Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i didn’t know “lightning in a bottle” meant “it sucked rear end”

I mean I get this - they're by no means quality cinema, but they had phenomenal a-list actors in the right parts and the kids grew up to not be horrible actors for the most part.
And some of the directors were good enough.

Lightning in a bottle not so much as that they are going to be enduring masterpieces of film but that they were good enough in all the right ways to capture basically an entire generation of teens to young-adults.

Now they're at the right part of the nostalgia cycle to get those original viewers' kids (e.g, their parents forcing them to watch it because it's what I liked and you must be like me) and I'm sure that's a calculated as part of the risk but there's no way they'll put even a fragment of the effort it took to make those into a tv reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I don't think our parents had an equivalent of Harry Potter Adults or Disney Adults or me playing Mario 64 for my daughter before she is old enough to read the dialogue herself

My dad made a really half-assed attempt to make me like the Three Stooges but black-and-white stories about middle-aged men being very bad at their jobs didn't resonate with me for some reason

e: actually come to think of it my dad did give me his copy of Conan the Barbarian and warn me not to hold it open all the way so the spine didn't get damaged, and also pressured me to read LOTR when I was way too young to actually understand most of it, sorry, bad example, my dad was also a manchild

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I hope they can afford to run spiderverse 2 on a better pc so the fps isnt so bad

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

my theory is that all multiverse stuff is motivated by the knowledge that we have done irrevocable damage to the world in our "timeline", but our sunk cost fallacy reasoning is so deeply embedded in our thinking that we have to imagine a timeline where humanity never made those mistakes in the first place rather than like imagining something that can fix them.

This is how Matt Christman talks about 1914 lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

my theory is that all multiverse stuff is motivated by the knowledge that we have done irrevocable damage to the world in our "timeline", but our sunk cost fallacy reasoning is so deeply embedded in our thinking that we have to imagine a timeline where humanity never made those mistakes in the first place rather than like imagining something that can fix them.

you're correct in that it neatly sidesteps a lot of the critiques about "well why don't any of these superheroes actually use their powers to enact major societal change for the better?" by simply leaving the door open to the implication that there's at least one universe out there where it did happen

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Isn’t it just a comic book thing? I always thought they seemed novel, you know “What if Superman was a Communist?” “What if Spiderman took place in Elizabethan England?” “What if Batman was set in the Wild West?” all the way to “Cowboy Planet” “Roman Planet” etc.

e: Of course they worked for comics because the readers had longstanding familiarity with the characters and setting, Elizabethan Spiderman would presumably not be your first time with the character. Media conglomerates now want that same kind of brand relationship with audiences, which is why there are a half dozen marvel movies and shows, significant parts of which require you to have seen the other movies and shows.

It’s why the new Star Wars shows, even Andor, which is good, would not really make sense if you had never heard of or seen Star Wars before. I think this is most clear when things beyond the original movies are involved, because who the gently caress knows about a race of Boba Fetts or the Clone Wars as something beyond how Obi Wan mentions knowing Lukes dad?

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 15:08 on Apr 4, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

Isn’t it just a comic book thing? I always thought they seemed novel, you know “What if Superman was a Communist?” “What if Spiderman took place in Elizabethan England?” “What if Batman was set in the Wild West?” all the way to “Cowboy Planet” “Roman Planet” etc.

my understanding is that comic books could pull off that kind of thing because there was always a sort of explicit (or at least implicit) statement to the reader that this was not "canon", that the issue with Communist Superman had no bearing on everything else

I could be completely wrong on this, but it's harder to "tell" that to the viewer of a movie / TV show, so they have to create this "multiverse" excuse

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
it's useful shorthand to audiences for matters of fictional canon, it's a synthesis of earlier versions of this kind of speculative fiction and modern scientific ideas, AND it imagines a world where we don't have to fix our problems because we never made the dumb mistakes in the first place.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/KaiserBeamz/status/1642548369452150785?cxt=HHwWgsC9-cLCwMstAAAA

Wtf I didn't know Ryuichi Sakamato did a set on soul train.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
canon films soundtrack song

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Mandalorian does a good enough job of explaining things in the show as to not require the viewer to know about all these boba fetts running around (the viewer is told and shown mandalorians are a race of warriors who wear space burkas and are very secretive/were run off their homeworld, which is pretty much all you need to know). Like anything SW, it drops the narrative ball when Luke shows up and we're supposed to know who the heck this guy is with no explanation

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

lmao is that a Crank 2 reference at the end

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

The excuse making has reached the point where more and more absurd contradictions need to be injected into the discourse. Ridiculous hypotheticals raised as counterpoints to real issues.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Bar Crow posted:

The excuse making has reached the point where more and more absurd contradictions need to be injected into the discourse. Ridiculous hypotheticals raised as counterpoints to real issues.

right, it's like how we're all supposed to be worried about AI taking over our civilization when our civilization is already objectively on a crash course with oblivion. why am i supposed to care about someone, anyone else taking over? Because they'll get us there faster? Slower? Avoid oblivion entirely?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

gradenko_2000 posted:

another stage of the Scott Adkins project completed: just finished Debt Collectors (2020). I thought the gunfight at the end was kinda rough and janky, but I really liked the fight between Adkins and Mandylor in an alleyway while they bicker over money - it's like the iconic hallway scene from the Daredevil series, or the knock-down drag-out fight in They Live where it just goes on forever and nobody wants to throw in the towel. The rest of the time they're just two guys being dudes and it's great fun.

