Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I kinda just want something to solo with pre-constructed deck, mostly, and there isn't much within the genre that has that, I feel. Might give the steam version a try when it goes on sale, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CitizenKeen posted:

Are the two even the same type of game, other than theme?

One is a deckbuilder, the other is a game with preconstructed decks.

And that's about the only difference. Gameplay is fairly similar except in Legendary you need to buy cards. So really SOTM is just Legendary with the deck building aspect removed.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Played Paint the Roses and Burgle Bros 2 over the weekend.

Paint the Roses is just such a good game. One player put down a tile that she didn't put a cube on, and based on the tile she placed, the tiles available, and where she placed it, we were able to determine exactly what card she had and gently caress it felt so good. We won one step ahead of the queen in a nailbiting final guess that had a 50/50 chance of being right, and if not for a choice near the beginning of the game where we decided to guess an Easy card so as to not pass the rabbit on that particular turn, we would've lost.

Burgle Bros 2 is also fun, but wildly difficult. I've only played two games of this thus far, but reaching the finale has always been right down to the wire, and both times have ended with us losing because inevitably the bouncers start hunting us down and we are all out of gear uses. It's yet to be frustrating, but man, it is definitely tougher than the first game.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

great game. the designer really built off of the lessons he learned from the lesser titles d’eaux and uhne to create a game greater than the sum of its parts. consider checking out the sequel catra if you’re looking four a good time.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Jedit posted:

Yes; don't. It's a very poor game and not worth your time. Legendary does the same thing but better.

I would've thought "same thing but better" would be Marvel Champions if anything. Legendary is okay but it's a completely different kind of card game.

I found Sentinels to be mostly a boring and fiddly game about tracking conditional +1s from all my cards, but maybe post-base game content improved on the model. I definitely wouldn't recommend the base game over the Marvel Champions Core Set (which I have the same complains about to a lesser degree).

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
The game "Boop" was recently brought to my attention as an interesting abstract. It's selling for almost $40, but I'm just 3d printing some tokens with about $1 worth of PLA filament, and then the game can be played on a 6x6 grid. It has me thinking about application of theme in board games though, and I'm wondering what are some other equally unnecessary or absurd theme applications to otherwise simple games. Santorini (the base game) could be an example but I think with the added god cards the flavor comes through a bit more with the theme.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Uptown is a pure mp abstract tile layer that, in fact, has a completely themeless version called Blockers!.

Wizard, similarly, has a version that has none of the hilariously bad fantasy art.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

silvergoose posted:

Uptown is a pure mp abstract tile layer that, in fact, has a completely themeless version called Blockers!
I played Blockers once and greatly enjoyed it. Weird to see it come like a blast from the past.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

It's a great game, I like to mention it every so often, very easy to get into since it's just place a tile draw a tile.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Played a few more games of Beast. In order:

2 players - Played the hydra against Helga and Assar. Scenario was the default 2-3p. Pretty handily danced around the hunters. Got a lot of cash up front, the damage boost, bing bang boom. Game won.

4 players - Played Fangrir against Helga, the commander lady, and Iona. Scenario was the default 4p. Won the second night with one hit point left by playing four summon icon cards and swarming down the cities with the charging wolves.

3 players - Played as watchtower guy with Assar against the Megapig. Scenario was the default 2-3p. We won on the last night as the pig failed to meet their objective. We also SUPER hosed up the summon rules, so the pig didn't really have a chance. Whoops.

Overall thoughts having played a few games:

Pros
- game good
- playing the beast is fun and you feel simultaneously powerful and terrified
- playing the hunters is intimidating, but catching the scent, doing the math, and being like "oh the beast is right there" is dope
- art design is pretty cool
- rulebook is good

Cons
- the card slots in the box are too deep to get a finger in. literally the worst
- the teach is a bit long, which kicks an already pretty long game into 3ish hours for a first play
- pretty severe quarterbacking vulnerability, like real bad

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I have board game friends but they're mostly remote and we don't often sync well. But I see them having fun and wonder what I'm missing out on.

