Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I feel like it should be noted Claire was 25 for her first appearance and Ada was 24

Capcom had two choices, either magically disappear just the women for sequels or have them never age; or, third option, stick to remakes and prequels so no one ages

this worked out funny for, say, RE:0, wherein Rebecca's run as a protagonist initially puts her at least a few hours younger than her original appearance in Resident Evil (18, if you're curious)

I'm not agreeing that this is or is not a bad habit of Capcom's rather than incidental, but the context is funny to me

edit: 3 barely aged Jill, 4 had Ashley and 5 had 23-year-old Sheva; again, not saying I totally agree, but I can see why someone feels that way

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I don't think Capcom made deliberate choices about characters never aging or no christmas cakes, it's just coincidence. :shobon: They revitalized the brand after 6 showed things getting stale, RE7 was good which led to RE8, at the same time they tried a remake of RE2 and it was a smash hit so they've kept going on a parallel track. RE8 and RE9 will inevitably follow and they just do whatever comes to them.

Also looking at Street Fighter, Dead Rising, Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter, etc... I don't think a single employee at Capcom has ever said "What if these women are too old?" It's more like "What if women?" and all the artists and writers grin and start nodding and brainstorming.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

if i look even half as good at 40 as SF6 cammy does, i'll be over the loving moon

kinda funny that DSR seems to be one of the few modern titles out there unafraid to give a woman a couple age-appropriate wrinkles

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Hel posted:

Yes, RE is one of the few series that actually did have women over 30 as playable characters but the last couple of games have either been remakes set when they where younger or just the ones with Ethan as the PC. So people praising them for finally having an older woman as a villain after they took a break from doing "older" women as primary playable characters is odd.

Well yes. There's been two new Resident Evil games after Revelations 2 and there's been three remakes. They aren't going to age up the characters for the remakes when that wouldn't make sense, meanwhile the main protagonist of RE7 and 8 is Ethan is in his 30s, with a brief playable stint of Mia also in her 30s, while Chris is pushing 50 in the DLC of 7 and his playable segment of 8, Joe Baker is in his 50s in the End of Zoe DLC which just leaves Rose as the outlier being 16 years old in her DLC for RE8. It's really just two brand new games which don't have older women protagonists and even that's only partially true in 7's case because Mia is briefly playable.

But I agree people praising Dimitrirescu for being an older villain is weird though. One of the two main villains of Resident Evil 6 is literally a clone of Ada, while the main villain of Revelations 2 is an older woman also. I guess people just really liked 9 foot tall vampire women that stalk you?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vermain posted:

if i look even half as good at 40 as SF6 cammy does, i'll be over the loving moon

kinda funny that DSR seems to be one of the few modern titles out there unafraid to give a woman a couple age-appropriate wrinkles

And of course gamers hated it lol

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
evergreen

https://twitter.com/VoicesByZane/status/1392902460952305668

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I feel like it should be noted Claire was 25 for her first appearance and Ada was 24

Claire was 19 tho?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lady Dimitrescu is one of my favorite villains in the series, but more because the idea that she has to deal with her house being filled with tiny regular-human-sized doors strikes me as very funny every time I play it. It's like me having to duck through 3 ft tall playhouse doors every time I'm walking around through my place, it's so dumb and I love it.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

lmao

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lady Dimitrescu is one of my favorite villains in the series, but more because the idea that she has to deal with her house being filled with tiny regular-human-sized doors strikes me as very funny every time I play it. It's like me having to duck through 3 ft tall playhouse doors every time I'm walking around through my place, it's so dumb and I love it.

