Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nakar posted:

Vanya Shah has put out a hit on Dawood Rangan, which is why the Kashmirian is even present. Technically that attempt on Rangan's life would probably fail since Kashmirian can't pull it off without 47's guiding hand, but Shah would just try again. In general it appears that Shah, Rangan, and Kale are all at least willing to kill each other off if not actively trying to.

Rangan also put out a hit on Shah with the same guy, didn't he? He told Rangan about it to play both sides and then get in good with their boss.

khwarezm posted:

I kind of feel like when you are trying to organize a counter conspiracy to the Illuminati you are inevitably going to have to work with some shady characters, so I can give Grey a bit of a break.

Also there's a conversation at some point between Grey and 47 where they basically indicate that 47's always been the better planner and Grey is more of a seat of his pants, plan for now and not ahead kind of guy. He hires that lady in the Hitman 2 tutorial. He tells her to keep her hands clean, knowing she isn't that type. And she plays along SORTA, but you find the dead couple in her garage, and you can overhear her talking about potential mess against his will in the future. Sure, he planned as far as "I'll tell them not to, they will do what they're paid for," but he doesn't quite cross the thought line into "Her existence is getting other people killed in ways I don't like."

Discendo Vox posted:

You, like the devs, are trying to have both sides of the power fantasy here- raising the ludicrous shadow government as a villain, and also having it be a construct representative of reality, while presenting reality as a nonexistent point for comparison. Your citations are similarly selective. You want the game to be well-written, but it's still not- even in your chosen focus of defense, before we get to the retconned childhood friend and amnesia plotline.

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1298041167628480512

terrible snipe, but if I have to read through pages of that to get to the end of the thread, so be it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Sir, you're tresparsin'.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

SASO x17
Sniper Assassin x17
Escalation Track 1
Escalation Track 2
HITMAN 1 levels mastered
HITMAN 2 levels mastered
HITMAN 3 levels mastered
Elusive Target Arcade Complete

Guys, I'm almost allowed to play Freelancer.

HITMAN 3 levels done now too. I'm basically trying to unlock literally every reward prior to going ham on Freelancer. Why? I dunno. Game is fun, man.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

HITMAN 3 levels done now too. I'm basically trying to unlock literally every reward prior to going ham on Freelancer. Why? I dunno. Game is fun, man.

You should probably add 115 featured contracts to the list then.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

khwarezm posted:

I don't think the Elusive targets should be treated with much seriousness at all, they aren't canon as far as I know and they clearly weren't created with much consideration for the wider plot or characters in mind, certainly the bookkeeper is mentioned by nobody outside of his mission.

During the ICA database deletion sequence in Chongqing several ETs show up on the monitor. If you let Diana and Tamara Vidal exhaust their conversations in Mendoza, Vidal will repeatedly ask if 47 was responsible for certain deaths. I don't know about other ETs, but the Undying is certainly mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XUuu_Xp2r4
(also features the Hitman: Absolution mention)

Does it make sense that 47 repeatedly showed up to the same location? Did he really return to S'gail to kill the Appraiser and the Stowaway? Or did he take time off during his incredibly important mission to take care of those people as well?

Perhaps it is best to not get caught up in such details and keep some of the "magic" alive. Like how does 47 change clothing in seconds and why do they all fit perfectly? How can one briefcase defy what we know of gravity?!

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 3, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ran into a conversation I'd never encountered before in Paris of all places recently. Victor's assistant who hangs out near the kitchen just behind the main bar, after he's told Victor that the FSB have dropped the investigation into him, takes a call from his dad who is suffering a heart attack. He constantly keeps putting his dad on hold to take business calls, then comes back and complains that his dad is making less and less sense until he finally just doesn't bother (or forgets!) to take him off hold after finishing up one of his business calls!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzA6aUB5nq4

See, this is the kind of use of objects I never really think about, but are absolutely excellent.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jesus Christ that's clever :stare:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I never really use the flash phone because I associate it with the flash grenade, which I can never seem to get to work. Somebody always doesn't get affected by the blast and there goes your drink poisonin' / evidence deletin' / neck snappin'

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Nakar posted:

Alerted maps just show off the insane brokenness of NPC telepathy. Since people are so used to resets out of SA loss conditions, it's less noticeable than in Freelancer where you're more likely to just roll with it. Alerted maps can just cause entire swaths of the NPCs to magically compromise you and initiate combat without any explanation or reason. Every guard is jumpier on Master/Alerted and it becomes even more hosed even more quickly.

The May patch has got to tone that down some. I don't think they can fix some of the greater bullshit inconsistencies like gunshots making more noise depending on where the target is hit, or mega-panics being initiated by a single missed shot, or sniping from half a mile out somehow putting you in combat, but at least they can address the nonsensical transmission of information to NPCs that have no reason to be aware of it.

