Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ZombieCrew posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread. Sorry if it isnt.

I have an old john deer jx75 walk behind lawn mower. Its great. No complaints at all. One small part on the blade control lever is broken and its a $142.40 part. Should i just buy the part or is there some new lawn mower i should put that money towards? Every mower ive looked at just seems like it wont last more than 5 years. Any insight is appreciated.

$142 is a hell of a lot of money to spend on a 21" throwaway self propelled joe homeowner mower when you can get an entire brand new Husqvarna 21" self propelled with a Honda GVC160 for $215.

John Deere, like many others, are absolute thieves when it comes to parts. They have made an art of it.

And any decent quality mower of that sort is going to last a lot longer than 5 years if you check and change the oil and keep it indoors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
GVC160 is the way, the truth, and the light. My toro with one is going on 12 seasons now, just started up yesterday for the first time after winter with three pulls. After that, two pulls every time. Oil changes every year, sta-bil in the gas always.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

devmd01 posted:

GVC160 is the way, the truth, and the light. My toro with one is going on 12 seasons now, just started up yesterday for the first time after winter with three pulls. After that, two pulls every time. Oil changes every year, sta-bil in the gas always.

I enjoyed my gvc160 but everything around it failed every year. Governor went out, cables, belt for the self propel etc. The last 2 years with it i fixed something every 2nd or third week I mowed it seems. The engine itself was great though and it always started up fine.

I have a small enough yard for the 40v Ryobi mower and have been happy. E: 2 years with it so far and its good, just cant let the grass go too long or it doesn’t have the power vs gas to cut that down well.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Battery powered mowers are great now if your lot is less than than half an acre and your not trying cut off 6” off grass. Not having do deal with small gas engines is a nice quality of life improvement.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I love my Honda mower.

My Stihl kombi-system thing 2cycle motor started giving me problems last year and when I got it repaired (needed a new carburetor) I mentioned I had started running Trufuel in it and the tech said that stuff trashes engines. Anyone else heard of problems with it or is that just a grumpy mechanic myth?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I love my Honda mower.

My Stihl kombi-system thing 2cycle motor started giving me problems last year and when I got it repaired (needed a new carburetor) I mentioned I had started running Trufuel in it and the tech said that stuff trashes engines. Anyone else heard of problems with it or is that just a grumpy mechanic myth?

I have never heard that and there would be a lot of "trashed" engines if this were the case. Many of them belonging to me.

Is 10 years of usage not enough? Because it's been in my crap off season for at least that long, although in the last few years I've been using marine sta-bil and it does the job just fine for something sitting for a year or two. But trufuel starts much easier in the cold.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Im realizing that I don’t remember if I added sta-bil to my gas last season. Guess Ill find out when I try to start my cheap troy-bilt next month!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I love my Honda mower.

It absolutely does not trash engines. Every FD around here runs it in all their gas-powered equipment, and I think the USCG puts it in their emergency pumps as well. It's amazing stuff.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Calidus posted:

Battery powered Push mowers are great now if your lot is less than than half an acre and your not trying cut off 6” off grass. Not having do deal with small gas engines is a nice quality of life improvement.

Fixed :eng101:

JK but I still love my little Scott. All I need is a manual trimmer and I’m practically full Luddite

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It seemed like probably a grumpy mechanic myth who wanted to sell me stihl brand premix, but thanks for confirming. The engine starting to have problems about the same time I switched fuels must just be coincidence.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Dr. Despair posted:

Im realizing that I don’t remember if I added sta-bil to my gas last season. Guess Ill find out when I try to start my cheap troy-bilt next month!

usually not an issue if it's cold out. I buy some E free gas towards the end of the season and just put that in the tanks for my outdoor gas equipment.
My snowblower gets gas drained and run until it dies becuase gas sitting in the heat isn't great.

This is an anecdote if you murder your equipment dont' blame me but has worked for years for me.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
My push mower is one of two small engines that hasn't given me trouble, no oil changes or stabil in at least 20 years and I'm still expecting it to start when I dig it out. My Stihl chainsaw never gives me trouble but I take care of it and it never sits too long.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

That Works posted:

I enjoyed my gvc160 but everything around it failed every year.

I must be lucky, the only thing that has broken are a couple of wheels due to plastic fatigue. That, and the stupid design for the handle that puts a lot of stress on the bolts that connect the handle to the mower when you turn. Over time the aluminum threading was cleared out and bolts would just fall out. Judicious use of a drill and some grade8 hardware has solved that problem permanently.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

devmd01 posted:

I must be lucky, the only thing that has broken are a couple of wheels due to plastic fatigue. That, and the stupid design for the handle that puts a lot of stress on the bolts that connect the handle to the mower when you turn. Over time the aluminum threading was cleared out and bolts would just fall out. Judicious use of a drill and some grade8 hardware has solved that problem permanently.

Could be, or me just unlucky. The engine was fine. I am very happy to have all electric lawn tools now though. Far less fuss in the end and a huge unexpected upside is how quiet they are as well

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

i worry that my lanw will not work well with electric battery powered.. I have a very wet back lawn which cannot be mowed for the first bit of spring so I end up having to really power thorugh it.

when my gas mower dies I'd like to replace it with battery.. but it'll probably run 100 years

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Hand-held two-stroke engines are going to seem so loving wild to future generations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

tater_salad posted:

i worry that my lanw will not work well with electric battery powered.. I have a very wet back lawn which cannot be mowed for the first bit of spring so I end up having to really power thorugh it.

when my gas mower dies I'd like to replace it with battery.. but it'll probably run 100 years

Yeah really wet stuff doesn’t work well with the electric mower i have but i got a pretty cheaper end one. Not sure if the higher end ones are clearly better in that regard.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ryanrs posted:

Hand-held two-stroke engines are going to seem so loving wild to future generations.

