Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Finally found a copy of the Loveless remaster in the wild. Now I just need the EP collection to be repressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Got the remastered deluxe edition of Wilco's 2nd album Being There which is a double album to begin with so I've got 4 lps to look forward to

I am a sucker for a box set

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I attended the Big Ears Festival in Knoxville this weekend; while I saw some incredible sets (Sun Ra Arkestra, Sam Gendel, Oneohtrix Point Never, Bill Orcutt), the Meridian Brothers were my favorite. Really fun psychedelic salsa grooves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5GF-q5qRb4

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Every chance to see the Arkestra should be taken. Marshall Allen is 99 dang years old and still absolutely wrecking it.

Crawling out of an overworked depression funk (those 16 hour days, babyyyyyyyyyyy) to report I got my Pwn mix! :neckbeard:
Gotta dig my old boombox out to listen to it. This is the first CD I've gotten since David Byrne sent out copies of American Utopia to ticket buyers.

Also: ahhaha you can see how short I am by exactly how high I can get posters up on the wall.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Hooray the rest of the albums I ordered from Vinyl Pursuit arrived!

Don't worry the sticker is just there to rep the good folks who included a full package of disc sleeves and I think album covers with this order.

Giorgio :allears:

And finally, not from Canada but the fine folks at Revolver who keep roping me into spending large sums of money for Type O Negative records. $42 impulse buy :homebrew:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Only took over a year since ordering but Mizmor and Thou's excellent collab finally got delivered

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
One more post and I'll shut up about this

petit choux posted:

Hear, hear, I got one too, and I put it on while I was doing handicrafts late last night and really enjoyed myself. Here is a pic of the playlist:

You have really impressed me with the scope of your music tastes, though I shouldn't be at all surprised.

I should put one together for you all too, I've just been a little busy with making musical instruments and learning to play them. I feel like I'm very slowly getting near where I can record a performance and call it an "album" I suppose.

Please do, your videos are fascinating and you should post them here. You could sprinkle little jams in to bridge other songs?

CPL593H posted:

I also got a pwn CD. Pwn pwns.

:pwn:

caligulamprey posted:

Crawling out of an overworked depression funk (those 16 hour days, babyyyyyyyyyyy) to report I got my Pwn mix! :neckbeard:
Gotta dig my old boombox out to listen to it. This is the first CD I've gotten since David Byrne sent out copies of American Utopia to ticket buyers.

Also: ahhaha you can see how short I am by exactly how high I can get posters up on the wall.

I have an old Discman someone had tossed out, it's missing the battery cover but otherwise works fine. As I don't need it for walking that isn't a dealbreaker. I finally got an AC adapter for it this week, since my main CD player is on the fritz and I'd rather not have to use my Blu-ray player (by the way you should just do that, if your boombox is out of reaches). I remember a friend about ten years ago who had a Discman hooked up to his speakers as his main CD player, and I can't lie, it's pretty janky. But it works. And I'm glad you're feeling better pal.

I wanted to put the mix on Mixcloud to share with the wider thread audience, but that was a naive endeavor as doing so is considerably more complicated than I gave it credit for. Which is partly why I took so long to reply to y'all.

So if anyone wants to listen to it, go here. Sides A and B as single tracks, all vinyl rips. It can be streamed and dled. If you want more (C-sides, FLAC/wav files, etc) feel free to message me. Suggested listening conditions are snowy, as it was made during winter walks, and seeing as it's loving spring now, maybe I should be more prompt with poo poo. Alas. Thanks again for the inspiration, sporklift :tipshat:

Oh yeah. Easter egg: Everybody's personalized mix ended with the same Garth song.

Everyone gets Garth :clint:

pwn
May 27, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

At least you try

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2OkkLf03RY

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

That Chocolate and Cheese show was so good even the cops on the sidelines were taking photos and ran up to us shouting WHO ARE THESE GUYS?! afterward.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

I wanted to put the mix on Mixcloud to share with the wider thread audience, but that was a naive endeavor as doing so is considerably more complicated than I gave it credit for. Which is partly why I took so long to reply to y'all.

So if anyone wants to listen to it, go here. Sides A and B as single tracks, all vinyl rips. It can be streamed and dled. If you want more (C-sides, FLAC/wav files, etc) feel free to message me. Suggested listening conditions are snowy, as it was made during winter walks, and seeing as it's loving spring now, maybe I should be more prompt with poo poo. Alas. Thanks again for the inspiration, sporklift :tipshat:

Oh yeah. Easter egg: Everybody's personalized mix ended with the same Garth song.

Everyone gets Garth :clint:

Awesome. Can't wait to go listen to your mix. Just curious what was difficult about uploading to mixcloud? I know the track listing thing is kinda janky.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Mainly that it costs money because of course, there are ascap fees and whatnot. Like, I felt pretty stupid to, I guess, assume that this site was operating extralegally of music rights? It is legit and that's cool, but it's not something I can afford.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

Mainly that it costs money because of course, there are ascap fees and whatnot. Like, I felt pretty stupid to, I guess, assume that this site was operating extralegally of music rights? It is legit and that's cool, but it's not something I can afford.