After an alerted Ambrose Island run that ended with a full military force appearing when I took out a target in his house with a silenced pistol and no actual witnesses, I agree with this assessment.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Regrettable posted:

You should probably add 115 featured contracts to the list then.

oh...oh god

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Yeah, there are 17 unlocks behind 2 featured contract tracks. The first track is 45 featured contracts on Hitman and Hitman 2 levels and the second is 70 featured contracts on Hitman 3 levels.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The H1-H2 featured contract track is also insanely annoying because they haven't done a ton of FCs on those maps since H3 came out. The old FCs still exist in the game, you just have to scroll back a dozen times to see them.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I recommend clearing at least 5 Hitman 3 FCs in track 2 before trying to get too far down Track 1- the first couple unlock a second breaching charge, can help bypass or simplify some of the explosive device FCs in track 1. The wrench available 20 FCs down track 1 also has some utility, but it's a lot further along.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 4, 2023

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah I think I got up to the Arkian suit on track 1 then just decided I'd finish it when they released more FCs on those levels because it was taking too long to scroll all the way back to the legacy ones.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dabir posted:

I picked the AI ending, which philosophically probably isn't that different. Except that the Illuminati are really obviously going to cut you out and kill you the first chance they get, I guess, whereas Icarus needs you around and it's obvious you're going to have some influence on the merger because if all it needs is any old nano aug it would just have gone with Bob.

Illuminati aren't cutting me out of poo poo, for I have a mono molecular nanosword and they have not.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I stopped caring about the specifics of featured contracts very quickly when I was getting the H1-H2 unlocks. Last I checked you could just go in and kill the targets however you wanted, at the risk of not getting a high score, of course. They're usually designed with a hardcore audience in mind, who know where everything is and how to exploit various bollocks mechanics in the blink of an eye, so if you're not into that just play however you want... unless they changed this for H3, because I haven't checked, lol.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I stopped caring about the specifics of featured contracts very quickly when I was getting the H1-H2 unlocks. Last I checked you could just go in and kill the targets however you wanted, at the risk of not getting a high score, of course. They're usually designed with a hardcore audience in mind, who know where everything is and how to exploit various bollocks mechanics in the blink of an eye, so if you're not into that just play however you want... unless they changed this for H3, because I haven't checked, lol.
No that still works, unless there is specifically a complication that you have to do to be able to exit. The tracks only count contract completions and there's no bonus reward for SA, so feel free to ignore all the rules that you can.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I thought it was fun to try for SA on all of them and felt like I learned a lot more about the game by doing so. I also thought a lot of them were interesting and fun challenges. Some were bullshit but most of them were pretty good. My least favorite were the ones with 5 targets that made you wear a different disguise for each kill so I skipped over most of those. Even with those there were a couple of good ones, though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Oh, also gotta get max mastery on all the Hitman sniper maps. That's actually a lot les painful than the featured contracts, tbh- once you get all the challenges, you can look up a stable SA approach you can replicate and do a couple runs when you feel like it, making gradual progress.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 4, 2023

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Regrettable posted:

I thought it was fun to try for SA on all of them and felt like I learned a lot more about the game by doing so. I also thought a lot of them were interesting and fun challenges. Some were bullshit but most of them were pretty good. My least favorite were the ones with 5 targets that made you wear a different disguise for each kill so I skipped over most of those. Even with those there were a couple of good ones, though.

IO is very bad at picking good contracts, but on the occasion when they do (or more recently when they farm them out to youtubers) they are often very educational. I've thought about doing a contract to teach people how to get push kills off of coins, use propane canisters next to smokers, things like that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The contract where you had to have your gun out at all times and got a 5 second countdown before mission failure if you holstered it, only there was an exit that took longer than 5 seconds to play so you automatically failed if you used it, was I am going to put out a contract on whoever made this and whoever approved it and the justice system will say I was right and what I did was good times.

Also the one where you automatically failed if you climbed anything, including vaulting over tiny ledges!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The worst are contracts that force you to use a secret exit. Like, gently caress off with that poo poo. Nothing makes a secret exit lame like having to look it up because you can't leave the goddamn map due to some bore forcing you to find a paddle or crowbar.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Stories like this are why I never expect to 100% a game. Too much tedious poo poo, too frequently.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh, also gotta get max mastery on all the Hitman sniper maps. That's actually a lot les painful than the featured contracts, tbh- once you get all the challenges, you can look up a stable SA approach you can replicate and do a couple runs when you feel like it, making gradual progress.

I might not be particularly fond of most featured contracts, but I draw the line at having to play the sniper maps! Those achievements/unlockables shall forever allude me.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jerusalem posted:

Also the one where you automatically failed if you climbed anything, including vaulting over tiny ledges!