Like lead drinking vessels, asbestos, mercury as medicine, whale oil, and the ability to buy dynamite out of a catalog.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

- And you had to wear kevlar chaps in case the machines turned on you and attacked?

- Sort of, yeah. But the chainsaws didn't have AI, only a primitive mechanical thirst for human blood.

- OK grandpa, time for your jello.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Whenever someone gets around to making an electric equivalent to a 60+cc two stroke saw you're probably supposed to wear the same PPE. Or just keep the bar away from your body.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I thought electric chainsaws were already more dangerous than gas because the kevlar chaps don't bog them as effectively as a gas saw?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

I thought electric chainsaws were already more dangerous than gas because the kevlar chaps don't bog them as effectively as a gas saw?

You can’t stall an electric chainsaw like you can gas powered one. You can only jam it up enough that it doesn’t have enough torque to turn. The trigger is still functional even when jammed up, which makes unjamming more dangerous.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

My brushless Milwaukee sure does stall if the chain binds. If the chain stops, the motor gives up instantly.

And of course you pull the battery out before unjamming it.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Other than pinching the chain nothing has stopped my Stihl, I'd be interested in how well the chaps stop a bigger saw. The brushless electric saws lock out when stalled, and stall easy.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
I'm looking for a benchtop blast cabinet. Cheaper is better. Any recommendations? I see some on harbor freight, also amazon.

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.
I just got a laser engraver and while it did come with eye protection, I have a big head and wear glasses. Any recommendations for a brand/model for laser safety glasses that I can grab that will fit over prescription lens?

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Continuing mower talk, it looks like i might be back to mowing my own lawn after 17 years of easy street. I know I want electric, but everything I have is makita and I've loved it, but I never see their mower mentioned in electric mower talk. Anyone need to talk me out of it?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

bobua posted:

Continuing mower talk, it looks like i might be back to mowing my own lawn after 17 years of easy street. I know I want electric, but everything I have is makita and I've loved it, but I never see their mower mentioned in electric mower talk. Anyone need to talk me out of it?

I LOVE my Makita mower. I might sing a different tune if I had more than a half acre to mow but the thing is somehow beasty as gently caress and also somehow works great on my pretanatutally wet lawn. Just make sure you have some of the 4/5 mah batteries and you're good.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Makita are good value and performance if you are already in the battery system.

Milwaukee is top dog if you’re willing spend all the cheddar. Ego’s Select Cut XP is probably number 2 but is expensive and Ego customer service has apparently gone down hill over the last few years. Green works is also pretty good and the available at Costco with a crazy battery warranty.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

darkspider42 posted:

I just got a laser engraver and while it did come with eye protection, I have a big head and wear glasses. Any recommendations for a brand/model for laser safety glasses that I can grab that will fit over prescription lens?

Please also make sure there are no other people or pets around when you use that thing who could be instantly blinded for life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9hIXT8DMUU

Styropyro suggests laser safety goggles from Survival Lasers and they're not sponsoring him:
https://www.survivallaser.com/Safety_Goggles/cat556089_826120.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMVWW-bmKwQ&t=106s

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

bobua posted:

I got a 21” non self propelled Ryobi 40v for $200

I do not like it.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I've had the 20" brushless 40v ryobi for 4 years now, still going strong. No complaints.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I've got a.. 17" (I think I forget) One+ Ryobi mower and it's dope. I have that much yard and it does take like 2-3 batteries though, depending on how thorough I am

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I have the Ryobi 40v 20” brushless push only version. If i mow when dry and do it every week once its warm then its fine and i can do generally the entire yard on just under one full battery. I have a second 40v battery for the leaf blower in case but only need it 1-2 times per year.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Edit: Dead Deal :rip:
If anyone needs some cheap 4" skinny wheels.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 8, 2023

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

bobua posted:

I really like my Ego 21" non-self-propelled mower. It's got two stacked blades and you can swap em out but I always just leave the mulching one on there regardless of whether I'm bagging or not. However, I've only had it for a year so I can't speak to longevity.

Edit whoops this was 2 days old, that's what I get for not refreshing first

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 9, 2023

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Feel like there's been chat before about a good website for bare tool deals, maybe refurbs or somesuch. Anyone have any recs (beyond ebay)?

Specifically I'm thinking about getting a milwaukee portable vacuum thing to go with the batteries I already have.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

tangy yet delightful posted:

Feel like there's been chat before about a good website for bare tool deals, maybe refurbs or somesuch. Anyone have any recs (beyond ebay)?

Specifically I'm thinking about getting a milwaukee portable vacuum thing to go with the batteries I already have.

Direct tools outlet is the one that's mentioned a lot, but unfortunately they seem to only have Ryobi, Rigid, and Hoover.
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/

I'm seeing some refurbs on acme tools which I've heard of but not ordered from personally:
https://www.acmetools.com/milwaukee/refurbished/search/?cgid=categories

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

tangy yet delightful posted:

I've got the milwaukee 12v portable shopvac for all the shredded wood the dog leaves around upstairs. I can't tell you anywhere to get it cheap but I recommend it, it works well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

As an FYI for all was deeply disappointed with the Ryobi 18v stick vac. Completely underpowered.