Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I moved a hard-tread chair to the lab area since the workbench chairs hurts my back, and those treads were just tearing up the lovely painted concrete

We ended up getting some pvc mats and taping them down to protect the floors

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks, Amazon is chock full of soft-tread options. I found a 5-piece kit for :10bux: with delivery tomorrow.

Dear God I love this chair already.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

.Z. posted:

Heads up Embody owners, if you've been wanting a headrest and are willing to part with $189 ($179 if you preorder before April 1), there is finally going to be a solution.

Atlas Headrest's Embody headrest is finally nearing release.
https://atlasheadrest.com/collections/headrest-for-embody-chair

I mean that’s cool, but I’ve never felt the need for one, weird as that sounds.

I also think that it would look like poo poo from a profile view — it looks like it attaches midway on the chair. Maybe it won’t look bad, but it would have to be a super slim fit I’d think.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

There's a profile shot on their Instagram and while I wouldn't say it looks like poo poo, it's certainly interesting.

This does have me kind of considering one for my Aeron, though

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I really want to try the embody head rest as I have a bad habit of nodding off around 3:00 PM and it would make that much more comfortable

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I like which half of this you have chosen to fix. Priorities on point.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I'm a highback and head rest enjoyer which I recognize is basically asking for trouble at around 196cm. A local used dealer rattled off some inventory over the phone, and from my own research the Gesture, the Humanscale Freedom Chair, or the Beacon (which I had no idea existed until today, it seems like a Fern clone?) seem like they might be the most compelling options.

Any other recommendations or 'don't bother with this' for the too tall for their own good crowd?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I'm a highback and head rest enjoyer which I recognize is basically asking for trouble at around 196cm. A local used dealer rattled off some inventory over the phone, and from my own research the Gesture, the Humanscale Freedom Chair, or the Beacon (which I had no idea existed until today, it seems like a Fern clone?) seem like they might be the most compelling options.

Any other recommendations or 'don't bother with this' for the too tall for their own good crowd?

Excellent post user name combo

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Freedom with headrest is a great chair

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

What's the cheapest way to get replacement Aeron parts? I finally broke down and got a Size C Classic off Facebook Marketplace. I'd love to replace the arms and wheel frame with polished aluminum ones but even the arms alone are more than I paid for the chair.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

What's the cheapest way to get replacement Aeron parts? I finally broke down and got a Size C Classic off Facebook Marketplace. I'd love to replace the arms and wheel frame with polished aluminum ones but even the arms alone are more than I paid for the chair.
ebay but don’t do that

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

ebay but don’t do that
But why

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
mixing parts from older and newer generations of chair can sometimes result in compatibility issues

but mostly because those are some of the most expensive and pain in the rear end parts to replace. changing out the wheel frame requires completely disassembling the piston from the adjustment mechanism, then knocking the frame loose from the piston. it just isn’t worth the time, effort, and risk of damaging something. it isn’t an easy swap, and you might as well throw in a new piston as well because many don’t survive the removal process.

if you are that picky about having a new aeron with all the new features and cosmetics, just buy a new aeron.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

TenementFunster posted:

mixing parts from older and newer generations of chair can sometimes result in compatibility issues

but mostly because those are some of the most expensive and pain in the rear end parts to replace. changing out the wheel frame requires completely disassembling the piston from the adjustment mechanism, then knocking the frame loose from the piston. it just isn’t worth the time, effort, and risk of damaging something. it isn’t an easy swap, and you might as well throw in a new piston as well because many don’t survive the removal process.

if you are that picky about having a new aeron with all the new features and cosmetics, just buy a new aeron.

Normally I’d disagree, but with a chair that lasts as long as these do, it’s worth putting a little extra to the side (if you can) to buy new and avoid the issues down the line IMO.

Oh and the 12 year warranty helps.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

tehinternet posted:

Normally I’d disagree, but with a chair that lasts as long as these do, it’s worth putting a little extra to the side (if you can) to buy new and avoid the issues down the line IMO.

Oh and the 12 year warranty helps.
i love my 1996 franken-aeron. they are a hell of a deal that will last forever with plenty of cheap spare parts in the event anything breaks or wears out, but yeah if you want a shiny new aeron, just buy the shiny new aeron.

no sense in spending ~$300 on an old aeron and then even more on new OEM parts plus the hours of time to retrofit them

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i didn't say anything about the aeron needing to be shiny and new, i just want to swap two parts. clam down

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I am about 10cms taller than you or whatever 6 foot 6 in non American is and I found the Logitech Embody worked for me, I know it’s dumb but the Steelcase just looked so dang boring. Long story short I don’t feel like I needed a headrest but ended up pre ordering one from Atlas since I wanted to grab quick naps during work day(being old sucks)

On the headrest tangent I am half thinking this Atlas company is a scam because I haven’t been able to pay off my pre order. They notified to pay it since shipping is starting but their order portal doesn’t let me give them money. Their support site said they were trying to get it fixed with their merchant vendor. Seems like they would want to fix that aspect of their business plan quickly but it hasn’t resolved itself in the past 5 days

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

i didn't say anything about the aeron needing to be shiny and new, i just want to swap two parts. clam down
yeah and those are some of the most expensive/hardest to swap/newest parts. it is not worth it versus just buying a new one with a warranty

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Speaking of buying a new one with a warranty, guess who just got his yearly bonus and pulled the trigger on a new Aeron? :woop:

I am ready to have an extremely comfortable rear end and to get away from this awful cushion on my Autonomous ErgoChair.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Just to keep your expectations properly managed here - the point of the good chairs isn’t that you sit in them and go ‘wow this is the most comfortable I have ever been’, but that 10 hours after you plonked your goony carriage down you are going ‘wow my back and shoulders are not killing me’.

