Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

The Moon Monster posted:

I can't help but think "pressed peanut scrapings" every time I see a can of nuts.

sweepings actually which to me is even funnier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Man, Phil Hartman was a treasure. I just wish Jon Lovitz finished the job on Andy Dick.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Data Graham posted:

Good example of where Homer's spontaneous singing started to feel implausible and weird, and it's in season 5.

e: so was the Be Sharps. I wonder if they were consciously trying to make it a "thing"

no!

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

YeahTubaMike posted:

he can talk he can talk he can talk he can talk he can talk

I CAN SIIIIIIIING!!!!

I've never seen Planet of the Apes either :haw:

It's funny, I hadn't seen Planet of the Apes for the longest time and my entire view of it was informed by the Simpson musical of it. Was really surprised to see how antagonistic and cruel Dr Zaius was in the actual film.

Actually I had a similar reaction with the Street Car Named Desire muscial episode that is also fantastic in its absurdity. When I eventually saw Streetcar I was surprised to learn that Blanch didn't descent into madnees, she was clearly quite mentally ill from the start.

And yeah both of those media are pretty dreary and depressing in tone so the idea of them being musicals is just hilarious.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I couldn't take Scorsese's Cape Fear seriously. I was waiting for de Niro to step on a bunch of rakes.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

You Are A Elf posted:

Man, Phil Hartman was a treasure. I just wish Jon Lovitz finished the job on Andy Dick.

Same, and often.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Zeniel posted:

It's funny, I hadn't seen Planet of the Apes for the longest time and my entire view of it was informed by the Simpson musical of it. Was really surprised to see how antagonistic and cruel Dr Zaius was in the actual film.

Actually I had a similar reaction with the Street Car Named Desire muscial episode that is also fantastic in its absurdity. When I eventually saw Streetcar I was surprised to learn that Blanch didn't descent into madnees, she was clearly quite mentally ill from the start.

And yeah both of those media are pretty dreary and depressing in tone so the idea of them being musicals is just hilarious.

There are so many things like this where I was exposed to something through the simpsons as a kid and totally missed the joke. I was just thinking of one today, I always heard the words geodesic dome in that Kwik e mart song and it wasn't till years later I learned what the hell he was talking about. I thought it was something about a decent dome so I thought that was why it was funny or something. I don't know I was like 8 years old. I remember my mom also finding it amusing that I would sometimes laugh at things in the simpsons just because of the comedic timing and the way you could tell certain things were punchlines, and I didn't actually know why it was funny, I just laughed anyway.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Uh oh! - moving!

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Money can be exchanged for goods and services

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I had a dream I was belting out the monorail song while people hid from me

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Dixville posted:

There are so many things like this where I was exposed to something through the simpsons as a kid and totally missed the joke. I was just thinking of one today, I always heard the words geodesic dome in that Kwik e mart song and it wasn't till years later I learned what the hell he was talking about. I thought it was something about a decent dome so I thought that was why it was funny or something. I don't know I was like 8 years old. I remember my mom also finding it amusing that I would sometimes laugh at things in the simpsons just because of the comedic timing and the way you could tell certain things were punchlines, and I didn't actually know why it was funny, I just laughed anyway.
On that subject:

https://twitter.com/cogentanalysis/status/1178814240523788293

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Dixville posted:

I didn't actually know why it was funny, I just laughed anyway.

I think this describes the fan base that still watches the show now.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Zeniel posted:

I hadn’t seen it’s a wonderful life so when they have the Jimmy Stewart bank manager claiming the bank’s money was in Bill’s house & Fred’s house I thought he was trying to deflect the mob’s anger by making wild claims that Bill & Fred were to blame. Still works.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

JAMOOOL posted:

I have sometimes wondered if the Planet of the Apes musical was actually the show's finest moment just because of how hard it is to make poo poo like that actually funny

One of the things that the Simpsons in its golden age was nearly unmatched at is having in-universe media be deliberately and clearly bad and/or absurd while also being genuinely entertaining to watch. Itchy and Scratchy in particular being just over-the-top enough to escalate things to an absurd degree and abruptly end, for one. And then the whole Poochie episode, and the 'say no to drugs' one that both pretty well skewered some of the worst trends of 90s cartoons. The Christmas That Almost Wasn't But Then Was is also very specifically bad. Come to think of it, that one does have the kids outright pointing out the bad parts, but that's probably somewhat necessary given the joke is in part it's something so out of their cultural frame of reference, and so tedious and boring, they're actually baffled by it.

They apparently phased out The Happy Little Elves because viewers didn't get that it was supposed to be empty and saccharine, and it was probably a lot harder to make that funny.

Zeniel posted:

Extra funny that apparently that episode came about because the lawyers advised the writers that they couldn't use dialogue from Streetcar without paying royalties, but they COULD write song lyrics based on it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Extra funny that apparently that episode came about because the lawyers advised the writers that they couldn't use dialogue from Streetcar without paying royalties, but they COULD write song lyrics based on it.

drat, when is the last time Simpsons writers put this kind of above & beyond effort into bringing their ideas to fruition?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One of the things that the Simpsons in its golden age was nearly unmatched at is having in-universe media be deliberately and clearly bad and/or absurd while also being genuinely entertaining to watch. Itchy and Scratchy in particular being just over-the-top enough to escalate things to an absurd degree and abruptly end, for one. And then the whole Poochie episode, and the 'say no to drugs' one that both pretty well skewered some of the worst trends of 90s cartoons. The Christmas That Almost Wasn't But Then Was is also very specifically bad. Come to think of it, that one does have the kids outright pointing out the bad parts, but that's probably somewhat necessary given the joke is in part it's something so out of their cultural frame of reference, and so tedious and boring, they're actually baffled by it.