Mixcloud is free. They changed a bit so you can only have ten shows at a time unless you pay but other than that it should be totally free if you have an account.

Edit: It is a totally legit site. They pay all the licensing fees (ascap, bmi). There are certain rules in place from copyright holders (can't have more than 3 songs from one artist per mix) but I have never run into problems.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 5, 2023

pwn
May 27, 2004

Hey uh, Sacred Bones, you okay...?

pwn
May 27, 2004

sporklift posted:

Mixcloud is free. They changed a bit so you can only have ten shows at a time unless you pay but other than that it should be totally free if you have an account.

Edit: It is a totally legit site. They pay all the licensing fees (ascap, bmi). There are certain rules in place from copyright holders (can't have more than 3 songs from one artist per mix) but I have never run into problems.

Yeah... and two from the same album. I get why, but it is presenting problems. Suppose I'll need to get creative about getting around it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

pwn posted:

Nothing says enjoying plants and the earth like branded ephemera from the alibaba recycle bin.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I imagine the logo on the real grinder is just as off-center as it is in the promo image.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

pwn posted:

oh great another Dopesmoker reissue

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

bundling a record with a grinder and lighter and papers would be a pretty pro move

Heck, throw in a dimebag, why not. Just tape it to the download card.

e: grinder that goes on the spindle and serves as a record weight and you just hold the lid in place

pwn
May 27, 2004

sporklift posted:

Well, i went and did a thing. It's on MixCloud, for now, hopefully it doesn't get removed

Winter Grooveski

And I will do a tracklist! Amazing.

code:
Rail Yard Ghosts - SKIT: IGRR Q908 (TRANScention)/Call of the Void (edit)
Belle and Sebastian - Fickle Season
Shana Cleveland - Invisible When the Sun Leaves
Isobel Campbell - Poor Butterfly
Cat Power - The Moon
Mirah and Ginger Brooks Takahashi - Acoustic Groove/While We Have the Sun/Horny Groove 

This is the Kit - This is What You Did
Big Thief - Spud Infinity
Brigitte Fontaine - Blanche Neige
SNL Band - 'Way 'Cross Georgia
Whyte Horses - Seabird
Golden BooTs - Bear Trap
I have no idea how they will track down and pay whoever for that Way Cross Georgia track, best of luck to them. Thanks for the encouragement, sporklift :)

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

Well, i went and did a thing. It's on MixCloud, for now, hopefully it doesn't get removed

Winter Grooveski

And I will do a tracklist! Amazing.

code:
Rail Yard Ghosts - SKIT: IGRR Q908 (TRANScention)/Call of the Void (edit)
Belle and Sebastian - Fickle Season
Shana Cleveland - Invisible When the Sun Leaves
Isobel Campbell - Poor Butterfly
Cat Power - The Moon
Mirah and Ginger Brooks Takahashi - Acoustic Groove/While We Have the Sun/Horny Groove 

This is the Kit - This is What You Did
Big Thief - Spud Infinity
Brigitte Fontaine - Blanche Neige
SNL Band - 'Way 'Cross Georgia
Whyte Horses - Seabird
Golden BooTs - Bear Trap
I have no idea how they will track down and pay whoever for that Way Cross Georgia track, best of luck to them. Thanks for the encouragement, sporklift :)

Cool. Now I can listen at work and I have the download for when I'm outta cell range. I think they have a broad agreement with the major players. The auto fill track listing usually works for about a quarter of the things I play. As for the rest? I suppose they have a system to pay out if someone comes knocking? (pennies?) I dunno how it really works.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

pwn posted:

I'm always down for novelty rolling papers.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

My Lovely Horse posted:

bundling a record with a grinder and lighter and papers would be a pretty pro move

Heck, throw in a dimebag, why not. Just tape it to the download card.

e: grinder that goes on the spindle and serves as a record weight and you just hold the lid in place

caligulamprey posted:

I'm always down for novelty rolling papers.

I was gonna say the Reptaliens had a Bandcamp-only bundle of their latest that was the vinyl and branded rolling papers. Looks like it's becoming a thing now.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I've got a Khruangbin branded king size papers around here somewhere...