I've played very few modern ones. I enjoyed Ascension, if deck builders count, Risk 2210, hated Secret Hitler, was ambivalent about Lords of Waterdeep. I play MtG and rpgs so mechanical complexity isn't a kiss of death.

But I have no idea what to even say I'm looking for. I don't know what kind of mechanical identity I'm looking for. Your Majesty by Sam Mustafa looks awesome but 1) I don't know who I could possibly rope into that and 2) I don't wanna just play card games only.

Is there like a quiz or flow chart or something that asks what sounds like fun that I could use to get an idea of things to look at? I got linked a recommendation engine but it wants 3 board games I like and I don't think I've played enough modern stuff to say.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Do you live near a game shop you can go try new stuff at?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

armorer posted:

Do you live near a game shop you can go try new stuff at?

Most of the shops near me are more MtG and Warhammer but a couple further out have more of a board game focus. Not sure if they do demos or whatever.

Oh, I guess I played Blood Bowl and liked that, though the swinginess of it is not something I would seek out so often. If miniature tactics count, I looked at Kill Team but all the measurements turned me off.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Have you tried lookin at Meetup (or maybe Facebook groups?) to see if there are boardgaming clubs in your area? I've always been a pretty active gamer but I've really gotten deep into Euros over the last 18 months or so thanks to a Meetup group.

e: meant that as an example, not "You should get into Euros."

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is there like a quiz or flow chart or something that asks what sounds like fun that I could use to get an idea of things to look at? I got linked a recommendation engine but it wants 3 board games I like and I don't think I've played enough modern stuff to say.

First off, I second what armorer and Admirality Flag suggested. You might be able to find a local board game meetup at a game store or maybe even a small convention to try games. If you have no one to play with, those are likely to be the most profitable angles to take. It does have the same risks of bad players and poor sports but that's just strangers sometimes.

As for what to play, I'd suggest simply trying to be open minded for your first few forays if you're doing it with randos. Now, if you've played Magic, you will be well enough prepared to take on anything you're likely to come across in these types of environments, at least from a complexity or competitiveness level. For the first few weeks, just play whatever people are willing to teach you. Hopefully that exposure will give you the chance to understand what you like and don't like and you can use that to find your way around.

I should get back to my board game meetup. I didn't go too often, and never since the panini, but I should go again. It's a cool way to play lots of different stuff.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

armorer posted:

The game "Boop" was recently brought to my attention as an interesting abstract. It's selling for almost $40, but I'm just 3d printing some tokens with about $1 worth of PLA filament, and then the game can be played on a 6x6 grid. It has me thinking about application of theme in board games though, and I'm wondering what are some other equally unnecessary or absurd theme applications to otherwise simple games. Santorini (the base game) could be an example but I think with the added god cards the flavor comes through a bit more with the theme.

Idk man boop just doesn’t pop the same without the *real quilted comforter* as a playing surface

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Bodanarko posted:

Idk man boop just doesn’t pop the same without the *real quilted comforter* as a playing surface

I could make that pretty easily, but I'm going to make a square drawstring bag instead with the grid stitched on one side, which holds the pieces when you're not playing but lays flat to become the board.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I have board game friends but they're mostly remote and we don't often sync well. But I see them having fun and wonder what I'm missing out on.

I've played very few modern ones. I enjoyed Ascension, if deck builders count, Risk 2210, hated Secret Hitler, was ambivalent about Lords of Waterdeep. I play MtG and rpgs so mechanical complexity isn't a kiss of death.

But I have no idea what to even say I'm looking for. I don't know what kind of mechanical identity I'm looking for. Your Majesty by Sam Mustafa looks awesome but 1) I don't know who I could possibly rope into that and 2) I don't wanna just play card games only.

