Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1642951559666597889?s=20

This and Dunc 2 in the same month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
good month for some Dolby at least

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Alan Smithee posted:

is he making his own Spaceballs too

I mean he is on the quest for more money

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

My mind and heart are ready.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

A Ridley Scott historical epic, you say...?

...on Apple TV!?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
is tetris even in theaters

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Can there an award for best voice acting role recorded in an active war zone?

Wanna see that bear ride a tank

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Alan Smithee posted:

is tetris even in theaters

It's on the Gameboy

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dave Bautista is The Rock with some actual self-awareness

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
He's trying to get cast in the Gears of War adaptation https://twitter.com/DaveBautista/status/1590837419791695872

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I still love the rock but yeah Bautista is just Strictly Better Rock

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I still like Dwayne but he needs to work on his ego and not try to force everything into his brand or he’ll turn himself into Will Smith in 10-15 years.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t hate the Rock, I just wish there was any variation in the roles he’s willing to play. He seems completely unwilling to push himself into uncomfortable stuff that doesn’t allow him to basically just play himself.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Pain and Gain, but that was probably the last time he did it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I do wonder if that will change with the failure of Black Adam. I mean outwardly his brand will never really change he's never going to come out and be like "yeah I hosed up" but I could conceivably see him trying a less typical role for him now or/and maybe he'll have a few people in his inner circle that will be less hesitant to say no about stuff or whatever.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

I’ve been to prison…and it sucks.

Jumanji and its sequel did have his body inhabited by an awkward teenager and various others.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

Jumanji and its sequel did have his body inhabited by an awkward teenager and various others.

And it was honestly the worst thing about those movies.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

I do wonder if that will change with the failure of Black Adam. I mean outwardly his brand will never really change he's never going to come out and be like "yeah I hosed up" but I could conceivably see him trying a less typical role for him now or/and maybe he'll have a few people in his inner circle that will be less hesitant to say no about stuff or whatever.

Thing is, Black Adam WAS supposed to be a less typical role for him. The character was supposed to be a full on villain. Then as production went on, his brand obsession and ego took over and we got stuff like in story most of his reputation being a lie and him being extremely regretful of those he killed, him never losing any of the fights against the goody two-shoes Justice Society (he is only captured because he SURRENDERS), refusing to have Shazam cameo as promised because he didn't want a goofy character in his movie and instead insisting on the Superman cameo in the hopes of one day fighting him. He literally cannot do a non typical role at this point.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 4, 2023

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

He even put a Black Adam teaser in The League of Super Pets movie, where he voiced both Krypto and Black Adam.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

Talking of Bautista v The Rock, Dave would probably kill in a Bay movie

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pretty sure the failure of Black Adam is what made him convince Disney to do a Moana live-action remake. It just reeks of his need to have something of his own.

Also this is very topical from a few pages back:
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1643247234128183299

Somewhat related is that HBO is looking into making a Harry Potter remake series. :laffo:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I thought it was all ogre for Mike Myers.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Dwayne Johnson is pretty disappointing since I was legit happy and eager to see him in movies not made for children, like The Rundown and Fast Five. And then at some point he decided to just be Dwayne Johnson™, like he's preparing to be easily turned into an AI actor or something.

Basically the same career trajectory as Ryan Reynolds, really.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

GrandpaPants posted:

Dwayne Johnson is pretty disappointing since I was legit happy and eager to see him in movies not made for children, like The Rundown and Fast Five. And then at some point he decided to just be Dwayne Johnson™, like he's preparing to be easily turned into an AI actor or something.

Basically the same career trajectory as Ryan Reynolds, really.

Nah, with Ryan Reynolds you at least get some sense of passion from him. It's apparently passion for being a gigantic child that has to have tea-bagging in every movie of his, but it's not nothing.

