Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Definitely have to watch that when I'm back on WiFi

I just finished my second read of The Mauritius Campaign, and, goddamnit Clonfert.

Admiral Bertie giving Jack the task of reporting the Mauritius victory in London after scooping the material victory out from under him was a nice touch that I'd completely forgotten, though.

Fe: huh, the capital of Rodrigues Island is Port Mathurin, founded in 1735. I wonder that it never came up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Speaking of, I ran across this passage while reading this evening:

I just got to that bit in my reread, and it felt to me like foreshadowing of Martin's departure . That bit has always felt like a rather abrupt transition for a character, without the usual story tie-ups that you expect, and since it happens relatively soon after that book it must have been on O'Brian's mind.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Thanks for posting this, it's really well done and clarified a lot of things I didn't have clear in my mind from the books.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

In Book 19 Stephen does a hell of a humble brag that I missed before. Talking about the Masons and the carbonari with another agent, he says that he only knew one Mason: a member of his Club who was dismissed when he voted for the execution of his brother the king. So this can only be the Duc d'Orleans, Future King Louis Philippe. And Stephen is bragging that they were Club members.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

thekeeshman posted:

Thanks for posting this, it's really well done and clarified a lot of things I didn't have clear in my mind from the books.

Likewise, and I just finished (most of) what must be my 7th or 8th circumnavigation, and I even have some of the companion books that explains things.

I said most of there because I decided to pick things up in The Ionian Mission rather than just start at the beginning. The 'middle' of the series is my favorite part, although I did go back and read the first few chapters of Master and Commander because it's always fun reading about when Jack and Stephen first met.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

In Book 19 Stephen does a hell of a humble brag that I missed before. Talking about the Masons and the carbonari with another agent, he says that he only knew one Mason: a member of his Club who was dismissed when he voted for the execution of his brother the king. So this can only be the Duc d'Orleans, Future King Louis Philippe. And Stephen is bragging that they were Club members.

Oh is that it? I thought it was clubbish terms, like execution is blackballing someone and the king was the head of that chapter of the club.

Interesting political reference if your interpretation is right though. Seems odd, I don't know if the Duc d'Orleans was a mason, I can't imagine Louis XVI was, and I thought the implication was Stephen definitely isn't, due to his Catholicism.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Genghis Cohen posted:

Oh is that it? I thought it was clubbish terms, like execution is blackballing someone and the king was the head of that chapter of the club.

Interesting political reference if your interpretation is right though. Seems odd, I don't know if the Duc d'Orleans was a mason, I can't imagine Louis XVI was, and I thought the implication was Stephen definitely isn't, due to his Catholicism.

Louis Phillipe was, indeed, a Mason, although part of the Grand Orient of France which is complicated. To Stephen it wouldn't have mattered which Grand Lodge it was, though.

And no, Stephen wasn't a Mason, he was just saying that one of the club members was.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
Oh dear

https://twitter.com/thom_weights/status/1637979315945066496?t=06p1sPBn_CjsoTIRJqLGXQ&s=19

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I really wanted HOLD FAST tattooed on my knuckles when I was about 18 because of that movie.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

What a badass

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Ah, no. Needs a tat of a gaping 4lb cannonball shot directly below that. That would be badass.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Mr. Mambold posted:

Ah, no. Needs a tat of a gaping 4lb cannonball shot directly below that. That would be badass.

Give him time. And bonus points if he also gets a matching tat on the front so it looks like the cannonball ploughed right through him.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Louis Phillipe was, indeed, a Mason, although part of the Grand Orient of France which is complicated. To Stephen it wouldn't have mattered which Grand Lodge it was, though.

And no, Stephen wasn't a Mason, he was just saying that one of the club members was.

Oh I see, it was a social club Stephen was a member of with the aforementioned Mason. How interesting, thanks.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER

Dutch bark Europa shows the full shooting match that Jack and crew are always trying to impress Steven with. Studding sails (the extra ones to each side) set aloft and alow, with all courses set - from bottom of the mast, you have course, topsail, topgallant, royal, skysail and moonraker - not to mention various jibs on the bowspit (although the jibs I suspect are just for show - with all these courses out, they would be blanketted from any wind).

Gives you an idea of just how much canvas they can spread when conditions are right.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

I think those are actually split topsails and topgallants, common from the middle 19th century for easier sail handling, as evidenced by the unsplit studdingsails. So what we're seeing is, from the bottom: course, lower topsail, upper topsail, lower topgallant, upper topgallant, royal.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
Good point, I found her sailplan. The topsails are split but the topgallants are not. So we're seeing royals and skysails but no Moonraker (cries in James Bond)

https://www.barkeuropa.com/what-we-do/the-ship

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

jazzyjay posted:

Dutch bark Europa shows the full shooting match that Jack and crew are always trying to impress Steven with. Studding sails (the extra ones to each side) set aloft and alow, with all courses set - from bottom of the mast, you have course, topsail, topgallant, royal, skysail and moonraker - not to mention various jibs on the bowspit (although the jibs I suspect are just for show - with all these courses out, they would be blanketted from any wind).

Gives you an idea of just how much canvas they can spread when conditions are right.

