Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

NeatHeteroDude posted:

yeah it's such a massive public health boon to give people a place where they have alcohol swabs and unused syringes

"Safe injection sites? Near MY downtown condo development???"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
As if that's gonna stop them from shooting up.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

NeatHeteroDude posted:

yeah it's such a massive public health boon to give people a place where they have alcohol swabs and unused syringes

why do you want to encourage people to become heroin users and addicts?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

How many times have I thought about becoming addicted to heroin, but stopped because there was no clean syringe?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

this is from "A Soldier Of The Great War" by Mark Helprin, not sure why op left that out.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

:smith:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm not sure I'd agree that everybody's loving all the time, although perhaps he meant the cars in his closet and kitchen because that would explain their prevalence.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Any time I meet someone who's against safe injection sites, I ask them if they've ever ordered and enjoyed a drink in a bar. Usually I have to explain it to them, because the type of person to be against safe injection sites isn't usually very bright.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Mister Speaker posted:

Any time I meet someone who's against safe injection sites, I ask them if they've ever ordered and enjoyed a drink in a bar. Usually I have to explain it to them, because the type of person to be against safe injection sites isn't usually very bright.

People get extremely angry if you equate drinking to any other drugs.

My dad, an alcoholic, literally thought smoking was worse lmao.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Mister Speaker posted:

Bars are social environments and I say this as a person who absolutely supports safe injection sites but you're a loving moron.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://twitter.com/cooperlund/status/1642868234910154754?s=20

Lawless rear end car owners.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

lmao even an Italian's gonna blame the Milanese for being too car brained

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Terminal autist posted:

Bars are social environments and I say this as a person who absolutely supports safe injection sites but you're a loving moron.
Are you trying to argue that you don't think pubs are harm reduction?

Uhh I guess I should specify pubs that are within a 15 minute walk.

CopperHound has issued a correction as of 22:26 on Apr 3, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

CopperHound posted:

I guess I didn't know what to expect from the same doofus who pops ITT occasionally and thinks 'gonna buy a charger' is a good attempt at trolling.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Groda posted:

lmao even an Italian's gonna blame the Milanese for being too car brained

It's written by an American though so it's probably meant to make the guy look stupid

quote:

Mark Helprin (born June 28, 1947) is an American novelist, journalist, conservative commentator, Senior Fellow of the Claremont Institute for the Study of Statesmanship and Political Philosophy, Fellow of the American Academy in Rome, and Member of the Council on Foreign Relations. While Helprin's fictional works straddle a number of disparate genres and styles, he has stated that he "belongs to no literary school, movement, tendency, or trend".[

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

CopperHound posted:

Uhh I guess I should specify pubs that are within a 15 minute walk.

Idk what current progressive thoughts are on safe injection sites but I don't think they should be a social business that is generating money. They should be non profits or ideally government ran with medical professionals on site to offer counseling and help for addicts, not some dude selling fent that will let you shoot up in his house.

Mister Speaker posted:

I guess I didn't know what to expect from the same doofus who pops ITT occasionally and thinks 'gonna buy a charger' is a good attempt at trolling.

Update on the charger, gonna hold off til my current car is paid off and I'm selling my house. Gonna try to finance a new M5

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Terminal autist posted:

What if you put pool tables and dart boards in the safe injection site

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What if you put pool tables and dart boards in the safe injection site

Thats just the cool plugs traphouse, its not an ideal situation imo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the % of people in a bar with somewhere else to go or something else to do if they needed to with low chance of contracting a blood born infection or suddenly not breathing is quite a bit higher than the % of people in a safe injection site that cant say the same if the site was closed

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

silicone thrills posted:

People get extremely angry if you equate drinking to any other drugs.

My dad, an alcoholic, literally thought smoking was worse lmao.

Smoking what, tobacco? Because it probably is. A lot less anti-social behavior but a lot more death overall. It's a toughy. If it's weed then he's just a dumbass

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Milo and POTUS posted:

Smoking what, tobacco? Because it probably is. A lot less anti-social behavior but a lot more death overall. It's a toughy. If it's weed then he's just a dumbass

He's dead, partially from the alcoholism. So I cant ask to clarify.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

silicone thrills posted:

He's dead, partially from the alcoholism. So I cant ask to clarify.

Did the safe imbibing site help?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Did the safe imbibing site help?

He did all his safely imbibing at home with his buddies! too poor to drink at a bar you see

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

:nms: :nws: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fs03yX2WIAAy52g.jpg

mystes
May 31, 2006

that's what why you need to get your car neutered

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

let_them_fight.jpg

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

So that's where cars come from. I knew all that stuff about "the factory" was bullshit

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

should have had a front camera.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

:blush: :sweatdrop:

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

I think place with folks iving meth or heroin is a different situation that requires a radically different setting for safety and security. Like alcohol swabs, bacteriostatic water, insulin syringes, and little cups to dissolve the drugs would all be insanely cheap to provide, but a bigger concern might be concentrating too many people injecting in the same area at the same time. Someone might pass out but someone who hasn't slept in 3 days and is seeing shadow people might also inject a gran of methamphetamine by accident (or on purpose!) and totally lose their poo poo.

Naloxone is a somewhat effective intervention for heroin overdose but no one there is going to be safe or able to give someone a shot of antipsychotics to make them sleep for the first time in 3 days and multiple redoses of meth

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I hate f*cking cars!!!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Do not hate gently caress cars.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
https://twitter.com/ATLUncensored/status/1643041897978507266

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I think place with folks iving meth or heroin is a different situation that requires a radically different setting for safety and security. Like alcohol swabs, bacteriostatic water, insulin syringes, and little cups to dissolve the drugs would all be insanely cheap to provide, but a bigger concern might be concentrating too many people injecting in the same area at the same time. Someone might pass out but someone who hasn't slept in 3 days and is seeing shadow people might also inject a gran of methamphetamine by accident (or on purpose!) and totally lose their poo poo.

Naloxone is a somewhat effective intervention for heroin overdose but no one there is going to be safe or able to give someone a shot of antipsychotics to make them sleep for the first time in 3 days and multiple redoses of meth

In the ideal world these would be medical sites but in reality if they exist they're probably underfunded and dangerous places. The thought hadn't even crossed my mind you might have meth users mixing with the opioid users. Really hosed vibes

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

thank you ♥

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Terminal autist posted:

In the ideal world these would be medical sites but in reality if they exist they're probably underfunded and dangerous places. The thought hadn't even crossed my mind you might have meth users mixing with the opioid users. Really hosed vibes

Yeah. meth is one of those drugs that you really genuinely can't take safely, especially if you've got people injecting it. the lack of sleep, possible hyperthermia, etc., all contribute to a population that may be abnormally dangerous while getting high in comparison to users of different substances. you're probably torn between increasing the restrictive nature of the environment (more monitoring, technicians certified in restraint/injection training, lots of building security measures, etc.) and putting staff and other users in dangerous or unacceptable situations

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
people can take meth safely. it's occasionally prescribed by doctors

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cuttlefush posted:

people can take meth safely. it's occasionally prescribed by doctors

you know who else was prescribed meth? that's right

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

gradenko_2000 posted:

you know who else was prescribed meth? that's right

the wu tang clan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

If c-spam was the sort of forum where people had earnest discussions I'd suggest a thread discussing drug criminalization.