college, then maybe it should just say Education.

Also, this isn't on the resume, but be ready to explain why you're looking for work less than a year in. I know that from personal experience.

That's what I got so far.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I got an offer from the place I interviewed with last week :woop:

Though I had a really awesome panel interview yesterday with another place that has a more solid WFH policy (after my initial break in period) that also pays more, also the on-call schedule is a lot more flexible (every six weeks for a week vs. every 12 days for four days). Two seperate interviewers I met with during the gauntlet of interviews mentioned that they thought I was perfect for the role, and matched the sweet spot they were looking for. Bonus was all of the interviews that I had with that panel I seemed to hit it off with each of the interviewers. The hiring manager is on vacation this week but they said they were going to meet at some point next week to make a decision. I told the place that just made me an offer that I would need to wait for the other place to make a decision before accepting and they were fine with it. Though as soon as I said this, they mentioned they were flexible on the salary they had offered.

I guess my question to the thread is, is there a way to gently prod the other place (or at least the HR contact) to let them know I have an offer in hand, but I really liked meeting with them but I'd need to hear something sooner than later?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yes you say “really liked your team and am enthusiastic about the opportunity. I have an attractive offer for another role with a deadline of DAY X so if you are interested in moving forward with me as a candidate can you accommodate that timeline?”

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Though as soon as I said this, they mentioned they were flexible on the salary they had offered.

This is a good spot to be in- you basically have a worry-free pass to negotiate your salary up a bit even if the competing offer ends up being lower (unless they demand to see what the offer was). They just showed their hand and it says "we can go up on that".

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yes you say “really liked your team and am enthusiastic about the opportunity. I have an attractive offer for another role with a deadline of DAY X so if you are interested in moving forward with me as a candidate can you accommodate that timeline?”

Sent the HR contact an e-mail saying this, but they're out of office until Monday :v:

Hopefully it lights a fire and they are able to move on it, if not, I still have the other offer in hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Look at this excellent wording and great suggestion, A+

Professional correspondence is a valuable skill.