Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

gendre qeere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

You dumb motherfucker, the argument for Bill Clinton not being prosecuted was that a sitting President shouldn't have to deal with a civil lawsuit on top of their duties as President. And the argument for Hillary not being prosecuted was that the case had already been closed with no criminal charges. You can argue those are bullshit and the real reason is "It would hurt them in the election" but then that's the point, the Dems weren't saying "It will hurt us in the election," they were saying the other things!

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, this is a real problem, especially because people are just saying "gently caress you" instead of listing any of the specific categories, like the bigotry ones.

It does seem like a really bad idea. I was kind of behind it at first but at this rate we're going to end up with like 200 nominations for "gently caress you" and like, three for everything else.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Twelve by Pies posted:

You dumb motherfucker, the argument for Bill Clinton not being prosecuted was that a sitting President shouldn't have to deal with a civil lawsuit on top of their duties as President. And the argument for Hillary not being prosecuted was that the case had already been closed with no criminal charges. You can argue those are bullshit and the real reason is "It would hurt them in the election" but then that's the point, the Dems weren't saying "It will hurt us in the election," they were saying the other things!
Also, even if you accept the premise of the cartoon that this is just a political witch hunt, so were all those other things, and Gorrell's just suddenly deciding it's unfair.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
oh those crazy maga! they're so ready to go off just because hillary is an evil creature from the depths of hell that screams at everyone and wants unlimited money and power!
just like:

quote:

why oh why are we stuck with trump??? we should find the motherfuckers who supported him and root them out!
this is perfectly indicative of arguing about trump with a chud by the way:
"trump's the best! trump's the best! trump's the best!"
"trump just poo poo himself"
"i'm tired of talking about politics"

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

...now Rob, is the person that's arguing for both these things in the room with us right now?

Ah, I see the skull court is assembled...

Kikas fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 4, 2023

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Grape flavor is supposed to mimic the concord grape, which is a different species from the common grape.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Regarding the plain and simple gently caress you, that makes sense. For me it wasn't meant to overshadow things, bu just for those comics that are so egregiously blatantly malicious and wrong that it makes you more angry than any other reasonable emotion. Maybe it's callousness on my part, but that doesn't happen so often so I don't feel like pulling it up that much. It's a comic that isn't so wrong and dumb that you can also laugh at it while crying I guess.

The two times I felt it best motivated were for Goodwyn and Varvel mainly because those fuckers think that they're feminist and so right in attacking trans, and it is good that children die and now can see Jesus, respectively. Lester's always been a bad man and these takes for me just fall in line with him demonizing trans-people. Smith is the Dumbest Man on the Planet (copyright), so it's not terribly surprising, and that Varvel is just more gas-lighting from them.

I think it has it's place, but we just need to better define what it means to us, and if that ends up meaning something different to everyone maybe then yeah, we drop it, since Worst Overall is more or less the equivalent to it.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Al Goodwyn

Andy Marlette

Chip Bok

Gary Markstein

John Deering

Michael Ramirez

Mike Luckovich

Steve Breen

Steve Kelley

Tom Stiglich

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
drat that's a horrible batch. I don't even know where to start hating.

Okay I will hate the Fentanyl one, as it comes right after one dedicated to a real tragedy. That's some misplaced effort. Effort that will make people think that Fenta is a bigger problem than it really is and is targeting kids.

Kikas fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Apr 4, 2023

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Dogs shouldn't even be drinking beer.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Floozy? The papers wouldn't print "slut"?

I haven't been paying attention to that story but is what she says even contested? I thought it was about his misreporting the money or something along those lines, not even involving her directly.

Fentanyl isn't magically dangerous. The way we treat drugs is what makes the drug supply unsafe, and forces people to use it in unsafe circumstances. The stigma and laws around drug use are the cause of those deaths.

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 4, 2023

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Kellies nomination: Most easily reinterpreted

The real problem that has to be confronted is guns. A good cartoon.

Also putting "Fentanyl Reaper" on my list of band names.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

There's a new batch of Benny Gee out. It's trans hate, Musk worship, and poor ol' Trumpey. Bleh.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Kellies Nomination : Least concealed bigotry

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

In my defense, when I proposed the "gently caress you" category, that was before we had another school shooting. I'm fine with dropping the category because... my God, so many takes that aren't bad enough for a "worst cartoon about a tragedy-school shooting" but terrible enough that all you can say is "oh gently caress you".

Except the one about the kids in Heaven, I stand by THAT "gently caress you" Nomination.

Edit: What about using the "gently caress you" category as an "Honorable Mention", where you feel that something isn't bad enough to warrant a full nomination, but pretty loving bad regardless?

Randalor fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 4, 2023

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

No, Rall has no point. People don't talk much about his role at Gitmo because he's done even worse things far more recently.
This is the first I've heard of it. And if your political calculus omits "oh, and he's a torturer" as inconsequential, that should tell you something.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Laziest non...oh

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

jesus loving christ. it's weird we had all these other shootings where nobody was taking hormones at all. maybe they were all trans in secret

...why even misspell Gender Queer? what does that achieve

"Look, her story checks out, but this woman... she's had sex. Have to abandon the whole case."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kellies Nomination: Worst Cartoon About a Tragedy

Kellies Nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry: Transphobia

quote:

Steve Kelley

Kellies Nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry: Misogyny

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Wow, a floozy came up with 34 charges?!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
That doctor better hurry, because if they don't the shooter is going to start shooting!

quote:

Something tells me Donald will have no problem finding a jury of his peers. Like there's a shortage of rich assholes in New York.