Those games you mention are pretty average-to-below average these days, with many games surpassing any mechanics they utilize, so don't feel too disheartened. For example, if you liked Ascension as a game where you fight monsters using deckbuilding mechanics, maybe look at Aeon's End for a nicely-themed deckbuilding game where you and other player fight big boss enemies and try to stay alive through it.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I have played Stationfall twice now (first 2p, then 3p with the person from the first game). Both times the learner complained about how there was SO MUCH to retain. Both are very experienced with modern games. I'm really surprised by their reactions! It does take a while to teach...perhaps I haven't been doing a good job of emphasizing what parts are fine to re-absorb later. I think it would also help to have a sheet answering "how do I...?" questions, like "How do I down characters?" or "how do I get items that other people have?" or "how do I release Project X?"

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Morpheus posted:

Those games you mention are pretty average-to-below average these days, with many games surpassing any mechanics they utilize, so don't feel too disheartened. For example, if you liked Ascension as a game where you fight monsters using deckbuilding mechanics, maybe look at Aeon's End for a nicely-themed deckbuilding game where you and other player fight big boss enemies and try to stay alive through it.

I'll give it a look, though I think what I enjoyed most about Ascension was less about killing monsters and more about building neat synergistic engines, like pairing card draw with banishment to play entire decks in a turn or the rube goldberg device construct combos and stuff. I didn't *mind* killing monsters, of course, but it wasn't really the theme of that that sold me on the game.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

homullus posted:

I have played Stationfall twice now (first 2p, then 3p with the person from the first game). Both times the learner complained about how there was SO MUCH to retain. Both are very experienced with modern games. I'm really surprised by their reactions! It does take a while to teach...perhaps I haven't been doing a good job of emphasizing what parts are fine to re-absorb later. I think it would also help to have a sheet answering "how do I...?" questions, like "How do I down characters?" or "how do I get items that other people have?" or "how do I release Project X?"

I've taught well over a hundred games and Stationfall is easily the one I dread teaching the most even though I absolutely love the game. I think it's because there's sooo much up front information that people need to absorb, and since the hidden roles play such a large part it becomes really hard for players to ask rules questions once the game begins without revealing something of their intentions or role. Once you get going it's not actually all that complicated but it's just a lot to take in up front.

That said I taught it to someone whose previous heaviest game was probably 7 Wonders Duel and they managed just fine and really enjoyed their play.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'll give it a look, though I think what I enjoyed most about Ascension was less about killing monsters and more about building neat synergistic engines, like pairing card draw with banishment to play entire decks in a turn or the rube goldberg device construct combos and stuff. I didn't *mind* killing monsters, of course, but it wasn't really the theme of that that sold me on the game.

People don’t seem to get that Ascension is all about trying to build a completely busted deck faster than your opponent.

Its not supposed to be this apathetic, linear, Doninionesque “and now I take another hamlet for a coin and two victory points”, it’s you and your opponent both trying to cobble together an absurd engine to wipe the floor with the other as soon as you pull an Exodia.

Also, play Clank

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
https://www.catan.com/catan-fans/news/we-mourn-passing-klaus-teuber

Klaus Teuber, designer of Catan, has passed away at age 70.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

https://www.catan.com/catan-fans/news/we-mourn-passing-klaus-teuber

Klaus Teuber, designer of Catan, has passed away at age 70.

Aw, drat.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

God has gathered one of his sheep to him. I hope he had the decency to trade them some wood. :rip:

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Jedit posted:

God has gathered one of his sheep to him. I hope he had the decency to trade them some wood. :rip:

M-m-mods???

Man was a legend, his influence on the hobby cannot be calculated. Catan was probably the third hobbyist board game I ever played and even though I dislike it today, I still get a craving for it every now and then.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I think Catan was such a formative game for the board game industry as a whole, so I'm sad to see him go.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Catan is still the game that sells enough to keep the local non-warhammer non-magic-singles hobby shop open and able to stock the games that barely sell to weirdos like us.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

"I love and support my local game store" I say to myself as I violently enter my credit card info directly into Lautapelit's website to preorder the Eclipse Second Dawn expansions instead of waiting for them to make it to my local game store's shelves.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Decon posted:

"I love and support my local game store" I say to myself as I violently enter my credit card info directly into Lautapelit's website to preorder the Eclipse Second Dawn expansions instead of waiting for them to make it to my local game store's shelves.

