Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Skull Servant posted:

fairly uncontroversial (not seeped in imperialism) topic.

I would argue it was very much imperialism, it was just the French doing it to us this time round :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I grew up in the 80s, and the line being (subtextually) pushed by the media was "the IRA are trying to blow us all up because they want to take over Northern Ireland!", with no mention at all that I can remember of Ireland's history in my, er, History classes. It was only shockingly and embarrassingly recently that I learned Northern Ireland is not even as old as the pop-up toaster. That stuff was just not taught, at least up to O-level, and the British media had no interest in providing additional context for what I now realise are very obvious reasons.

I at least did wonder "why are the shouty Protestant men in bowler hats allowed to march through Catholic areas banging on drums? Isn't that just deliberate poo poo-stirring?" Decades later, I have the answers: "state-approved intimidation", and "yes".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Skull Servant posted:

Hastings et al is a core event which set into motion the last millennium of history, a fairly easy to understand "start of the current royal line" for school kids
The start of the current royal line was when the Dutch invaded and defeated the English and sent their king packing to France in 1689.

Anything else is Anglo royalists drawing lines everywhere on family trees and going "I'm not owned" as they slowly turn into a crown cob.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/profsked/status/1643206166036598786

This is also grim. There was a time when I had access to up to 35 hours a week care, and it was life changing: I went to places, did things, had a flat that was clean enough to invite visitors to etc. I lost all of that 6+ years ago and I haven't been anywhere or done anything in that time, nor is my flat getting any cleaner.

I got referred to the emergency adult social services dept sometime last year by the out of hours doctor, which resulted in a very kind man phoning me up, listening to everything I had to say, then telling me that there was nothing he could do.

I'm 'lucky' in that I don't need personal care, so I can still function, 'survive' and give the illusion of coping without immediately dying, but I have friends who need care support to survive who are seeing their care plans decimated. People have been dying due to lack of care for a long time now.

I guess we are going to see even more avoidable deaths...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

To be honest when we were taught about the reformation it was mostly taught as a comical side-event to the otherwise important and scandalous marriages of Henry VIII.

Frankly the more I think about history in my time growing up the more I feel that most of my teachers weren't equipped to teach it, but then I think history is only really taught properly by people who love history and engage with it excitedly, rather than dryly listing off dates and events.

Hell the only things I really remembered were from my high school history teacher covering WW1 and 2.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Tesseraction posted:

To be honest when we were taught about the reformation it was mostly taught as a comical side-event to the otherwise important and scandalous marriages of Henry VIII.

Frankly the more I think about history in my time growing up the more I feel that most of my teachers weren't equipped to teach it, but then I think history is only really taught properly by people who love history and engage with it excitedly, rather than dryly listing off dates and events.

Hell the only things I really remembered were from my high school history teacher covering WW1 and 2.

I think a lot depended on what exam syllabus they were following. I started doing GCE O-level History (GCSEs hadn't been invented then) and our school had opted for 'modern history' & began late 19th century with the run up to WW1. I found subsequently that alternative syllabuses were available focused on different ages eg reformation or dark ages or whathaveyou, just you can't teach everything. Anyway, I had to give it up when the parentals moved (again) and I had to go to an all girls school and was forced to choose between chemistry or history - chose chemistry as I wanted to study physics at uni and thought that would be more useful. (But we had compulsory biology because 'all girls should study biology' though quite what use the sex-lives of amoebas and spirogyras were to girls but not boys I have yet to discover.)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's good for arming them against extremely divorced men who like to lecture women on what gametes they should have.

e.g. Linehan, who also has the sex life of an amoeba.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Hockey for girls, football for boys. Biology for girls, physics for boys, Office and Information Studies (typing) for girls, computer science (coding) for boys. These were actual weird gendered splits assumed when I was at school.

Oh yeah and also technical drawing for boys, art and design for the girls (and the gays).

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 4, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I played netball and the gender criticals can eat all my shits.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

feedmegin posted:

I would argue it was very much imperialism, it was just the French doing it to us this time round :shobon:

Oh absolutely, but I feel like imperialism in that era was a little different than more recent imperialism under capitalism.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

fuctifino posted:

This is also grim. There was a time when I had access to up to 35 hours a week care, and it was life changing: I went to places, did things, had a flat that was clean enough to invite visitors to etc. I lost all of that 6+ years ago and I haven't been anywhere or done anything in that time, nor is my flat getting any cleaner.