She'd have to remodel and the local historical society is kicking up a fuss.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Meowywitch posted:

Claire was 19 tho?

where the gently caress did I get 25, that's even worse or equally coincidental depending on one's perspective

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
also yeah the appeal of big spooky mommy was far more than her age, it was being a big spooky mommy

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Bout to fire up NightCry.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
uh did we know frictional was putting out a new amnesia game in like a month

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1944430/Amnesia_The_Bunker/

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

i remember discussing it briefly when they teased the trailer at the game awards, although i believe it got delayed after that point and faded into the shadows for a while

i'm maybe a little suspicious given that amnesia's whole thing that's separated it from mainstream horror titles is its strict adherence to total disempowerment, so giving you guns and still calling it amnesia feels like an odd fit. guess we'll see how they finesse it, though, since i'm a sucker for "trapped underground in nightmare labyrinth" horror

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Vermain posted:

i'm maybe a little suspicious given that amnesia's whole thing that's separated it from mainstream horror titles is its strict adherence to total disempowerment, so giving you guns and still calling it amnesia feels like an odd fit. guess we'll see how they finesse it, though, since i'm a sucker for "trapped underground in nightmare labyrinth" horror

Since the first Amnesia, there have been tins of copycats, so not having combat doesn't stick out anymore. Also, they learned from Soma that removing monsters us better if you have no way to deal with them. Personally, I like them bringing back the combat because I find being weak scarier than being helpless.

Doomykins posted:

I don't think Capcom made deliberate choices about characters never aging or no christmas cakes, it's just coincidence. :shobon: They revitalized the brand after 6 showed things getting stale, RE7 was good which led to RE8, at the same time they tried a remake of RE2 and it was a smash hit so they've kept going on a parallel track. RE8 and RE9 will inevitably follow and they just do whatever comes to them.

Also looking at Street Fighter, Dead Rising, Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter, etc... I don't think a single employee at Capcom has ever said "What if these women are too old?" It's more like "What if women?" and all the artists and writers grin and start nodding and brainstorming.

I'm not saying that someone at capcom is maliciously scheming to remove older women, it's just the standard, "these generic white guys are more interesting, so let's just tell that story." It's just very visible with RE because they changed the main character with every numbered game, but now the guy so generic he's literally faceless gets two in a row and the only old returning character is Chris. Also, they have replaced their side games with remakes and lovely multiplayer, so it's even more of a thing.

Also, on that list, AFAIK only Street Fighter has a playable pre defined older woman as a PC with a story, so I don't know why DMC , Monster Hunter, and Dead Rising is there.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Vermain posted:

i remember discussing it briefly when they teased the trailer at the game awards, although i believe it got delayed after that point and faded into the shadows for a while

There was a PC Gamer preview that mentioned the gun will give you breathing room, but it'll be really pissed off next time it sees you.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Hel posted:

I'm not saying that someone at capcom is maliciously scheming to remove older women, it's just the standard, "these generic white guys are more interesting, so let's just tell that story." It's just very visible with RE because they changed the main character with every numbered game, but now the guy so generic he's literally faceless gets two in a row and the only old returning character is Chris. Also, they have replaced their side games with remakes and lovely multiplayer, so it's even more of a thing.

Also, on that list, AFAIK only Street Fighter has a playable pre defined older woman as a PC with a story, so I don't know why DMC , Monster Hunter, and Dead Rising is there.

They've all got prominent older women as part of character design and feature consistent character aging. If we go by strictly protags they don't matter as much, though Street Fighter has Chun LI and Cammy as well as C Viper and Rose. Probably others too.

Just throwing them out as examples that Capcom likely doesn't worry about character age in things.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

No and it looks great. It looks like the engine (or maybe more accurately the art direction) has regressed in a good way because Rebirth was nice and shiny but holy hell is that game TOO dark even for a series all about avoiding the darkness and it's so intricately detailed that items will just blend into the background. The gun mechanics look nerve wracking especially if I'm going to have to count spent rounds in a revolver and probably even pick up unspent ones as I hurriedly reload and drop everything on the floor.

+1 for having a rechargeable flashlight. The lantern in Rebirth burned through oil so quickly and the matches went out when you run it basically defeated the entire purpose of resource management since you're forced to spend so much time in the dark. I didn't hate Rebirth as much as the general opinion but what a huge step down for their catalog, I would rather play Pigs again.