They apparently phased out The Happy Little Elves because viewers didn't get that it was supposed to be empty and saccharine, and it was probably a lot harder to make that funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCtRPtjGGXI

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pft, the comment pointing out this is more educational than Barney ever actually was.

Actually can tell you a lot about which shows become beloved nostalgia and which become immediate targets of backlash and comically over the top hatred. See the Wiggles for contrast.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Everyone always called Barney a "purple dinosaur" but on my TV he was bright red. I thought I was being gaslit for years, then the Simpsons showed that Barney clip and he's clearly purple so I knew it wasn't my TV, and now I know I was being gaslit

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I hadn’t seen it’s a wonderful life so when they have the Jimmy Stewart bank manager claiming the bank’s money was in Bill’s house & Fred’s house I thought he was trying to deflect the mob’s anger by making wild claims that Bill & Fred were to blame. Still works.

I was genuinely surprised (and slightly disappointed) that the last line of the famous 19th century coming-of-age novel wasn't "...and then they realised they were no longer little girls, they were little women."

Another classic example of how peak Simpsons could craft a reference joke that was funny even if you had no real idea what the reference was. Moe tearing up while reading classic literature to the homeless is a perfectly cromulent joke. That it's also a one sentence parody of Little Women is a bonus.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure I said this in this thread before, but until recently I had no idea that Rocky VII: Adrian's Revenge was not a real movie. Having never watched any of them and all.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro
If you want to go to Hell, you should take a trip
To the Sodom and Gomorra on the Mississip.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I'm pretty sure I said this in this thread before, but until recently I had no idea that Rocky VII: Adrian's Revenge was not a real movie. Having never watched any of them and all.

I’m surprised we’re up to Rocky IX and it’s become a well regarded franchise again.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Von Pluring posted:

If you want to go to Hell, you should take a trip
To the Sodom and Gomorra on the Mississip.

It's just so catchy, how could they hate it?

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Streetcar named desire is my favorite play and whenever i go back and read it or watch it i still think of the simpsons, which is actually where i was first exposed to it. The only other reference i can think of was the one in seinfeld where they talk about "STELLA" and then i read it for some English lit class and ended up loving it.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
It's my brother's birthday, and I always make sure to send him this clip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC5XcyYFuqc

And I think it's another example of just how good golden age Simpsons was. It's an explicit celebrity cameo instead of someone doing a guest voice, but it's just quick in, quick out, and just so goddamn memorable and so goddamn funny. Now compare that with something like the Lady Gaga episode.

Actually, don't think about the Lady Gaga episode. Just go rewatch the clip.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

IBroughttheFunk posted:

It's my brother's birthday, and I always make sure to send him this clip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC5XcyYFuqc

And I think it's another example of just how good golden age Simpsons was. It's an explicit celebrity cameo instead of someone doing a guest voice, but it's just quick in, quick out, and just so goddamn memorable and so goddamn funny. Now compare that with something like the Lady Gaga episode.

Actually, don't think about the Lady Gaga episode. Just go rewatch the clip.

A friend of mine always sends me the, "You're the birthday, You're the birthday, You're the birthday, boy or girl!" clip on my bday. Never get tired of it.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Hell, the MJ Happy Birthday Lisa song is pretty sweet, even if its banned from Disney+ due to his ehhh...

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

:same:

and last time it was brought up in this thread people still wouldn't explain what the joke was :smith:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mr Interweb posted:

:same:

and last time it was brought up in this thread people still wouldn't explain what the joke was :smith:

at the time there were fewer than seven Rocky movies. Adrian is Rocky's girlfriend and later wife who is very reserved and not likely to be seeking revenge against someone.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

at the time there were fewer than seven Rocky movies. Adrian is Rocky's girlfriend and later wife who is very reserved and not likely to be seeking revenge against someone.

thank ye

see, this i get, but what still bothers me is that bart seemed to have just made up a movie like that on the spot? like, he was referencing it as if it were an actual movie

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s a joke about how there are too many rocky movies don’t overthink it

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mr Interweb posted:

thank ye

see, this i get, but what still bothers me is that bart seemed to have just made up a movie like that on the spot? like, he was referencing it as if it were an actual movie

The modern version would be something like Transformers 10: Starscream Gets his Groove Back

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 13, 2023

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
It's the same joke as "Star Trek XII: So Very Tired"

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

See also-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WYllbOBobM

Sadly they missed by like 15 movies...

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Mr Interweb posted:

thank ye

Lol c'mon

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

hatty posted:

It’s a joke about how there are too many rocky movies don’t overthink it

This was already a running joke when Rocky V came out and didn’t do so hot critically or commercially.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FreudianSlippers posted:

The modern version would be something like Transformers 10: Starscream Gets his Groove Back

Are we even that far off from that? Not even getting into the MCU or Fast and Furious.

Also I don't think they ever stopped making direct to video Land Before Time sequels.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Zeniel posted:

A friend of mine always sends me the, "You're the birthday, You're the birthday, You're the birthday, boy or girl!" clip on my bday. Never get tired of it.

I have sung this to friends, and I admit to printing this out once for a valentine who loved the show

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Howard Beale posted:

I have sung this to friends, and I admit to printing this out once for a valentine who loved the show

My wife got me a keychain with this printed on it. I don’t recall if it was before/reason for marrying her though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
So I've never really watched the Simpsons until it was all on D+. I had the privilege of the classic episodes being mostly new to me. Since the pandemic started I've become quite familiar to Seasons 3-10 and knew to not go past there. Having never seen what this show became I decided to see how long I would last on an episode from the current season.

Dear god.

There are no jokes. Just plot points and Homer screaming all his lines. I know this thread is well aware of the show's decline but I'm just glad I didn't see it happen gradually in real time.