I got referred to the emergency adult social services dept sometime last year by the out of hours doctor, which resulted in a very kind man phoning me up, listening to everything I had to say, then telling me that there was nothing he could do.

I'm 'lucky' in that I don't need personal care, so I can still function, 'survive' and give the illusion of coping without immediately dying, but I have friends who need care support to survive who are seeing their care plans decimated. People have been dying due to lack of care for a long time now.

When I first started working in care I thought "At least I'll always be in a job, they're not just going to leave people to die"

Folks, they do in fact just leave people to die. And they treat you as a problem if you point this out.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

keep punching joe posted:

Hockey for girls, football for boys. Biology for girls, physics for boys, Office and Information Studies (typing) for girls, computer science (coding) for boys. These were actual weird gendered splits assumed when I was at school.

Oh yeah and also technical drawing for boys, art and design for the girls (and the gays).

In my folks days add on Home Ec for lassies, metalwork for the lads

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Woodwork for boys, home economics for girls.

I loving hated woodwork. :argh:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

I did TD when I was at a mixed school - I loved it. I was the only girl and I was 2nd in the class. The boy who was top had a draughtsman father.
Something else I had to give up when the folks moved and I had to go all girls. Initially they sat me at the back of bottom set art and expected me to study TD O-level on my own, but it didn't work out like that, and I ended up with the other bottom set art girls cutting pictures out of magazines into little squares, turning all the squares 90deg to the left and sticking them down on another bit of paper. What a bloody waste of my time!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Wish I'd gotten to do any kind of technical subject instead of all the nerd poo poo. Now I'm stuck as the Virgin Scientist Computer-Toucher vs the Based Chad Tradesman, driving a big van and lying to normies about completion dates and fixed costs

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I have fond memories of woodwork because teacher let us play a CD, and we organised our paintball trip to Aviemore there

My parents still have my clock I made. Well so they think. Don't have the heart to admit to my mam it's actually won that was mostly finished and I dug on of the cupboard because I'd arsed around too much and fell behind.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fuctifino posted:

I'm amazed that, after 13 years of austerity, three years of COVID and well over 400,000 avoidable deaths, there's anyone still left for the Tories to murder.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

The start of the current royal line was when the Dutch invaded and defeated the English and sent their king packing to France in 1689.

Anything else is Anglo royalists drawing lines everywhere on family trees and going "I'm not owned" as they slowly turn into a crown cob.

The Royal line is absolutely a mess but even the most ardent royalists won't bother connecting William to Ethelred, for example. It's the cleanest break to teach to 10 year olds, I feel, especially since before then the Kings of England ruled over a far different England to what we know of today. It is also cleaner than talking about smaller regional kings and their own unique lines of inheritance.

Very much not perfect, but I think that should be the absolute baseline for British education, which they somehow manage to gently caress up.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Skull Servant posted:

The Royal line is absolutely a mess but even the most ardent royalists won't bother connecting William to Ethelred, for example. It's the cleanest break to teach to 10 year olds, I feel, especially since before then the Kings of England ruled over a far different England to what we know of today. It is also cleaner than talking about smaller regional kings and their own unique lines of inheritance.

Very much not perfect, but I think that should be the absolute baseline for British education, which they somehow manage to gently caress up.

Look nerd, first there was the big bang, then Henry the Eighth, then World War 2 and then now. Nothing else happened.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Wish I'd gotten to do any kind of technical subject instead of all the nerd poo poo. Now I'm stuck as the Virgin Scientist Computer-Toucher vs the Based Chad Tradesman, driving a big van and lying to normies about completion dates and fixed costs

I was unfortunately the other side of this (iirc you are also Irish? Not sure if you're in the North or Republic).

I went to a tech school and for Leaving my school cut the history class. I had to take tech drawing (along Technology and Engineering) as my third choice subject. I ended up taking history as an additional subject outside of school time. Thank God I had a history teacher willing to give up his own time to teach one kid. If I didn't take the subject to university level (fingers crossed soon Masters level) I'd feel guilty about it.

Tesseraction posted:

Look nerd, first there was the big bang, then Henry the Eighth, then World War 2 and then now. Nothing else happened.