A missed opportunity not to feature the Nagant 1895, a revolver where you have to use a ramrod to individually knock out the rounds from the cylinder.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

catlord posted:

There was a PC Gamer preview that mentioned the gun will give you breathing room, but it'll be really pissed off next time it sees you.

So kind of like Alien Isolation's flamethrower, I can vibe with that. I also like the idea of WWI trench horror, there's been a few games on the horizon exploring that. Actually a lot of WWI stuff overall, I think we are finally getting over WWII to some extent. Maybe it's exploring the horror of the war, maybe it's because there's enough neo nazis now that it's weird to make games featuring them, even as antagonists.

Counterintuitively having a very limited way to stave off the enemy makes the game a lot harder since only being able to sneak around enemies makes it clear in every encounter what you are supposed to be doing. If it gets more muddled it can be tricky. It'll depend a lot on the implementation.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

CuddleCryptid posted:

So kind of like Alien Isolation's flamethrower, I can vibe with that. I also like the idea of WWI trench horror, there's been a few games on the horizon exploring that. Actually a lot of WWI stuff overall, I think we are finally getting over WWII to some extent. Maybe it's exploring the horror of the war, maybe it's because there's enough neo nazis now that it's weird to make games featuring them, even as antagonists.

Counterintuitively having a very limited way to stave off the enemy makes the game a lot harder since only being able to sneak around enemies makes it clear in every encounter what you are supposed to be doing. If it gets more muddled it can be tricky. It'll depend a lot on the implementation.

I wonder if Alien Isolation will ever get a sequel, in these halcyon days of resurrecting older stuff.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Doomykins posted:

They've all got prominent older women as part of character design and feature consistent character aging. If we go by strictly protags they don't matter as much, though Street Fighter has Chun LI and Cammy as well as C Viper and Rose. Probably others too.

Just throwing them out as examples that Capcom likely doesn't worry about character age in things.

Street Fighter dropped canonical ages around IV, leaving only months and days for birthdates; Chun-li definitely does not look anywhere near what would otherwise be 55 in SFVI

Cammy has drat near aged backward

SF20: The Art of Street Fighter actually specifies that C. Viper was designed as a 20-year-old single mother, though

Rose was based on a Jojo's character that used magic to look like she was in her 20s; I don't think she's ever changed appearances between games

again I don't think Capcom's really doing this on purpose but drat lol maybe don't

edit: if you subscribe to the 3rd Strike timeline theory Chun-li might only be in her late 30s / early 40s as of SF6, again nobody knows because SF stopped canonically counting years

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 3, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I wonder if Alien Isolation will ever get a sequel, in these halcyon days of resurrecting older stuff.

I think there is something to be said for being afraid of a game whose popularity outstripped expectations. It wouldn't surprise me if the devs just went "I don't know how we would make a sequel to it that isn't just a copy of the first so we just won't, because expectations would be astronomically high". And that's a good attitude to have, imo.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
it wouldn't be very isolated if there were two of them, ergo

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There's always ROUTINE when it comes out in 2123

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

al-azad posted:

There's always ROUTINE when it comes out in 2123

I still can't believe Routine was one of the first Steam Greenlight games announced, and it has yet to come out.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

We're closing in on the 1 year anniversary of its re-announcement trailer from summer game fest last year.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Never forget that "game" that tricked people into thinking it was a Kojima game, Abandoned. That's gonna be the new Routine.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hector Delgado posted:

Never forget that "game" that tricked people into thinking it was a Kojima game, Abandoned. That's gonna be the new Routine.

didn't they come out a few times and say "no this absolutely isn't a kojima game"?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just what Kojima would say.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Remember Sadness?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Len posted:

didn't they come out a few times and say "no this absolutely isn't a kojima game"?