I understand the point in this one - it’s meant to force you not to use “agility”, so no climbing drainpipes, ledges etc - everything must be done like a “normal” civilian. The problem is that the agility tag also bans vaulting over small ledges etc, there’s no way to refine it further.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Ghostlight posted:

The worst are contracts that force you to use a secret exit. Like, gently caress off with that poo poo. Nothing makes a secret exit lame like having to look it up because you can't leave the goddamn map due to some bore forcing you to find a paddle or crowbar.

Also felt this way about the Sgail escalation where you're taking out the Constant's butler. For the third level of it, you need to use a lead pipe. Of which there's precisely one in the level, so if you don't know where it is already then you're either searching the entire map or else looking at Hitmaps. If the game showed you where it was or did something to get you to route through there it'd be an interesting 'educational' escalation at least, but nope.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I think there are enough featured contracts at this point that you can mostly pick the ones without a lot of requirements, even if you want to Silent Assassin them. Just realize that if you've got less than 3 targets for a contract there is something tricky going on.

The worst featured contracts to me were the Eurogamer ones because they were not designed with SA in mind. Amateurs!

Nakar posted:

The H1-H2 featured contract track is also insanely annoying because they haven't done a ton of FCs on those maps since H3 came out. The old FCs still exist in the game, you just have to scroll back a dozen times to see them.

The oldest ones don't have thumbnail art so you can tell when you have arrived at them. Just know that moving your mouse to the edge of the screen is a lot faster than acrolling your mousewheel!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If for someone reason you haven't seen John Wick 4 yet btw go ahead and do that. You might recognize a set piece! The nightclub in both are based on the same real life one.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think the real moral calculus here is that providence is good because:

- their origami pigeon logo is really cool
- calling their secret couriers 'heralds' is also cool
- the Constant is great haha I love that creepy rear end in a top hat

this is what Blairites actually believe

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

I love the Hitman: WoA storyline. I don't actually think anyone's gonna sing its praises as a top-tier super-intelligent script worthy of the game-equivalent of an Oscar or anything, but it's a really solid spy/assassin story.

Fun Illuminati bad guys, personal twists and turns involving the hero, and fun villains and sidekicks, all to serve the function of leading the player through lots of fun missions with fun variety of gameplay, scenery, and goals.

I think the villains are memorable, there are tons of fun quotes, and I look back fondly upon the entire thing, even divorced from the gameplay.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Stories like this are why I never expect to 100% a game. Too much tedious poo poo, too frequently.

I might be the only person in existence who liked Absolution. I loaded it up about 3 years ago to try and 100% the achievements just for something to do and found out that you can't. The achievements related to Contracts are impossible now because the Contracts server was taken down due to the EU GDPR.

That made me realize I already had Hitman 2 in my Steam profile and hadn't played it and well, here I am.

Certainly won't be 100%ing this game tho.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Don’t go back for the safe on 4 target alerted Colorado.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I might be the only person in existence who liked Absolution.

It came free with a video card I bought, and since I hadn't even played Blood Money it just seemed like a decently fun third person action game. It was good enough that I played all the way through it. That generally positive memory is what made me leap on to the Hitman (2016) subscription as soon as podcasters started raving about it, so I'll always hold Absolution in a higher light than most just for that.

Also the Absolution suit was my favorite in Hitman, just because it's fun looking disheveled and doing John Wick poo poo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Red Oktober posted:

Don’t go back t...o... Colorado.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Ghostlight posted:

This might legitimately be my fault. But I will not apologize because it's IOI's fault to have not had the Required Exit complication actually tell you in advance which exit is required despite 4+ years of requests for that. :colbert:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Goodbye legendary silver baller and legendary short baller; the latter of which I had just purchased on that mission.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I never take Colorado or Marrakesh after the first syndicate because there's always a nonzero chance they'll just kill you. As annoying as Bangkok can be, it won't do that. honorable mention to morgue Hokkaido where the zone is trespassing but sitting up is hostile

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Red Oktober posted:

Standing by the exit in Berlin, all of my targets are dead. Sweat drips down my forehead as my eyes dart from my assault rifle to the 2 guards right next to me, then to my "kill 3 guards with an assault rifle" objective.

*20 seconds later*

"How unfortunate..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Whenever I finish a mission and I'm not exiting under fire, I always take any explosives I have with me and throw 'em, since you can't take 'em with you. I was finishing up on Paris a couple days ago and had a remote explosive or something still in my pocket, so I tossed it over the front gate, triggered it, and exited the level...

...which is how I found out that there are people back there, costing me Kill Only Targets, No Bodies Found, and (still mad about this) SASO bonuses on alerted Paris.