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Who has the original Cheech and Chong Big Bambu rolling paper?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gonna wait for the Nevermind branded lighter and spoon

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I made a mix of mostly new records I've bought in the last few months. Here's a link and track list.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zu4ItNMVUofAazN-dBLBlMbCYMru1Ngc/view?usp=sharing

Eli Winter - For A Chaos Bluebonnet
Stella Kola - November
Freddie Hubbard - Red Clay
Kruder & Dorfmeister - King Size
Meridian Brothers & El grupo renacimiento- Bomba atomica
BEAK> - Yatton
Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet - Honey, You're Wasting Your Ammo
Cul de Sac - The Moon Scolds the Morning Star
Futoshi Moriyama 森山ふとし - ゆうたいりだつ (Yūtai-ridatsu)
Ryuichi Sakamoto - Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence

pwn
May 27, 2004

CaptainBeefart posted:

I made a mix of mostly new records I've bought in the last few months. Here's a link and track list.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zu4ItNMVUofAazN-dBLBlMbCYMru1Ngc/view?usp=sharing

Eli Winter - For A Chaos Bluebonnet
Stella Kola - November
Freddie Hubbard - Red Clay
Kruder & Dorfmeister - King Size
Meridian Brothers & El grupo renacimiento- Bomba atomica
BEAK> - Yatton
Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet - Honey, You're Wasting Your Ammo
Cul de Sac - The Moon Scolds the Morning Star
Futoshi Moriyama 森山ふとし - ゆうたいりだつ (Yūtai-ridatsu)
Ryuichi Sakamoto - Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence

Mostly instrumental funky mellojams? I can gently caress with that. Made for an awful nice walk tonight. That penultimate tune was especially chill :cool:

Fake edit, just noticed the KitH theme guys are here!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I'm suprised but not with the Plantasia merch as the album music itself has apparently been licensed to hell and back; I've heard it in two ads so far this year. I wonder if his daughter changed her mind about "not wanting to profit from her dad's work" or is cut out from these deals because of that attitude?

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

pwn posted:

Mostly instrumental funky mellojams? I can gently caress with that. Made for an awful nice walk tonight. That penultimate tune was especially chill :cool:

Fake edit, just noticed the KitH theme guys are here!

Glad you dig it!

Shadowy Men are a blast. The only box sets I have are theirs and Garth. :)

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Turbinosamente posted:

I'm suprised but not with the Plantasia merch as the album music itself has apparently been licensed to hell and back; I've heard it in two ads so far this year. I wonder if his daughter changed her mind about "not wanting to profit from her dad's work" or is cut out from these deals because of that attitude?

probably a little from column A and a little from column B

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.

Enjoy!

pwn
May 27, 2004

Thank you! :cool:

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Went to my favorite local (we have 4 now!!) record shop Skeleton Dust Records to get a few records cleaned.

Found a handful of records while browsing; I'm always happy when I leave spending less than $30.

The Original Onions record is/was a surf rock band from Columbus, never heard of them before but it has some decent covers on it.

CaptainBeefart fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 8, 2023

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So for the last couple of years I've been using an Audio-Technica AT85EP cartridge. I bought it as a replacement to the 20-year-old cartridge in my dad's turntable when I inherited it. I'm limited to P-mounts with this turntable.

I've noticed crackling on brand-new records and figured it's probably time to replace the cartridge/stylus, so I ordered a Grado Black. People throw a lot of names out there like Shure and Ortofone, but I'm on a budget.

Does anybody have any experience with Grado? How does it compare? The specs seem way better than the one I have right now (especially on the high-end... 20,000 hz vs 55,000 hz is something that should be noticeable I would think...)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CornHolio posted:

So for the last couple of years I've been using an Audio-Technica AT85EP cartridge. I bought it as a replacement to the 20-year-old cartridge in my dad's turntable when I inherited it. I'm limited to P-mounts with this turntable.

I've noticed crackling on brand-new records and figured it's probably time to replace the cartridge/stylus, so I ordered a Grado Black. People throw a lot of names out there like Shure and Ortofone, but I'm on a budget.

Does anybody have any experience with Grado? How does it compare? The specs seem way better than the one I have right now (especially on the high-end... 20,000 hz vs 55,000 hz is something that should be noticeable I would think...)

That grado black you linked to isn’t P mount. But Grado makes good stuff.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BigFactory posted:

That grado black you linked to isn’t P mount. But Grado makes good stuff.

The picture isn't, but under 'mount type' P-mount is an option and that's the one I ordered.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CornHolio posted:

The picture isn't, but under 'mount type' P-mount is an option and that's the one I ordered.

I think it will be an upgrade over what you had. AT makes good carts, too, but the one you had was pretty budget.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

CornHolio posted:

I have a Grado black on my backup turntable; it sounds great. Like BigFactory said, Grado makes good stuff. Never taken the Pepsi challenge with a comparable cartridge, tho.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

The Hiroshi Nagai cover art collection grows...

Also Skull Sessions is a ripping cover too imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Arcella posted:

The Hiroshi Nagai cover art collection grows...

:hfive: Nice, I have Notam of Wind OST arriving in a few days! $70 was kind of rough, but I was able to justify it by the fact that I've had the OST on a loop in my office for almost three weeks now.

What a weird lil' thing! Tempted to try to check out the game now...