No they largely lead it on or remained silent (there was a half-hearted attempt at saying it was not related but in a way that made it clear they were leaving it open for people to still think that) because the whole thing was a grit by a studio that doesn't actually exist, not in the Kojima way of "is a smokescreen for another team" but in the way of "it's the CEO and no one else and he was just taking the money and running"

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The Day Before is some brazen poo poo.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Disposable Scud posted:

The Day Before is some brazen poo poo.

it's one of the most maddeningly strange smoke-and-mirrors scams i think i've ever seen, especially since it appears to have been solely created as a marketing gimmick for the developers' other titles like propnight

what's especially puzzling about it is that they could, legitimately, just make the game in a year with some thrown-together assets and whatever extra contract work they needed, ensure it's good enough to pass playable muster for 3 hours, and then cash in off the fact that it's the most wishlisted game on steam. you wouldn't even have to maintain support for the game or anything, and while consumers would be wary of ever trusting you directly, you could probably hide behind a shell company and publish whatever you wanted after that point

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Captain Hygiene posted:

The funniest thing about Lady Dimitrescu to me is that when you play the game and even look at the early promotional material it's pretty clear that Heisenberg was the villain Capcom was expecting would be the most popular. And Heisenberg is great, don't get me wrong, but the big lady definitely stole a lot of his spotlight and that makes the fact that Heisenberg and Lady Dimitrescu hate each other in game extra hilarious to me. There's a whole unintended meta layer to their rivalry!

The bosses in Resident Evil 8 were such great characters and had such a fun dynamic that we barely get to see, would love a spin off game where they're brought back to life for whatever reason and we just get to enjoy more scenes of them being a highly dysfunctional family.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Blockhouse posted:

No they largely lead it on or remained silent (there was a half-hearted attempt at saying it was not related but in a way that made it clear they were leaving it open for people to still think that) because the whole thing was a grit by a studio that doesn't actually exist, not in the Kojima way of "is a smokescreen for another team" but in the way of "it's the CEO and no one else and he was just taking the money and running"

Reveal was April 2021 and the interview where they said no it's not Silent Hill or Kojima was August. I didn't realize that was two years ago now god drat

https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/abandoned-is-definitely-not-a-hideo-kojima-game-even-with-that-eyepatch-3020344

Edit: June 2021

https://twitter.com/BBGameStudios/status/1404924897340674049?t=2x0JVfjcyzETNrvReNBFZQ&s=19

So they let it go for two months before saying flat out this wasn't Kojima or Silent Hill and anything after that was wishful thinking

Len fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 4, 2023

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I remember being excited for that PT-like game, Alison Road? If I remember right, the game was supposed to start in the house, like PT. The devs had a quote like "You're going to spend a lot of time in this house, desperate to get out...until the next area, which is the area around the house, and then you'll be begging to go back inside".

Kind of dumb to reveal you'd eventually escape, but I did think it was cool that they were acknowledging the different fears that can come from indoor vs outdoor settings. :kiddo: Fatal Frame series is/was good for this as well.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

also yeah the appeal of big spooky mommy was far more than her age, it was being a big spooky mommy

I never even realized she was supposed to be "older". :psyduck:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The funniest thing about Lady Dimitrescu to me is that when you play the game and even look at the early promotional material it's pretty clear that Heisenberg was the villain Capcom was expecting would be the most popular. And Heisenberg is great, don't get me wrong, but the big lady definitely stole a lot of his spotlight and that makes the fact that Heisenberg and Lady Dimitrescu hate each other in game extra hilarious to me. There's a whole unintended meta layer to their rivalry!

The bosses in Resident Evil 8 were such great characters and had such a fun dynamic that we barely get to see, would love a spin off game where they're brought back to life for whatever reason and we just get to enjoy more scenes of them being a highly dysfunctional family.

They're all great, but I can see where they were coming from as a Heisenbro myself

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Mirander

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Has anyone heard of Kingdom of Night? I feel like it got announced before Bloodstained and it still isn't even out. Last update I saw was spell icons.