(I guess catching the fourth John Wick also counts as part of the project)

Both Debt Collector movies are really , really good until the final gunfight. I've watched a lot of interviews with adkins and he just has a distate for gun stuff and it kind of shows.
I think the alley fight with Mandylor is explicitly a they live reference and it's fantastic. They do have great chemistry throughout the movie.

Where are you at with Adkins now? Here's what I've seen him in the last 3.5 years:
avengement, ninja 1, ninja 2, debt collector, debt collectors, undisupted 2, 3, 4, accident man 1, accident man 2, eliminators, savage dog, seized, wolf warrior, one shot, triple threat, legacy of lies, ip man 4, wick 4, jarhead 3, abduction, close range, el gringo, assassination games, universal soldier 4

jarhead 3 & abduction are the only ones that really suck but a lot of those are just average

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Cookie Cutter posted:

If hack writers have landed on a way to unshackle themselves from rules about plot holes and consistency and physical limitation and just do whatever then I can only see it getting more prevalent. It's the MMA of movies

Yeah it’s this. It’s not writers longing for a reality that’s like Into the Breach where we can correct society with a universe hopper . hell I bet they’re like most people and don’t even think anything needs to be fixed.

They have a need to be able to pivot the plot and casting to satisfy their bosses and shareholders because everything is franchise. You don’t have to take an actors poo poo for more money if you can portal in a scab. And yeah they want to make the narrative work like wrestling, or indeed, comic books.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/tonytula/status/1544291733231501312
https://twitter.com/tonytula/status/1544337557500067842

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

indigi posted:

the best action happened way before 1815
hmm, perhaps they should do an avengers style series of movies? the hundred days can be the endgame of that.

napoleon will be a cg ogre

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Thank you, that's more succinct

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

loquacius posted:

I don't think our parents had an equivalent of Harry Potter Adults or Disney Adults or me playing Mario 64 for my daughter before she is old enough to read the dialogue herself

My dad made a really half-assed attempt to make me like the Three Stooges but black-and-white stories about middle-aged men being very bad at their jobs didn't resonate with me for some reason

e: actually come to think of it my dad did give me his copy of Conan the Barbarian and warn me not to hold it open all the way so the spine didn't get damaged, and also pressured me to read LOTR when I was way too young to actually understand most of it, sorry, bad example, my dad was also a manchild

when I was in the 7th grade I got suspended from school and my dad, who realized his usual punishments weren't working, decided to make me read The Hunt For Red October.

I didn't read that poo poo and to this day I'm convinced he hasn't either.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Oglethorpe posted:

what viewing order are you using

Seen a mix of suggestions but started with The Gathering pilot/movie, then will save Thirdspace and In the Beginning until around season 4 ep 9.

I know In the Beginning spoils a bunch of stuff and I'm generally sticking to airdate. Tho even the first couple eps spell out a lot of the plot points in ITB without actually showing them Londo and G'kars end, Sinclair's suicide run, Delenn's involvement in Sinclair's brainwashing and the death of their prophet, etc

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

loquacius posted:

My dad is a South American boomer so he's a Pelé Adult.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Maximo Roboto posted:

contemporized period dramas

This is much more simply explained by writers and studios not wanting people to yell at them on twitter, so now there is BIPOC LGBTQ representation regardless of time and place.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

margot robbie gonna make up for her past few box office bombs with this

https://twitter.com/barbiethemovie/status/1643282281610575877

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Michael Cera spotted.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Michael Cera spotted.

he's allan

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1643238276877410304

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

incorrect

https://twitter.com/David_Rudnick/status/1643287853454032896?s=20

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

time loops is time travel

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

simu liu is in half the scenes and is like 18th billed, weird

i definitely do not 'get' this movie though

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

it's a thing i know, from products!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

it looks like the trailer is entirely from early act 1 so they probably showed all his scenes already

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

it's trying to be a cult camp movie out of the gate

and there are like no modern directors that can hit that target so it'll be an interesting disaster

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I'd say it looks like poo poo but they're clearly hiding the actual movie so idk

the jokes are pretty bad though

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

it seems like it'll be fun, gosling is an underrated comic actor

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

he needs good writing though, he's not gonna make comedy from a bunch of C- lines. 45 year old Ken is an interesting choice though

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

it's trying to be a cult camp movie out of the gate

and there are like no modern directors that can hit that target so it'll be an interesting disaster

ari aster could have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

do people still like culty campy movies. I wanna make one. Seems like there used to be Cronenberg, Lynch, Waters, Jodorowsky etc but now we just have knockoffs. Titane was not that good.

It's just a movie michael, what could it cost? Ten million dollars?