Skios posted:

Chip Bok

What are you mad about? 37 rounds and each one struck evil!

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Tambaloneus posted:

I could be wrong but I thought the kettle thing was bc your stoves (in the USA) are wired to more power than your power points, whereas here in Aus (not sure about UK) our power points have more voltage (240 vs your 120 I think) thus our kettles only take a couple minutes to boil water and in USA takes longer than stove? Not sure what your stoves are wired as and of course they could be gas which I presume is pretty fast at boiling water vs 120v electric if that's what yours are wired to. Total guesswork though.

We use microwaves to boil water.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

Something tells me Donald will have no problem finding a jury of his peers. Like there's a shortage of rich assholes in New York.

There's no shortage of rich assholes, but can you find 12 rich assholes that Trump hasn't ripped off or pissed off? That's the catch.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

So Skelley, what exactly was Cohen convicted of again? Why would the prosecution use him of all people for evidence?

:iiam:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Angepain posted:

jesus loving christ. it's weird we had all these other shootings where nobody was taking hormones at all. maybe they were all trans in secret

Yeah it's pretty telling. I mean, yelling. It's yelling "I hate queers and I love guns!!!"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Xander77 posted:

This is the first I've heard of it. And if your political calculus omits "oh, and he's a torturer" as inconsequential, that should tell you something.

I think this is the original article, and it paints a pretty clear picture of how much of a monster DeSantis is. I don't think you should ignore it.

Cliff's notes, spoilered if you'd rather not read about torture:

-DeSantis was officially there as a Judge Advocate General (JAG) to advocate for detainees and ensure that their human rights were respected
-In this capacity, he interviewed them, and put on his best Good Cop impression, which made them confide in him about being tortured and particularly which method of torture had the greatest impact on them.
-He, of course, reported which methods were the most effective, and those methods were ramped up in response. Sleep deprivation in particular was found to be universally loathed.
-He also oversaw some force feedings of detainees on hunger strike, which are described in personal accounts and, categorically, torture. DeSantis did not participate in the process, but just stood there and watched with a satisfied smile.
-He would go on to report that Guantanamo is a professionally run and humane facility, nothing untoward happening there.

It's actually pretty hosed up that no one but Ted Rall has touched on this.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

Good to see more support for #EndIntersexSurgery

Skios posted:

Al Goodwyn

It's always strange how the people who say "it's not a religion, I have a personal relationship with Jesus (he goes to a different school)" accuse the irreligious of some sort of self worship.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Xander77 posted:

It's not that it's inconsequential, DeSantis is just that bad a human being. His COVID response is responsible for thousands of deaths.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 4, 2023

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Kellies Nomination: Worst concealed bigotry (transphobia)
Kellies Nomination: Worst cartoon about a tragedy
Kellies Nomination: Worst overall

gently caress YOU

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

What... what does this guy think it means when people say "crickets"?

Like, OK. Does he think that drawing literal crickets is some kind of clever visual pun, and if so, what kind of crickets does he think the expression/meme refers to instead?

Or, if he does understand, correctly, that when people say "crickets" they are referring to the insects called crickets, then how does he not understand that what's being referred to is the sound of crickets chirping as a cultural shorthand for total silence (because you can hear nothing other than the crickets). It doesn't mean... silent crickets.

Or, if he does understand that, then how does he not realise that in the final panel, the crickets, by finally making some noise, i.e. chirping, are actually now doing the thing that indicates silence???

Kellies nomination: Most Confusing; Least Competent; Not Even Wrong; and while I'm at it, Laziest Non-Gorrell

I know I've invented some categories there but 'Most Incomprehensible' just isn't quite right for this. I understand the meaning of the cartoon, yet I'm confused anyway by the specific incompetence of how it's conveyed. Can we have a Least Competent or Worst Cartooning category? Or like... Most Poorly Communicated? Some people, regardless of message, are just terrible at... not drawing necessarily, but cartooning. They just can't loving cartoon.

Ugh, anyway

Edit:

Skios posted:

Steve Kelley

A floozy! :monocle:

Love the keen sense of reason on display here. "Yeah, that guy was my accomplice in a crime." "And are we to take the word... of a confessed criminal?"

"Yeah, I had sex with that guy." "Ah! But if that is true, then you are an unscrupulous whore, and how can anything you say be true? Are you even present in this room?"

Chicken Parmigiana fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 4, 2023

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005
The Cartoonist Does Not Understand How Crickets Work

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Agree -- so many shootings that it's hard to keep the names straight anymore.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rolling fork was hit by tornados, not guns.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Skios posted:

Chip Bok

Why would evie do this :ohdear:

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Kellies Nomination: Best Parody/Edit

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Skios posted:

Steve Kelley

Heaven to mercy, a floozy! Can you imagine taking the word of a woman of the night!

Fister Roboto posted:

Rolling fork was hit by tornados, not guns.

Given this is America, the tornado probably picked up some guns and threw them at things as well.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Lou McKeever on travel delays at Dover – Coaches were held at the port, leading to some school trips being cancelled"

Telegraph:

Resolute and determined, Donald Trump is ready to fight against what he calls an ‘injustice’; Inside the £2m military metaverse dedicated to training future soldiers, I guess?

Matt:

Polluters will pay to clean up sewage-infested rivers, says Thérèse Coffey

Times:

Evan Gershkovich: worldwide outcry over Russian detention of reporter

Evening Standard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Skios posted:

Steve Kelley

Huh, what was the convicted liar lying about again, Kelley? And how does it pertain to the "floozy"? I can't possibly imagine how that ties back to Trump /s.