DoctorTristan fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 23, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah the cheap chairs are optimized for feeling great when you first sit down in them, but the effect lasts about eight hours and then is gone forever. That's a separate and additional problem from the ergonomics being bad.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Crandall Office is running a 30% off their Steelcase authorized return chairs with code "THIRTY". I don't think it's that great of a deal on Leap V2s since you can get them cheaper reconstructed, but you can get a Gesture w/o headrest for under $800 with the discount which is what I picked up.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

If anyone in the UK is thinking of getting a Logitech Embody, it’s £1060 instead of its usual (even higher) price for the next few weeks.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

SuperTeeJay posted:

If anyone in the UK is thinking of getting a Logitech Embody, it’s £1060 instead of its usual (even higher) price for the next few weeks.

Logitech doing chairs now?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

SuperTeeJay posted:

Looks like an automatic 20% off for gaming chairs with an additional 5% off using code EXTRA5, making it equal to the 25% off sale back in December. Should work in all regions, including US and EU.

MuadDib Atreides posted:

Logitech doing chairs now?

They partnered with Herman Miller for a gaming chair years ago, yeah. It has a few upgrades over the regular Embody if the promotional materials are to be believed.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
The Logitech embody is literally the best chair you can get.

Join us

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

DoctorTristan posted:

Just to keep your expectations properly managed here - the point of the good chairs isn’t that you sit in them and go ‘wow this is the most comfortable I have ever been’, but that 10 hours after you plonked your goony carriage down you are going ‘wow my back and shoulders are not killing me’.

Expectations managed and you are totally right. For the past three weeks I've been dealing with pain from a pinched nerve in my right shoulder, caused by my last seat being so uncomfortable and me messing up my posture to compensate. My Aeron got delivered a couple days back, it's been helping enforce a better posture and that pinched nerve pain is gone.

I had no idea they got delivered fully assembled. A few adjustments here or there and it was perfect. Recurring back/shoulder pain has been an issue of mine for years now, I should have bought one of these a long time ago.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

My Aeron got delivered a couple days back

:grin:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Y'all got a recommendation for a good office chair on a budget? No particular requirements apart from it not creaking or squeaking under normal use and not being leather or faux leather.

Before it's mentioned, there currently aren't any auctions in my general area for Aerons under about 1200 bucks for lowest bid, closing price looks like its closer to 2000. I guess my budget is somewhere under that because it feels too spicy for me.

E: I guess also no gamer branding since that seems pretty common these days.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 30, 2023

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Aerons shouldn’t be anywhere near 2k

Even brand new off their site at full MSRP they’re $1650

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

In this country they are :v:

E:Yeah, I see the price for new is closer to 1700. Auctions just aren't much better and they valuate them at 2000 for god knows why. I guess I'm willing to part with somewhere around the 800 dollar range, if that helps?

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 30, 2023

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Fruits of the sea posted:

In this country they are :v:

Jesus christ

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Anyone had a problem with the Aeron where the front edge of the seat hurts your thighs? Elevating my feet with a footrest seems to help but I'm pretty sure that renders the position unergonomic. There must be an adjustment to fix this but I'm not sure what

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sadly I am guessing there is little adjustment that can permanently remove the famous Aeron Front Edge Issue for people with certain thigh length + other physical feature combination that causes it. I have a touch of it too.

Have you tried a comfy towel draped ergonomically somehow?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
The hard edge is an unavoidable consequence of the mesh seat design, HM curves the seat to reduce it as much as possible but they can't eliminate it entirely. If it's causing issues for your body type then you might have to start looking at getting something with a standard foam seat instead. :shrug:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'm surprised this issue doesn't come up more given the otherwise effusive praise for this chair. This is my fourth chair in 1.5 years so I'll probably just deal with it for now. Maybe I'll try the Gesture next.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Anyone had a problem with the Aeron where the front edge of the seat hurts your thighs? Elevating my feet with a footrest seems to help but I'm pretty sure that renders the position unergonomic. There must be an adjustment to fix this but I'm not sure what

It passed after 2 weeks for me.
As a lanky motherfucker my legs had just never been supported that far down.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Anybody familiar with the HÅG Creed chairs?

It's more in my price range and I know folks who use HÅG's high end low-backed chairs for work and back problems that are pretty happy with them.
https://daarbakdesign.dk/shop/hag-creed-6002-kontorstol-select-sort-solv-alm-gas-5121650.html

e: The sale price is actually 1000 less, that's just the best picture I could find.

Or this? https://www.istol.dk/futura-tm-multi-ergonomisk-kontorstol.html

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 2, 2023

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

How long have you been using it?

My issue was more with the sides of my thighs and I thought that the Aeron simply wasn't for me. Then about a month in, I realized one day that at some point I had just stopped sitting in ways that put pressure on the edge of the seat pan.

For the front, though, I wonder if you wouldn't benefit from one of those footrests I sometimes see in offices.

Personally I keep a full-on ottoman under my desk for when I want my feet up but I recognize I'm the odd one out here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I use a low foot rest with mine. What makes you say that renders the chair un-ergonomic?