Also the Romans happened. Ignore their presence on Great Britain for some reason, let's just focus on general Roman society for some reason?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Skull Servant posted:

I was unfortunately the other side of this (iirc you are also Irish? Not sure if you're in the North or Republic).

I went to a tech school and for Leaving my school cut the history class. I had to take tech drawing (along Technology and Engineering) as my third choice subject. I ended up taking history as an additional subject outside of school time. Thank God I had a history teacher willing to give up his own time to teach one kid. If I didn't take the subject to university level (fingers crossed soon Masters level) I'd feel guilty about it.

Also the Romans happened. Ignore their presence on Great Britain for some reason, let's just focus on general Roman society for some reason?

No there was only ONE roman who ever set foot in england and that is our LORd and SAVIOUR JESUS CHRIST

Get it right.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No the whole island was full of Celts who shat in beakers and worshipped the beakers full of poo poo, then the Romans came to teach them how to speak English and love Jesus and do capitalism properly by double entry bookkeeping. Then the roman empire fell to the papists so Henry IIX had to tell them what was right and wrong by getting divorced a bunch of times. Then the great war happened over the Turks touching Crimea or something.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

i remember spending years at school hating every subject but history and then finding out that my school didnt even offer history at gcse lol

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I don't think I got interested in history until I dropped it to do Geography for S.Grades.

Doesn't help when your 1st & 2nd year History teacher was the most boring teacher in the entire school. Also the first person I'd ever encountered who almost always smelled of alcohol

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Got to admit, I really really wish my school had offered courses on cooking and the like- might have discovered my metier for candy making thirty years ago and be a Captain Of Industry like we were told we would all inevitably be.

Though admittedly my absolute favourite subject was chemistry taught by the great Dr Szydlo. Which if you think about it is just cooking on a very small scale..

Also got taught enough about making explosives to start a pretty good insurgency should the need arise lol

E: Our history education at least was pretty good, though during our a-level course on the 3rd Reich I (as the only non Jewish kid in the class, also 6’2” with a blond buzz cut) could have done without being made to stand at the front as a demonstration of what Nazi propaganda defines as a ‘perfect aryan’.

E2: in my gcse CDT class I literally made a working firearm from first principles, with the full support of the school. Which was bloody awesome (at the time I wanted to be a gunsmith), but now does raise a slight element of ‘wtf were they thinking’. Had a collection of fascinated teachers come to watch me test fire it in the school rifle range, using gunpowder cooked up in the chemistry labs.

Camrath fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 4, 2023

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
My history education (in Glasgow) was Vikings and Glaswegian history in primary school, including an inordinate amount of time spent on the Clydebank blitz to the point where as I grew older the fact that the blitz was just two nights completely faded from my memory and I was shocked to later re-learn that as an adult.

In Secondary school our history lessons were the Scottish Wars of Independence, the Origins of the Scottish People and The Scottish Wars of Religion. Maybe some other subjects but those are the only ones I remember, I didn't take History past second year.

Origins of the Scottish People was a wild ride, my teacher had this weird approach where he was keen to hammer home that the Scots were a "Mongrel Race" (his words, on the blackboard) as a kind of...pro-multicultural message? I can no longer remember if his point was "Mongrels are the healthiest dogs" or "Any Scot who clings to racial purity is a fool", or both, but I do remember at least that his conclusion which followed from that was "immigrants and minorities are every bit as scottish as everyone else in this country". Which I guess is the right conclusion even if he used some utterly wild inversion of eugenics to reach it.

So pretty much zero non-Scottish history, though if you count Classical Studies I did The Peloponnesian War, The Founding of Rome, and The Fall of the Roman Republic.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Camrath posted:

E: Our history education at least was pretty good, though during our a-level course on the 3rd Reich I (as the only non Jewish kid in the class, also 6’2” with a blond buzz cut) could have done without being made to stand at the front as a demonstration of what Nazi propaganda defines as a ‘perfect aryan’.

:what:

That is.... something.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Red Oktober posted:

:what:

That is.... something.

Did wonders for my already fairly low popularity, and was one of the reasons I completely checked out of my school socially by the Upper VI. :/

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
My primary school did a play about the exodus and the teacher thought it was a good idea to have the only Jewish kids play the part of 'the Hebrews'.