Oh hell yeah I pre-ordered those the day they came online (Feb 28th)

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

armorer posted:

Oh hell yeah I pre-ordered those the day they came online (Feb 28th)

Same. Only issue is that I own neither of the copies of the base game I usually play with :lmao:

Love the game though, so gently caress it. If I really ever need to separate out the new bits, they should have the little "I'm an expansion piece" indicator.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Decon posted:

Same. Only issue is that I own neither of the copies of the base game I usually play with :lmao:

Love the game though, so gently caress it. If I really ever need to separate out the new bits, they should have the little "I'm an expansion piece" indicator.

I am lucky enough to have more than 6 friends in my circle who all enjoy Eclipse, so we'll definitely end up getting a (way too long) 9 player game of it in at least once after I get those expansions. After that I'm sure the added playable races will shake up our 6 player games some. Most of my friends shy away from playing the Eridani, so I usually end up playing them and I rarely use the early advantage well enough to not fall behind once the upkeep get out of control. So I'll appreciate the other options if no one else does.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
How is Second Dawn compared to...whichever version came out in like 2012?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Some Numbers posted:

How is Second Dawn compared to...whichever version came out in like 2012?

Honestly I haven't played the earlier one, but my understanding is that the component design dramatically reduced how fiddly it was to track everything. The second dawn races have really nice dashboards that track your income and resources in a simple way, and also has nice trays to hold the upgrade and tech tiles that can be easily passed around the table during the game as players want to look at whatever. I can't imagine trying to play this game without those to assist.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Age of Innovation up for preorder. It’s a Terra Mystica Remake/Sequel.

Keeps the cult tracks but adds separate innovation tracks that act like tech tracks from Gaia Project. Adds QIC cubes in the form of books, variable QaiC powers unlike the fixed ones in GP, and neutral special buildings any faction can build. Biggest change is you now build you custom build factions at the start of the game by drafting terrain bord, abilities, and a new GP-esque stronghold building.

I’ve never played Terra Mystica, but Gaia Project might be my favorite game. Not sure how I feel about getting this, especially with a Gaia Project expansion in the pipeline for early 2024.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 4, 2023

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You forgot the link! It's called Age of Innovation. I think it was at GenCon last year? It's due out in the fall-ish.

https://capstone-games.com/board-games/age-of-innovation/

Not too hot on the theme but a fusion of TM/GP can only be a winning combination. I too love GP and am super pumped for its expansion though. Decisions, decisions...

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

SettingSun posted:

You forgot the link! It's called Age of Innovation. I think it was at GenCon last year? It's due out in the fall-ish.

https://capstone-games.com/board-games/age-of-innovation/

Not too hot on the theme but a fusion of TM/GP can only be a winning combination. I too love GP and am super pumped for its expansion though. Decisions, decisions...

I've always wanted TM, but others in my group have it. GP's aesthetics left me cold.

This is an easy buy for me. I'll probably just pre-order at my FLGS and forget about it until I get a call in November or something, but easy-peasy purchase.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
As someone who never played TM and went straight to GP, are there any differences in the fundamental gameplay (strategy, tactics, flow, player interaction) of TM that are different than GP? I vaguely remember people saying it’s a bit meaner cause of the way the hexes are directly next to each other?

The fact that the tech track is divorced from tech scoring, which is on a separate points only cult track, just seems inelegant/worse to me. Other than that, browsing through the rule book showed me just how similar the two games are!

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Odds are my group will try Age of Innovation, but we'll see if it dethrones GP. I haven't played TM, but I like space (prefer fantasy, but like space) and repeatedly hearing "it's TM but the cult track isn't literally points and nothing else" has really killed my interest in ever learning Terra Mystica.

AoI sounds like it could be very successful, but it does also sound like it could add unnecessary complications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If you're coming to TM from GP probably the biggest thing to trip you up is in TM burning power is more permanent. Gaining new power is out of the realm of everyone, so burn with care.