It is just like Bridie Colman’s washing day, I do declare. Everything is within an easy hand’s reach, so it is.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Have been trawling second hand bookshops lately to try and collect the series and came across these and just had to pick them up

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

screaden posted:

Have been trawling second hand bookshops lately to try and collect the series and came across these and just had to pick them up

Nice score. I put a bid in on a complete set on UK eBay but didn’t win; ended up going for almost a thousand pounds.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Lord Bude posted:

Give him time. And bonus points if he also gets a matching tat on the front so it looks like the cannonball ploughed right through him.

You know those biomechanical tattoos where it looks like machinery is bursting out through your skin? That but a hammered-out shilling on your scalp

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I love moments where Jack says something incomprehensible to someone who isn't Stephen and they bring him up with a round term.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Finished up Desolation Island last night, I think every new book becomes my favourite, with maybe swapping M&C and Post Captain around, I loved Mauritius Command but Desolation has taken it's place as my current favourite. I went straight on in to The Fortune of War and just lol at Stephen getting hurling and cricket mixed up and just destroying Jack's wicket. The description of the fielders knowing this guy doesn't know what he's doing and all coming in nice and close is absolutely spot on too, I've been in that position a few times because I'm not much of a batter, but at least I knew what game I was playing.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

screaden posted:

Finished up Desolation Island last night, I think every new book becomes my favourite, with maybe swapping M&C and Post Captain around, I loved Mauritius Command but Desolation has taken it's place as my current favourite. I went straight on in to The Fortune of War and just lol at Stephen getting hurling and cricket mixed up and just destroying Jack's wicket. The description of the fielders knowing this guy doesn't know what he's doing and all coming in nice and close is absolutely spot on too, I've been in that position a few times because I'm not much of a batter, but at least I knew what game I was playing.

The image of Stephen gracefully, powerfully, proudly loving up that cricket game will be with me until the end.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
The Waazkamheid chase is one of the all-time greats

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Desolation Island is a favorite of mine

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Arglebargle III posted:

I’m up to treasons harbor and up to desolation island each one got better and better. They’ve since been cruising along at “amazing” but yeah desolation island was definitely a peak (so far anyway)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm right in the middle of it for the second time. Love Sophie convincing both boys to take the other one to sea ASAP for their mental/physical/fiduciary health

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

jazzyjay posted:

The Waazkamheid chase is one of the all-time greats

It would be insidious to choose ... no, something not right there ... invidious ... but for me that's the most powerful dramatic moment in the series. "My god, oh my god" said Jack. "Six hundred men". gives me chills every time.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER

Genghis Cohen posted:

It would be insidious to choose ... no, something not right there ... invidious ... but for me that's the most powerful dramatic moment in the series. "My god, oh my god" said Jack. "Six hundred men". gives me chills every time.

Invidious is a capital word, it must be said.

But you're not wrong about the drama. The stakes, the sustained tension, the bloodymindedness of it, the sheer mystery of the pursuit "Whether we we killed some relative of his? His boy, perhaps, dead God forbid.” Its masterful storytelling.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
It's not fully explained because I'm assuming it's one of those things you'd probably know if you lived in that world, but what was Forshaw's punishment in relation to Jack's question about Abraham on the La Fléche? He mentions to Bonden about tying him to one of the cannons.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

screaden posted:

It's not fully explained because I'm assuming it's one of those things you'd probably know if you lived in that world, but what was Forshaw's punishment in relation to Jack's question about Abraham on the La Fléche? He mentions to Bonden about tying him to one of the cannons.

spanking

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Oh it's really that simple huh

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The norm for punishing young boys was a bare assed caning while the boy was tied down over a cannon.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Speaking of La Fléche, McLean was definitely responsible for the fire onboard, right?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
That was definitely my reading of it

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Genghis Cohen posted:

That's a great one, but I think my choice is "You cannot blame the bull because the bullfrog burst, the bull has no notion of the affair."

Or possibly "Off hats!" from The Reverse of the Medal.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

jazzyjay posted:

Invidious is a capital word, it must be said.

But you're not wrong about the drama. The stakes, the sustained tension, the bloodymindedness of it, the sheer mystery of the pursuit "Whether we we killed some relative of his? His boy, perhaps, dead God forbid.” Its masterful storytelling.

Another clever thing that I didn't remember until I re-read the book is that Jack doesn't fire the fatal shot, the marine officer does, while Jack has been knocked to the deck by a splinter.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Speaking of La Fléche, McLean was definitely responsible for the fire onboard, right?

Smoking in the alcohol fumes all night yeah.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Phenotype posted:

That's a great one, but I think my choice is "You cannot blame the bull because the bullfrog burst, the bull has no notion of the affair."

That one sticks with me, too. I don't even know if I agree with it, but it's such an interesting reflection on Jack's character and Stephen's take on morality. Honestly, the entire three-way relationship between that officer, his surgeon, and Jack is a completely amazing meditation on human frailty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Notahippie posted:

That one sticks with me, too. I don't even know if I agree with it, but it's such an interesting reflection on Jack's character and Stephen's take on morality. Honestly, the entire three-way relationship between that officer, his surgeon, and Jack is a completely amazing meditation on human frailty.

Where do you disagree? That's why I love that whole side plot as well -- here's Jack Aubrey, a model of the Royal Navy post-captain, and just being himself, without acting or artifice, forces the less-confident Clonfert to recognize all the ways he falls short, and the desperation behind all his showy antics meant to convince himself that he doesn't.

You can't blame the bull, because Jack had no notion of the affair. There's really no one to blame at all, just the unfortunate result of a frail man confronted with the true example of the character he so desperately wanted to become.