There was a song where we all sang the lyric 'Death to the Hebrews, death to the Hebrews, slay them, kill them, destroy!'. Very normal and fun stuff.

And that teacher's name?

Jeremy Corbyn.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 4, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Camrath posted:

lmao

I hope your classmates also appreciated how weird that was for you.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Tesseraction posted:

lmao

I hope your classmates also appreciated how weird that was for you.

It loving sucked. They did not.

Edit: once again I find myself doing the ‘phrasing what was a pretty traumatising experience as a funny story’ thing. Should really try and stop doing that.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I had a couple not very good history teachers for all the early British history stuff, but then just in the nick of time I got a really good teacher for a module on the Russian revolution and got more interested and read a couple other books he recommended and started to think "Hmm, seems like these communists make some pretty good points."

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

My history lessons were terrible, and I remember having to remember rhymes like "1644, the battle of Marston Moor". I have no idea about the context, where Marston is, who fought, who won, what it was fought over or the repercussions, but 36 years later, I still remember that useless loving rhyme.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

My primary school did a play about the exodus and the teacher thought it was a good idea to have the only Jewish kids play the part of 'the Hebrews'.

There was a song where we all sang the lyric 'Death to the Hebrews, death to the Hebrews, slay them, kill them, destroy!'. Very normal and fun stuff.

And that teacher's name?

Jeremy Corbyn.

On a sort of similar note, one of my classmates was Coo when the rest were Catholic. When we were getting confirmed (which is done through school because Church and State separation in education basically doesn't exist in Ireland) the entire class bar then was sat down by the principal to softly explain that just because he wasn't getting confirmed with us didn't mean he was a bad person or didn't believe in God, but he would have his own confirmation in private at a later time.

I understand the concern, but we were all 11 and he was one of the more popular kids so it didn't impact him at all to my knowledge. Maybe I'm wrong and it was needed in some way but we all just shrugged and went oh okay then.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Camrath posted:

Edit: once again I find myself doing the ‘phrasing what was a pretty traumatising experience as a funny story’ thing. Should really try and stop doing that.

Sorry, it's not me laughing at you, it's more the laugh-reaction to how loving uncomfortable something is. It's obviously not funny for you.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

Camrath posted:

If it's at all comforting to hear from a nothing lurker who does this a hell of a lot: there aren't wrong answers. Feeling like yours might be is one of those scar tissue things. Love your fudge.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Lol. Simon Danczuk was tweeting about grooming gangs, so people are reminding him of the time he sexted a 17 year old girl who asked him for work experience. He's on a mass blocking spree by the looks of it. lol. He blocked me within 4 minutes

https://twitter.com/search?q=SimonDanczuk%20%20&src=typed_query&f=live

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Camrath posted:

When I was at primary school they did an assembly about “everyone’s different, don’t make fun” and brought all the “different” kids to the front. There was Richard the haemophiliac who couldn’t go out at break, Mark with horrible scars on his neck and chest from a hot water burn as a baby, and Steven, who was black. My friend Ailsa was called up because she had red hair, but demurred. I’m sure there were more. I’m also pretty sure it made things immediately and directly worse for all the children involved.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Skull Servant posted:

On a sort of similar note, one of my classmates was Coo when the rest were Catholic. When we were getting confirmed (which is done through school because Church and State separation in education basically doesn't exist in Ireland) the entire class bar then was sat down by the principal to softly explain that just because he wasn't getting confirmed with us didn't mean he was a bad person or didn't believe in God, but he would have his own confirmation in private at a later time.

I understand the concern, but we were all 11 and he was one of the more popular kids so it didn't impact him at all to my knowledge. Maybe I'm wrong and it was needed in some way but we all just shrugged and went oh okay then.

Hah that's familiar. I grew up in a Catholic country with official state religion lessons (since abolished with further separation of church and state). My CoE parents sent us kids to those lessons because "it's all basically the same", but we sat out of first communion prep and confession.

At one point my religion teacher asked me "so what are you, some kind of Orthodox or something?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

I'm amazed that, after 13 years of austerity, three years of COVID and well over 400,000 avoidable deaths, there's anyone still left for the Tories to murder.

Think of it the other way around - this is the perfect government for creating more vulnerable people to be degraded and ground down into nothing.