With The Rock, a cynical person could suspect that he chose to do Live Moana because he gets to talk aboutcultural heritage a lot. Cheap and critically unassailable publicity.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ryan Reynolds is much better than the Rock. Plus he'll make fun of himself.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Check out Welcome to Wrexham to get a better idea of what kind of person he is. And yeah, he makes fun of himself constantly.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
He got madder and madder that Moana viewers couldn't see his actual biceps on screen

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Reynolds had to slug it out in lovely movies for years before they let him just do things he wanted to. He’s found a niche that he’s happy with and audiences still like. Not same thing as the branding ego trip Dwayne is off on right now.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Modern Harry Potter fandom is 100% nostalgia wanking and the #1 rule to nostalgia is to never revisit your memories. The Fantastic Beasts movies are bad but they also show that people aren't going to accept new Harry Potter content for the sake of content. I can't really see a reboot turning out well other than the initial flash in the pan publicity.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Harry Potter needs to lie fallow until the Terf is plowed under.

Edit: drat, she's only 57?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ryan Reynolds can definitely pick and choose what projects he does as he is extremely rich after selling his cell phone company recently. His share of the sale was something like $300 million.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Beachcomber posted:

Harry Potter needs to lie fallow until the Terf is plowed under.

It would probably be more moral but the HP turning into the Warner Brothers version of Disney Star Wars is kinda nightmarish too

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Rock has lost any veneer of authenticity that he once had. When he started acting, people expected another Hulk Hogan. Hulk Hogan, despite being a conniving, backstabbing scab in the wrestling world, seemed authentic in movies. Mostly because he was an awful actor and just did his wrestling thing.

When The Rock started being in movies, people were blown away because he was actually making an effort and wasn't just his wrestler persona. He is kind of back to that now, or has created an image that is the wrestling version of Will Smith.

Thinking about this for a moment made me realize how much alike his roles in Black Adam and The Scorpion King are.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

precision posted:

I still love the rock but yeah Bautista is just Strictly Better Rock

Bautista is much Boulder, for one

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

mycot posted:

Modern Harry Potter fandom is 100% nostalgia wanking and the #1 rule to nostalgia is to never revisit your memories. The Fantastic Beasts movies are bad but they also show that people aren't going to accept new Harry Potter content for the sake of content. I can't really see a reboot turning out well other than the initial flash in the pan publicity.

I still stand by the first Fantastic Beasts movie being good. Not GREAT, but it was fine and enjoyable and I had a good time with.

Everything after that though, loving hell...

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Vandar posted:

I still stand by the first Fantastic Beasts movie being good. Not GREAT, but it was fine and enjoyable and I had a good time with.

The ending is pretty bad and soured me on it, but yeah, I'd say it was mostly a fun enough family movie.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Vandar posted:

Yeah, it had something.

Edit: oh! It was its own thing. If they wanted to make a movie about Dumbledore they should have done that instead of hollowing out the inside of this movie and crawling inside.

They could have easily kept making relatively inoffensive movie about wizards in different countries with different cute and scary animals for years.

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 5, 2023

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/FutureHasbeen/status/1643339717008846848

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Bautista is much Boulder, for one

:golfclap:
Not going to let this slip by unattended.

Also Reynolds was the highlight of Blade 3 if anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

Rock has lost any veneer of authenticity that he once had. When he started acting, people expected another Hulk Hogan. Hulk Hogan, despite being a conniving, backstabbing scab in the wrestling world, seemed authentic in movies. Mostly because he was an awful actor and just did his wrestling thing.

When The Rock started being in movies, people were blown away because he was actually making an effort and wasn't just his wrestler persona. He is kind of back to that now, or has created an image that is the wrestling version of Will Smith.

Thinking about this for a moment made me realize how much alike his roles in Black Adam and The Scorpion King are.

I can't pinpoint exactly when it happened but once The Rock decided that the movies he stars in should be about his Brand more than being a movie, that's when he completely lost me.

Obviously it was always the case to some extent but it really escalated to an absurd degree over the years.